Heart's Wish by myAkela
Summary: When Harry gets into a tight spot, he makes a suprising heartfelt wish. Little does he know, that one wish will throw him and his dreaded potions teacher into an unexpected and trying relationship.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Ron, Sirius, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 1st Year, 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 8955 Read: 21039 Published: 18 Sep 2009 Updated: 09 Feb 2010
Chapter 4 by myAkela

Harry moaned, rolled onto his side, and curled into a ball as he was thrown into another dream.

Thick, fluffy snowflakes danced and swirled around Harry as they made their journey to the ground. All that could be seen was white and gray. White land that stretched into a white horizon to meet the gray sky. The scene would normally be described as serene, but an eerie feeling made Harry shiver. The atmosphere was very still. Too still. He craned his neck hoping to hear a noise of something, anything. Not even a slight breeze whispered past his ear. Harry stopped walking as he suddenly realized something. Despite the vanishing cloud of breath coming from his mouth, he was not cold. No gooseflesh crawled up his arms even though he was wearing a t-shirt.

At once, a strong gust of wind barreled into Harry almost knocking him to the ground. The wind started whipping snow into his face. He shut his eyes and dropped his face down to protect it from the pin prick-like sting. Suddenly everything around him started spinning. Faster and faster until Harry thought he would be sick. Just as he was about to fall to his knees, the spinning stopped.

Now Harry was standing in total darkness. Blinking a few times to adjust his eyes, he could see the glow of a streetlight. Desperately wanting to be in the light, Harry trudged through the thick blanket of snow towards it. His shoes crunching as they packed down the snow. Standing underneath the streetlight, Harry wasn't sure what to do. He certainly did not want to leave the false security of the light.

The crunch of a shoe made Harry jerk to his right. The slow, methodic footsteps became louder as they got closer to the light. A face suddenly appeared through the snowflakes. Startled, Harry into jumped a step back. A red, flabby face stared back at him.

"Uncle Vernon?" Harry said uncertainly.

"Lazy boy! I didn't send you out here to dilly-dally around! Get back to shoveling!" The man shouted furiously.

Harry was confused.

"I-I-I d-don't know wha-what you're talking a-about, Uncle Vernon," he stammered.

Vernon became enraged and took a step closer to Harry.

"Ignorant whelp! Think you can talk back to me, do you? Well I'll show you!"

Harry instinctively brought his arms up to his face.

"Potter!"

Harry dropped his arms to reveal a man in black robes staring stonily at him with black eyes.

"You insufferable brat! Arrogant like your father! Always getting into trouble just like him!" The man's sharp voice filled with disgust.

Before Harry could reply, the person vanished.

Once again, Harry was alone staring out into the inky night.

"Haaarrrry."

The soft hiss made the hair prickle on the back of Harry's neck. Sucking in his breath, Harry froze in fear waiting for something to happen. After what seemed like an eternity, nothing did. He slowly turned around hoping only blackness would greet him. Instead, gleaming, red eyes were coming towards Harry. He noticed the eyes were getting larger as they came at him. Harry stood rooted to the spot. He was entranced in those eyes and couldn't force himself to turn and run. The eyes blended together to become a red stone glinting dully in the yellowish light. Harry outstretched his hands to catch it, but just as it was about to touch his fingertips, the stone vanished.

**************************************

 

Harry sat up in bed breathing rapidly, a sheen of cold sweat covering his body. The dream was the same as it had been the last two weeks. It always ended the same. The stone was never caught. Harry didn't pay much mind to the stone though. It was the red eyes that he couldn't get his mind off of. They were nothing he had ever seen before, that's what made them so scary. Then there was the voice. The mechanical voice eerily whispering his name.

Who was it?

Harry knew the first man was always Uncle Vernon, then Snape. Both people he knew, but then...the man with the red eyes. Someone, or something. Whoever they belonged to, could not be human. He would surely remember those red eyes. It was certainly a dream he didn't want to have anymore.

Harry got out of bed and made his way downstairs to sit by the warm fire in the common room. So much for sleep. Again.

"Good thing tomorrow's Saturday," he mumbled.

But if only he had a vial of Pleasant Dream Draught.

 

**************************************

"Are you sure you don't want to go to the hospital wing?" Hermione asked for the third time.

"You look ill."

"No Hermione. I'm fine. Really," came Harry's exasperated reply.

Ron shot Hermione a worried glance. The dark circles and pale complexion didn't go unnoticed. Choosing not to upset Harry, since he seemed edgy as of late, Ron continued eating his breakfast. Maybe he could get out of Harry what was bothering him in the common room. Later this evening.

Hermione stood up saying, "I'm going to the library to get started on our double essay for Potions."

She fixed Ron and Harry with 'the look'.

"I suggest you two do the same. We also have a paper due for Professor Binns and Transfiguration."

With that, she strode out of the Great Hall.

