Just a father by watercrystals
Summary: It was the start of his second year when Harry couldn't force his realization away any longer. He needed a father, even if it was a bad, uninterested father...he still needed one. So what motivated him to ask Severus Snape?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 2nd Year
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: No Word count: 64120 Read: 130483 Published: 05 Sep 2009 Updated: 03 Dec 2010
Spinner's Christmas by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Thanks again to my reviews, so sorry I am yet to offer replies as time was cut short after answering the ones from my other fic. Will get around to it asap though, promise!

Perhaps it was the new surroundings or the anticipation of having an actual Christmas this year...but either way, Harry awoke on Christmas morning to find that there was barely any light coming into his window although it was clearly daybreak

Harry stretched and yawned before remembering that it was Christmas morning and forgot to even change out of his pyjamas before he rushed from the room, tip-toed past Snape's bedroom and made his way into the sitting room.

The tree stood as it did the night before, apart from the now-faded lights but underneath...was something different. There were brightly wrapped gifts of various sizes, all looking so tempting and wonderous to Harry but he couldn't quite grasp that they could be for him. Surely Snape didn't receive many gifts from friends or family? But then again, who did Harry have apart from Ron and Hermione?

Deciding to ponder those thoughts later, Harry glanced around in search of his new father but to his surprise, he reached the conclusion that he had indeed awoken before the man had himself.

It was so surreal to Harry as he finally had the Christmas he'd only heard of: waking up really early to find a stack of presents under the decorated tree and then having to wake his parent up in order to open them. He wasn't sure if that rule actually applied here, but he felt the desire to further experience his new position as a son and quietly made his way upstairs.

It wasn't until he'd reached for the doorknob did Harry reconsider. Hadn't Snape agreed last night that he could wake him if Harry was up before he was? But what if it was indeed too early or if he'd changed his mind? Was he overstepping things once again? Just as he had when he'd asked to stay here over the holidays? What if waking him would cause Snape to think that he was as annoying as he'd previously thought and wanted him out? Would he be sent back to the Dursleys? Surely Snape wasn't mean enough to do that on Christmas Day? But Harry didn't want to risk it.

However, despite his mind pleading him to turn back and just wait for the man to get up...he couldn't gather the strength to remove his hand from the knob or to walk away. A small part of his imagination sparked with the image of the tree downstairs and he daydreamed about jumping on his parent's bed to wake them as he would have done if Voldemort hadn't taken them from him. Snape was his father now and against all fears, Harry felt as though he should take the chance to feel as though he was actually a son who had a real family...besides, the man had admitted that he cared somewhat about him.

That was a good enough motivation for Harry and he turned the knob slowly before enabling himself to swallow a gulp of air and peak into the room.

Perhaps he should have knocked, for Snape was out of bed and standing nearby waving his wand over his cloak although he wasn't wearing it yet. Instead he was dressed in his usual black attire although without the vest and his feet had only socks on instead of his shoes as well.

"Oh, sorry!" Harry winced and now wished that he'd remained downstairs to wait.

"You just said I could...you know? Wake you if I got up first and you weren't up so I..." He trailed off and blushed.

"I recall such an agreement" Snape replied, not letting Harry know that he'd sent a charm to awake him when the boy awoke so he could get up without having Harry startle him from his slumber. His instincts would have caused him to react and clutch his wand faster than anyone could blink and Snape did not want to end up hexing Harry...without reason. Besides, it was not an appealing thought to have a child awake him as rudely as he was sure the boy had intended to do.

"Right, well I'll wait for you downstairs?" Harry mumbled and lowered his gaze to the floor, feeling a bit embarrassed although there wasn't really much reason to.

"Harry" Snape's voice caused him to pause as he'd turned to leave the room.

"I would much prefer that you change from your sleeping attire before we proceed downstairs" He said, raising an eyebrow at Harry's appearance as it had been one of his rules for the boy not to do wander around the house in his pyjamas.

"Oh!" Harry gasped and stared down at his clothes. "Sorry, I was just...in a hurry when I got up" He blushed again and left the room, feeling rather humiliated as he went to change.

Snape stared at the doorway and for once, he let a broken rule slip and just proceeded to find his shoes, smirking to himself slightly as he remembered the stunned look on the boy's face.

Harry scanned the few clothes he had and decided to be a bit festive and grabbed a green t-shirt to go with his jeans before running a hand through his hair and left his room.

"I feel like I'm betraying gryffindor somehow" Harry sighed to himself as he stared down at his shirt but tossed those thoughts aside for now as he couldn't be bothered changing again and nothing else seemed to be apropriate enough.

--

He found Snape downstairs frowning at the Daily Prophet in his hands as though it was an offending object but once Harry came into view, he discarded it and glanced at the Christmas tree.

"I believe that it is only fitting for you to open your gifts now" He said and caught the quirk in Harry's eyebrows as though he was trying to conceal excitement.

"They can't all be for me" Harry said as he approached the tree and crouched in front of it while Snape seated himself in an armchair to his left.

"I cannot imagine myself recieving such a pile of gifts during this time of year" Snape said dully. "And certainly not that colourfully decorated" He frowned at the spotted, shiny and mostly red or gold presents.

