Life Goes On by PadyandMoony
Summary: Sequel to “The name is Potter Black!” where Sirius adopted Harry as a toddler and raised him at Hogwarts. This is what happened after the events of the end of Harry’s fourth year. Must read “The name is Potter Black!” first.
Categories: Misc > Keepers of the Snitch Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Other, Remus, Sirius, Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: The name is Potter Black!
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 83426 Read: 112508 Published: 22 Aug 2009 Updated: 22 Aug 2009
The downfall by PadyandMoony

Later Harry didn’t know if he was relieved or angry that he hadn’t managed completely on his own.

Poppy shook her wand once again as if she was trying to make it work properly when the double doors to the Hospital Wing were thrown open and in stalked Sirius and Remus.

“What happened?” Sirius cried. “Hagrid said he was bitten!”

“Yes, he was but Severus here already provided the antidote,” Poppy pointed annoyed at Severus who was sitting at the edge of the bed. When would people learn not to barge in her territory as if the castle was on fire? “I am just closing the wounds,” she finished with a frown as she waved her wand over Harry’s arm and hand.

“What was Hagrid thinking?” Sirius groaned.

“He wanted me to talk to the Runespoor dad! But I couldn’t! I don’t know why. This was not his fault!” Harry tried to defend Hagrid.

“Unfortunately that is not what professor Umbridge thinks,” Dumbledore said as he calmly entered the ward. “She just came to inform me that with this incident she has no choice but to let Hagrid go.”

“But- this was not his fault!” Harry cried. “I couldn’t talk to the Runespoor!”

“I suspected you would have lost that ability along with Voldemort’s soul Harry. I should have told you sooner but it just slipped my mind. I know this was not Hagrid’s fault but unfortunately Umbridge has already sent the owl requesting his dismissal to the Minister,” Dumbledore said grimly. “And I can’t do anything. Cornelius gave her that power.”

Madam Pomfrey shook her wand once again and Remus asked worried:

“What’s wrong Poppy?”

“I keep getting this reading wrong,” she said turning Harry’s arm around. “I don’t see any more cuts but my diagnostic charm tells me he is still wounded,” she waved her wand again and stopped at the back of Harry’s hand, “Right here.”

Harry’s eyes widened and he tried to recover swiftly, “You’re probably just tired. It’s stressing work taking care of all of us students here. It’s okay. I’m fine.” He patted her and tried to get out of the bed but was stopped by Severus.

“Let me try Poppy,” he waved his wand over Harry’s squirming hand, which he held firmly in his and nodded. “Yes, there’s something here.”

“I can’t see anything,” Sirius frowned.

Remus looked firmly at Harry and asked, “Harry, does this have anything to do with you favoring your left hand lately?” Shoot, he knew Severus would tell on him!

“No,” Harry tried to fake a puzzled face. “You are obviously doing this wrong- er- Grandpa, there’s no need for that.”

But Dumbledore just waved his wand in a complicated pattern and nodded. “Concealing charm. Quite strong one,” he muttered. “You haven’t learned this kind yet Harry,” he stared into Harry’s eyes and started chanting while waving his wand over Harry’s hand.

“No,” Harry pleaded and tried to bolt but Sirius grabbed him in a firm embrace and Severus did not let go of his hand.

 “What are you hiding pup? What’s wrong?” Sirius asked worried.

 Dumbledore kept chanting and to Harry’s horror angry red words started appearing on his hand, which looked inflamed. The words hadn’t been healing like the first night for a long time now and you could see the scabs around the wounds.

Severus was livid as he turned Harry’s hand over and read, “I must not tell lies! Where did you get a blood quill Harry? Why would you use one?” he hissed dangerously and Remus swore.

“LINES!” Remus cried. “You promised me she was just having you do lines Harry! That’s why the bond kept activating; she was slicing your hand!”

“Technically I was slicing my hand,” Harry tried joking. Okay, those scowls and glares tell me they can’t joke about this yet! “I didn’t lie, they are lines.”

“Why? Why didn’t you tell us?” Sirius asked lost and then growled getting up, “I’m going to kill that bitch!”

“No dad!” Harry cried grabbing Sirius around the arms and holding him tight, “That’s what she wants! When I said I would tell you she was practically jumping up with glee begging me to have you confront her! I can handle this!”

“Harry,” Sirius said with a pained look at Harry’s pleading face and cupping his cheek. “You shouldn’t have to handle this. We are the adults here. It’s our job to protect you not the other way around.”

Harry shrugged and said, “You three have always protected me. This time it was my turn,” his eyes were begging them to understand, “She could send Uncle Sev back to jail or if she found out about Uncle Moony, she could have him executed or something. And what if she found out about little Julie? She was trying to break me dad, and I wasn’t going to let her.”

