Just a father by watercrystals
Summary: It was the start of his second year when Harry couldn't force his realization away any longer. He needed a father, even if it was a bad, uninterested father...he still needed one. So what motivated him to ask Severus Snape?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 2nd Year
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: No Word count: 64120 Read: 130493 Published: 05 Sep 2009 Updated: 03 Dec 2010
Resolution of Continuous Doubts by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
I was in a little hurry to get this chapter up, please ignore the errors I may have missed occasionally. I hope to read it over and correct them when I find the time.

Harry slept well that night although he had a strange dream about being lost in the snow and not being able to find his way back to Hogwarts. He awoke the following morning and made his way down to breakfast with his friends. Everything seemed to be going normally and without much change in mood until later that afternoon when Hermione had left for the Library and Ron decided to challenge Dean into a chess match. Harry could have joined either of them but instead went upstairs to the dormitory and flipped through the photo album Hagrid had given him at the end of his last year. He sat there and wondered if his parents would be disappointed or pleased with his decision to seek out a new father or if James Potter would feel betrayed. He refused to think further on that and just continued to stare at the moving pictures while trying to force his mind to not think of anything at all. But of course, that was nearly impossible; one couldn't just stop thinking.

Harry recalled how wonderful his Christmas was and how in a relatively short time he and Snape had gone from enemies to family. And the man had even wanted to adoption him as his real, official son. He had mentioned something about waiting until the moment was right and even though he'd had his concerned settled and questions answered the previous night, Harry somehow still managed to come up with new ones. When was the right moment? Would he really never have to return to the Dursleys? What happens if Snape decides that he doesn't want him anymore? If he really becomes his son, will he look any different?

Harry scowled at his mind and shut the book with a sigh. He leaned back on his bed, still dressed in his school uniform although his tie was undone and his shirt untucked. He stared upwards and considered how lucky he felt to have Snape now, even though last year he would have marked himself as insane for such thoughts. Although Snape hadn't been too nice to him last year and Harry wondered if the reasons for it still lingered even though he didn't seem to hate him as much anymore.

He sat upright with a frown set on his face and pondered that line of curiosity. Perhaps things were not quite perfect just yet, maybe there was still something to be improved? If the moment wasn't right then Snape might be having doubts on their family status in the long run? Maybe he wanted to make sure that Harry was the son he really wanted since being a father is a big thing.

Harry wondered what made a good son. And factoring in the fact that Snape was a teacher as well...so perhaps if he was really good with his classes (or maybe just Potions), well-behaved (as though that was actually possible for him) and was more alike Snape? Suddenly the image of himself with long, black and greasy hair as well as all-black clothing formed into Harry's mind and made him shudder. Well not exactly like Snape, but some more similarities?

He had made up his mind. Jumping off the bed, Harry scurried to gather some things and left the dormitory.

'Where you going, mate?' Ron asked him curiously.

'Library' Harry barely threw over his shoulder as he disappeared out of the common room and down the stairs. In a few rushed minutes and while gasping for breath, Harry arrived at the library and looked around for his friend.

'Harry!' Hermione said in surprise. 'What are you doing here?' She spotted the books in his arms. 'Are you...studying?'

'Yeah' Harry nodded. 'I want to do really good in some classes because...well I dunno, can't hurt' He shrugged.

'Oh this is great!' Hermione grinned. 'Do you need any help?'

'Um, not sure yet' He placed his things across from where she had been sitting and sorted through his work. Although maybe if Snape noticed that he no longer needed their study sessions he'll be proud that he's not so much of a burden to his time? Although Harry had grown rather fond of those session and wondered if there was any other time eh could see his new father. But he'll dwell on that later.

'You're already good at potions' Hermione observed. 'Maybe you should focus on History of Magic first?'

Harry frowned at her but sighed and grabbed the book. 'Sure, but I really want to read my potions textbook'.

'Well then read it before bed, like I do' Hermione offered and he thought that sounded like a reasonable idea since he had a little trouble sleeping sometimes anyway.

--

And so the two friends worked in mostly silence (unless Harry had to ask her help for a few things or got frustrated and how confusing a section was), until it was time to pack up and head down to dinner. They left their things in their separate dormitories and searched for Ron to head to the Great Hall.

'Slow down, Harry!' Hermione said as he shoveled more food into his mouth.

'Can't-got to...read' He said between chews and some girls pulled faces at his manners while a few boys sniggered. Harry finally finished and stood in relief, eager to head back to the common room to read. He glanced over at the staff table and searched for Snape and spotted him staring back at him with a raised eyebrow, no doubt suspicious in his hurry to leave dinner early.

