Heart's Wish by myAkela
Summary: When Harry gets into a tight spot, he makes a suprising heartfelt wish. Little does he know, that one wish will throw him and his dreaded potions teacher into an unexpected and trying relationship.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Ron, Sirius, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 1st Year, 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 8955 Read: 21039 Published: 18 Sep 2009 Updated: 09 Feb 2010
Chapter 3 by myAkela

Severus weaved his way through the Forbidden Forest without so much as crunching a fallen leaf. Stealth was one of his fortés. He mastered the art as a young child when his father would come home after work. Something always went wrong at work and Severus was the recipient of his father's anger.

A loud, hoarse laugh alerted Severus to the location of the Death Eater he had been tracking. The laugh sounded a little bit odd, too, but Severus couldn't put his finger on why, exactly. Turning to his right, Severus started walking, then suddenly stopped. A line of dark blue seemed to be headed toward him. Severus raised his wand - not sure what kind of charm, or curse, seemed to be intended for him. The line stopped in front of Severus' boots. On a closer look, the line appeared to be mist.

With more important issues on his mind, Severus disregarded the mist and continued walking. Soon enough he could see an outline of a figure standing close to a thicket of underbrush. The professor cautiously walked a few more feet before concealing himself behind a great maple tree before the robed figure spotted him. What he noticed next, however, became his biggest concern. The underbrush seemed to be the source of the dark blue mist. Looking down, Severus noticed the mist was once again in front of him. He looked up to see the figure walk in front of the underbrush and kick a small branch in frustration through the line of mist. Severus held his breath. The robed figure turned and started walking further into the forest.

The Death Eater didn't see the mist! Severus let out his breath. It was time to deal with the retreating figure.

"You made a grave mistake in coming here Death Eater," Severus said loudly as he stepped out from behind the tree.

The figure turned around in a dramatic swirl of his robes. "Flipendo!"

Severus was faster than his opponent, however, and blocked the oncoming spell. "Stupefy!"

White sparks flew at the Death Eater. Once hit, the Death Eater vanished in a burst of dust falling to the ground. Severus stood shocked. What was that thing?

Rustling behind him didn't give Severus the time to dwell on what happened. The Death Eater, or whatever it was, was gone. Severus looked down with a knowing feeling. The trail of mist once again remained in front of his boots and led behind him.

**************************************

Harry fought his way out from underneath the tangle of vines and branches. He had just barely seen Snape beat the Death Eater but knew it was safe to come out. Now Harry could see where the line of mist led.

As the professor came closer to him, the line of mist got smaller. It disappeared completely once Snape was standing directly in front of Harry.

 

"A surprise to meet you here Potter," Snape said sarcastically.

"Thank you for saving me, professor." Harry thought it better to ask Professor Dumbledore about the blue mist instead of Snape.

"Shall we get back to the school? Or would you rather finish your tour of the Forbidden Forest?" The professor's voice dripped with ire.

Snape was clearly not in one of his better moods. Assuming he had ‘better moods' that is.

"To school, sir," Harry replied, hoping the professor forgot about his detention he was supposed to be serving tonight.

**************************************

Once Harry and Professor Snape were inside the Headmaster's office, Harry wasted no time in telling him about the mist.

"It was so cool! All I asked for was someone who could save me," he exclaimed once Dumbledore asked what how he conjured the mist.

"Harry are you sure that is all you wished for?" replied the Headmaster.

Harry thought for a moment, "Well...no...that wasn't all."

Dumbledore waited for the child to continue but a slight flush creeped up Harry's face when he looked at Professor Snape.

"Would you like to whisper the rest to me, child?" Dumbledore asked with a warm smile.

Harry nodded and walked over to the headmaster.

"I did ask for someone to come that needed me as much as I needed them. I don't know what made me say that. Must've been 'cause I was so scared."

Dumbledore smiled again, "Yes you certainly had reason to be scared. You must be quite tired with all the excitement."

A wink at Professor McGonagall prompted her to guide Harry out of the office and toward the Gryffindor common room.

Once the two left, Severus spoke, "Headmaster, that was not a real Death Eater I dueled with was it?"

"No, Severus it wasn't. They are called Evaporati. Death Eaters recently invented them to carry out orders without risk of being hurt themselves."

Severus waited for the Headmaster to explain what an Evaporatus is.

"An Evaporatus is not real in a sense. At least they are not human. More like a real imagined human."

I should be used to being talked to in riddles by now. Severus thought.

