Life Goes On by PadyandMoony
Summary: Sequel to “The name is Potter Black!” where Sirius adopted Harry as a toddler and raised him at Hogwarts. This is what happened after the events of the end of Harry’s fourth year. Must read “The name is Potter Black!” first.
Categories: Misc > Keepers of the Snitch Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Other, Remus, Sirius, Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: The name is Potter Black!
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 83426 Read: 112510 Published: 22 Aug 2009 Updated: 22 Aug 2009
Wedding bells by PadyandMoony

Severus leaned back in his chair, interlocking his hands and resting the back of his head on them. He sighed happily. This had been one hell of a year but it was finally over. The last exam had just been held. The last OWL and NEWT had been taken, and he wondered how Harry had done. The boy had been a wreck of nerves. But Sirius and Severus had only seen him outside the testing areas. Parents of students taking OWLs or NEWTs couldn’t be involved, so Sinistra took his overseeing duties. Pity, Severus had wanted to see Hagrid taking the exams.

He saw him exiting and it was a sight to see the half-giant comparing notes and answers with the other students. Next year he would continue his education to take his NEWTs. He wanted to have a Mastery in Magical Creatures. Personally, Severus thought no master knew more than Hagrid, but he understood the need to be able to say he was qualified for the job after Umbridge tore down on him for his ‘under-qualifications.’ Severus smirked; he would gladly take a trip to Azkaban to shove that piece of parchment on her face.

Slytherin had lost the Quidditch cup to Gryffindor, since their reserve Seeker wasn’t that good. But they had scored a good second place with clean games. Every student had commented on how Slytherin was playing fair and Severus smiled. After Malfoy left, Severus had regained the reign of his students and they even managed to recuperate from Malfoy’s loss of points getting the House Cup this year.

Severus sighed happily as the door to his office opened. He was so content he wasn’t even going to berate the kamikaze that entered his office without invitation. His relaxed stance melted when he saw Sirius’ grim face.

“What? No, I was happy!” he complained.

Sirius took a chair and dropped heavily on it.

“Tonks called. Goyle has been spotted.”

“They caught him?” Severus asked shocked.

“No, by the time the Aurors got there he and whoever was with him was gone. They found some food, old Daily Prophets and beddings in an abandoned warehouse.”

“So Malfoy was there too. Where?”

“London,” Sirius said.

“Bold.”

“Not far from Grimmauld Place,” Sirius added.

“You think they were waiting to get Harry?”

“He has nothing more to lose. He may be bent on revenge,” Sirius said worried.

“Grimmauld Place is still under a Fidelius Sirius. He can’t find it,” Severus stated.

“But he knows the general location. It’s house arrest again and Harry won’t be happy.”

“He will understand.” Severus said. “Don’t tell him today. Let them party. I know the Weasley twins have a farewell party planned. I know I’m celebrating their graduation.”

“Should he go to the Dursley’s by portkey?” Sirius asked.

“He’ll want to be on the train, it being the twins’ last ride and all. Let him go, and we will apparate from inside King’s Cross instead of outside. I’ll go with you since this year Remus is working. Give Tuney my love.”

“Sev!”

“What?” he asked innocently.

“No hexing the Muggles,” Sirius said sternly.

“Of course not,” Severus answered mildly. He gave Sirius a little unconvincing smile.

Xxx

“That was not funny Harry! Petunia is doing us a favor!” Sirius cried as Harry rolled on the bed laughing.

“Come on dad! And you call yourself a Marauder? Besides, she will never know!”

“People may tell her,” Sirius said through gritted teeth.

Harry looked at him and burst out laughing again. After getting to King’s Cross, Sirius and Severus had Apparated him to Privet Drive where Severus made sure to accompany them to their bedroom before he left. He had been overly polite and smiling. Petunia should have figured something was not right by that. When he left Petunia’s hair was purple, that is for everyone else who looked but her, Dudley and Vernon. Severus assured them it would only last a couple of days, enough for the gossipers to see.

Sirius sighed deeply. Severus could hold a grudge and he hadn’t forgiven Petunia for the nasty treatment from two years ago. Petunia had been better last year but this year she had been her usual charming self and when she saw Sirius and Severus there instead of Remus she threw a fit, which both of them had politely endured. Severus had explained that Remus had a new job and therefore wouldn’t be available to stay with Harry for two weeks. Truthfully Remus could have come and just Apparated to the Ministry everyday, after all, knowing he would be back was enough to keep the Dursleys in line. But they didn’t think the Dursleys would take to the idea of the neighbors asking where and how he went. She had huffed and stated that the conditions for their stay were the same as when Severus had been there. Apparently she didn’t trust Sirius:

“Last year you were too busy with the boy to cause trouble. This year I don’t see anything stopping you.”

