A Better Childhood by grugster
Summary: The Ministry forces Severus to decide between getting de-aged or go to Azkaban. So he lives a new and better childhood with Albus and Minerva as his parents. Mentioned child abuse but otherwise a fluffy story!
Categories: Reverse Roles > Big Brother Harry, Big Brother Snape, Misc > All written in Snape's POV Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Bill, Charlie, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Original Character, Other, Percy, Pomfrey, Ron, Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Creature!fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: Neglect, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: A Better Childhood
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 53364 Read: 87897 Published: 02 Sep 2009 Updated: 28 Sep 2009
Chapter 2 - Adjusting (7-12) by grugster
Author's Notes:
Dear readers,
Remember that I put the first chapters together because they are still without Harry. So I have to upload one mor chapter without Harry and then he finally will appear.
I also would like to make clear that Severus won't be deaged. He will have to grow up the normal way.
Sunny
 

Chapter 7 - Stork

"Severus, please come out!" Poppy said, kneeling down in front of Severus' bed. Sobs could be heard from under the bed, so they hadn't needed to look for Severus very long.

Minerva was kneeling beside Poppy, and both women were cricking their necks to see under the bed.

Severus was still hugging his stork plushy tightly. He could see the faces of the two witches at the edge of the bed. He was still very scared and didn't think about coming out. He knew that running away from an adult was the stupidest thing a child could do because it made the adult even more mad. And that would mean a harsher punishment than he would have got if he had just remained where they wanted him. But sometimes my feet just do what they want, and they wanted to run away, Severus thought. But they won't believe me when I tell them.

"Severus, come out, please!" Minerva tried to convince Severus. The only reaction she got from the frightened child was that he vehemently shook his head and clutched his stork tighter to his chest.

"What's wrong, Severus? Why don't you want to come out?" Poppy tried again.

"No bath! Sev clean!" Severus sobbed.

"What's wrong with taking a bath? It's really nice. You even can take some toys with you in the bathtub," Poppy explained.

"Bath not nice," Severus stated soulfully.

Poppy tried hard to see Severus, but it was dark under the bed, and she could only make out his silhouette. She could see that Severus was hugging something but couldn't see his face. Only the sobs she could hear showed her that Severus still was very frightened and in despair. That looks very much like the stuffed animal Alastor insisted on buying for Severus.

"Oh, I see you have already made friends with your stuffed animal, Severus."

"Stork is my friend," Severus said and hugged the plushy affectionately. It felt good to have a friend.

Poppy tried another tactic. "Alastor said you will need a good friend, Sev, so he bought him for you. He will be very glad to hear that you like Stork and that he already is your friend. Maybe you could send Stork out here so that he can tell me why you don't want to bathe, Severus."

"Stork also don't want to bathe," Severus said.

"Why doesn't Stork want to bathe?" Poppy was glad that Severus at least was still speaking with them.

"He hates cold water and it burns his eyes. And later it burns more. Stork don't want to burn."

Poppy sighed. "Severus, I promise you that it won't burn, and the water will be nice and warm. You can take some toys with you, and Stork can watch over you while you're bathing."

Severus had calmed down and was listening very carefully to what Aunt Poppy said. Maybe they really make nice baths here, and there will be toys as well. They haven't lied to me before now. He fidgeted a little and realized that he felt dizzy and that his head hurt. With one arm he still hugged Stork, and with the other he felt for the spot where he had hit his head while crouching under the bed. When he touched it, he winced and moaned, "Ouchy." He started to sob again, and when he felt his hand get wet, he started to cry even louder.

Minerva started to panic. "Severus, what's wrong?" When Severus didn't react, she addressed Poppy. "Merlin, Poppy, get him out of there."

"Calm down, Minerva," Poppy said gently and laid a calming hand on Minerva's arm. She was concerned, too.

"Severus, what's wrong?" Poppy asked. "Did you hurt yourself? Please let me have a look at it. I made all the other pain go away earlier, do you remember? Let me do it again."

Severus stopped crying but still cowered under the bed. Yes, she made it all better, he thought. I want to feel better now, too. When Poppy offered him her hand to help him out from under the bed, he took it.

Slowly and very carefully, Poppy pulled Severus out from under the bed. In one fluid motion she had him sitting on the bed and her wand in hand.

"Oh, Merlin!" Minerva took in a harsh breath and looked shocked at the blood on Severus' head.

"Don't worry, Minerva. Head wounds always bleed a lot. It looks worse than it is," Poppy said to soothe not only Minerva's nerves but also the child, who had started to look more frightened at Minerva's shocked expression. "Look at me, Severus. I will heal that in an instant. You don't have to be scared." One wave of her wand, and the wound was cleaned, sealed and already starting to fade. Another wave and all the blood vanished.

"Minerva, could you please call Alastor?" Poppy asked.

"Of course." But before she could stand up and leave the room, Severus started to sob again and threw his tiny arms around the neck of a flabbergasted Poppy.

"No, please, I be good now. Please don't tell him to beat me," Severus pleaded, maintaining a death grip around Poppy's neck.

"Severus, you are choking me." She loosened Severus' arms so that she could breathe more freely. "Of course I won't tell Alastor to beat you. Nobody will beat you. I need something out of the hospital wing, and he knows exactly where these things are."

Seeing that Severus had calmed down and was seated back on the bed by Poppy, Minerva made her way out to find Alastor.

Poppy now was cleaning and healing the wound on Severus' elbow as well.

"Uncle Al mad with me? Taking Stork away?" Severus asked with fearful, wide-open eyes.

"Who is Stork?" Alastor said, entering the room with Minerva and Albus just behind him. "Oh, I see... You like him?"

Severus nodded vehemently to show Uncle Al how much he liked Stork, but that made him feel dizzy again, and he moaned.

"Easy, Severus! Try not to move much until I can give you the potion against concussion," Poppy said, steadying the lad by holding his shoulder. "Please bring me a concussion potion and the blue suitcase from the bathroom, Alastor. You know where it all is," Poppy ordered her husband.

"May I use your fireplace, Albus?"

