Just a father by watercrystals
Summary: It was the start of his second year when Harry couldn't force his realization away any longer. He needed a father, even if it was a bad, uninterested father...he still needed one. So what motivated him to ask Severus Snape?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 2nd Year
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: No Word count: 64120 Read: 130484 Published: 05 Sep 2009 Updated: 03 Dec 2010
Hogwarts afresh by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
A do apoligize for the delay, however I doubt anyone will complain since this is a much longer chapter than I planned but simply could not shorten and use later. Enjoy!
Harry sat in the Gryffindor common room and read over the book Snape had given him for Christmas while he waited for his friends. It was quite interesting, not just because it was about Quidditch but also there were many incidences that Harry had to keep reading about to find out how they ended or who was found responsible. It made him a bit nervous knowing how easily one could be injured by a spectator during a Quidditch match and was flashing back to his first ever Quidditch game in which his own boom had been hexed to try and throw him off. Snape had saved him then too...or at least he had tried to.

"Harry!" Hermione grinned as she spotted him and he was forced to bookmark the page and put it down with a sigh, but smiled up at his two best friends anyway.

"Hey" He shrugged and noticed Ron eying the book with interest.

"We found him reading, how long have you been stuck here Harry?" Ron joked.

"It was a present" Harry answered. "Besides, it's really interesting."

"A present?" Hermione raised her eyebrows and glanced around but everyone was going about their own business, not that there were very many people around though. "From...him?"

"Yeah" Harry nodded. "But that's not just why I like it."

"Bloody hell, Harry" Ron shook his head, still in shock over who Harry was considering his parent and how naturally it was becoming for them to think of Snape like that.

"So how was your Christmas?" Harry asked Hermione and the boys sat down to listen in mild interest until she was finished and then they conversed about random things and it wasn't until time for dinner that they left the common room and headed down to the Great Hall.

---

Harry sat at the Gryffindor table and found himself only mildly missing Snape's house. It had been cramped, quiet, dark and not entirely as warm as Hogwarts was, but perhaps it was how he could talk to Snape without worrying about everyone else. It had been his best Christmas ever, even with the troubles and issues they'd stumbled into, or rather he had created. But all the same, it felt just as Harry imagined a new home would feel. But that thought caused him to hesitated...was he thinking of Snape's home as his own? That couldn't be right, sure he'd let him stay for Christmas to avoid going to the Dursleys and sure there was hugging and comfort involved, he had even suggested blood adoption some day...but that didn't mean he had invited Harry to stay with him, not permanently. And things were still rocky between them, why did Harry just think of that place as “home”? He felt a small tingling sensation spread over him and it only lasted a few seconds but he didn't think it was because the idea of living with Snape was more appealing than living with the Dursleys.

"You alright, mate?" Ron asked, noticing that Harry hadn't touched his food and also had a strange look on his face.

Harry didn't answer his friend but looked over towards the staff table. He saw Snape sitting there, eating while trying to ignore McGonagall scowling at him (or so it appeared), Dumbledore had just left his chair and wandered out a back door while two other chairs remained empty.

He pulled his gaze away and stared at his plate, feeling the sensation again but it had come more suddenly and with a sharper sense to it, causing him to jump to his feet in alarm.

"Harry?" Hermione asked, turning to look at him just as many others had.

"I...I gotta go" Harry blushed at drawing attention to himself but had a bad feeling about the further tingling and how he felt mildly dizzy as well. Had he eaten something? Had there been something in his drink? No surely, he hadn't had anything yet.

Rushing out of the Great Hall and ignoring the calls of his friends or murmuring of the other students, Harry ran up stairs and around corners, only focusing on his destination while trying to figure out what was going on and why he was reacting so worriedly, as though somehow he knew this was something urgent.

---

Breathing in relief, he skid to a stop outside the hospital wing and called for Madam Pomfry.

"Potter?" She asked when she spotted him and Harry was relieved that no one else was around. "What have you managed to break this time?"

"I don't know, I feel weird" Harry said, not being able to think of any other way to explain it. "Like something is happening, it's a tingling feeling and keeps spreading. My head hurts too" He rushed but somehow she had managed to catch his words and looked rather concerned with them.

"Very well, sit down and I'll have a look" She said, brushing him over to a bed. She pulled out her wand and did a few spells, just as Dumbledore and Snape arrived.

"There you are, Potter!" Snape scowled, annoyed that the boy had rushed from the Great Hall suddenly and then Dumbledore made a point of getting his attention and they followed the boy here.

"Are you alright, Harry?" Dumbledore asked but everyone in the room had a feeling that the headmaster already knew what was going on.