Sirius hoped Petunia did not figure the whole purple hair thing. She would certainly blame him.

Xxx

About a week later Narcissa Malfoy strode the halls of Hogwarts. When she did not find who she was looking for she went towards the dungeon and knocked at a door.

“Come in.”

She entered and was greeted by a raised eyebrow.

“Narcissa, what brings you here?” Severus asked.

“I’ve been looking for my cousin. He was not at his office and I don’t know how to find him during the summer.”

“Did you try owling him?”

“I do not want to discuss this business by owl,” she said indignantly.

Severus regarded her and nodded. He summoned a chair and invited her to sit. She did so stiffly.

“Sirius is away with Harry but I have means of contacting him. Shall I tell him you wish to meet with him?”

“Yes please.”

“Will you accept his proposition?”

“He told you,” she hissed.

Severus shook his head, “No, he merely said he had an option for Draco and if you accepted, he asked Dumbledore to accept him back. How is he?”

“How do you think he is?” she asked him haughtily. “He had to take his OWLs at the Ministry like some dropout. The shame that brought him.”

“He brought that shame upon himself,” Severus pointed out. “I gave him many more chances than other teachers would. The mere fact that he hasn’t been  expelled yet proves that.”

“Well, tell Sirius I accept and for him to come see me,” she sniffed proudly. With that she got up and turned away stalking out, her nose high in the air. Severus shook his head and took the two-way mirror from his drawer.

“Sirius,” he called.

“Hello,” a happy voice answered.

“You’re not Sirius.”

“No, I’m much cuter.”

“Give me that,” Severus heard Sirius saying and Harry’s face disappeared. “No he’s not,” Sirius said and asked. “Was’ up?”

“Narcissa came looking for you. She says she accepts. What exactly is she accepting?”

“Did she tell you if she wants to see me?”

“Yes, she does. So, what are you doing?”

“I’ll tell you later,” and with that Sirius was gone and Severus huffed slapping his hand on the desk.

“Idiot!”

Xxx

Sirius entered Malfoy Manor in full Lord garb. He was once again wearing his formal robes and his velvet black cloak with the Black Family’s crest and carrying his cane. Sirius had left Harry at the Dursley’s with orders not to go out. He could have asked Narcissa to do this at the end of the week but he did not want to give her time to change her mind.

“At least you remember how to dress yourself,” Narcissa noted dryly.

Sirius rolled his eyes and answered, “I may not like the pureblood costumes but I do know them ‘Cissy. Shall we go to the Ministry and fill out the forms?” he asked opening his arm and motioning to the door with a small bow.

She nodded, but before they left she turned to Sirius, “I am doing this for Draco.”

“I know,” Sirius said softly.

They both Apparated to the Ministry where Narcissa filled out the necessary forms to renounce Lucius as Head of the Malfoy family due to illegal activity. This meant that when he turned seventeen Draco would be the Head, but until then he would have to answer to the Head of his mother’s family, Sirius. If Narcissa didn’t have a Head of her family she would have become temporary Head, as what happened with Mrs. Nott when she did the same to her husband.

As Head of the Black family Sirius had to be present to support Narcissa’s claim and reinstate her protection by the Black family. He was basically responsible for them now. Of course, with the Malfoys that was a mere formality since they would not need any financial support, but what Sirius was interested in was in the power to discipline Draco.

After filing everything, Narcissa and Sirius went back to Malfoy Manor where Narcissa summoned Draco.

Sirius began to pace while waiting in the drawing room. As Narcissa and Draco entered, Sirius stood tall and watched his new charge who also stood tall in front of him staring him squarely and quite haughtily in the eye.

“I expect your mother explained what has happened with you,” Sirius said and Draco nodded. Sirius was a little disconcerted at the lack of any angry outbursts.

“Professor Dumbledore accepted you back at Hogwarts under the condition that I am responsible for you. You shall answer to me. You are still under probation and any misconduct in your part will result in immediate expulsion Draco. It should have been so last term but as a favor to me Dumbledore granted you this chance. I will not tolerate any disrespect from you towards your teachers, your Head of House or your peers. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes sir.”

“I will use the same rules I have for my son.”