Harry turned and left the Great Hall without another moment to spare and startled the fat lady when he called out the password between breaths. After he had showed and changed, Harry sat on his bed and pulled out his potions textbook to start reading. After ten minutes his motivation ebbed away and his interested faded. He didn't understand how Hermione could read all of her textbooks during her holidays and still be bothered to do so again until she had them memorized. But his determination remained strong and he forced himself to keep reading and not just gaze over the words but actually pay attention.


Several days passed by and still Harry read every night although he often fell asleep and would be a bit drowsy the following day. He had two sessions with Snape but didn't reveal anything and continued to act as though nothing had changed because he wanted to surprise the man with his marks instead.

He is to attend one of those sessions in an hour and was a bit concerned since he had no work to do and was sure everything was satisfactory to hand in. He had acquired two more books in which he borrowed from the library and had spent his time reading that after he had completed the basic textbook. Those books were much more interesting; the first detailed magical plants as well as their properties in potions and where they can be found, the second was on the effects of mixing certain ingredients together including the dangers and common accidents that turned into brilliant discoveries.

Harry collected his bag and made his way towards the dungeons, hoping he wasn't going to be in trouble for wasting the man's time when he had no work to do and was expecting to be sent back to the common room once Snape found out.

He knocked on the door and wanted to be let inside.

'You are early, Mr Potter' Snape said when Harry stepped inside following his request. Harry looked surprised and glanced at his watch to see that he was indeed ten minutes early.

'I guess I am' He shrugged and wasn't sure what else he could say.

'Very well' Snape nodded, not revealing the fact that he liked Harry being on time or that he was also suspicious involving the actions. 'Which subjects will we be covering tonight?' He sighed.

'Um, sir?' Harry ducked his head and blushed slightly. 'I ah, I don't really have any work to do'.

'Then you shall have no objections to my checking of such fact?' Snape raised an eyebrow.

Harry nodded and reached for his bag in which he had set on the desk but it slipped from his grasp and fell to the floor, spilling some of the contents.

'Sorry' He quickly bent to retrieve his things and first extracted his completed work to show the man before he worried about the other items.

'Here' He handed his work to the man but Snape was staring at the floor. Harry turned to see what he was so interested in and spotted his library books. 'Oh!' He dashed to shoved them back inside his bag along with his quills and textbooks but it was too late; Snape had seen them, without a doubt.

'As curious as I am to your obvious and yet newfound interest upon my subject, I must ask why you thought it prudent to conceal it from me?' Snape asked and wondered why Harry had tried to hide the books. Surely he wasn't thinking he'd be angered that the boy was so interested in potions or topics related to it? Not only was Snape good at Potions (obviously, being Potions Master), but it was one of Lily's best subjects as well.

'I didn't want you to know yet' Harry frowned at having been caught. 'Nevermind, but I'm finished, see?' He nodded towards the work in Snape's hands.

'Yes, clearly' Snape flipped through the work and hadn't expected to find that the work had certainly improved. 'Did you bribe Miss Granger to gather her assistance?' He asked suspiciously.

'Sir?' Harry asked in confusion.

'You improvement in your classes has been noticeable by not only myself but your other professors as well, Harry. However I do not believe that you could improve this vastly in such a short period of time. Unless something has changed?' He stared at the boy again.

Harry nodded and hid his smile when the man said his name; it always felt nice to not be referred to as “Mr Potter” all the time, especially by his new father. Although he always wondered if the adoption would cause that name to cease. Would he be Mr Snape then? He didn't quite like that idea.

'Harry?'

'Oh, um...yes sir' Harry quickly glanced up. 'Something did change, I mean I've just been spending more time in the library, that's all'

'And what inspired this?' Snape asked. 'Developing a little crush on Miss Granger, perhaps?'

'What?' Harry turned red and stared at his shoes. 'No, that's not it!' He insisted and Snape concealed his smirk of amusement to the boy's obvious discomfort. 'I just wanted to...I...does it really matter?' He then scowled. 'I'm studying more, so what?' He exhaled and calmed himself. 'What happens now? I mean, if I don't have work to do then this session is rather pointless, isn't it?'

'For studying, yes' Snape nodded and handed the work back to Harry. 'However, there are other way to occupy the time and remain with our agreement'.

'Sir?' Harry asked, surprised that the man wasn't just kicking him out for the night.