"Of course, Alastor," Albus said and nodded. While Alastor left the room, he walked over to Severus.

"Severus, you don't need to run away from us. You already know that things here are different from the way they were at your old home. When you are scared of something, you just have to tell us. We would never hurt you on purpose."

"Will Father come now?" Severus asked, worried that they wouldn't want him any longer.

Albus sighed and placed Severus on his lap. "Severus, your father will never come to you again. He is dead." Severus' eyes went wide and his mouth dropped open.

"Albus, I don't think it's the right time -" Minerva said, but was interrupted by her husband.

"It will never be the right time, Min. Now is as good as any other time." He turned his attention back to Severus. "We didn't tell you everything in the hospital wing, Severus, and I can't tell you the whole story now because you wouldn't understand it. What I want you to know is that you don't have to be scared that your father will come back and get you. He is dead, so is your mother, Severus. I'm sorry; I know you loved her."

Severus' bottom lip started to tremble and tears were running over his face. I'm alone. Mommy is dead.

"We are here for you, Severus. Nobody will hurt you again," Albus said when he saw the sad and frightened expression on Severus' face. "Yesterday you were an adult, Severus. You were a teacher here, but you had to take a potion to make you a child again, and that's why you are here now and not in the place you called home."

Severus didn't understand a word. An adult? They really must be confusing me with someone else. He decided that he wouldn't tell them that he was never an adult because he wanted to live here and feared they would send him away when they found out he was the wrong one. Maybe they are right about Mom. She always said that she won't be there very long and that I have to live on my own then. She told me to try to stay out of father's way and, later, go to school and be very studious. I'm in a school now. So she will be glad, Severus thought, a little happier than he was before. "Mommy in heaven?" he asked Albus.

"Yes, Severus, and I'm sure she is looking down on you and hopes that you will be happy," Albus said gently while stroking Severus' hair.

Meanwhile, Alastor had come back with the things Poppy had asked him to get.

"Thank you, Alastor," Poppy said and took the vial. "Please give the suitcase to Minerva."

After letting Severus drink the potion, she cast another diagnostic spell on him. "Better?"

Severus nodded and realized that this time, he didn't feel dizzy.

"Very well," Poppy stated and lifted Severus in her arms.

"Minerva, please accompany me and Severus into the bathroom, and you two..." - she looked at Alastor and Albus - "... should check where Severus hit his head under the bed. There must be a sharp edge or something."

With that she strode out of the room with Severus in her arms.

 

Chapter 8 - The Bath

"Minerva, would you please fill the tub with warm water. Only pure water, no additives," Poppy said while lifting Severus onto the closed toilet seat. She removed Severus' house shoes and pulled his shirt and undershirt over his head.

Severus let Poppy undress him and looked at Minerva, who turned the faucets on. The tub slowly filled with water. It was a little awkward to let Poppy undress him because he didn't want to let go of Stork. But Poppy was very skilled and managed to get Severus half naked even with his plush animal still in his hand.

Poppy lifted him from the toilet and opened it.

Severus backed away immediately, but Poppy stopped him by placing her left arm around his back. With her right hand she pulled her wand and produced a Patronus with it.

Severus was amazed when he saw the silver otter dance around him.

"That's Naggy, Severus," Poppy explained. "He will check the toilet for any monsters for you." With that, she let the Patronus disappear in the toilet.

All his fear was gone at once, and Severus leaned over the toilet to see where Naggy had gone. When Naggy broke through the water surface, he jerked back in surprise. When he realized that it just was Naggy, who again danced around him now, he started to giggle. The silver creature made funny sounds as if he was talking to Poppy.

"He said that there wasn't any monster in the toilet, and that you don't have to be scared," Poppy explained to Severus while she vanished her Patronus.

Naggy was deep down there and the monster couldn't hide. So there really is no monster. Here it is so much nicer than at home, Severus thought relieved and smiled at Poppy. "Naggy nice."

"Yes, he is, and now you can use the toilet without fearing a monster, right?" Poppy said while lowering Severus pantss and briefs. Quickly she lifted him onto the toilet again and removed his pants and underwear completely.

Severus smiled at Minerva. "No monster, Min...wa."

"Yes, Sev, I know," she said and smiled back. She had sat down on the edge of the tub and felt the water to check the temperature.

Poppy tried to get the attention of the distracted child by placing her hands on Severus' legs. "Don't forget to pee, Severus."

Severus concentrated on the requested task and was successful after a few seconds.

"Done?" Poppy asked when Severus smiled proudly at her.

Severus nodded and held his arms out for Poppy to lift him off the toilet.

Now, Severus stood with his back to the bathtub, Stork still hugged to his chest.

"What toys do you want to take with you in the bathtub, Severus?" Minerva asked while pulling a box with some toys near him.

"Stork needs a bath, too," Severus said and pushed the plush animal almost in Poppy's face.

"No, Severus. Stork can't come with you in the tub, but he will sit here on the toilet and watch you," Poppy said and took Stork out of his hand.

Severus looked longingly at the animal, but was distracted by Minerva, who now was pushing the toy box in front of his feet. "Look, Severus, this is an animal almost like Naggy, and he would love to go swim with you. His name is Beaver. And here is a ship. Do you want these two to bathe with you?"

"Yes," Severus answered, overwhelmed by the number of toys in the small box. He was glad that Minerva had chosen two because he couldn't have decided.

Minerva threw the two toys in the tub, and the beaver immediately became animated. He paddled through the water and dove. Occasionally he splashed water with his flat tail. The ship meanwhile was sailing through the water and tooted from time to time.

"You can play with them soon, Severus, but first I have to check something," Poppy said while turning the child to face her. She stroked her fingertips over his face and examined the skin behind Severus' ears and on his neck. His shoulder-length, black hair wasn't as greasy as it was while he had been an adult.

"Arms up, Severus!" she commanded, and Severus obeyed while trying to look over his shoulder at beaver. Poppy smiled at his behaviour. She closely examined his front and under his arms. "Okay Severus, now you can join beaver in the tub." She lifted Severus over the tub, but when she wanted to lower him into the water, he curled up and pulled his feet to his chest.

