Life Goes On by PadyandMoony
Summary: Sequel to “The name is Potter Black!” where Sirius adopted Harry as a toddler and raised him at Hogwarts. This is what happened after the events of the end of Harry’s fourth year. Must read “The name is Potter Black!” first.
Categories: Misc > Keepers of the Snitch Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Other, Remus, Sirius, Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: The name is Potter Black!
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 83426 Read: 112501 Published: 22 Aug 2009 Updated: 22 Aug 2009
They’re what? by PadyandMoony

The teachers all rose after Albus dismissed them to their duties. The first staff meeting of the year had just been held and the students would be arriving in a few short hours. Severus waited nervously as one by one the teachers left the staff room. The last one to leave was Hestia who kissed Sirius and whispered something in his ear. Sirius turned to Severus and said:

“Moony was going to wait for us in the Marauders Quarters,” and he turned around. Severus found himself following Sirius like a small child waiting for his punishment. As they entered, they found that Remus had been sitting at one of the armchairs slumped forward with his elbows resting on his knees and his hands entwined watching a spot in the carpet. He raised his head and nodded in acknowledgment to Sirius and Severus. He got up and walked towards the latter.

“I once told you that no one is perfect, we all make mistakes, and sometimes, to be able to still be with the people we love, we have to look past those mistakes and go on with life. The same that was true for what Sirius did in our school years is valid here Sev. I can’t forgive what you did.”

“I don’t forgive myself,” Severus said tightly looking down.

“But we forgive you Sev,” Sirius said and Severus’ head shot up.

“What? No, you can’t! What I did was unforgivable!”

“Lucky for us that’s not your call. We chose to keep you in our lives Severus, and for that we forgive you,” Remus said putting a hand on his shoulders.

“You were right Sev. I did something stupid that almost got three people killed because I didn’t think of the consequences. You were stronger than I was. I had to rely on James to fix my mistake for me. You went for Albus for help and even begged Voldemort to spare Lily. And because he did give Lily a choice Harry is alive today. Albus explained it to us,” Sirius’ jaw was tight as he nodded. “Maybe you weren’t able to completely stop the tragedy but you did your best to and vowed to take care of Harry even before you liked him. No one’s perfect,” Sirius laughed bitterly, “Me less than anyone. I almost got sent to Azkaban for not thinking. I almost condemned Harry to a life with the Dursleys for not thinking, and I almost killed you for not thinking. I was just luckier than you were,” and he finished pulling Severus into a three way hug with Remus. After a while Severus asked quietly:

“Harry?”

Remus shook his head sadly, “He needs more time Sev. But he will come through.”

Severus nodded resigned.

Xxx

When the students had entered the Great Hall for the feast Harry avoided looking at the Head table. When he left the Hall he avoided looking sideways in case Severus was there and their eyes met, and it just so happened he was quite good at avoiding Severus all week.  Unfortunately sooner or later the time would come that they would have to interact and it came in the form of  Potions class. Harry was positively dreading the class and literary got sick to his stomach from his nerves. He wasn’t the only one nervous though.

During class, he realized he was also being ignored. Severus addressed the class, but did not come near Harry or make eye contact and said nothing when Harry sent his corked vial with Hermione. Harry was a little disappointed when he left. He had expected Severus to force them to talk but instead he just pretended Harry wasn’t there.

Severus on the other hand had to control his impulses not to run to Harry, shake him and beg for forgiveness. He had stayed up late talking to Sirius and Remus and they had agreed to let Harry come to him in his own time. He did his best not to look at Harry or he would crumble. He was in his most snarky mode and even he had to agree that he was a little too harsh when he pronounced Macmillan’s work a pile of dragon dung. He hoped Harry forgave him soon because he did not know how many more of these stressful hours he could endure. He didn’t know that something else would soon add to his stress that would be announced to him Saturday morning.

Xxxxxxx

Remus and Tonks entered the Marauder’s Quarters grinning widely. Their grins faded as they took in the scene in front of them. Sirius was fanning Severus who was prostrated on the couch with unseeing eyes.

