Life Goes On by PadyandMoony
Summary: Sequel to “The name is Potter Black!” where Sirius adopted Harry as a toddler and raised him at Hogwarts. This is what happened after the events of the end of Harry’s fourth year. Must read “The name is Potter Black!” first.
Categories: Misc > Keepers of the Snitch Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Other, Remus, Sirius, Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: The name is Potter Black!
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 83426 Read: 112516 Published: 22 Aug 2009 Updated: 22 Aug 2009
The past revealed by PadyandMoony

Dear Harry,

When I envisioned myself writing this letter I always thought I would be writing to you about how you got cake all over your face today and how I expected you to be able to eat your seventeenth birthday cake without smearing your face. But unfortunately times make it necessary for me to take a serious tone. I hope to be able to laugh about this with you while you read this and I moan about my paranoid self but I know there is a big chance that won’t happen. So instead of telling you what I dream for you I’ll tell you what I want you to know.

I want you to know that your mother and I love you more than life. That you are our most precious gift and that all I want for you is to live a healthy, happy and long life. But I know that before that happens you will have to overcome a horrible destiny.

I’m not one for divination myself but I know better in that that even if we don’t believe in a prophecy, Voldemort will believe enough to ensure that it is fulfilled.

Dumbledore told us about the prophecy that was made about either you or Neville a while ago when he asked me and Lily to retire from the Order and to go into hiding in order to keep you safe. Because of that safety I won’t write the prophecy down, and none of the other Marauders know about it, but you can either ask Dumbledore if he is still around or go to the Hall of Prophecies in the Ministry and hear it. Only those who the prophecy was made about can do that. It basically said either you or Neville will have the power to off the bastard.

Dumbledore has a source that says that Voldemort decided you are the one the prophecy refers to, and as I said, I know he can become obsessed enough to make sure the prophecy fulfills itself. So, if you still haven’t accomplished killing him and the bastard is still around son, I have faith in you and know you can finish him. You only need to have faith in yourself too.

Live your life; don’t let the war rule it. Take care of your uncles Padfoot, Moony and Wormtail and never forget we love you.

 

Love forever,

Your dad.

James Anthony Potter

 

Malfoy’s words came rushing back, “Do you really thinks he loves you? Here is a little tidbit you and your daddy don’t know. Your precious Uncle Severus Snape was the one that eagerly relayed the prophecy to the Dark Lord.”

 

His Uncle Sev, his beloved Uncle, the man who had loved his mother, the man he considered one of his fathers, he was the reason his parents were dead! He was the one that sent Voldemort after them. Voldemort had told Harry as much hadn’t he? When he confronted Severus and told Harry he was after him not his parents.

“Why is it you betrayed me? Was it for the Mudblood? The one whose life you begged me for? The one you handed to me?”

Was it true, did Severus beg for his mother’s life? What about his father and him? Did he not care if they died?

Harry couldn’t think properly. He was shaking with rage and confusion. He bolted out of his bed and stormed downstairs where his dad, Uncles and their significant others were and burst in the room and demanded answers, throwing the letter at Severus.

“Why did you do it? I thought you loved her! I thought you loved me?”

Severus shakily took the letter and read it to realize one of his worst fears was on that page staring at him. Harry knew!

“I don’t know,” he said shakily.

“You don’t know! That’s your answer! You killed them and you don’t know why!” Harry spat.

“Harry James Potter Black!” Sirius cried angrily. “Calm down and show some respect.”

“He killed them! He sent Voldemort after my parents!” he cried pointing at Severus. Remus, who had taken the letter from Severus, said:

“There isn’t mention of Severus in this letter, just a prophecy, which actually explains a lot but not of-“

“Malfoy told me he was the one to tell Voldemort about the prophecy!”

Severus who had uncharacteristically shrunk into himself nodded miserably as the others stared. Sirius couldn’t contain himself and punched Severus who did not react at all as he fell on the floor.

“How could you?” he hissed dangerously.

“I didn’t think. I was young and stupid and had been enthralled by the promise of power. I wanted to please my master! I didn’t think! You should know all about regretting a decision made without thinking Sirius!”

Sirius stepped back from his rage but he could not manage to say anything. You could see by his rapid breathing and his clenched fists that he was still furious.

“Remus?” Severus pleaded from the floor in a small voice but Remus shook his head. He also could not say anything.

“I need time,” he said in a soft shaky voice.