'Perhaps you could use this time to read more material for your classes?' Snape suggested. 'I see you have already done so with Potions, but what of the others?'

'I tried' Harry admitted as though it was something to be ashamed of. 'But they got boring after a while, well not the stuff on defenses used against dark arts and magical creatures, but really...potions is more interesting, not just because you teach it, although that's why I started reading, but I mean...' He sighed and tried to straighten out what he was trying to say. 'What I mean is, certain spells have to be done with a particular movement and phrase. If you do it wrong then the result is rather predictable. But with potions, it can change so quickly just because it's not hot enough or you put something in the wrong order. And there are so many things that can mix together fine until one extra makes the whole thing explode! I understand sir, why you like potions so much' He blushed again, feeling he was sounding too excited when really it wasn't something he had previously been so interested in.

Snape didn't say anything so Harry risked glancing up and was surprised to see the semi-stunned expression on the man's face. In any other situation it would have been quite hilarious.

'Sir?' He prompted.

Snape sighed and turned away from Harry. He wandered over to his desk and sat heavily in the chair there. 'Harry, I knew when I accepted to be your...father, that you would give me grief. It would be difficult for you not to, given who your biological father is and the fact that you're a Gryffindor' He shook his head while Harry watched in concern. 'But never did I imagine that you would actually deliver a piece of news or form a habit in which...'

'Are you angry with me?' Harry asked worriedly although he couldn't figure out what he had done if that was the case.

'Far from it' Snape glanced over. 'I am...proud. Although I fear your interest is misplaced'

'Misplaced?' Harry repeated. 'W-what do you mean?'

'You indicated that you first attempted to read material related to potions simply because it is the subject in which I teach. I don't deny that your skills certainly could be improved and this is not necessarily a terrible decision, however I also gain the incline that you are merely seeking a certain result other than unexpected fascination' Snape noticed the slightly guilty expression on the boy's face. 'Perhaps you wished to impress me?' He risked asking what he thought the boy was trying to do.

'I...' Harry sighed and nodded while he stared at the floor. 'I wanted to be a good son' He admitted, sad that he had been caught and apparently failed in the goal he set out to achieve.

'I thought if I was better then you'd be proud to have me as your son' Harry shrugged. 'Then you wouldn't...it won't be the wrong moment because you won't doubt and...' He frowned as he bit his lip. 'I just wanted to be someone you'd be proud of. But I really started to like the reading on potions, honest!' He glanced up but was surprised that Snape had left his desk and approached. He blushed and looked at the floor again until Snape's shoes came into view.

'Harry, I-' Snape frowned. 'Look at me when I speak to you'.

Harry did so reluctantly as he tried to get a grip on his emotions but he felt like a failure, again. As though Snape now thought he was just trying to get attention like he always accused him of being and maybe he'd realize that he couldn't be proud of him as a son at all.

Snape noticed the concern and annoyance in the boy's gaze but kept his face blank even though he wondered why he bothered to. Would it really hurt so terribly if he revealed something to the boy and how much he cared for him? Harry was bearing his soul and he stood there, looking down at him as though...it wasn't enough. Was Harry trying to impress him because he thought what he did wasn't enough? Silly child; although it wasn't entirely the boy's fault.

'Harry' Snape lifted the boy's chin higher as he went to look away again. 'You needn't worry yourself with such things. Yes, I prefer my son to be excelling in his classes, but every parent wishes for that. Do you think your parents would stop loving you if you received an “Acceptable” instead of an “Outstanding”? No. Nor would I' Snape released the boy's chin. 'As far as our agreement is concerned, you are my son now' He reminded the boy, yet again of this fact. 'I may have been blinded previously but I now know that you are a kind person who is loyal to his friends and tries hard to gain good marks. You may be a righteous, trouble-magnet Gryffindor, but that does not make me less less proud of you if you had been in Slytherin, or if you were the top student in your year' He frowned. 'Do no dwell upon things that have no purpose other than to create stress and doubt'.

'I can't help it' Harry sighed although he felt rather content with hearing the man's reassurances.

'I fear that this is becoming a common occurrence' Snape crossed his arms. 'How many more nights will we be standing here and once again be settling petty little concerns that have been thought out of proportion? What must I do to make you see sense?'

Harry ducked his head again and blushed. 'I never had a father that I knew of before, sir. I'm sorry...I just...' He struggled for words.

'Harry, look at me' Snape said again and the boy obeyed with a light frown and deeper blush.

'I am merely curious as to why you constantly doubt our agreement even when I assure you that it is foolish to do so?' He asked. 'Allow me to assist in clearing this matter by telling me what it is I must do to achieve it?'