Old memories kicked in; he wasn't so sure about having fun with Beaver any longer. He was sure she would throw him into the water, and he tried to avoid it as long as possible. Therefore he curled up and closed his eyes. He was surprised when he felt her lifting him away from the bath tub again. Soon he was standing on his feet in front of the tub.

"Severus, I thought you wanted to play with Beaver?" Poppy asked him. She didn't wait for an answer; she just leaned over the edge of the tub and splashed the water a little with her hand. The beaver immediately swam over to her hand, climbed on it and jumped back into the water.

Severus started to giggle again and tried to reach for the water. But he was too short and couldn't reach the water surface.

Minerva carefully lifted Severus over the water surface, so that he could splash his hand in the water.

Severus was a little scared when Minerva held him over the water, but when he realized that she was just letting him hover over the surface, he tried to touch the water. It was warm and the little beaver was coming over to his hand. Severus pulled his hand away when the beaver tried to climb on it. The beaver fell back into the water, shook himself and swam on his back while looking curiously at Severus.

"He just wants to play, Sev," Minerva said while slowly lowering Severus into the water.

It's warm and the beaver is funny, Severus thought happily.

The beaver dove, came up directly in front of Severus and spat a water fountain out of his little muzzle. That made Severus giggle and splash water at the little creature. The ship floated near the beaver and tooted. Severus was happy. A bath here is really fun, he thought, thrilled.

"Try this one here," Poppy ordered Minerva, handing her a bottle of liquid soap. Then she rummaged again in the blue suitcase. "It's without perfume and other additives. He has very sensitive and dry skin. You will need to moisturise him after a bath. I will leave you special shampoo, soap and moisturiser for him."

Minerva started to wash Severus with the soap and a sponge that looked like a duck. The child hardly realized what she did because he was engrossed in his play with the beaver and the ship.

"Stork, look that's Beef...wa." Severus lifted the little beaver out of the water to show him to his new friend. Suddenly the beaver went rigid and didn't move. Severus was shocked and held the beaver close in front of his face. "No, Beef...wa. No dead, please."

Before the little tyke could start crying, Minerva said calmingly, "It isn't dead, Severus. It's just a toy. You need to put him in the water, and he will swim again. He only moves when he is in the water or a few inches above it." She gently pushed Severus' arm down, so that the beaver was in contact with the water again.

Severus relaxed when he saw the beaver swim again. He had feared that he was responsible for the death of the little animal.

"Severus, we have to wash your hair now," Minerva said while already stroking his hair back.

"No burning?" Severus asked, scared.

"Severus, look, you just have to press this cloth over your eyes. It is waterproof and won't let any water through it. When you press it tight to your face, nothing will run into your eyes and make them burn," Poppy explained while offering him the cloth.

Severus looked uncertainly at the cloth, but then decided to give it a try. "'Kay."

"So, just press it onto your face and lean backwards a bit," Minerva ordered.

It worked. His eyes didn't burn while Minerva washed his hair and rinsed it clean.

"So, one last round with the ship, then you can come out before your skin starts to wrinkle. Stork is already waiting for you," Minerva said and arranged the liquid soap bottle and the shampoo on a small shelf over the tub.

Severus looked over to his friend and pushed the ship so that it floated for another round in the water. The beaver swam happily around the ship and dove under it from time to time.

Minutes later, Severus was covered in a warm towel by Poppy. "You must be careful when you rub him dry, Minerva. It's better if you just pat him dry," Poppy explained while showing Minerva how to do it. "Okay? You can take over," she said when Minerva came near them after emptying the tub.

Severus was happy that Poppy and Minerva didn't rub him like Minerva had done in the afternoon. On his hands it wasn't that bad, but on his body it would feel worse.

"Now moisturise him very carefully. Only the body, for the face I have another cream for him," Poppy instructed and handed Minerva the cream.

First Severus didn't like the cream. It felt sticky on his skin, but soon the cream was sinking into his skin, and it only felt very soft. It also felt very good to have Minerva dry him and moisturise him. She is a very nice woman. "Stork also cream?" he asked.

"No, Stork doesn't need cream. He doesn't have sensitive skin," Poppy said to Severus while handing Minerva another tin of cream. "This is for his face."

When Minerva rubbed the cream into his face, Severus tried to pull his head back. It didn't feel good to have it on his face.

"Severus, we know that you don't like the cream on your face, but it has to be applied. Your skin is very dry and you don't want it to start burning again, do you?"

Severus shook his head and held still so that Minerva could rub cream on the rest of his face.

"Look, it's almost completely sunken in," Minerva said and kissed his forehead.

Minutes later Severus was wearing his pajamas and was being carried into his bedroom.

 

Chapter 9 - The First Night

Poppy and Alastor had said their good-byes, and now only Albus and Minerva were sitting in front of Severus' bed.

Severus was very tired. The day had been so exciting that he just wanted to sleep. The bed was warm, and he dozed while trying to concentrate on the story about a little lion that Minerva was reading aloud. Minerva's soft voice and Albus' slight snoring (he had fallen asleep in the armchair he had transfigured from one of the chairs) made it hard for Severus to listen to the story. His eyes fell shut, and after a few minutes he was fast asleep.

"Sleep well, Sev," Minerva said, leant over the sleeping child and placed a soft kiss on his forehead.

After arranging the bed covers around Severus, she turned to Albus. She chuckled as she placed her hand on his cheek. "Albus, you have to wake up. Sleeping in this position won't do you any good."

"What?" Albus said, still sleep-fogged. His gaze fell on the sleeping boy. "Oh, he is already sleeping. I didn't hear much of the story."

"Severus didn't hear much of it, either. It was a busy day for all of us," Minerva said, leaving the room with Albus in tow.

______________________________

When Severus awoke, everything was dark, and he couldn't see much. He was scared because the room was big and obviously not his small room. He accidentally touched Stork and hugged him tightly. That made him remember the events of the last day. He relaxed a little because now he knew that this was his new room, but he still was a little scared. I don't like the dark, he thought, frightened.