"If these Evaporati are not real, then what purpose do they serve?"

"They themselves are unable to physically touch someone. These Evaporati take on the personality of the Death Eater who created it, even saying and using spells that the creator would have. Although they are unable to cast unforgivable curses, do not underestimate them. An Evaporatus can still do harm. One advantage is that it's destroyed once hit with any spell."

"Then why was there not a bigger attack tonight?" Severus asked.

"Sounds like the Death Eaters are doing a trial run, per se, with their new creations. I have been perfecting a magical barrier that would prevent an Evaporatus from coming onto school grounds."

Having his question answered, Severus made to leave.

"Severus, there is something I would like to discuss with you, if you don't mind."

"Certainly, Headmaster."

"This dark blue mist Harry described-"

"Yes Headmaster, I don't know what the boy did but it disappeared and does not concern me any longer."

"On the contrary, Severus."

Severus quirked an eyebrow.

"Harry performed a Heart's Wish."

"Heart's Wish?" Severus asked skeptically.

"It is a spell that was accidentally created hundreds of years ago by a peculiar old wizard fascinated with ancient ruins. His name was Wimbledon Wayoff. This spell is one that can only be cast when something or someone is truly needed from someone and comes from that person's heart. A line of mist directs the spell caster to what it is he or she asked for."

Dumbledore continued, "The color of the mist depends on the wisher's aura. I will talk with Professor Trelawney about Harry's aura color since the mist was a dark blue."

Snape narrowed his eyes. "Headmaster, am I mistaken to assume that Potter made a heartfelt wish for me?"

"No Severus, I'm afraid you are not mistaken. Harry asked for someone who needed him as much as he did that person. According to his heart, that person is you."

That damn brat!

The Headmaster continued, "You are bound by this spell Severus, to help Harry. Once his wish has been fulfilled only then will the spell be undone."

"Fulfill what wish? The Golden Boy himself doesn't even know what he wished for! Can't the spell be countered?" Severus asked angrily, trying to keep a restraint on his temper.

"I'm sorry Severus, but no it can't. Since the spell was accidentally made it can only be undone accidentally or the wish fulfilled. Like I said, the creator was quite peculiar. Harry would have to unknowingly make another wish that he no longer needed this person. That wish would have to be from his heart also."

"Do I just go on as if this spell was never performed?"

Severus hoped since Potter didn't know about the spell, life could go on as normal.

"It's not quite as simple as that. The Heart's Wish seems like a foolish spell but can have dire consequences," Dumbledore frowned.

"If Harry were to be killed, then you would be as well if the spell was not undone or fulfilled. You are now bound by it."

Severus grew pale. With the brains of that idiot, it won't take much.

"And what about Potter if I were to be killed?"

"Since Harry is the one who cast the Heart's Wish nothing would happen except all of your memories would be transferred to him. Severus I think it crucial for Harry to be more protected at school and most importantly when he's staying with his relatives."

All Severus wanted to do was wake up from this nightmare.

"What do you suggest we do, Headmaster?"

"If you were to take over guardianship of Harry, he could be better supervised."

That was the final straw. "Definitely not!" Severus shouted. "I will NOT have that brat make my life even more miserable!"

"My boy, please see reason. If Harry were to be killed by You-Know-Who, we couldn't spare to lose you as well."

That's all the old man cares about, is stopping the Dark Lord.

"Do you expect me to take precious Potter home with me for the holidays and bake him Christmas cookies as well?" Severus sneered.

Dumbledore's eyes twinkled slightly at the thought of Severus baking cookies.

"While that is not a bad idea Severus, I don't see a different option. Harry needs protection." He said becoming serious again.

Severus knew he was trapped. Pinching the bridge of his nose, Severus sighed, "When will this be in effect?"

"Immediately. First thing tomorrow we will inform Mr. Potter of the arrangements. Things will go on as normal, Severus. Harry will still stay in the Gryffindor dormitory and you'll still be his professor. Once the winter holidays get closer will we then discuss where Harry will be staying. The Dursely's guardianship will be handed over to you but their blood wards will remain active."

Severus's only reply was to bid the headmaster goodnight. He walked down to his quarters in the dungeons for a much needed glass of spiced rum.

                                       **************************************

Harry was summoned to the headmaster's office after breakfast. He told Ron and Hermione about Snape fighting the Death Eater and the dark blue mist he conjured.

"What do you think it means, Harry?" Ron asked, mindful enough to swallow his food first.