'It's not you, sir' Harry said. 'Really, you're great...I just...I don't know!' He got frustrated now. 'I can't help thinking that it won't last and that you're going to one day realize you made a mistake. There, I said it!' He averted his gaze although he didn't dare lower his head again as he would only be told to look at him each time he speaks.

Snape ran a hand over his face and exhaled. 'Perhaps I was mistaken' He said and Harry stared at him in alarm as though the man was agreeing to his worst fears.

'Perhaps it is not too soon' Snape looked at Harry and placed his hands on each of the boy's shoulders. 'Would you feel less insecure if we were to apply the potion? Would you finally see that I indeed think of you as my son and want you to be my son if it was official?'

'You mean...if you adopt me?' Harry stared at him with side eyes.

'Would it help?' Snape asked, his tone softer than usual although still not quite gentle.

'I...I don't know' Harry admitted. 'You don't have to. I'll stop asking stupid questions. Sorry'

'You are suffering inside, Harry' Snape said. 'I can see that this arrangement has thrown your life out of proportion just as it has mine' He admitted bravely. 'We have each had to face new judgments of the other and form this newfound relationship as father and son. It changes our view on other aspects and perhaps it has become too much to simply partake in an agreement with all aspects apart from the official formality. Your blood wards have failed, that is a separate matter, however important it may also be. You are confused and unsure, which is understandable' He nodded. 'Perhaps the blood link included will assist in clearly further confusion and uncertainties' Snape said. 'You are my son and I do not wish for you to doubt that fact any further'.

Harry swallowed and felt a wave of emotion hit him once again. He was lost for words as tears welled in his eyes and he allowed himself to accept the truth that this man wanted him as family in a way that the Dursley's never had and the Weasley's never could.

Snape felt he had humiliated himself enough with such truths but still wanted to spare Harry so he reached with one hand and placed it behind the back of Harry's head to pull him into an embrace. He felt the boy sobbing against him and prayed that it was only relief, shock and acceptance that Harry felt.

'I care for you as a father should their son' Snape said, finding it easier to admit when he wasn't looking right at the child. He also frowned because what he felt for Harry he was sure Tobias Snape had never felt for his own son.

'I love you too, dad' Harry said through sobs.

Snape had to smile at that, not just because of what Harry had said or how wonderful it now felt to be called “dad” with such a honest tone, but also because of how Harry understood his way of speech. Harry had interpreted his words as “I love you, Harry” even though Snape hadn't dared to voice it in such a way. The boy was insecure where it didn't matter but he certainly picked up on the more significant things.

Harry rubbed his eyes and glanced up at Snape. 'I would...I would really like to take that potion. If it's, I mean if it's okay with you. I don't mind waiting, really...it's a bit thing'.

'Hush' Snape brushed a hand over the boy's head. 'I will discuss the matter with the headmaster and perhaps we can begin a scheduled arrangement. I only delayed the potion because I our overall interests in mind, however I see now that the situation is rather the opposite than what I originally thought'.

Harry only smiled and hugged his father again. 'Whenever you're ready, I'm ready' He said. 'It's weird how you're already like a father to me and I...I would really like to be your son'.

'I know' Snape nodded. 'But no more doubts, do you understand?'

'Yes, sir' Harry said and pulled away. 'I'm sorry for bothering you again'

'You are a hassle and often annoying, but you are no bother nor burden to me, Harry' Snape said. 'I deal with an entire house of Slytherins, I am certain that one Gryffindor shall not give me much grief' He smiled slightly.

'I suppose you're right' Harry grinned. 'So um...' He glanced at his books. 'I guess I'll just sit and read for a while? If you don't mind? Or I could just go back to my common room'

'You may stay' Snape nodded and turned to sit at his desk where a stack of work to be marked appeared. 'But I do not want you to feel pressured to be better simply because you wish to please me, Harry'.

'Yes...dad' Harry said and blushed as he said the last word and buried his nose into his book to read. As he picked up where he'd left off on the eighth chapter involving a particularly mistaken witch who unwittingly grew poisonous herbs, Harry missed the smile that spread across his potion master's face upon hearing his last words. The room became silent apart from pages being turned and a quill marking notes, but it was comfortable and the worries had been lifted. For now, at least.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review! What does everyone think of them applying the potion soon or do you think they should still wait a little longer? Is there anything else you'd like to see before/after such event? All feedback and comments are welcome!
-Mel :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1927