He also remembered now why he had woken up. I have to pee. Frantically, he looked around the room. No bucket, he realized in shock. At home he was not allowed to leave his room without permission and especially at night. Therefore he had had a bucket that he could pee in at night, which he had to empty and clean in the morning when Mother let him out of his room.

Severus stood up and immediately clenched his legs together. I really need to pee, he thought, almost starting to cry. Again he scanned the room for a bucket, but there wasn't one. With Stork under his arm he went to the door, opened it and slowly peeked out. Everything was quiet. What shall I do? Severus thought desperately. With his free hand, he squeezed his wee-wee but it didn't help. He was sobbing, and tears were running down his cheeks. Carefully he walked over to the toilet door. On his way, he fearfully looked around. Please no monsters. He still had to clench his legs together. That made it hard to walk. He was almost at the door when he felt the first drops escape him. Whimpering, he stopped in shock.

"What are you doing, Severus?" Albus asked sleepy. He had heard the sobs and was now standing, still with the opened door in his hand, in the hall.

Severus whirled around, shocked, and lost all control of his body. His pyjama pants were getting wet rapidly, and there was already forming a small puddle at his feet. Severus looked anxiously at Albus and then down at the puddle and his wet clothes. The sobs became cries, and Severus darted in the direction of the bathroom door.

"No, Severus!" Albus shouted and ran after the panicking child. "You will slip."

But it was too late. Severus had reached the door and vanished in the bathroom. A loud thud made Albus aware that his fear was justified. The loud scream that followed made the blood freeze in his veins.

Severus lay screaming on the tiles, clutching his head with his tiny arms. Albus picked him up and placed him on his lap after he had sat down on the closed toilet seat. "Shh, Severus!"

"I'll call Poppy," Minerva, who had been woken up by the noises, said hectically and left the room.

Severus was crying in Albus' arms, and Albus tried to push a bunch of toilet paper on the wound on Severus' head. Healing magic never was a passion of Albus', and he didn't want to do something wrong. "Aunt Poppy will be here in a minute, Sev, Calm down." Albus could feel the wetness in his lap, but didn't care. He just wanted to calm Severus. When Poppy arrived, he was not only drenched in his lap, but also on his chest, but that was because of Severus' tears.

On her way to the still crying boy on Albus' lap, Poppy spelled the wetness on the tiles away. She waved her wand and muttered a diagnostic spell the moment she arrived at Severus' side.

Albus lifted his hand from the wound, and another wave of Poppy's wand stopped the bleeding. Poppy sealed the wound and healed it. "All done, Severus," she said while stroking his cheek with the back of her hand.

Severus was still clutching Albus. His sobs and cries were heart breaking.

"The concussion potion is still in his system, so I don't have to give him another one. I will just give him a pain killer spiked with a calming draught. That should make him sleep peacefully until the morning," she said to Albus and Minerva, who had sat down on the edge of the tub. She waved her wand and dried Severus' and Albus' clothes. After that she addressed Severus again, "Come on, Severus, we have to clean you, and you have to calm down so that I can give you a pain killer." She took Severus off Albus' lap and spoke softly to him, "Everything is okay Severus. You just have to calm down, so that I can give you the pain killer for your headache."

Severus was still hugging Poppy's neck very tightly. "Ouchy," he said, still sobbing.

"I know, Sev, but when you drink the potion you will feel better in an instant." She calmingly stroked his head and addressed Minerva, "Could you please give me the blue vial and a spoon from my bag, Minerva?"

Severus had calmed down a little and was now looking curiously at Minerva, who was rummaging in Poppy's emergency bag.

"Please fill a spoon with the potion. One should be enough," Poppy ordered Minerva.

When she saw that Severus was curiously looking at Minerva, she said, "You will like it, Severus. It tastes good."

Severus swallowed the potion without complaining and felt relieved when the pain was gone. He smiled happily at Poppy, but then he looked down at his pyjama pants and remembered what had happened. He looked over to Albus and said, "Sowwy."

Before Albus could say something, Poppy said, "You don't have to be sorry. That happens sometimes. Look you are already dry again."

They are not mad? Severus couldn't believe his luck. He had broken many rules, but they were still not mad with him. He was out of his room, he ran in the hall, he spoiled his clothes and, worst of all, he had cried, but they weren't mad. Quite the contrary, they were very nice and hugged him. It's so nice to be here!

"We still have to clean you. With your sensitive skin it wouldn't be good to just clean you magically," Poppy said and planted Severus in the tub. She had to smile at the puppy-dog-look Severus was giving her with his tearful eyes.

He had lifted his arms again and asked, "Up?"

"In a minute, Severus." She waved her wand, and the boy was naked. "Remember our water is always warm for you, dear," she said so that Severus didn't panic about the water.

Severus already wanted to start crying again when Poppy assured him that the water would be warm. They never lied to me, so maybe they won't start to now, he thought hopefully. He held still, and even enjoyed it, when Poppy let the warm water run over him. She cleaned him with the funny sponge again and then carefully dried him. When she applied the moisturizer again, he hadn't even a chance to fidget because Poppy was so experienced with it that he couldn't avoid her hands. She even put moisturizer in between his bottom cheeks. Minwa hadn't done this. It feels icky. He hoped Poppy wouldn't be here very often to put the sticky stuff on him.

"Such a big boy," Poppy said while handing him over to Minerva, who dressed Severus in a fresh pair of pyjamas. "The calming draught will kick in soon. You'd better get him into bed," she said to Minerva while packing her emergency bag.

Albus stood up and held the door open for Minerva, who carried Severus, and Poppy, who made her way to the fireplace.

Poppy waved her good-bye to the small family and left through the green flames of the fireplace.

Severus had fallen asleep on Minerva's arms, so they didn't have any difficulties tucking him in.

"If every day is like this, I will die of a heart attack before he is a teenager," Minerva said while stroking Severus hair.

