More Than Meets the Eye by Baghi
Summary: Harry comes to school missing one eye, and pratically mute. He is sorted into Slytherin. Severus Snape dislikes all things Potter. Can he get over his hatred to see the truth?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Physical Impairment, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Prompts: More Than Meets the Eye
Challenges: More Than Meets the Eye
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 33310 Read: 192613 Published: 11 Sep 2009 Updated: 29 May 2010
Lecture and Quidditch by Baghi
Author's Notes:
I'm getting far in these stories. Hope you like. Without further ado, on we go.

Last time:

Harry turned slowly, gulping as he looked upon the very angry face of his Head of House. He exchanged a look with Hermione. They were both thinking the same thing: we are in trouble. But at least they were safe, and the worse a teacher could do to them would be to expel them. Even Hermione realized, now, that it was a much better prospect then being dead. Harry, however, suspected he would likely be dead anyways if he was expelled. His Uncle would not be too happy to see him on his door step several months too early. One of the few bright sides to this awful episode was that his hiccups were finally gone, though Harry could once again not enjoy the fact, ironically.

Harry and Hermione trooped after Snape down to his dungeon office. He had apparently sent a message about where the troll was, so it was safe to leave it in the bathroom for now. Harry, observant as always, noticed more that the Professor was limping. And had that been a bite he had seen in that first unguarded moment when Snape had come in. It had looked like a dog bite, but what dog could be big enough to leave a bite that big? He was pulled out of his ruminations however by the office door opening.

Severus was fuming, but he would never show it. The two students had tried to explain about the troll, but all he had gotten out of that garbled message, was that Harry had run into danger instead of away from it. He swore that his heart couldn't take more stress that night. First the dog, then the foolish students who had scared him more then he cared to admit. Who would have thought that one Slytherin could have so much Gryffindor reckless bravery? And yet, the boy was a true Slytherin, that much had been clear earlier that year. But not enough when someone's life was in danger apparently.

The two children sat down when ordered, and looked at each other and about apprehensively. They weren't sure what was going to happen, but Harry was sure it wasn't going to be good. He couldn't help but notice that Hermione was more nervous then he was. She most likely had never been in as much trouble as she was now. But both reflected that waiting for the punishment to fall didn't really compare to the sheer terror they felt facing the troll. Even for children who hated that part of punishments the terror would be far greater. After all, what is more terrifying then nearly getting eaten? Especially when one didn't know if they were going to be cooked, or even killed before being eaten.

Severus let them squirm for a bit, knowing that the punishment itself could never be as bad as waiting for the punishment. He remembered that from his own childhood. He then decided to let them relax a bit and began to speak "Never, in my eleven years of teaching, have I come across two more foolish students. I can see the stupidity of not telling anyone where one was going from one of the other Gryffindors. Not from the girl who really ought to have been in Ravenclaw." Here he leveled a glare at Hermione, causing her to squirm with discomfort. He then continued "Never the less, her stupidity does not excuse you, Mr. Potter, for acting like a Gryffindor."

Hermione, unable to keep silent in the face of such an insult, said "But sir, if he hadn't acted recklessly, it might have been too late." Harry grimaced slightly, too late to warn her to keep her mouth shut. He knew better then anyone that saying such things was only likely to make an adult even angrier. But why did Harry sense disappointment as well as anger radiating from Snape? Surely the man didn't care what happened to him, even if it was his duty to protect students? This puzzled Harry, which would explain why he jumped when Snape's fists crashed into his desk.

Severus barely kept himself from quivering with rage, and his voice was tight with anger "Even so, that does not excuse him from not trying to contact an adult. Running straight into danger was foolish, more suited to a Lion then a Snake. What if Mr. Potter's magic hadn't kicked in to save him? What would have happened then? You both likely would have been killed, that's what!" He sat back down, letting the message sink in for a few minutes while he tried to get himself under control. Honestly, the girl thought like a Gryffindor, despite her incredible intelligence. As if recklessness was a trait to be desired in anyone, even a Gryffindor. When he'd gotten his rage under control, he continued speaking "Even so, I cannot fault Mr. Potter's wish to keep a fellow student safe. For noble actions, he shall not be expelled. But I will subtract five points from both houses, and you will both serve detention for a week with me."

Harry couldn't help breathing a silent sigh of relief. Detentions he could deal with, even the essay he was assigned to make him think of the consequences of acting rashly. He was still alive, and would remain alive for a good while longer he hoped. The two students walked together after being dismissed, though Hermione expressed her surprise to Harry that Snape wasn't going to escort them. Harry explained about the bite, likely the reason that Snape wasn't up to making sure they both got to their common rooms safely. Hermione looked surprised when Harry described the bite as being distinctly canine. She said "That would suggest he was in the third floor corridor. But why would he be there?"

"Indeed why, but how do you know that he could've been?" Harry asked quietly, surprised. Hermione told the story of her midnight experience with Ron and Neville, and their encountering the Cerberus on the third floor. Harry whistled softly, saying "And the dog was guarding a trap door? Hmmm...." Harry thought for a few minutes, before saying "The troll was a distraction. Whoever let in the troll was going after whatever the dog is guarding." Harry sighed, noticing that it was getting late, far past curfew. They separated, promising to meet again to discuss the dog. Harry went to bed, exhausted and feeling bruised despite not having been physically hurt. His mind kept playing over the information he had learned about the Cerberus. Little did he know that they would have far more to worry about then a three-headed dog that was guarding something unknown.