“Your intentions are noble Harry,” Dumbledore said and lifted up a hand to silence Severus and Remus who looked ready to yell at him, “But your execution was poorly done. What she did was illegal, and had you come to us sooner, we could have gotten rid of her right away, no matter who she has behind her. But I think maybe you can help now.”

“How?” Harry asked. “If I report her she’ll just say I’m lying. That I did this to myself.”

“I think I have just the way,” Dumbledore smiled mischievously.

 

xxx

“You know Mr. Potter,” Umbridge said smiling sweetly as she lifted the glamour that Dumbledore had reapplied while Harry sat at his usual desk and took the blood quill. “I almost thought of letting you off this detention after the help you gave me today. By this time tomorrow your friend Hagrid will be gone from this school.”

“I wasn’t planning on helping you Professor,” Harry said through gritted teeth.

“But you did none the less,” she smiled and stared at Harry who was frozen on the spot. “What are you waiting for Mr. Potter? Start writing.”

“Are you sure I should use this quill here? Not one of mine?,” he said pointing at the blood quill.

“Yes Mr. Potter. Just like in every other detention you had, you will use my quill,” she said sweetly. “I want the message to sink in.”

“Okay,” Harry said. “I just wanted to make sure,” he touched the tip to the parchment when a voice from behind came. , “That will be enough Mr. Potter Black!”

Umbridge jumped as, from thin air, Madam Bones and Auror Shacklebolt materialized. “Shacklebolt, please arrest Madam Umbridge for possession of illegal artifacts and child abuse.”

“What?” Umbridge spluttered shocked as Shacklebolt waved his wand swiftly disarming her and was at her sides handcuffing her in a second. “You can’t do this! Cornelius will hear about this!”

“Oh, yes. I truly want to hear why the Minister approved of illegal dark objects being used on the students.”

“What! No, Cornelius didn’t-“ she was silenced by a wave of Madam Bones’ wand.

“You have the right to an attorney when you are interrogated Dolores. If I were you I would use that right because this is not looking good for you or our dear Minister,” Madam Bones said in a false friendly tone as she bagged the blood quill and gave Harry back his Invisibility Cloak.

Harry couldn’t help but skip happily behind Madam Bones as they left the office and Madam Bones waved her wand sealing the office, “My forensics team will come examine this office later to make sure we have all evidence. You did well contacting me Albus,” she said to Dumbledore who had been waiting outside with a scowling Sirius, a calm Remus and a smirking Severus. “You, young man,” she said turning to Harry in a stern tone, “Should have reported this earlier but I do commend your noble reasons and your acting skills. You managed for Umbridge to confess without suspecting you. Well done, if you ever think of following your parents’ footsteps please talk to me.”

“Yes, well,” Sirius said puffing his chest out proudly. “Harry has to go see Poppy about that hand. She couldn’t heal it earlier or Umbridge would have suspected something.”

“I’m afraid there will be scarring,” Bones said grimly. “Dark Objects tend to leave scars that magic can’t take away but she will be able to heal the inflammation.” She smiled slightly and nodded to Harry, “We will see you at her hearing then Mr. Potter Black. It seems you have been visiting us enough so please stay out of trouble.”

“I’ll try,” Harry sighed and Sirius ushered him towards the Hospital Wing muttering under his breath.

“What’s that dad?”

“I said, I wanted to have a go at Umbridge, but no, I’m an adult Moony says. I have to this by the law, he says.”

Harry shook his head.

“Severus had his fun, why couldn’t I?”

“Because Uncle Sev was very Slytherin about it.”

“Yeah, speaking of being Slytherin,” Sirius smirked. “He made sure to order everyone from his House to be at the Entrance Hall right in time to see the toad escorted out.”

“He had already gained some respect back after the “Blackie” incident. Most students were backing off with their misbehavior,” Remus commented from behind and Sirius jumped.

“MOONY!” Sirius cried. “I thought you had stayed with Albus.”

Remus shrugged smirking, “As I was saying. Only Malfoy’s gang had kept going, and I have a feeling their self preservation will stop them.”

Harry looked skeptical, “Only if the Minister goes down too.”

“Oh,” Sirius smiled. “He will. By the way Harry, Ms. Skeeter is waiting for you after we see Poppy. And afterwards you and me are going to have a long lecture about why keeping secrets from your dear father is very wrong, and when you absolutely have to come to us for help. Hum, Moony, Hospital Wing is over there.” He finished pointing towards the stairs when Remus made to turn towards the staff wing.

“I know,” Remus smiled. “You have that under control. There is someone waiting for me at our quarters. Oh, by the way Sirius, please do take your time.” And he skipped off.