Albus laid a comforting hand on her shoulder. "You know if nothing unfortunate happens we will even be able to see our grandchildren become teenagers. That's the benefit of being magical. I don't think that every day will be like this one. And even if it is, we will get used to it." He squeezed her shoulder and added, "But I'm sure the next days will be stressful, and so we should try to get as much sleep as possible."

"You are right," Minerva said while standing up. She kissed her husband, and both walked back to their own bedroom to get a few more hours of much-needed sleep.

 

Chapter 10 - The Man in the Photo

Severus and his new family were sitting at the breakfast table when the fire turned green to announce that someone was about to pop through the fireplace. One second later Charlie's head appeared between the flames. "Good morning, Headmaster, can I come in?"

"Of course," Albus said while waving his wand to lower the magical barrier that stopped unwanted visitors from barging in whenever they pleased.

Shortly after the wards were lowered, Charlie emerged from the fireplace, dusted off the ash, which was covering him, and said, "Damn, I hate to travel like this. Brooms are so much more comfortable." When he looked up, he stopped abruptly. "Oh, I didn't want to interrupt your breakfast. I'm sorry, I will come back later." He turned and headed for the fireplace, but Albus stopped him.

"No, no, Charlie; that isn't necessary. We are almost finished. You couldn't know that we were still at breakfast. We had a very exciting night and so slept in a little. Come over and have a cup of tea or coffee," Albus said while leading Charlie to the table.

"So, coffee or tea, Charlie?" Minerva asked while conjuring a cup.

"Coffee, please," Charlie said while he eyed Severus out of the corner of his eye. He had already heard that Professor Snape had been de-aged. I would have never thought that he was such a cute child. When Mom sees him, she will cuddle him to death.

Severus had been quiet while Charlie had come through the fireplace, and Albus had led him over to the table. Father didn't like it when I looked at the people who came to visit him. Therefore Severus fixed his eyes on his bowl of cereal, but couldn't resist looking up quickly from time to time out of curiosity. The man was young, and he had red, long hair and a lot of funny spots on his face and arms. Severus had never seen a man like this. His cereal was forgotten, and also his resolution of not staring at the adults' guest. Quite the contrary, he was ogling the funny man open mouthed, now.

Minerva closed Severus' lower jaw with a tap of her hand. "Severus, it's not nice to stare at our guest. This is Mr. Weasley. He will teach Potions from next year onwards." She looked over to Charlie and said, "And this young man here is Severus."

"Nice to meet you, Severus, but you can call me Charlie. Mr. Weasley is my father," Charlie said kindly and winked at him. "So how do you like it here?"

"Fine! I have lots of toys. Do you want to see?" Severus asked, excited to have perhaps found a new playmate. The others were fun to play with, as well, but they had problems sitting on the floor with him, and if they did, they often groaned and said that they were too old for things like this. Charlie seemed to be much younger and would surely have no problems playing with him.

"No, Severus, Charlie isn't here to play, and you still have to eat your breakfast," Minerva said sternly and moved the bowl towards Severus again.

"I'm not hungry anymore," Severus said, sulking, and pushed his bottom lip out.

"Severus," Albus warned, "what did Aunt Poppy tell you about eating?"

Severus sighed and took his spoon again.

"You know what, Severus? You eat your breakfast now, and I will organize everything I have to do up until dinner, and then I will take you for a walk and a little fly on the broom, if Minerva and Albus give their okay," Charlie said to cheer Severus up.

"Oh please, Minwa!" Severus begged and jumped excitedly on his chair.

"I don't know, Charlie. Flying? He is very young and still not fully recovered," Minerva said worriedly.

"Remember, Professor, I was one of the best Quidditch players in my school years here. While working with the dragons, I got even better. You don't have to worry. I will only fly low, and I'll have a good grip on him. He looks very pale and should get some fresh air." Charlie tried to calm Minerva's nerves.

"I think it will be okay, Minerva, and Severus will enjoy spending some time away from us," Albus said calmingly.

"Okay, okay, you've convinced me," Minerva gave in.

Severus smiled at Charlie and started to eat the rest of his breakfast.

After finishing his cup of coffee, Charlie stood up and addressed Albus, "Where can I find Professor Moody? He said he would help me to arrange my new quarters and check the Potions lab and storeroom."

"His quarters are right next to the infirmary. Do you want to use the Floo network again?"

"No, no, I would prefer to walk through the castle. It's quite some time since I last had the opportunity for this. I still remember the way to the infirmary from my school years." He smirked at Minerva.

"Oh, yes, I remember very well, and that doesn't make it easy for me to allow your adventure with Sev."

Severus was shocked. "But you promised!" He spat milk and cereal, which seconds before were still in his mouth, all over the table.

Minerva rolled her eyes. "Severus, don't speak with your mouth full of food." She waved her wand over the spilled liquid and vanished it. "And don't look at me like that. I just said it isn't easy for me to allow it, not that I won't allow it. Now, eat the rest of your cereal before it is completely soggy. You'll need strength to hold yourself on the broom."

That made Severus smile again.

Charlie stood up and said, "I'm older and more responsible now, Professor. I will take good care of your little charge."

"We know, we know, Charlie, but the situation is still quite new for us, and so we are a little over-protective," Albus explained while standing up to accompany Charlie to the door.

"I totally understand," Charlie said and leaned over to whisper the rest. "He looks a little ill and vulnerable."

"Yes, there have been some unpleasant surprises concerning Severus' first childhood," Albus replied in a low voice as they headed for the door.

"If you want, you can join us for dinner up here or join the other teachers in the Great Hall for dinner. There are already a few here in the castle, and I'm sure they would love to meet you."

"Yes, I think I will eat in the Great Hall. That gives me the opportunity to speak with some of them. I really have to see Professor Sprout about supplying me with plants for my potions storeroom. I will come by and take Severus when I have finished dinner and my conversation with her."

_________________

"Come over here, Severus," Albus called for him.