***

Detention went fairly fast for Hermione and Harry. The essays were finished first, and had obviously past inspection, for they were set to work scrubbing cauldrons and preparing potion ingredients. While the two worked well together for Detention, they couldn't agree upon who was in the Cerberus' chamber. Hermione thought it had to be Snape, else how could he have been bitten. Harry suggested that he had been the one to intercept the intruder, and had been distracted long enough to be bitten. They went on like that whenever they were under the protection of a noisy class. They just couldn't seem to agree, but if anything their argument strengthened their burgeoning friendship.

Meanwhile, Quidditch season was upon them. The first match had been Ravenclaw against Hufflepuff, which they couldn't see because of attending detention. The second match, between Slytherin and Gryffindor, they could see. For Harry it would be the first Quidditch game he had seen. Then disaster struck in the form of their Seeker getting mysteriously ill. Immediately the Lions were under suspicion from the Snake team, but that suspicion was soon put to rest. The curse that had made the Seeker ill couldn't have been performed by any student, even a seventh year. This did not change the fact that Harry would have to play in the upcoming game. The closer the day grew, the more nervous Harry felt.

If Harry was nervous, however, Severus was down right afraid for the boy, though he'd never admit it. The entire staff suspected that the Seeker had been taken out just for the reason to make the reserve have to play. This proved problematical, as Harry would have a difficult time seeing the Quaffle much less the illusive Snitch. Also was the fact that Harry might be in danger from one of the staff themselves. After all, why would someone take the trouble of causing a situation like this if they weren't going to take advantage of it. The suspicions that abounded in the staff room caused strife, though no one could be quite sure who was guilty. This kept on until the day of the match. Then they put aside all grief in an attempt to watch the game.

Harry, naturally, was having difficulty getting down any breakfast that Saturday morning. He thought he managed to eat half a bowl of porridge, some bacon and eggs, and his potion washed down with pumpkin juice. All too soon, however, he was in the locker room getting ready to go out on the field. The captain gave them a brief pep talk, then they all walked out to meet Hooch and the Gryffindor team on the field. She said "I want a nice clean game all. Mount your brooms." They all did, and watched her intensely as she opened the ball case. The two Bludgers and Snitch went flying, and the Quaffle went straight up. As it started to fall, Hooch blew her whistle and the game began.

Harry concentrated on his magic, letting it flow through him and into his eyes. As he initiated his 'sight', the field came alive with blues and reds. The players naturally were all red, but the Bludgers and Snitch had red around them as well because of the friction with the air. It was like this that he started searching for a smaller ball of red, while avoiding the bigger reds as best he could. But as the score was announced to be 50-40 in Gryffindor favor, Harry's broom went out of control. The bucking and weaving would have been bad enough on a practice session, but with a game in full throw Harry was at risk from both players and Bludgers. All of this had his heart throbbing in his throat, and it was all he could do to hold on much less search for the Snitch.

Severus barely controlled himself from jumping to his feet as the boy's broom went out of control. He recognized the curse, however, and knew that Harry wouldn't be able to hold on indefinitely. Not without help; thus he started chanting the counter curse. Though this seemed to do little, he kept his eyes on the child, never stopping his chanting less the force that was trying to pull the boy off his broom succeeded. He was so absorbed he didn't notice the fire on his robes, and only lost concentration when someone shouted he was on fire. As he attempted to put the fire out, he knocked into the teacher behind him. When the fire was finally out, he didn't look to see who he had bumped into, instead he looked at Harry. The boy was back on his broom, and was after the Snitch.

Harry noticed immediately when the broom was behaving again, and he got on it as soon as it did. Instead of indulging in the shakes he would have liked to, he began searching for the Snitch again. The game was still on, after all. He was in luck, as it was very close to him. He charged after it, chasing it with all the speed and control he could get out of the broom. He didn't notice that he was getting too close to the ground. He only realized it when he tripped just after his fingers brushed the little golden ball. But instead of getting away, the Snitch was forced into his mouth and nearly down his throat. Choking for a few seconds, he finally managed to spit it out right into his hands. Grasping it, he held it up for all to see. The Slytherins cheered, and his team surrounded him to congratulate him for his first win.

Severus clapped along with the rest of the teachers, barely noticing the burning pain in his leg from the relief he felt. He also felt his suspicions flare when he noticed it was Quirrel who was behind him. He would have to keep an eye on the Defense teacher. But tonight he would concentrate on tending to his wounds. Of course it wouldn't be so simple, as he realized when he was cornered in the castle by Minerva. They started bickering quietly, her insisting that he needed help in treating his leg, him insisting that he was fine on his own. But when she convinced him to allow her to at least see it, he realized that the wounds were far worse then he had thought. For when she touched them gently, his head swam from the pain that shot through his leg up his body. It didn't take much more bullying from her to get him to agree to her help, though it galled him to need it. Honestly, he was a grown man and should be able to take care of himself. When he said such to Minerva, she merely smiled and led him to her office.

The End.
End Notes:
Yeesh, this took longer then expected. I hope you enjoyed. I kept it as much to canon as I could while putting in how he was able to play. Did you like Minerva and Severus' little scene at the end? Please R&R and tell me how you liked the chapter. Next story to be updated will be Lunar Madness.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1935