Harry opened his mouth to answer but Pomfry moved in front of him and explained her findings to Dumbledore, which were basically a more specific version of what he had felt.

"Yes, I feared as much" Dumbledore nodded.

"What's going on?" Harry asked, now nervous if Dumbledore was worried.

"Harry, what were you thinking when you sat in the Great Hall?" Dumbledore asked and Snape glanced at the man as though he was losing his mind.

"I...why?" Harry frowned, blushing slightly as he had no intention of voicing his thoughts...especially in front of Snape; his new father.

"I assure you, it is of utmost importance" Dumbledore said. "Please, Harry...were you thinking of the Dursleys perhaps?"

"Um, sort of" Harry shrugged. "I was just...I..." He ducked his head and sighed, since Dumbledore thought it was important he really had no choice but to say it. Although the tingling sensation had started then...how strange.

"I was thinking about living with my new father, okay?" He ground out.

"New father?" Pomfry gasped. "But Harry, what...?"

"Please Poppy, I will speak with you in a moment" Dumbledore said and while she scowled in annoyance, the nurse still turned and headed into her office.

"Idiot boy" Snape growled. "Do you not realize the consequences of what you have so foolishly done?"

"What?" Harry frowned at those sharper words. "What I have...I didn't do anything!" He said loudly. "I was just thinking about it would be nice and...then I felt weird."

"Yes, I'm afraid that what you felt was the failing of your blood wards, Harry" Dumbledore sighed.

"My...what?" Harry frowned.

"You did not tell him, headmaster?" Snape now transfered his annoyance and blame to the old man.

Dumbledore chose to ignore Snape for the time being and instead answered Harry's confusion.

"When Voldemort killed your parents, Harry" He began. "I placed you on the doorstep of the Dursley's home because they were your only living relatives and for as long as you consider Privet Drive as your home then you would be safe from Voldemort or his followers, should they come looking for you there. The wards would be unbreakable to anyone with less-kinder intents."

"Oh" Harry frowned, now also wondering why they never told him that, although it made some sense to him until it dawned on him why Snape had been so furious. "But since I was thinking about somewhere else as home...the wards failed?"

"As it would seem" Dumbledore nodded. "And it is more complex then simply considering another place as home, but you would need to entirely no longer consider the Dursley's house as your home."

"But I wasn't..." Harry thought about what Dumbledore had said and felt a bit guilty although honestly he had no idea of such wards or protection, nor did he know that a simply wishful thought would lead to the downfall of those wards.

"Can the wards be replaced, headmaster?" Snape's words snapped Harry out of his guilt and he looked up again, frowning as it sounded as though Snape was determined to send Harry back to the Dursleys. Perhaps he had been too hopeful before? Maybe he was taking things the wrong way and over-expecting his future once again. Stupidly, he had once again been fooled into thinking he could have the happiness and family he had wanted. Even the thoughts of blood adoption slipped from his mind.

"Possibly" Dumbledore sighed. "But is unlikely to be as powerful as before now that they have been broken" He looked over at Harry, misunderstanding the miserable look upon his face.

"The fault is not yours, of course. Perhaps I should have informed you" He said but Harry merely shrugged, causing Snape to narrow his eyes suspiciously.

"We will discuss this further once you've had some rest, Harry" Dumbledore said and turned to leave. "Severus?"

Snape glanced over at his name and nodded but paused in the doorway, wondering why Harry was looking so miserable. Perhaps he had wanted to return to those muggles? No, surely not from what he had heard of them so far. Then what else could be bothering the boy? No matter, the headmaster obviously wanted to talk to him and manipulate him into doing something he would much rather not, so Snape turned and followed after the old man.

---

They entered Dumbledore's office and sat across from each other with the desk between them. Snape waited for the man to speak as he wasn't entirely sure what they were to be discussing although Harry's protection was surely of great importance.

"I recall our previous discussion involving the possibility of Voldemort attempting to penetrate Harry's mind while he was sleeping?" Dumbledore asked, ignoring Snape's slight flinch to the name.

"Yes" Snape answered even though there was no question in the sentence. "You suggested I teach the boy to Occlude, I declined."

"Perhaps an unwise decision" Dumbledore frowned slightly. "However, taking these new events into account...Harry is in even more danger than before. Perhaps you ought to reconsider?" Dumbledore said but Snape did not answer so he continued.

"The boy cares for you, Severus, nothing else could have caused him to disregard where his home was so dramatically after mere days. You also mentioned the possibility of blood adopting the boy in the future? If anything, I am certain that you have come to care greatly for the boy yourself."

Snape narrowed his eyes as he did not like where this was going. "What is your point, old man?" He asked in annoyance.