Severus had played peacefully on his play carpet while Minerva and Albus did their adult stuff. It must be very boring to look at so many papers. Severus hated papers because they reminded him of the times when his father forced him to draw the stupid letters again and again. When Albus called, he feared he would have to draw letters again. Grumpily he left his play figures and the small flying carpet on the floor and went over to Albus.

"Climb up on my lap, Severus, I want to show you something," Albus said.

Minerva sat down beside them on the couch.

When Severus was comfortable in his lap, Albus showed him a photo. "That was you while you were an adult, Severus. Do you remember what we told you? You have been de-aged with a potion. Therefore Charlie is here to take over your job as the Potions master, and you don't have to worry about having to go back home."

Severus leaned into Albus' chest to find some comfort. He looked fearfully at the photo. "Father?"

"No, Severus, that's not your father. It's you, as you looked two days ago. You have been a good man and friend to us. In three weeks, the students will come back to the castle, and maybe some will tell you things about your former life. I cannot explain it in detail to you because you wouldn't understand, but I want you to know that you can always come to us when you hear something that makes you sad or confused. We love you, Severus, but some people didn't like your adult self. You had to be strict and a little cold to many people because you had another job besides being a teacher here in the castle. Maybe some of them will be a little cautious around you first or tell you things that will worry you. If that happens, you must promise me to come to us or Alastor or Poppy. We will help you and try to explain everything to you."

"Sev bad man?"

"No, Sev," Minerva said with tears in her eyes. Remembering the adult Severus made her very sad. She took Sev, placed him on her lap and hugged him close. "Sev is the little boy here, and he is the cutest and nicest child I have ever seen. The man in the photo was one of my best friends, Severus Snape, a great man, who suffered a lot to help others. He should have had a free life after all that happened, but some people were too ignorant to see this. So he had to be de-aged. He is part of you, Sev, but you won't become the same man as the one you can see in the photo. Severus was often sad and bitter because he had gone through so much in his life. You will have a better life, Sev. I promise this. We will make sure that nobody will hurt you again, and we always will be there for you."

"Good man? Friend?" Severus asked bewildered and a little scared about Minerva's behavior. "No cry, Minwa. Sev be good." He hugged her.

"Of course you are a good boy, Sev. I feel much better by having you in my arms."

Severus looked up into her face and smiled.

Minerva couldn't resist his winsome face and smiled. She leaned over and kissed his forehead. "My cute little baby."

"No baby. Sev big boy!" Severus protested.

That made Minerva laugh and her tears stop. "Yes, and you will get even bigger when you eat your dinner nicely. Come on, it's time for the bathroom. I'm sure the house-elves will serve dinner soon."

 

Chapter 11 - Pomona and Filius

The dinner went well, without any problems. Severus had already finished his meal and was eagerly looking at the fireplace. "When will the red man come?" he asked Minerva.

"His name is Charlie, Sev, and he will come when he has finished his meal," Minerva explained calmly.

"Arlie," Severus mumbled to himself.

One of the portraits announced that a visitor was at the front door.

Severus jumped down from his chair and ran towards the entrance.

"SEVERUS!" Minerva shouted after him.

Severus stopped and stood stock-still. He had spent enough time with Minerva that he knew it wasn't good when Minerva used his full name. He hunched his shoulders and looked at the floor.

When Minerva reached him, she turned him by his shoulder so that he had to face her. "Look at me, Severus!"

Severus was scared. Please, don't let her forbid me to go with Arlie. He looked up into Minerva's face and waited for what was sure to come.

"The front door is taboo, Sev. You will only use it when one of us is with you. It's too dangerous if you open it alone, even if you know who is standing in front of it. Do you understand this?" Minerva asked him very seriously.

Severus nodded and looked fearfully at Minerva. He hardly noticed that Albus had passed them to open the door. When Charlie came into the living room, Severus was looking uncertainly from him to Minerva. Will she tell him that I was bad and won't let me fly with him?

"Something wrong, Sevvy?" Charlie asked when he saw the worried look on Severus' face.

"Sev bad," Severus said and looked unhappily at the floor again.

"No, Sev, you are not bad, but you have to learn some rules here. We don't want you to run in the house because you could slip and hurt yourself, and we don't want you to open the door because we want to know who is visiting us and it could be dangerous. These rules have their reasons, and you have to understand them," Minerva explained calmly. "You are not bad, but next time, you need to remember the rules and behave, okay?"

Severus nodded his head. He didn't want Minerva to be mad at him. He knew the rules from his father, but he had other reasons for them or never explained why the rules were important. At home he wasn't allowed to run because it was too loud and he might break something, and he wasn't allowed to speak with visitors because he was just an annoying freak. Here the rules often seemed to be so that he wouldn't hurt himself. He didn't understand why this was so important for the adults here. Many things are different with Minwa and Albus, Severus thought.

"Arlie flying with Sev?" Severus asked Charlie hopefully.

"Of course, I have already spoken with Madam Hooch. She is the flying instructor here at Hogwarts. She will give us the best broom that she has," Charlie said to Severus and smiled when he saw that Severus brightened up upon hearing this. "So are you ready to come with me?"

"Yes!" Severus said and started to bounce up and down in excitement.

"Let's look for your shoes, and then we will head down to the Quidditch pitch," Charlie said while leading Severus into the hall by his shoulders.

Severus started to run in the direction of the small shoe cupboard, but remembered Minerva's words and forced himself to walk after a short apologizing look at Minerva. He took his shoes out of the cupboard, sat down on the floor and struggled to put them on.

Minerva knelt in front of Severus and helped him into his shoes, tying the laces.

"Have fun, my darling," Minerva said and kissed his forehead when he was fully dressed. She glanced worriedly at Charlie who smiled soothingly at her.

"Yes, and say hello to Madam Hooch for us," Albus added while patting Severus' head.

"'Kay," Severus said and left with Charlie for his first big adventure in his new home.

Charlie offered his hand to Severus, and the lad took it gratefully because now, outside Minwa's and Albus' nice bright quarters, it was a little dark and scary in the castle. The portraits they passed whispered to each other. They were discussing who the two new people were that strolled through the halls.