Draco snorted and Sirius was glad to see some reaction, “Despite what you may think I do discipline Harry. You may have noticed he was grounded for fighting after the match. Depending on your misconduct, your punishment may vary from loss of Hogsmeade privileges to losing your allowance or your broom. I will never strike you. I think you are too old for a mild spanking and I never hit a child. I am not doing this to punish you Draco; I am doing this because if you follow on the avenue you are going you will be very hurt once you enter the real world. The Malfoy name does not hold as much prestige as it once held thanks to your father, and if you are banking on it to counteract your attitude you will fall hard.”

Sirius looked at Draco carefully.  Apart from the snort Draco had held a mask of indifference throughout the whole speech and Sirius was worried about this compliance.

“Will you want to come back to Hogwarts or do you wish to be home schooled?” Sirius asked.

“You are giving me a choice?” Draco asked.

Sirius nodded, “I think you are old enough to choose.”

Draco stared at him firmly and answered, “Hogwarts.”

“Then I expect you to see me on the first of September,” Sirius said and nodded his goodbyes.

Xxx

“Are you out of your mind?”

“Respect your father,” Sirius said sternly. “I had my reasons to do so.” He finished as he sat back against the single chair in the bedroom back at the Dursley’s. He had gone back to Grimmauld Place to change since he knew the fit he would encounter had he come back in his Lord garb.

“So what? Is he like my brother now?” Harry asked mutinously from the bed.

“No,” Sirius said. “You don’t need to interact with him at all but he does need to answer to me as Head of the Family. At least until he turns seventeen.”

“You’re nuts. Life was a lot easier with him gone,” Harry said and Sirius sighed.

“Harry,” Sirius said slowly. “The only thing that kept me from being just like Draco was your father and Moony. I want to give him a chance to change before he realizes it’s too late like Regulus.”

Harry deflated; he understood this was Sirius’ way of doing things right by his brother that he couldn’t save. But Harry knew Malfoy was no Regulus or Sirius. He was just like his father. Lucius Malfoy was cruel and Draco had reveled in what was happening to Muggleborns during their second year. Sirius didn’t hear him gloating to Crabbe and Goyle, Harry had. Sirius would never do that, no matter how spoiled he was. It is one thing to think you’re better than others, another is delight on their suffering, torture and death.

“Fine, but I don’t trust him.”

Xxx

After the mandatory two weeks at the Dursley’s passed Harry and Sirius went back to Grimmauld Place, Sirius inwardly rejoicing the fact that Petunia never figured out why the neighbors had been whispering behind her back and giving her odd looks. He had admitted that seeing her miffed and trying even harder to be the perfect, normal role model to see if the gossip stopped had been fun. Charlie’s wedding was approaching and Sirius had gone out to get all of them new dress robes. Harry had protested at not being allowed to go personally but Sirius had none of it. He did promise that if nothing happened, when Harry’s Hogwarts letter arrived they could go to Diagon Alley, as long as he was escorted.

Being cooped up at Grimmauld Place and having no homework because he had just sat his OWLs, Harry had started finding other forms of amusement. In one of those stints of boredom that makes people think the stupidest things, Harry approached Remus and sat himself seriously in front of his Uncle at the kitchen table.

“Mr. Lupin,” he started formally. “Father has informed me about the workings of our wizarding system. Being the heir to the title of Head of the Black family I will someday be responsible for our fair maiden Nymphadora.” Remus nodded seriously and hid his twitching lips behind his hand that was propped up by his elbow on the table. “As such, I must ask your intentions towards her and of course let you know you will be under my ruling.”

“I see,” Remus said evenly. “I do foresee a little catch there though sir.”

“What?” Harry asked.

“Well, if I marry Nymphadora, she will become a Lupin, to which I am Head, and since I magically adopted you, you became my heir, meaning that as my wife, until you are of age, she will be responsible for you.”

Harry scowled and huffed. He slumped his face on his hand and shook his head, “When I think I have something over someone! This happens!”

“There is also the fact that even though the Tonks’ aren’t an old wizarding family, or have any title of nobility, Ted is still the Head.”

“Uncle Moony! No need to rub salt on the wound!”

Xxx

The day of Charlie’s wedding had arrived and the Burrow was unrecognizable. Harry felt like he was back at the World Cup with the amount of foreign languages being spoken. All of Charlie and Natasha’s friends from the Dragon Colony had come and so had all of Natasha’s family from Russia.

“’Arry!” Harry had heard as soon as he had arrived, and he and Sirius had been assaulted by a very excited Fleur Delacour who apparently was still grateful for them saving little Gabrielle and was at the wedding as Bill’s date.

