Heart's Wish by myAkela
Summary: When Harry gets into a tight spot, he makes a suprising heartfelt wish. Little does he know, that one wish will throw him and his dreaded potions teacher into an unexpected and trying relationship.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Ron, Sirius, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 1st Year, 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 8955 Read: 21039 Published: 18 Sep 2009 Updated: 09 Feb 2010
Chapter 2 by myAkela
Author's Notes:
I have a few things to mention that I should have from the begining. This story will not follow the events that happen throughout the books or they may happen earlier, later, etc. Not sure where this story is going to take me yet. Also for the sake of the story, Lord Voldemort is a whole person (like he became in GoF).

Now in this chapter, Snape has a flashback. This is identified by italics with parenthesis. Italics indicate that person's thoughts. Hope it isn't too confusing!

Breakfast was a quiet affair the next morning. Harry hadn't touched one thing on his plate except to make roads through his scrambled eggs. He couldn't believe he was going to miss the first quidditch practice of the season. Why didn't he control his temper and keep his mouth shut?

Harry had lain awake for hours thinking of a way to tell Oliver Wood that he had detention and couldn't make practice.

Sighing loudly, Hermione said, "Harry you know you have to go to detention. You could be expelled if you don't!"

Harry and Ron simultaneously rolled their eyes at Hermione's exaggeration.

"I know that, Hermione," Harry said a bit peevishly. "I'm more worried about confronting Wood. What if he decides I'm not worth being on the team? What if he thinks I'll get detention every practice? What if he thinks I don't want to be on the team?"


Now it was Hermione's turn to roll her eyes.

"Stop playing the 'what if' game. Harry, just tell Oliver what happened. He'll understand about Professor Snape. I get the feeling it's not the first time he made a Gryffindor miss quidditch."

Harry chanced a look at the teacher's table to find stony black eyes staring intently at him.

Why did the ornery old bat have to stare at him constantly?

**************************************

Severus noticed Potter was looking at him from across the hall. Why did he find himself studying the boy more often than not?

The boy was certainly an imbecile in Potions. Severus didn't dare leave him and that despicable Longbottom stray from his sight for too long. He valued his possessions to stay intact, and his person as well for that matter.

‘He's sitting where Lily used to,' a small voice said as a memory floated to the front of Severus's mind.

("James cut it out!" Lily said in exasperation. "I had intended to eat that blueberry muffin.'"

"What? You don't think it looks more appetizing as a blue toad?", laughed James Potter.

Severus Snape watched the scene play out from his seat at the end of the Slytherin table.

‘Stupid Potter! Thinks he can do whatever he wants with no regards to the other person.'

He would have gladly given Lily his muffin but knew the ramifications would be harsh from Potter and his group of thugs.)

The memory of James made Snape despise the Potter brat even more. He hardened his eyes until the boy went back to pulverizing his eggs even more.

**************************************

Harry spotted Wood outside talking amongst friends under an oak tree.

Approaching apprehensively and voice shaking, Harry managed to get out, "Oliver? Can I talk to you? It's about practice."

"Sure Harry. Come over here a bit. Now what's on your mind?" Oliver led him far enough away that their conversation wouldn't be overheard.

"Well...you see...I sorta got detention with Snape tonight. I'm sorry Oliver! Please don't kick me off the team! I really, really want to play!", Harry's frantic voice rose a notch.

"Calm down, Harry. I'm a bit disappointed that you got in trouble without thinking about your obligation to practice. However, this isn't the first time Professor Snape has caused someone to miss practice due to detention. Or a game. I'll let it go today on the condition you spend a few hours on Saturday practicing with the snitch. Deal?"

Letting out his breath in a big whooosh, Harry was so relieved.

"Thanks Oliver! I'll practice tomorrow and Sunday!"

With that Harry ran back to the building to tell Ron and Hermione the good news.

**************************************

"Harry that's great!", exclaimed Ron.

"Told you he'd understand," replied Hermione.

Harry and Ron laughed at the fact Hermione was right once again.

"Let's go to Hagrid's for a little bit. I still have two hours before my doom in the dungeons," suggested Harry.

The trio made their way to the friendly half-giant's hut. Hagrid was always happy to see them.

"Oi! Harry! Ron! Hermione! Wut might you yungins be up to now, ey?"

So the three of them excitedly told Hagrid how their classes were going and what they thought about they're professors. Soon it was six thirty and starting to darken outside.

Just as Harry, Ron, and Hermione made a stand to leave, a loud crack! was heard by the edge of the Forbidden Forest. Hagrid was at the window and could just barely make out six black robed figures walking towards the hut. What got his attention, however, was the flash of silver Hagrid caught as the figures got closer .

"Death Eaters!", he whispered.

Four of the Death Eaters seemed to make their way towards the castle as if to surround it. The last two walked around the front of the hut.

They must not have seen the back door under all the ivy vines, Hagrid thought.

"Let's get to the Forest you three!", Hagrid said, casting a concealing charm on the students and himself. He was thankful he hadn't lit any candles yet.

Hagrid, Hermione, Ron, and Harry quietly went out the back door and ran as fast they were able to the Forbidden Forest.

Harry pumped his legs, willing them to go faster despite the burning in his lungs. He suddenly came upon a fallen log too quickly to stop.

"Oomph!", he muffled a cry as he pushed himself off the ground. It was at that precise moment, Harry sickengly realized, he was alone. Not only alone, but lost.

Not knowing what else to do, Harry dived under a thicket of brush nearby and scooted himself back into a makeshift tunnel. He did not want to think about whose home he had just temporarily taken over.

**************************************

Severus Snape was furious! How dare that arrogant little fool defy him? He should have known Potter would go to quidditch practice instead. May Godric Gryffindor save you himself, Potter, when I find you!

"Hope you'll like writing your one thousand lines with fins during all of your next five detentions, Potter!", Severus spat out loud as he made his way to the fireplace.

He intended to floo to Professor McGonagall's office, when green flames shot out. Minerva herself walked out looking white as the ghosts who roamed the corridors.

"Severus, there are Death Eaters on school grounds! The Order has been called!", she said, ernestly adding "Hagrid, Ms. Granger, and Mr. Weasley burst into the castle minutes ago, coming from the Forbidden Forest. They're the ones who alerted us to the six Death Eaters!"

"Where's Potter?", Severus asked, already dreading the answer. And how did Death Eaters manage to get on school grounds? And why were there only six?

"He's still inside the forest!", cried Professor McGonagall

Pulling his wand out, Severus ordered in a firm voice, "Go! The Order can handle this!"

Severus had already disappeared from the room before Minerva had time to ask what he planned to do.

**************************************

Harry was shaking partly from cold but mostly from fright. He tried and failed several times to calm his harsh breathing and rapid heartbeat. Somewhere not too far away, a twig snapped. Harry swiveled his head sharply to the left. Through the thicket he could just make out a pair of black clad legs.

"I know you can hear me Potter. Come out and play! The Dark Lord will be most pleased by your company!", a gravelly, not quite human laugh echoed through the forest.

Harry started shaking uncontrollably. Please! Let someone come who can save me! Please! Anyone! Harry chanted silently over and over.

"Send someone who needs me as much as I need them!", he whispered out loud.

Where did that plea come from?

Before Harry had time to dwell on it, a line of thin, dark blue mist wound it's way out of the underbrush.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you for reading another chapter!
Here's something to mull over: If Hagrid were a dog what breed would he be?

A Newfoundland always comes to my mind :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1941