They had almost reached the big entrance door when the poltergeist, Peeves, crossed their path. "Oh, who do we have here? A red haired one, obviously a Weasley, but not one of the twins," Peeves said unpleasantly while flying circles around the two. "And who is this ugly one? Black hair and so scared. Are you scared of old Peeves?" the poltergeist said dangerously. When he said the last sentence, he hovered only a few inches away from Severus' face.

Severus was terrified and pressed himself as near as possible to Charlie's legs.

"Go away, Peeves!" Charlie commanded, annoyed by Peeves' behavior. When he felt Severus tremble around his legs, he started to get worried. He took Severus by his arm and addressed Peeves again, "I would be careful, Peeves. This is Severus, the new charge of the headmaster, and I think you don't want to cross him."

"Ah, the shrunken old bat of the dungeons. Not so scary anymore, Professor? The students will kick you when they get the chance," Peeves said viciously and grinned evilly.

Severus was crying now and said fearfully, "Want back to Minwa and Albus, Arlie. Please!" He hid his head in Charlie's neck and hoped the bad ghost would go away soon.

"That's enough!" a squeaking voice yelled. When Severus looked up curiously, he saw first a chubby woman and then the tiny little man beside her. The little man had his wand in hand, and it seemed that it was he who had spoken a few seconds ago to the ghost. He waved his wand, and Peeves disappeared screaming. Severus jerked around to see where the ghost was and realized in relief that he was gone.

Meanwhile the other two had come nearer. "You should show Peeves his place, Charlie, or he will walk all over you," the chubby lady said to Charlie. Then her glance fell on Severus. "And that must be our little Severus." She smiled at Severus and held her arms out in his direction. "Won't you come to Aunt Pomona?"

Severus looked at her with big eyes, but she looked very kind, and so he decided that it wouldn't hurt to let her cuddle him. That's what all the people here seem to do, and he liked to be cuddled. So he reached for the nice lady and let her take him in her soft arms.

"How are you, Severus? Do you like the castle?" Pomona asked in a friendly tone.

Severus looked around again, and it was obvious that he still was frightened. "Bad ghost."

"Did Peeves scare you? You don't have to be scared. He is just a mean poltergeist, Sevvy. We will watch so that he doesn't annoy you." Pomona lightly swayed him up and down to calm him.

"I don't want the kids to kick me," Severus said sadly and laid his head on Pomona's shoulder. What if the kids will hate me like the ghost and my father? Severus thought worriedly.

"Severus, come on, look at me," Pomona said and positioned him so she could see his face. "The students won't hate you. How can someone, beside a stupid old poltergeist, hate someone as cute as you? They will love you, you'll see. Don't worry about it."

Severus was a little calmer now, and he hoped that the nice lady was right. He remembered that the lady wasn't alone and looked for the small man.

Professor Flitwick had moved over to Charlie's side and looked curiously at Pomona and Severus. When he saw that Severus was looking at him, he said, "Hello, young man, I'm Filius. I teach Charms here at Hogwarts. We will speak with the headmaster about Peeves, and I'm sure he will have a serious talk with him."

"Charms?" Severus let the word roll on his tongue. "You a great wizard. Ghost is dead?"

"No, he isn't dead. He just ran or rather flew away. But he knows now that you are under our protection. He will think twice before he annoys you again," Filius said as calmingly as he could with his high-pitched voice.

"So where were you two heading?" Pomona asked Charlie while she still lightly swayed Severus.

"We were going to go flying. Madam Hooch is already waiting for us," Charlie explained. "Do you still want to fly, Sevvy?" he asked Severus because after all this stress, he wasn't sure if Severus still wanted to go flying.

Severus also wasn't so sure about it. He would like to cuddle with Minwa now and tell Albus what the bad ghost had said, but cuddling with Pom was also very nice and so he laid his head again on her comfortable shoulder.

"Of course you want to fly, right? You don't let a stupid poltergeist spoil all your fun. Charlie is a great flier, and you will love flying. The fresh air will do you good," Pomona said encouragingly.

"Come flying too, Aunt Pomo... Pomom...?" Severus tried to say the name, but he couldn't get it right.

Pomona chuckled and said, "Pommy will do, sweetie."

"Aunt Pommy flying?" Severus asked hopefully. He was now much more enthusiastic.

Now Pomona had to laugh heartily, and Charlie and Filius couldn't suppress a chuckle. "Me on a broom? Oh, please, it would be disastrous. Charlie is the better one for this, my sweetie. He will take good care of you, don't worry. Nevertheless, I would love if you two came by the greenhouses when you finish your flight." When she turned to Charlie, she added, "I could also show you the new plants I told you about, Charlie."

"What do you think, Sevvy, will we visit Professor Sprout after our flight?" Charlie asked while holding his arms open for Severus to climb in again.

"Prout?" Severus was confused and looked at Charlie after he managed to make himself comfortable in his arms.

"It's Pomona for you, Charlie. We are colleagues now, and you have to start to get comfortable with calling us by our first names," she said to Charlie. She patted Severus' head and said, "And for you it is Aunt Pommy, okay?"

"'Kay," Severus said happily.

"Filius and I will meet with Albus and Minerva now, and I will be in greenhouse four in a half an hour. Just come by if you still have the energy after your flight!" she said, and then Filius and she said their goodbyes.

"Now let's get flying, Sevvy!" Charlie said and planted Severus back on his feet.

 

Chapter 12 - Flying with Charlie and Ro

 

When the two came near the Quidditch pitch, they could see Rolanda Hooch busily rummaging in the broom shed.

 

"Hello, Madam Hooch!" Charlie greeted the busy woman.

 

The flying teacher turned around, without even looking at Charlie and Severus, and said, "Rolanda, Charlie, just Rolanda." She dusted the filth from her robes and waved the spider webs out of her short, silver hair.

 

When she finally looked at her guests, Severus could see her odd yellow eyes. They were not only this crazy color, but also seemed to have inflexible pupils that made them look hard and demanding. But something about her didn't make Severus scared. She looks like Mo, the hedgehog, in one of the books in my room. His eyes jumped from her eyes to her ruffled hair and back.