As Ron approached their party to show them to their seats he eyed Severus warily, pushing Harry to the side he whispered in his ears.

“I didn’t know he owned anything that wasn’t black.”

Harry looked at his Uncle who was sitting next to Andromeda and Ted in his dark green robes and snickered.

“Dad bought everyone new robes. Including Uncle Sev. He had no choice because Grandpa hid all his old dress robes. He was not a happy man I tell you.”

Ron’s respect for Sirius and Dumbledore rose to new levels and he shot glance to where Dumbledore was speaking with Mr. Weasley. You had to be either very brave or very foolish to do that to Severus Snape.

Harry sat down next to his family and they were soon joined by Neville and Mrs. Longbottom. A little while later Hermione came hurriedly from inside and told Ron to get to the front where the rest of his family would be because the bride was ready. Harry smirked inwardly as he noticed that Ron kept shooting back glances at Hermione, who Harry had to admit was very pretty in her pale yellow dress robes.

For the first time Harry looked at the aisle and saw Charlie there looking very nervous. The music started and from inside the house Harry saw Tonks and Ginny coming out. He had the shock of his life when he saw them. Ginny was dressed in a light blue robe that was identical to Tonks’, but honestly Harry did not notice that. She had her hair held back in a ponytail by flowers and some strands were loose, forming curls. She had some very light make up on and Harry thought to himself when the hell Ginny had started wearing makeup. That wasn’t the only thing Harry had been wondering when it happened as his gaze went definitely downwards from Ginny’s face. He never saw the smirk in Tonks’ face when she passed by and noticed Harry’s open mouth.

Harry could not tell what happened after that, how the bride entered, what the minister said, what the bride and groom said; he had been in this very weird place where all he could see was Ginny and wonder where she had been all this time, this was definitely not the Ginny he had known for so many years.

Xxxx

“Oh, no, we broke up last year and decided just to be friends. Long distance relationships don’t work all that well and…” Hermione said as she eyed Ron who was talking to one of the twins in whispers. “Well, Viktor and I are still friends and we correspond. But I’m not going to Bulgaria this year. Mum and Dad are taking me to Italy and afterwards when I come back I’ll be ready to work, Mrs. Tonks. Don’t worry.”

“Oh, I never worry about you Hermione,” Andromeda laughed. She, Ted, Sirius, Harry and Hermione had been sitting at one of the tables talking for a while now. Or Andromeda, Ted and Hermione had been talking because neither Sirius nor Harry had been very talkative. Harry had been staring shamelessly as Ginny danced with one member of her family after another and Sirius had also been staring at someone, with a scowl and drinking firewhisky. Andromeda had been tempted to tell him not to worry because she doubted that Dumbledore dancing with Hestia was very threatening, but she had already heard from her daughter who heard from Remus that Sirius had been quite oblivious to the happenings of his own heart as of late.

“Is that Percy Weasley?” Ted asked pointing to Percy who was standing quite peacefully near his father with a huge sign hovering over his head saying, “I am a dork!”

“Yes,” Hermione snickered.

“Hasn’t he noticed?”

“Oh he has,” she said. “Because of his pay cut Percy wasn’t able to afford the flat he had in London any more and of course Mr. Weasley heard that he had been sleeping on the couch at a friend’s house and told Percy he could come home. Didn’t even ask for an apology. Percy accepted and apologized on his own. Said that after having to deal with so many cases of Muggle-baiting with charmed Muggle objects he understood why his father thought his job was important. Of course, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley said it was water under the bridge and forgave and forgot, but the twins, Ron and Ginny aren’t so forgiving. A day doesn’t go by without them pranking Percy. Today they went mild because of the wedding. But they are getting frustrated because instead of reacting to the pranks, Percy just bears them as just punishment for what he did. The twins have been complaining that the pranks lose their fun if he just bears them.”

“I passed by their store the other day and it’s always crowded,” Andromeda said.

“Oh yes, they are a huge success. They are even living in a flat above of their store because they have been working so much. Mrs. Weasley isn’t even complaining any more.”

Xxx

Remus twirled around with Tonks and she laughed, “I love weddings.”

Remus smiled at her and, shooting a glance at where Natasha and Charlie had been dancing completely absorbed in each other, he said:

“Why don’t we have one of our own then?”

Tonks looked at him skeptically and chuckled, “Remus, just because Sirius said-“

“I don’t care what Sirius said. I want you for the rest of my life,” he told her staring into her eyes. They stopped dancing and she asked shocked:

“Really?”