"Blood adoption would strengthen new blood wards, therefore making Harry further protected in the case of-"

"No" Snape interrupted. "I do not believe that either myself or Potter are quite ready to proceed with that course of action at this point. We have even agree to take our time with this...arrangement" He said firmly.

"In addition to such an agreement, it would be unwise to place those wards upon my home. I am still a spy which places myself and the boy in constant danger upon threat. He would hardly be further protected. Allow the boy to stay at Hogwarts or with the Weasleys during the summer."

"I refuse to shift the danger to the Weasleys; they have enough worries on their own without adding such measures into the mix" Dumbledore sighed. "Also Hogwarts had a breach of security during holidays since the incident with Voldemort many months ago...Harry would not even be safe here. There is no other option, Severus."

"I refuse to partake in this discussion any further" Snape got to his feet. "I will not rush this newfound predicament with Harry by applying the blood adoption prematurely. It could also terminate my position as a spy and my services are still required. Find another way" He said and turned to leave, further surprised by the fact that Dumbledore made no efforts to stop him. Even as he left the staircase, Snape still had a feeling that he hadn't won yet.


Ron and Hermione glanced at each other and then towards where Harry was sitting in front of the fire in their common room. He hadn't said so much of a word since he had told them about his failed blood wards nearly an hour ago. Ron settled to eating chocolate frogs and reading the cards while Hermione did homework. Harry did nothing but stare into the fire with a thoughtful decision as though he was seeing flames for the first time.

"Harry?" Hermione dropped her Charms book to her lap and stared at him, trying to pull him from his trance for just a moment. He barely shrugged. "Is everything alright?"

Ron muttered something like “yeah right” but looked as concerned as Hermione did when Harry tore his gaze from the fire to glance at them.

"I think so" Harry sighed and straightened in the sofa, yawning as though he'd just woken up from a long slumber. "I just can't stop thinking...you know? What could have been."

"What do you mean?" Hermione encouraged, surprised but pleased that he was talking to them.

Harry sighed. "I just meant if he actually wanted me..." He shrugged but hoped they wouldn't pity him or anything. He didn't even know why he was talking about it and in the common room, no less.

"Forget it" Harry stood before they could say anything; he's already seen the look on their faces and didn't want to hear Hermione say how surely he wanted him or Ron mutter about Snape being a git.

Harry headed up to the dormitory and lay on his bed, flipping open his treasured and interesting book once again to drown out his thoughts.

---

The hours passed and Harry lay on his side, his eyes closed while faking sleep when Ron and the other boys headed to bed. Not wanting to talk to them or earn weird looks in his direction, Harry remained there for several more minutes even after the snores began and the room otherwise fell silent.

Sighing, Harry rolled onto his back and stared upwards, not sure why it was effecting him so greatly if Snape didn't want him, but he kept thinking back to their Christmas and how he had mentioned wanting to adopt him as his son. Either he hadn't meant it, wants to take it back or...what was the other option?

Scowling, Harry couldn't take it anymore. He got up and carefully gathered his invisibility cloak before sneaking out of the dormitory and the common room which was surprisingly entirely empty.

He had considered confronting Snape but knew it probably wasn't a good idea, also adding in the fact that he was out after curfew. Instead he arrived at the library and while avoiding the restricted section (no need for a repeat of the previous year), he wandered over to where he was sure the required books would be. Placing his cloak in reach, Harry withdrew several books and carefully scanned them while keeping his ears perked for any sound. He finally found the book he wanted and sat down to read with the aid of the moonlight coming in through a high window. With one last glance around, he lowered his gaze and began to read.

At first there was information he already knew such as the fact that the potion was complex, rarely administered and discovered by Valar Buckter in the late 1400's. As effective as blood adoption although it's more specific to bondage, so surely that would mean it was in a way stronger than blood adoption? It could only be used to bond a single parent to an orphaned or otherwise parent-less child. Only one child for that adult via that method.

Harry frowned as he continued to read. It was clear that this potion wasn't alike a blood adoption at all, in fact it was as though the adult had been the child's parent from the very beginning.

The part that caught his attention was the single line “For this potion to work correctly, a pre-existing bond much be in place between the intended pair”. Harry wasn't sure what to think of that, but still he pondered on it longer before allowing himself to keep reading but it just went into the specifics and other things Harry wasn't really absorbing. Instead he replaces the book and researches the incident in which Valar Buckter discovered the potion.

Within minutes he had come across it but was further anxious since Filch had not yet found him, as it would seem and the library was still abnormally quiet.