 

"If Alastor has sneaked that damn ‘Mo, the Hedgehog' book in your room, I swear I will kill him," she said, but when she saw that Severus was scared by this, she tried to smile. "Oh, my, you have to learn not to take everything I say so seriously, Severus. I'm not one of those crazy, cuddle addicted women in this castle, but I also don't eat little children."

 

"Yes, Severus, Madam Hooch is very cool, and she can fly like hell," Charlie said admiringly.

 

"Rolanda, Charlie. What's so damn hard about it?" Rolanda said while handing Charlie one of the two broomsticks she had fetched from the broom shed.

 

Charlie reached for the broom. "Ah, a Firebolt. I didn't know you had one here."

 

"It's one of my private brooms," Rolanda said. "I still prefer the Nimbus 2000. It's more flexible," she explained while gesturing towards the broom in her hand. "Minerva wouldn't forgive me if I let you fly with this tyke on a poor Cleansweep."

 

"Arlie good flyer, Aunt Ro," Severus tried to assure her because he feared that she wouldn't let him fly if she thought Minerva didn't approve. "Minwa says okay."

 

"Aunt Ro? Oh, please don't call me that. Just Ro will do if Rolanda is too hard for you," she said, amused.

 

Severus realized that she was really different to the other women. She didn't try to cuddle him, and she didn't want him to call her aunt. There was nobody he could compare her with, but he thought it could be nice to play with her. It seemed she wouldn't be so easily worried. Maybe, she would even let him try to fly alone. "Me fly alone?" he asked while trying to make the expression the others liked so much.

 

Rolanda laughed. "Nice try, puppy, but that look won't work on me." She playfully tapped her broom handle on his head.

 

She looked at Charlie again. "We don't want Minwa to have a heart attack, do we, Arlie?" she said teasingly.

 

Charlie grinned at her. "Of course not, Rolanda." He looked down at Severus and tried to cheer the slightly disappointed child up by saying, "I'm sure Rolanda will teach you how to fly before Bryanna and Kenneth are even allowed to climb on a broom with someone else. They are my brother Bill's kids and are as old as you are."

 

That really cheered Severus up. Being able to do something before other children his age were allowed to do it made him feel special, and he really liked to feel special. He smiled proudly at Rolanda.

 

"Yes, I will make a perfect little Quidditch star out of you," Rolanda said and patted Severus' head with her gloved hand. "And now, let's start." With one fluid motion she was on her broom, zooming away.

 

Severus stood open mouthed and looked after Rolanda, who still was flying near the ground, but very fast.

 

Charlie, meanwhile, had straddled his broom and grinned at the awed child. "Come on, Severus, let's see if you like flying." He opened his arms and gestured for Severus to climb in front of him on the broom.

 

Rolanda was hovering a few meters away from them, two meters up in the air. "Let him sit as near as possible to you, Charlie, and hold him tight with one of your arms." She went in full teacher mode and now addressed Severus, who had become a little nervous. "Everything okay, tyke? Grab the handle and relax. No, more forward, Severus. Yes, that's right." She flew around them and came to a halt directly beside Charlie's broomstick. "Ready?"

 

Severus was biting his bottom lip, and he felt his heart beat in his chest. Please don't let him fly as fast as Ro did .

 

"What's going on, Severus. Don't want to fly anymore?" Rolanda asked worriedly.

 

Severus turned his head very slightly to look at Ro. "Don't know!"

 

"You don't have to worry. We will stop as soon as you want us to, okay?" Rolanda said to calm the child. She wasn't used to working with children of that age, but she had no problem with taking all the time Severus would need.

 

"'Kay," Severus said uncertainly.

 

"Nice and easy then, Charlie." With that she accelerated her broom, and Charlie followed.

 

First Severus felt awkward and his tummy started to tingle, but soon he got used to the feeling. After a few minutes Severus was frantically shouting, "Faster, Arlie, faster." He felt so good. Flying was great. "Get Ro! Get Ro!" His laughter and shouts surely could be heard at the highest tower of Hogwarts.

 

His laughter is so natural and fresh , Charlie thought and smiled because the laughter was so infectious.

 

When they finally stopped after half an hour of playing 'Catch Ro', Severus was still giggling.

 

"Who would have thought Severus could laugh like this. It's really refreshing," Rolanda said, breathlessly. Her normally pale face now had more color, and she looked more relaxed.

 

"Already getting soft, Rolanda?" Charlie mocked her, grinning madly.

 

"Yeah, it really seems so, but if you tell anyone, Charlie Weasley, so help you god," she said, but her tone was still too happy to worry Severus, and she couldn't impress Charlie with it either.

 

"Enough for today, Severus, but you can come back whenever you want, and we can have a fly. Maybe next time a little higher," Rolanda promised.

 

"What did I tell you, Severus? She is really cool, isn't she?" Charlie asked Severus while placing the lad on his feet again to climb from the broom himself.

 

"Yeah, Ro cool," Severus said, jumping around excitedly.

 

"Thanks, for lending us the broom and flying with us, Rolanda. We'll visit Pomona now in the greenhouses, right, Sev?"

 

"Yes, Aunt Pommy nice," Severus explained to Rolanda.

 

"Yes, I'm sure you like her. Has she already made you addicted to her homemade toffees?" Rolanda asked. "No?" she asked when she saw the confused look on Severus face. "Then you should ask her for one."

 

"Come on, Sev, let's go." Charlie took Severus hand. "See ya, Rolanda!"

 

"Sure, Charlie, you are always welcome, and I'm always up for a little race," she said and winked at him.

 

"Bye, Ro," Severus called and waved his free hand at her while Charlie led him towards the greenhouses.

 

"Bye bye, tyke!" she said and then turned, head shaking, to the broom shed. God, I'm getting soft over a miniature Snape. You would have a good laugh if you could see me now, Severus Snape, you old bugger. Then she had to grin, but you couldn't have laughed as breathtakingly as this little tyke.

Please don't forget to review to let me know if I should continue uploading.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1920