Severus looked for Harry but the teen was not in the room anymore. He didn’t even see him leave. Emmeline walked to him and he readied himself for the blow when she crouched down and extended her hands. “Let’s go Sev. Everyone needs time to digest this.” She helped him up and towards the Floo, “We’ll be at Spinner’s End,” she said to the rest.

Before he left Severus stared hopelessly at the others and said, “I lost everything because of my stupidity; am I about to lose everything again?”

“No, Sev. We just need time,” Remus said softly. And he meant it. He knew that, as he had forgiven Sirius for the Whomping Willow incident, he would forgive Severus. The difference between the two was that Severus hadn’t been as lucky as Sirius.

Xx

Harry though was in no mood to forgive Severus. He had never known his parents, he had to rely on other people’s stories and memories to know them and that was all Severus Snape’s fault. He had left the drawing room after Sirius punched Severus not wanting to hear excuses. He had left the house and Apparated legally for the first time to Hogsmeade. He then proceeded to stalk to the castle where he planned to hear about a certain prophecy and give his grandfather a piece of his mind for keeping something this huge from him.

An unbidden memory of the meeting with his parents came to mind, “Tell Sev I forgive him” well she shouldn’t! He is the reason she is dead!

Before he knew it, Harry was barking the password to the gargoyle and facing one very surprised Albus Dumbledore.

“Harry-“

“I want to know the full contents of the prophecy,” Harry said stonily.

“Harry,” Albus said sadly, “There is no need for that. Voldemort is gone, the prophecy has been fulfilled why open closed wounds?”

“I want to know why my parents were killed. Did you know he told Voldemort? Did you?” Harry asked narrowing his eyes.

Albus eyes dimmed and he sadly nodded. He had hoped this day would never come but unfortunately he knew exactly what Harry had asked.

“That is his biggest regret Harry and he has worked tirelessly to repair his mistake. He is the one who alerted me to make your parents go into hiding.”

“AFTER HE SENT VOLDEMORT AFTER THEM!” Harry yelled. “I want to hear the prophecy now!” he said slowly gritting his teeth. Albus sighed once more and took out  his Pensieve. Slowly and warily Albus put a memory inside and the form of Sybil Trewlaney emerged:

 

“The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches ... Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies ... And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not ... And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives ... The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies..."

“Severus was waiting for an interview for the position he holds today. He heard part of the prophecy before my brother Aberforth caught him, and then relayed it to Voldemort. He was young and misled in those days. When Voldemort decided he would kill you and your parents it was the first time Severus had first hand experience with the war. He had been in the backstage all along because Voldemort wanted his potions skills and he had never witnessed the destruction the war caused. It’s easy to pretend that what you are doing isn’t bad if you don’t see the results Harry and Severus lied to himself. Once he woke up he was horrified with himself, and not only because of your mother. I was with him after his initial contact begging me to protect her, when he finally started noticing what Voldemort and his Death Eaters were doing. Believe me, no one in this world blames him more than Severus himself. He has been atoning for his mistakes ever since and has never forgiven himself, and I doubt he ever will. But never forget Harry, the blame rests on Voldemort; he decided to kill based on a Seer’s word. He killed them, not you by being born at the end of July nor Severus for telling what he heard. He decided all by himself and took two lives.”

Harry shook his head; he was not ready to hear this. He turned around and walked away. He wanted to be alone and Albus understood as he did not call him back. He decided instead to stop by Spinner’s End and see how one of his boys was doing.

He Flooed in just in time to see the hem of a robe turning the corner of the stairs and he followed but as they were slightly ahead they reached the bedroom without noticing Albus. He came close and from his point he could see Emmeline guiding a dazed Severus. She sat him on the bed carefully and he looked at her lost.

“I thought you’d leave too.” Emmeline gave Severus one of those soft smiles that held no sneer or mocking that only those close to her got to see.

“I was in the Order the first time around remember Sev? I’ve always known you had been a willing Death Eater once and unlike Harry I lived the war. The concept of a Death Eater wasn’t something theoretical to me. I know what you were Sev. I knew when I chose to be with you not to care for what you once were but for what you are now. And now you are a good man. A man that hides behind a mask but who loves very fiercely, and I know you regret your past. I’ve seen it in your eyes when you let your guard down. In time Harry will remember that, but he is seventeen and hurt. He is feeling betrayed. Give him time Sev and he’ll forgive you, and your relationship will be stronger because there will be no horrible secrets waiting to be exposed.”