Harry was expecting some great story of discovery or experiments but instead came across a tale of a lonely man who had found a young child out in the snow and tried to care for him. The child was sick and emotionally devastated from the loss of his mother who had been killed by a dark wizard two weeks previous and his father had died when he was a child. But Valar knew none of this and merely tried to help the child mostly out of loneliness and guilt for not being able to save his toddler daughter five years ago.

Harry continued to read about their developing bond and how a distant friend of a now-dead relative wanted to take the boy from him and he fell into a desperate obsession to make them think the boy was his own son to protect him. He eventually produced the Parental Bonding Potion and success followed, yadda yadda.

Harry was furthermore confused as to why of all potions, this was the one Snape wanted to one day administer. Of course maybe it was because of the fact that the ministry etc did no need to be involved, or were there other reasons? Was Snape like Valar? Did he want to save him from being taken away or to achieve a child he so badly wants because he had missed out before? It was confusing and certainly not clearing up any befuddlement in Harry's mind upon the situation, recent or otherwise.

Glancing around at the suspiciously quiet library, Harry replaced the book and gathered his cloak. His new father often referred to it as “Gryffindor tendencies” but Harry was beyond caring about getting into trouble or if it was the right thing to do. He wanted answers and he was going to get them.

---

He was halfway down to the dungeons when he started having second thoughts. But Harry was left no time to ponder as he felt the change in temperature and how everything darkened, plus there were voices ahead. He noticed Snape's voice right away and feared discovery but when he stepped closer he realized his father was talking to someone else.

"I am certain Albus will find a way" Snape crossed his arms and sighed. "I personally detest the entire idea...it is premature and has the potential to ruin all progress up until this point."

"Perhaps" Synthia nodded while wiping a cloth over a silver object she had brought with her to keep her hands busy. "Severus, would I be wrong in frowning upon the fact that you have discussed this with Albus and myself and yet not the boy?"

"I hardly consider anything involving Albus to be a discussion" Snape narrowed his eyes.

"And the boy?" She pressed while Harry tried to inch closer but lost his balance enough to cause a small sound. Wincing and attempting to turn away before breaking into a run, Harry was not too surprised when Snape appeared and glared down at him.

"Eavesdropping are we, Potter?" He scowled.

"I..." Harry swallowed and remembered why he was there. "I wanted to talk to you."

"And instead of calmly announcing your presence, you felt it would be more prudent and satisfying to eavesdrop?" Snape crossed his arms.

"Okay, I shall be going now" Synthia sighed as she approached the boys, giving Harry an extra look of curiosity. "Play nicely" She added with a small tease and walked away.

Harry wondered who that woman was, but had little time to consider the possibilities when Snape's shadow loomed over him and he glanced up to wince. He exhaled and reminded himself why he was there and gathered as much courage as he could.

"Come" Snape said and turned, leading Harry into his office and shut the door firmly. "Speak."

"Huh?" Harry glanced at him in surprise.

"You stated that you wished to talk with me" Snape said in obvious agitated. "Speak."

"Oh um, I..." Harry stuttered, now not sure how to word his issue and felt rather embarrassed to be there in Snape's office now that his anger had ebbed away.

Sighing, Snape sat in his chair and waited for the boy to gather himself. He had to remember that things were different now and that he couldn't vent his frustration towards Dumbledore upon his...son.

Those few minutes of silence was apparently all Harry needed. "Sir, I...I was just wondering why, I mean if something..." Harry ducked his head and inhaled nervously, deciding to just get it out.

"I'm sorry for intruding" He mumbled but Snape heard him clearly while trying to decipher what the boy was babbling about. "I thought things were different and I got my hopes up, that's why the wards failed" Harry said.

"What are you muttering about, Potter?" Snape frowned when he couldn't form an understanding as to what the boy was trying to say.

Harry glanced up for a second but found he was still unable to look at the man in the eye, especially with the scowl that was on his face as he stared at him from behind his desk.

"I shouldn't have got my hopes up so soon, I mean just because there was Christmas and the possibility of the...well, I'm not out in the snow and so we can take time and..." He winced inwardly, knowing he wasn't making any sense at all.

"In the snow?" Snape repeated, wondering how that sounded familiar in comparison to what Harry was saying. "Harry" He sighed again and looked at the blushing boy. "I expect you to look at me whilst I am speaking."

"I can't" Harry mumbled but looked up anyway, not liking the tone the man was using.

"You wished to discuss something of importance with me" Snape said slowly. "Than sit. Think for a moment and than form a coherent sentence in which I can actually formulate a discussion from" He said, showing surprising patience and tolerance, although he could see this meant something to the boy and with the mentioning of the wards, he had to find out what was going on.