"Nor do I recall being sorted into Gryffindor" Snape added with a hint of distaste.

"Right" Harry smirked and reached for the first gift to see that it was from Hermione and was the shape of a book or two, of course.

Snape watched curiously as Harry unwrapped each gifts that contained candy, books, several unusual items, a jumper from Mrs Weasley and various other things that didn't really catch his attention.

But as the presents under the tree lessened and the wrapping paper piled higher, Snape found himself feeling slightly anxious for a certain gift was now clutched in the boy's hands.

Harry stared at the skarlet package tied with a blue ribbon and saw that the card read "To Harry, from your new father" and he glanced at Snape who stared back as though he was feeling rather uncomfortable.

Harry grabbed at the ribbon and pulled it loose to reveal his gift inside. There were three items. One was a book titled "A history of Quiddtich players and their broomsticks", the second item was an odd watch that seemed to be running backwards and then forwards but it was gold and looked rather expensive. As great as those two things were, Harry found the third to be most important for it was a velvet box of a deep blood colour and inside he found a small sack of photographs. A few were of his father or of the three of them, but most of them were of his mother during her times at school.

"Where...where did you get these?" Harry asked softly as he looked over at Snape.

"Your mother was a friend of mine during our time at Hogwarts" Snape replied but refused to elaborate any further.

Harry stared back down at his photographs and remembered how Hagrid had given him an album last year but those were basic, posed photos...however these ones were much more. There was one of his mother sitting at the Gryffindor table with his father and three other boys laughing nearby. Another had her climbing an oak tree at a park in which Harry didn't recognise. There was one of his father a lot older and swooping in and out of view on a broomstick while another boy laughed nearby. A few were in colour though and Harry was confused.

"I thought wizarding photographs were only black and white?" He questioned.

"There is an enchantment that aims to reveal the colours" Snape answered. "But it does not always work and is rather complex to perform."

"Oh" Harry nodded and sighed before closing the box and looked determined now.

"Thanks" He mumbled but reached under the tree and pulled out a green gift wrapped with silver and gold ribbons. He turned and held it out to Snape with an anxious and eager expression whilst biting his lip softly.

Snape eyed it closely before taking it from the boy and examining the note in which read: "To father, from Harry. Merry Christmas".

He opened the gift and found a thick book inside on rare and hard-to-find potions ingredients that included a full history of their use and how the potions they were used in had been discovered. Even he could not hide the small smile that appeared on his face for it was a rather rare and expensive book.

"I didn't know what to get you" Harry said nervously as though Snape had scowled instead.

"And I know you like potions so I...well I asked Hermione to look up how to owl-order something and this was on the list so I got it and..." He trailed off and looked away.

"Thank you, Harry" Snape said and the boy looked up with a soft expression of vunerability.

"It is an impressive gift" He added and Harry grinned.

"I'm glad you like it" Harry said, turning to look at the last few gifts under the tree. There were a few for Snape from Dumbledore and various others as well as (for some reason unknown to Harry) one from Draco and his parents. But seeing no others for himself, Harry settled back to enjoy the ones he had received which was a lot more than the previous year. He found himself reaching for his box of photos again after having flipped through his books a few times.

"I believe it is time for breakfast" Snape interupted after a moment as he got up and headed into the kitchen. Harry nodded and followed while turning over his strange watch in his hand.

"Sir? What does this do, I mean besides telling time?" He asked. "The hands are moving in weird ways...I actually can't tell the time on them."

"It only reveals the correct time to the owner" Snape replied while busying himself with the food.

"If you place the watch on your arm it should reveal that it is almost 6:30am. Whereas if someone else were to stare at the hands they would reveal the time approximatly several hours earlier, although it varies" He explained.

"Oh, cool" Harry said while strapping the watch onto his arm to see that what Snape had said was true and the time became clear but there were also a few snitches flying around on it now.

"It's wicked" Harry grinned.

Snape glanced sideways at him for a moment and returned to the breakfast, hiding his smirk as he was relieved to hear that Harry liked the gifts he had spent hours picking out for him.

"But sir..." Harry frowned in confusion. "When did you buy these? I mean you didn't know I was coming until a few days ago and you haven't left..."

"I purchased the gifts several weeks prior" Snape replied. "The watch however came as an owl-order whereas most of the photographs I already had in my possession" He added, not willing to admit the frustration it was to track down several more pictures of James and the other Marauders with him. It had been a tiring task indeed and he was disgusted to discover that he did own a resonable amount of them that weren't offensive to the four boys he despised.


They settled down and ate breakfast in silence. Afterwards Snape waved his wand about the sitting room to rid it of the brightly coloured wrappings but left the tree there for Harry to take down tomorrow.

The rest of the morning passed by as he and Harry read some of their new books and just enjoyed the silent company of the other.

Lunch was sandwiches containing some of the ham from the night before and that was when Harry recieved a letter from Ron, describing how he wished Harry was there and how much fun he was having. Snape eyed the envious look on Harry's face and the way he sighed as he read the note and slumped his shoulders as he did whenever he was disapointed or sad.