Severus nodded but Albus knew he didn’t truly believe her, “Sirius and Remus-”

“Will forgive you too. Probably sooner than Harry. Just give them time love,” Emmeline leaned forward and kissed Severus and Albus decided that Severus was in good hands. He thought probably the last two of his boys were in good hands too but better be safe then sorry. His next destination was Grimmauld Place where he found a frantic Sirius and Remus and two worried looking witches, who were to their credit a little calmer than the men and were getting an address book and discussing possibilities.

“The Grangers? We already tried the Weasleys?” Hestia said to Tonks.

“You could try again,” Albus said and all four of them jumped in fright. “If you are looking for Harry he left my office just a little while ago. Considering he had to go through Hogwarts to the Apparition point he must be getting to wherever he’s gone right about now.”

Sirius slumped on the couch and hid his face in his hands.

“We just noticed he was gone,” Remus said shakily. “We though he had gone back to his room and when Sirius and I tried to talk to him there and didn’t find him, we were terrified.”

Albus nodded, “I’m sure Harry will be fine. The threats to his safety are gone and I believe he just needs some time alone. I highly doubt he went to meet anyone but if you think he might have, then to try.”

“No,” Sirius shook his head. “You’re right. He just needs space. If he doesn’t come back by sundown we’ll go looking for him.”

“And how are you?” Albus asked. Remus looked lost and shrugged.

“I want to be able to hate him,” Sirius said shaking his head. “But I can’t, he’s my brother now. Just like Moony and James. But I don’t know how to just keep going as if nothing happened. As if his actions didn’t cost us all so much.”

“Remus?” Albus asked and Remus stared at him burrowing his hands in his pockets, “I know how to. I’ve done it before, but it’s not magic Albus. I need time to cool down. To be able to look at him and not be reminded of what he did.”

“You’ll all have a month,” Albus said. “I’ll advice Severus and Emmeline to use the last month of summer to get away, just the two of them. And when you meet again I hope you can all discuss this with clear heads and move on.”

And so it was. Emmeline and Severus decided to get away from Great Britain and spent the rest of the month in a Villa in Italy. It wasn’t that it was bad, they had time alone to get to know each other well, they visited places, but the shadow of the impeding meeting always followed them and Emmeline could see the smile that Severus was sporting one minute escape for a fraction of a second into a pained expression that he would shake off and pretend everything was fine. They visited the Italian version of the PWA’s and were quite satisfied with how they were working, and made reports to bring back home.

In the Black household the family also tried not to think much about the matter and attempt to let the pain decrease. Harry did come back that night but said nothing of where he’d been. He had stayed all day at the playground he had seen in Severus’ memories and that Severus had pointed out to him so many times. He hoped that being at the place where Lily and Severus’ friendship was born would bring him answers but he honestly did not know what to do.

His dad and Uncle Moony said nothing about his disappearing act and mostly said nothing about Severus. Harry figured they too were confused. The only mention made to the subject was on the day before classes started when his dad had already left for Hogwarts and Remus came looking for him to see if he was packed. He had sat on Harry’s bed while Harry finished and out of the blue he decided to tell Harry about a story of the Marauders they had never told him. A story about when Sirius was fifteen and out of stupid hot headedness told Severus to prod the knot at the base of the Whomping Willow the night of the full moon.

Harry had sat next to Remus during the account and asked.

“How did you forgive him?”

“I loved him,” Remus said. “He did something terrible Harry, but he was sorry for it. Making a mistake did not make Sirius a bad person.”

“Did you forgive him then?” Harry asked and Remus knew he was not talking about Sirius. “Do you want me to?”

“I want you to remember the man you love while you think about it. For a while when I was fifteen and angry at Sirius, I forgot all that I had done with my brother. Don’t forget all you lived with Sev.”

Harry nodded, “Voldemort wouldn’t have come after my parents if I wasn’t the prophesized child.”

“Voldemort came after your parents because he was sick. There was no way he could have been sure you were the boy the prophecy referred to. I don’t blame you Harry; your parents didn’t either, Sirius nor Severus do and you shouldn’t start. We’ve been through this before when you heard their last moments because of the Dementors, remember?  Your parents made a choice to protect you and Voldemort made a choice to kill all of you. You had no control over anything and therefore this is not your fault.”

Harry knew that. He had already come to terms with that years back but he still wanted to be able to rationalize the irrational so that maybe he could find a way to exonerate his uncle.

September first came and Harry wasn’t any closer to being ready to face Severus then he had been a month before.

Xxx

 

A/N- Thanks for reading and reviewing.

Thanks SWaddict1986 for betaying.

 

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1913