"No idea Ron," Harry answered.

"Well it's obvious that's the reason Professor Dumbledore wants to see Harry," Hermione added.

"I'll let you know when I get back. I still have to practice quidditch today so I best go now." Harry got up and made his way to Professor Dumbledore's office.

**************************************

"Ah, Harry, so nice to see you again, my boy," Dumbledore smiled and made a gesture for Harry to sit in an empty chair. Snape was occupying the other one.

"I suppose you are wondering why I summoned you?"

"Yes, sir."

"I'll get to the point. Harry, that mist you told me about last night came from a spell you cast. It's called a Heart's Wish and you cast it by unknowingly wishing for someone that needed you."

The professor paused.

Continuing he said, "That someone is Professor Snape, according to your heart. He is now bound by it until he fulfills your wish. If something terrible happens to you, then Professor Snape would be hurt as well. Do you understand so far, Harry?" The headmaster didn't want to completely scare the boy by telling him about the death part.

Harry tentatively replied with a "Yes, sir."

"Good. Now Professor Trelawney informed me that since the mist was a dark blue, your aura indicates fear of the future. Which is to be expected."

Dumbledore looked at Professor Snape.

"There is another small fact I forgot to mention last night. After twelve hours of casting a Heart's Wish, an ancient rune symbol appears above both person's hearts."

Well that's the icing on the cake. I now have a heart tattoo to go with the spell. I'm going to kill you Potter!

Scowl deepening and eyes darkening, Severus bit his tongue to keep from saying that aloud.

Turning back to Harry, Dumbledore finally came to the point, "To take extra precautions from harm befalling you, Professor Snape has agreed to become your guardian."

Severus rolled his eyes in response.

Harry couldn't believe what he was hearing! Snape? My guardian? No! No! No!

This couldn't be true! Snape hated Harry as much as Harry hated Snape. If not more.

Harry sat on the edge of his chair ready to inform Professor Dumbledore of that small bit of information, but a withering glare from Snape made him sit back. He just nodded dejectedly instead.

"Harry I know this is a lot to take in right now. But nothing will be different at school. We will discuss the holiday breaks as they get closer."

"Why don't you take some time alone to mull everything over, Harry?" Dumbledore said in a gentle voice.

With a look of disbelief and confusion on his face, Harry replied with another "Yes, sir" and followed Snape out.

**************************************

"Potter. Follow me," Snape said sharply.

Harry followed the potions teacher down to his office.

Once inside, Snape bent his face close to Harry's and hissed vehemently, "I'm warning you now Potter, don't you dare breath a word of our ‘condition' to anyone!"

"I promise I won't, sir."

"You'll rue the day you were born if that promise is broken!"

Snape straightened and added coldly, "The less I'm reminded of your pathetic existence the better. You will serve your detention next Friday."

I wouldn't call surviving the Dark Lord a pathetic existence, greasy bastard!

The professor stretched a long, slender finger towards the door. "Out."

Harry chose to keep his comment to himself and retreated out of the office.

**************************************

Harry was eager to start practicing with the snitch. Last night was as overwhelmingly long as today was turning out to be. He had a feeling the days to come would not be so different.

Snape being his guardian hadn't fully sunken in yet. Neither did the thought of how much his life had been changed by that single wish.

Sighing, Harry released the snitch and climbed onto his broom, thankful for the thrill of flying to clear his mind.

**************************************

Severus sighed and sat down at his desk. As much as he didn't want to lose brain cells by grading potions homework, it would help to take his thoughts elsewhere.

Lifting his quill to the inkwell, Severus remembered what Dumbledore had said earlier. He stood up suddenly and removed his robes and shirt. There, above his heart, was a dark blue Nauthiz symbol. It looked like a lowercase ‘t' with the cross line at an angle.

Severus recognized the symbol at once. This couldn't be right. What conflicts would cause Potter to be deprived but self-reliant with the power to overcome them? Surely the brat had his relatives groveling at his feet!

To be continued...
End Notes:
Another big thank you to Lily Elizabeth Snape for beta-ing my story! Also a big thank you for reading the story and to the users who left reviews!

The following websites have full credit for any info used in my story that was taken from them:

Flipendo spell source:

http://www.pojo.com/harrypotter/spelist.shtml

Aura colors and meanings source:

http://www.reiki-for-holistic-health.com/auracolormeanings.html

Ancient Rune symbols and meanings source:

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/meanings.html


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1941