"I do believe that the Weasleys would enjoy your company for several hours" Snape said, surprising even hismelf with his words.

"If you were to floo-call them and request permission to visit, I am sure that it could be arranged under the condition that you return before 6:00pm."

"Really?" Harry grinned. "Are you sure?"

"I have no objection" Snape said, biting back further comments as he said it.

"That'd be great, thanks!" Harry rushed over to the fireplace and went about his call before grabbing some things when Mrs Weasley's thrilled voice invited him right over.

And with that, Harry was gone.

Snape frowned as he had no idea why he had done that and regretted it as the sitting room appeared to darken and fall deathly silent. The absence of Harry removed the warmth and contentness of the place, much to Snape's annoyance for he'd never had Harry there before and it had seemed relatively peaceful all previous years since he had begun teaching at Hogwarts.

And the worst part...was that after only an hour, he was starting to miss Harry. Even if it was only for a moment.

--

"That's wicked, mate!" Ron grinned as Harry explained what he'd gotten for Christmas and how he was enjoying his time with Snape so far. He left out important details such as the hugging and nightmares for it felt rather personal and embarrassing if he were to reveal it to Ron right now with all the other Weasley around.

He spent the day flying outside with the twins, Ron and Ginny and that was probably the highlight of his visit for he never realised how much he missed flying until he went without it for a period of time. Mrs Weasley gave him more lunch until he was sure he would collapse from all the food. Afterwards was more Quidditch and then it was getting rather late so Harry headed back towards the fireplace to bid his farewells.

"Well it was great having you over, mate" Ron grinned.

"Yeah, thanks for having me" Harry said to everyone.

"Nonesense, you're always welcome dear" Mrs Weasley patted his cheek and reached for the floo powder. "Do take care."

"I will, thanks again" Harry nodded and within minutes he was shooting out of the fireplace and back into the sitting room at Spinner's End.

Snape had heard the sound from downstairs in his potions lab so he finished what he was doing and made his way upstairs. He rolled his eyes at Harry's appearance and flicked his wand to remove the soot from the boy's hair, face and clothes. Only then did he check to see what time it was and notice that Harry was early by about half an hour.

"Thanks" Harry mumbled as he dusted himself off.

"I assume that you had an enjoyable visit?" Snape asked casually or at least what was to be considered as "casual" coming from him.

"Yeah" Harry nodded. "Um, but I wanted to thank you properly. I mean you didn't have to let me stay here, or get me something for Christmas...and you really didn't have to let me spent the day with Ron and the Weasleys instead of staying here, not that I would have minded much..." He sighed.

"You've been really great to me and I don't even know how to thank you enough."

"Allowing my house to remain standing is repayment enough" Snape replied, partially joking.

"Although your gratitude is noted and apriciated. I too wish to offer thanks."

"Hm?" Harry looked up at those words.

"I intended to spend this holiday alone and in peace" Snape explained. "However, your company has been toleratable if not pleasing" He told the boy, seeing the smile on his face.

Harry squirmed for a moment and then inhaled sharply and forced his legs to move as he approached Snape, but seemed to think better of his actions once he came near enough.

"Erm, permission to hug?" He mumbled, unsure if he should attempt such an action but Snape had said he would provide it. Although it wasn't a comforting hug but merely a thankful one.

Snape said nothing and just wrapped the boy in an awkward embrance until they relaxed and it came more naturally.

"Thanks dad" Harry whispered but caught himself quickly as Snape released him soon after. "I...I mean, sir. Thanks sir" He gasped and looked away, directing his attention elsewhere.

"So um, what's for dinner?"

"I am yet to decide" Snape answered as he stared at the boy, rather stunned for he'd heard the boy's slip quite clearly.

"Right. Do you need any help with it?" Harry asked, blushing but he hid his face rather well. "You know? When you decide what we're having?"

"I believe I will manage without your assistance" Snape replied dryly.

"However..." He glanced over the boy and saw that it was more than soot that smudged his clothes. He suspected the twins were involved in bringing about a Quidditch matche for Harry had a light scratch on the back of his hand also. "I insist that you freshen up before we begin our meal" He said, crinkling his nose slightly in dislike.

"Yes sir" Harry said as if he was releived for the reason to leave the room and he headed upstairs to have a shower.

Snape watched the boy leave and glanced down at his own clothes for the boy had hugged him whilst being that filthy. She flickered his wand to freshen his clothes but it was more of a distraction that an actual bother. He pickled rat spleens and endured potion fumes for a living, after all; what was a little dirt?

He turned towards the kitchen and barely pondered on the upcoming meal for his mind kept drifting back to the boys clearly unintentional slip. He'd called him "dad" surely there was no mistaking in that but what did it mean? Snape still felt unworthy of such a title and wondered if Harry actually considered him that deeply involved in his life now or if he was merely hopedful, greatful or in a good mood to not consider his words?

No, he hadn't called him "father" but specifically chose "dad" which had a much more trusting and personal meaning to it.

Snape wasn't sure what to think or how he was supposed to react to such a thing. Perhaps it would be best to just take it all one step at a time? Yeah, and dinner was a good place to start.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please let me know what you think! :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1927