Harry smirked, “Uncle Moony and Tonks sure did not waste any time.”

Xxx

Remus had been correct; like magic Severus regained the reigns of his house, especially after the Quibbler had printed all the sordid details of Harry’s detention and Dolores Umbridge’ arrest. They were now asking if Minister Fudge would dawdle with her trial as he was doing with the suspected Death Eaters. In answer to that Madam Bones had declared, “The Minister is implicated in this trial since he appointed Madam Umbridge himself. As a subject of investigation he is forbidden to have any say in this trial. And we at the DMLE and Wizengamot want to make it clear we do not condone child abuse. Madam Umbridge will be prosecuted as soon as possible. And she will be questioned with Veritasserum to establish the Minister’s involvement.”

“Even if he did not order the use of a blood quill, Minister Fudge’s judgment is quite clearly questionable. Should he still be able to lead the Wizarding World as if we were a dictatorship?” was Skeeter’s closing question.

As she had been dismissed with  just cause all Professor Umbridge’s decision’s had been revoked, very much to Angelina Johnson’s pleasure since she hadn’t been able to find good replacements for Harry and the twins. The players she had found didn’t quite cut it but Harry pointed out they should stay as reserves so they could be prepared for next year after the twins graduate. And Ginny, who had been chosen as Seeker, could be a Chaser replacement as well.

Remus had been nominated temporary DADA teacher while Albus looked for someone. He assured Remus he had already been negotiating with someone but this person could only start after Christmas. Apparently Albus had never thought Umbridge would last long.

Even though the Prophet  had been quiet about the case, the public, especially parents were demanding some explanations. Not many believed Fudge’s claims of ignorance, after all Umbridge was his second in command. Things were looking grim for the Minister and after being inundated by Howlers the day after Umbridge was tried and declared guilty and sent to Azkaban for five years, the Wizengamot asked for a vote of no confidence.

Wizards and witches everywhere did not agree with Umbridge’s statement of “I did what was necessary to keep the Minister safe. The Potter boy had to be eliminated.” And even though she said Fudge had no knowledge of her methods, the wizarding population believed a leader should be aware of what someone he granted so much power to was doing.

 Thus, Fudge lost horribly and the Prophet miraculously came back to life and to Harry’s side claiming Harry had been saying the truth all along and he had defeated Voldemort, and Umbridge was clearly unbalanced and deserved to be locked up for trying to maim their savior, and wishing new Minister Amelia Bones good luck in her post after printing her statement that she would be making drastic changes with the way the Ministry worked.

Sirius snorted as he let the paper fall on the Head table.

“Yeah, now that Fudge was voted out they are back on our side.”

“The Prophet has always gone with the Ministry. Its views depend on what the current Minister thinks,” Minerva snorted. “But I do think Amelia will be a good change.”

“She is a fair woman,” Remus nodded and eyed the Slytherins.

“How are things going with your House Severus?’

“They have been better since the ‘Blackie’ episode but after Umbridge left and I was able to instill the punishment I had dolled after the Quidditch match, they have been leaning towards me. Especially after Minister Bones stated that after Umbridge’s trial the captured Death Eater’s trials were the most pressing order of business. I think Karkaroff and Nott’s are scheduled for next week. And with that, little Malfoy lost a lot of support. If that served to make him behave I’d be happy but he is acting as if everyone is being utmost unjust with him. He broke the rules and I did what I said I would. Had it been any other player they too would lose their position.”

“We know that,” Sirius said flatly. “But Malfoy was raised to think everyone owes him everything. Believe me, I know. I was raised like that too. But Minnie here showed me I was wrong in no time. And at first I thought it was an absurd idea. Remember?”

“I definitely do. You were one pampered little prince. I remember your outrage the first time I sent you to detention. Started spluttering about writing to your father,” she snorted and then she glared. “Don’t call me Minnie.”

“Yes, but you changed. I hope we are not too late for him,” Severus said grimly.

 

Xxx

“Thank you for coming Mr. Lupin. I know you have a hectic schedule with trying to undo what Umbridge did,” Minister Bones said as she ushered Remus inside her office.

“Not as hectic as I imagine yours is,” Remus said pleasantly as he took the offered seat and Minister Bones smiled as she took hers.

“As you may have heard I am making some very much needed changes. Karkaroff and Nott’s trials have already passed and they have been sentenced to life in Azkaban, and we learned a lot of interesting things such as the former-Minister making deals with Karkaroff to implicate Severus.”

Remus nodded and asked, “Is action being taken?”