“What  happened?” Tonks asked joining Sirius on the coffee table.

“Don’t know, I found him this way.”

“And you didn’t think to call anyone?” Remus asked sternly.

“I didn’t think he’d like to be seen like this. I ran a diagnostic spell and he isn’t hurt,” Sirius hissed and was shocked when a hand grabbed his robes and he was pulled towards Severus.

“I’m going to be a father,” Severus rasped.

After prying himself from Severus’ grip Sirius beamed, “That’s great news! I’m going to have a nephew and this time Uncle Paddy gets to spoil not raise.”

“That is really great news Severus,” Remus said grinning. “I didn’t know you and Emmeline were that serious.”

“We aren’t,” Severus choked lost, “Was an accident…accident.”

“Oh, well,” Sirius said a little flustered, “Hum, doesn’t matter. You’ll be a great father,” he patted Severus’ shoulder and looked at the other two for help. Sirius did a double take when he saw Tonks scowling with her arms crossed.

“What?” he asked.

“He totally stole our thunder!” she cried.

“Thunder?” Sirius asked bewildered and Remus cleared his throat and announced grinning widely:

“We are pregnant too!”

Sirius jumped and clapped happily.

“Yes, twice Uncle Paddy!”

“See, Severus. Your baby will have company,” Tonks offered and Severus said in a small voice:

“Baby…”

Suddenly Severus stood up and started pacing;

“I can’t be a father! Me! A father! That is utterly ridiculous! I am the greasy git from the dungeon, how on earth will I raise a child without traumatizing him or her?”

“Severus…” Remus tried.

“I have no qualification whatsoever! I don’t do small children! Everyone knows that!”

“Severus…” Remus tried again and glared at Sirius’ retreating back who had gone to his room, abandoning them.

“I terrorize them, I don’t do fatherly lov-“ he stopped as Sirius, who had just come back, held a picture of Severus reading to a four-year-old Harry in front of his face.

“I think you’ll do fine and we’re here to help.”

Xxx

“And then Tonks said she was pregnant too. Can you believe that? What are the odds?” Sirius laughed and Hestia fidgeted on her side of the bed.

“Yeah, odds…hum Siri?”

“Yes love.”

“Now, you’ll find this funny.”

“What?”

“Remus and Severus will be Uncles again.”

“I know. That was what I said.”

“From you.”

“No, from Remus and Severus.”

“You too.”

“What?”

“Yeah.”

“You sure?”

“Pretty sure.”

“I’m going to be a father again?”

“Yes.”

Sirius sat on his knees and stared at her. Then suddenly he envelope her in a hug and kissed her, “Thank you.”

“So, you’re okay with this? We didn’t plan.”

“I didn’t plan Harry and he is the best thing that ever happened to me,” he smiled and kissed her again.

 

Xxx

“What’s up dad?” Harry asked as he sat down. Sirius had called him earlier to the Marauder’s Quarters and Harry frowned as he saw the shrunken boxes pilled up on the desk.

“What’s that?”

“Oh,” Sirius said looking at the boxes, “That’s part of why I called you. You see, Hestia is moving in,” he announced happily.

“Oh,” Harry said uncomfortable; what else could he say?

“Yeah, well, I wanted to get married but she doesn’t want to- you know- failing institutions and all- well there’s other news to.”

“What?” Harry asked not knowing what else could happen.

“You son, will be a big brother! Three times! At once!” Sirius beamed but he did not expect the reaction he got.

“WHAT?” Harry shrieked and Sirius took that for delighted shock.

“Yes, Tonks, Hestia and Emmeline are all expecting and should be due about the same time around April. Isn’t this great?” he asked grinning widely.

“Great?” Harry asked disbelievingly. “Oh, wonderful. Truly spectacular. Now why don’t I leave you to your unpacking?”

Sirius had been quite airy since he got the news, but he did not miss the sarcastic tone of Harry’s voice or the banging door. He frowned but chalked it up to the bad mood Harry had been in since the fight with Sev.