“Really.”

“Yes!” she cried happily hugging and kissing him.

He kissed her back encasing her head in his hands and when he pulled back he asked, “Are you sure you don’t need time to think? I mean, marrying me you marry Padfoot, Harry and Severus too.”

“Like I didn’t know that,” she rolled her eyes smiling. “There are worse families to marry into.”

Remus smile could split his face. She continued, “We could live at Grimmauld Place so this way we can have some privacy but still kind of live together since the others come by on the holidays, and when Harry graduates he will come live with us-“

“Unless he goes to Auror school.”

“Hum- yeah,” Tonks said vaguely, “unless- though that was a no-no pamphlet, so really what are the chances? Anyway, as I was saying, he can come live with us until he decides to get married with Ginny-“

“Ginny?” Remus barked a laugh. “Where did you come up with that insane idea?”

“Oh, the idea is not that insane,” Tonks said shooting a glance to where Harry was shamelessly ogling Ginny. “So when do we do it?”

“I’m thinking next summer. I always liked summer weddings-“

“Next summer! And wait for all that time?” she pouted.

Remus looked at her pout fondly, “Do you really want to deprive your mother of planning the perfect weeding for her only daughter?”

“Humph,” Tonks huffed pouting, “No.”

“See?”

Tons nodded reluctantly, “Yeah, well, this way Siri has time to adjust to change too,” she said looking at her cousin and frowning, “That isn’t his first glass.”

“Nope,” Remus said worried, “It’s not his third either. I lost count after the fifth glass.”

“Is he glaring at Dumbledore?”

“Yes.”

“Oh my.”

Xxx

Severus handed the lady a glass, “You looked thirsty,” he said politely.

She accepted the glass with a polite nod and as he sat down next to her she eyed him calculatingly. “I didn’t expect to see you at such frivolous occasion.”

“I attend parties,” Severus said defensively.

Emmeline Vance played with the straw of her drink and said, “I never said you didn’t. I merely stated you don’t strike me as the party type.”

“Well, I am,” he lied smoothly. “And I just came here to point out that your fellow Ravenclaw, whose fines you boasted about, is currently in the way of getting drunk.”

Emmeline eyed Hestia who by now was chatting happily with a crowd of people and had another drink in her hand and stared back at Severus.

“She doesn’t usually let herself go but when she does there is no stopping her,” Emmeline said evenly. She eyed Severus and said in a calculating tone, “I heard at the last PWA meeting that Italy and France are interested in the Permanent Wolfsbane.”

“Yes, Albus has told me. I will have to enhance the amount I brew.”

“You’ll need help.”

“Probably.”

“I’m not a bad brewer,” she said offhandedly.

“I know.”

“How?” she asked suspiciously and he smirked.

“When I assumed Slughorn’s post I checked how his  students’ scores were for several years. You were just a couple of years behind me which means you were among the students I checked. If I recall, you had Outstandings on both OWL and NEWT levels.”

“And you remember?” she asked impressed.

“You make an impression,” and so she did. Severus had been so impressed by her sneer at the Leaky Cauldron that he went back to those scores to make sure he knew them. He had also very subtlety asked Hestia about her since he knew they had been school friends. “Are you interested in assisting me?”

“Yes,” she said. “I took my masteries in Potions, as you most obviously know by now, and work with research at St. Mungo’s. To know how to brew this potion is a dream for a researcher.”

Severus pruned at the compliment.

“I would be privileged to have you help me.”

“Of course you would,” she smirked.

Xxx

Hours later, at a more secluded area of the Weasley’s back yard. A man and a woman had their faces inches apart.

“I did nothing of the sort!” she growled.

“You danced with every man in this party! That is not appotri- aprocriate behavior for a teacher!” he slurred.

“I did not!”

“Did too!”

“Did not!”

“Did too!”

“Did not!” she yelled coming closer to his face. “You know, your lips are very yummy looking,” she said drunkenly.

“Yours too,” he said.

Suddenly all talk ceased as they grabbed each other in a fervent kiss. Coming out of the kiss breathlessly she said, “You’re still a Casanova.”

“Okay,” and he kissed her again. “Just for the record, I think this is public.”

“Who cares?” she said as she grabbed him again. Nothing else mattered to the two and they never noticed when later a teenage boy passed by them and stumbled away in shock.

---

A/N- Thanks to SWaddict1986 for betaying. Thank you all for reading and reviewing.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1913