But even after Harry sat across from him and thought, the silence remained and Snape realized they would be there all night if he did not assist the situation.

"First, I wish you to explain what you were implying with the snow" Snape said, picking something random and easy enough to start with.

"I was just...reading" Harry shrugged and seemed somewhat relaxed to talk about that although wondered if Snape would figure out that he had done something wrong to achieve such reading.

"I was curious!" He insisted as though he was in trouble regardless. "Just, Valar...the guy that invented that potion, he found a kid in the snow who was sick and he was feeling guilty about losing his daughter and so he took the boy in cared for him. He didn't want to lose him and tried to make everyone think that the boy was his own son so he could...keep him safe and...well that's how to invented the potion" He blushed, feeling a bit like Hermione.

"I was just...comparing" He added.

Snape raised his eyebrows in surprise. He honestly hadn't expected Harry to research the potion in which would bond them as father and son in 90% aspect of the word. He considered the phrase in which Harry had used the comparison and than things made more sense.

I shouldn't have got my hopes up so soon, I mean just because there was Christmas and the possibility of the...well, I'm not out in the snow and so we can take time and...”

"Harry, it is my understanding that you are not well informed to the situation" Snape said and Harry looked over in surprise. "But before we discuss that matter, I wish to know what you were implying about the wards."

"Oh um, just that you wanted me back with the Dursleys..." Harry admitted before allowing himself time to ponder. "I just thought, you know? You'd understand" He shrugged.

"I despise the very idea of you returning to the household" Snape frowned. "I am well aware of the fact that they mistreated you there. My statement earlier was merely in curiosity towards your safety."

"Oh" Harry was surprised by that and felt further embarrassed.

Snape stared at the boy for a moment as Harry blushed and stared at his hands that were resting on his lap. He thought about what the boy had said and the assumptions he had obviously been misguided to believe based on a simple, misinterpreted reaction. He had thought that he didn't want him as much or that he still preferred him to stay with the Dursleys than with him. Perhaps once-upon-a-previous-time that may have been true.

"Harry" Snape said in a softer tone, causing the boy to look up although he appeared reluctant about it. "I wish to make myself clear. Regardless of our previous history or events that occurred prior to your absurd and inconvenient request, I feel that I must reassure you that I do not regret nor do I wish otherwise of our situation" Snape said, frowning as he tried to work out how to word what he was saying.

"You are my...son, just as I am your father" Snape continued. "Perhaps not yet by blood, but when the time is right - and only when the time is right - that shall also be placed into effect. The potion is yet to be administered not because I want you any less but merely because I am taking your well-being into consideration and wish to delay the process until I am certain that we are both entirely prepared for such an incident."

Harry stared at him in surprise but a small smile was tugging at his lips, causing Snape to exhale and finish what he was trying to say.

"I shall deny any doubt you have upon our situation" Snape said. "You are my son now, however extremely we have established that fact. I care only for your safety, education and...contentment" He said stiffly.

"You...care about me?" Harry asked softly.

"However you wish to phrase it" Snape nodded. "Yes."

Harry ducked his head again and hid his smile as well as small tears to hearing that someone actually cared about him.

"Thanks" He managed to mumble.

"Indeed" Snape answered. "Now I believe I will be forced to cost Gryffindor further house points if you do not make your way to your dormitory seeing as it is well after curfew" He said and stood.

Harry looked up in surprise, accidentally exposing his tearful eyes as he had not realized how late it had become.

"Right, I'll go...thanks...sorry" He said quickly and turned to leave.

"Harry" Snape's voice made his pause and the man approached him slowly, as though he was waiting for something.

"Sir?" Harry glanced up.

"Sleep well" Snape said and clenched his teeth as he reached to the boy and pulled him in for a quick hug, in which resulted in the smaller arms being wrapped around him while the boy buried his head against his robes.

"You too" Harry said and pulled away but once again paused at the doorway. "I really care about you too...just so you know. I'm glad I asked you and that you accepted. Thanks."

And with that that the boy was gone.

Snape frowned and returned to his desk, sitting down as he felt strange, as though he'd swallowed an incomplete potion that now bubbled inside of him. He couldn't figure it out, but that odd feeling the boy had left him with didn't hurt or feel cold, but rather it had the complete opposite effect on him. When had he last felt that feeling? It had been so very long ago...ah, of course. Lily.

To be continued...
End Notes:
This chapter and I did not get along, which is part of the reason why it took so long to get it up. I'm still not entirely satisfied with it so please, all feedback will be very much apreciated. I really want to know your thoughts on this one, more than usual of course! Also, any theories on who Synthia is? Please review.
-Mel :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1927