“Aside from losing his post, there is nothing we can do. Fudge didn’t actually tell Karkaroff to lie. He just said that if Karkaroff could help to put Severus away he would be granted a deal. He never asked what Karkaroff would do. Deals are often made to get a bigger fish. It’s not against the law. If he had instructed Karkaroff to lie  it would be another thing. Fudge was also questioned about the campaign support he received from Malfoy and Nott and he had no knowledge of their crimes, only suspect them. So he can’t be implicated legally even if he was morally wrong. But believe me, Fudge won’t ever be elected for anything after this disaster and he has been run out of the Ministry completely. He has also been fined heavily for disregarding conduct. The Wizengamot decided that even if Fudge was unaware of Umbridge’s methods he aided her. That wasn’t enough for Azkaban but for someone who is currently jobless and has no prospects of being able to be hired in the wizarding world, his fine was quite damaging.”

“I’m glad to hear that,” Remus nodded. “And Nott?”

“Aside from confirming his crimes which are enough to put him away for life, he also named all the others in the graveyard that day, including Malfoy and Goyle. I have already put a warrant out and the Auror Office has their search as a top priority. Malfoy and Goyle Manors are once again under surveillance and Madam Malfoy was questioned under Veritasserum about her husband’s whereabouts. She doesn’t know.”

“I didn’t expect her to. They would be smarter than that, and Goyle is a widower right?” Remus pointed out.

Minister Bones nodded and continued, “As I was saying. I also plan to have other changes. I want a better relation with Muggleborns and I think the way to get that is a better relation with Muggles. I have therefore granted a better budget to the Muggle relations office and made changes in staff. The former head was a pureblood who thinks all muggles are brainless idiots. A friend of Fudge. I still have a pureblood in office but one who actually is very fond of Muggles.”

“No way. You mean-“ Remus began smiling fondly.

“As of yesterday, Arthur Weasley is the Head of Muggle Relations and as deputy we have a very interesting young Muggleborn that has a lot of interesting ideas about how to deal with Muggles.”

Remus beamed, “Couldn’t have happened to a more deserving person.”

“I also have another available position in where I want to make changes,” Bones started cautiously. “I was approached by Amos Diggory who asked to be transferred to England’s Magical Embassy in France. Apparently Cedric is having a hard time with being around people who are always expecting him to remember things he can’t. So they have arranged for him to attend Beauxbatons with Professor Dumbledore’s help and the  Diggorys want to be near by.”

Remus nodded. He knew all about that. He had helped Cedric through his hard decision. He had tried all semester long to adapt, but the stress was affecting his schoolwork and Remus suggested that maybe some distance could help him. Cedric had decided to finish this term and start the next one somewhere else. Since he was fluent in French, Beauxbatons seemed the logical choice. And he could understand the Diggory’s. After almost losing their son sending him abroad would be hard.

“That leaves me without a Head for the Control and Regulation of Magical Creatures,” Bones said meaningfully and Remus’ mouth fell open in shock.

“You can’t possibly mean…”

“I do  actually. I think you’d be the best man for the job.”

“Madam Bones, you were my mother’s best friend and you were-“

“There the night your parents rushed you to St. Mungo’s at her side and every other time she worried about you. I know what you are Remus and that is one of the reasons I want you. Not the main one, but one. As a magical creature yourself I know you will be fairer than some bigoted full human. But that is not only why I want you. I have accompanied your work,” she smiled coyly. “You have a very unique style of writing that you picked up from your mother and I would recognize anywhere. No matter what the name signing the article is. You are fair but not blind. You ask for better treatment for magical creatures but do not turn a blind eye towards really dark creature like Dementors. The problem with this office is that either we had bigoted morons like Umbridge who want every magical creature enslaved to us or we have idealists that think there should be no control whatsoever, and we can’t have that. From your articles you agree with me that laws should be changed. Some creatures deserve more rights and some need a tighter reign. That is why I want you for the job.”

“What if someone finds out?”

“I will answer for my choices.”

Remus looked at her seriously and said, “I’ll need some time to think. I have already made a commitment with Hogwarts until at least Christmas and I have to see if they can do without  a tutor.”

“I will give you the time you need. Amos is staying until Christmas anyway.”

“Thank you Madam Bones. I promise to think very responsibly about this.”

---


 

The End.
End Notes:
A/N- Umbridge is gone and you all can finally celebrate. I still have two big conflicts left (Lucius Malfoy and Severus’ secret) that will take most of sixth and seventh year to solve. The end of fifth year is mostly setting up for that. I think I’ll have a couple more chapters of fifth year and a little over 10 chapters with the last two years. They will go quicker then the other years because I don’t have much conflict left and I don’t like to drag things out.

Thanks for reading and reviewing.

Huge thanks to SWaddict1986 who was the first to have the pleasure of seeing Umbridge and Fudge sacked.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1913