Xxxxxxx

Harry liked being with Ginny; she didn’t force him to talk. Hermione had been pestering him about his attitude towards his Uncle ever since they arrived and why they were both ignoring each other. She wanted to know what happened but Harry didn’t want to talk about it with anyone, not his friends, not his girlfriend, not his dad, Uncle Moony or Grandpa, nor Tonks and definitely not Emmeline and Hestia who had also tried. Them! Yeah, they who had come to change everything. Deep down Harry knew he was being irrational but let’s face it, he bet his Uncle Severus didn’t even care anymore if Harry ever talked to him again. Not now that he would have a real son… “Tough”, Harry thought “I didn’t want to forgive Severus anyway,” he wanted to stay rightfully angry at Severus. Yes he did, Severus betrayed his best friend. She would have never betrayed him. A little nagging voice asked Harry why they hadn’t been talking at the time of her death and told Harry that even if they had been apart Severus still tried to protect her, but Harry squashed that voice. He bet Severus was at fault there too.

He moved to get more comfortable while he read and Ginny looked down and smiled. They had been next to the tree by the lake reading. Harry was lying down with his head on Ginny’s lap while she absent-mindedly ran her fingers through his hair. He smiled back. He liked being with Ginny. That first time he went to the Burrow after they started dating and all the Weasley men abducted him for a talk about how they would hurt him if he hurt her was kind of scary, but they had been great afterwards.

They were studying Potions; Ginny had said she needed to study because she had no idea how she managed to get into Severus’ prime class. So that’s what they had been studying and that was why Harry’s mind kept taking him back to the subject of his Uncle.  It was annoying, but at least Ginny didn’t ask him questions. She just sat there studying Potions and sometimes smiling knowingly at him. Sometimes he felt like he was missing something.

To herself Ginny was wondering if she would have made a good Slytherin.

 

Xxx

“But we have to start deciding now!” Severus cried for the hundredth time over hundreds of pamphlets that were strewn in his quarter’s living room table. “Have you any idea how long this will take?”

“Last time I checked we had a little thing called magic on our side,” Emmeline said flatly.

“But we need one here, and one at Spinner’s End and one over at Grimmauld Place, and that’s not counting that we need to multiply all that by three.”

“I think Remus and Tonks, and Hestia and Sirius can manage theirs.”

“As if! They’re morons! They will remember only after the poor children are born and the babies will have to sleep in drawers!”

Emmeline couldn’t help herself and burst out laughing.

Severus scowled, “This is no laughing matter Emmeline.”

“We still have almost seven months before the babies are born and last time I checked Remus and Sirius actually have experience in building a nursery.”

At the silent mention of Harry, Severus stiffened and started shuffling pamphlets. Emmeline sighed and went to him. She sat on his lap and kissed his forehead.

“He will come around.”

“He’s been back for over a month and he does a mighty job of ignoring me.”

“If it makes you feel any better Hestia told me Harry hasn’t been by their quarters either.”

Severus shrugged, “You talked to him.”

“I did, last week.”

“And?”

“He said he didn’t want to talk.”

Severus nodded and rested his chin on her shoulder. She picked up a pamphlet and tried to take his mind out of these depressing thoughts.

“What about this one?”

“My daughter will not be sleeping in a miniature race car!”

“Who says you’ll have a daughter?”

“I do!”

Xxx

“Harry!” Sirius called in the halls and ran towards Harry. “Hey son. Haven’t seen you outside of classes.”

“Yeah, you know. NEWTs aren’t called Nastily Exhausting for nothing,” Harry lied.

“Of course,” Sirius smiled throwing an arm around Harry’s shoulder. “I remember my NEWT year. But you should come to the Quarters; we were looking over cribs and trying to plan the nurseries for the babies. We voted and decided to have one for all of them in each house. You should come and see what our options are.”

“Yeah, well. I’ll try. Gotta go dad. See you!” Harry said rushing away and Sirius was starting to get annoyed with Harry’s attitude. He had no idea how annoyed with Harry’s attitude he would get.

Xxxx

 

A/N- Thanks for reading and reviewing.

Thanks SWaddict1986 for betaying.

 

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1913