"Yeah, maybe I should go to the library too," Harry said, distracted in thought, as he too got up.

"Well I suggest we finish breakfast first," Ron grumbled as he shoved a piece of bacon into his mouth and followed Harry out of the Great Hall.

 

**************************************

Harry went straight to the potions section once entering the library. There were so many aisles of books he didn't know where to begin. Deciding on the aisle straight in front of him, Harry looked to his right to reveal books starting with 's'.

"Samples of Complex Potions...Samples of Diagnostic Potions...Samples of Intermediate Potions...Samples of Simple Potions...honestly! This is gonna take forever!" Harry griped to himself.

He skipped down a few rows and continued tapping the spines of each book as he read them aloud.

"Seed Properties of Elecampane Plant...Seeds: One-Thousand-and-One Uses..."

Harry's finger stopped in midair as his eyes lit up at the book directly in front of him: Seemingly Simple Potions for the Astute Student was scrawled along the spine in a flowing, cursive script. Harry looked around suspiciously as he grabbed the book from it's place. He knew that Pleasant Dream Draught was not made by students until the fifth year so one had to be astute by then. Besides, checking out Bubbling Up Pleasant Dream Draught for the First Time would be too obvious of course.

"Now all I have to do is convince Hermione to help me make this," Harry said as he inspected the worn, leather-bound book in his hands. Hermione knew everything and would certainly be able to brew the potion in no time.

"I hope," Harry added as an afterthought.

**************************************

"Absolutely not! No! No! And for the last time, NO!"

If Harry wasn't so desperate for the potion, he might have been amused at the sight of Hermione. Her hair was frazzled and a light shade of red had creeped into her face. The narrowed eyes and crossed arms only added more to the 'stern mother' look.

"Hermione please! I'm asking you to do me this one favor. I'll do anything to repay it! I swear!" Harry pleaded.

"It's not about you asking me to do a favor or repaying it. You need to go see Madame Pomfrey, Harry. Besides, we would get into so much trouble!"

Harry was not going to give up. He needed that draught in order to be able to stay awake in class, and most importantly, get rid of that damn nightmare! Three times this week Harry had dozed off in his classes. Thankfully all three times were during History of Magic and Professor Binns was to absorbed in his lectures to notice.

"I don't want Madame Pomfrey asking a bunch of questions over a silly dream. Plus, we won't get caught. We could brew the draught tomorrow. Nobody goes up to the Astronomy tower during the day. Especially on a Sunday. That way, we have all day to do it and won't be bothered."

"Harry has a point." Ron added. He would do anything to get his best friend back. If it was only a recurring nightmare that kept Harry from sleeping, then Ron figured the advantages far outweighed the risks. Madame Pomfrey was too nosy for her own good afterall.

Hermione knew she had been beaten. With a loud, exaggerated sigh, she said, "Alright. I'll help brew the potion, but just this once. If this dream keeps happening after a week, then you need to go to Madame Pomfrey. Or I will."

Harry grinned and threw his arms around Hermione in a big hug.

"Thank you Hermione! Now let's see what we're up against." Harry stated as he started flipping through the pages of Seemingly Simple Potions for the Astute Student.

At last Harry found the Pleasant Dream Draught's instructions and ingredients:

3 Drops of Bile from a Castrated Boar

1 Valerian Root

4 Leaves from Melissa officinalis plant

1 Strand of Red Hair from the Tail of a Faun

With a cauldron filled three-quarters of the way with water, place over a fire and let it remain until it boils. Dice the Valerian root into very fine pieces and add to the cauldron. Stir slowly but constantly clockwise for five minutes. Next, add the four Melissa officinalis leaves whole. Now you must wait until the leaves arrange themselves into a four-pointed star. Instantly add the three drops of bile and stir counterclockwise five times. The liquid should be a dark green. Drop in the faun hair. If it lights on fire as it dissolves, you have succeeded in making an acceptable Pleasant Dream Draught. Strain into a vial and tightly seal with a stopper.

 

 

"Snape should have all these ingredients in his storeroom," Harry said.

Hermione raised a questioning eyebrow as she asked, "And just how do you plan on collecting those ingredients?"

"Well, Snape always makes a big batch of sleeping draught for Madame Pomfrey on Sundays. He can't carry all of those borgalups at once, now can he? The seventh year Ravenclaw, Silas Skewlip, is studying to be a potions master and helps Snape make the draught in the classroom. Since the classroom is in the dungeons, and the storeroom one level up, I will have enough time to grab the four vials. You know Snape. Everything will be in alphabetical order."

Harry's face was bright with his excitement at the ingenious plan.

Looking at Ron, he continued, "I just need Ron to make sure Silas is in the classroom setting up the cauldrons and preparing other ingredients. Hermione and I will wear my invisibility cloak in the dungeons to wait for Snape to make the first trip. Hermione will then alert me if he comes back. "

"You've certainly gave this a lot of thought, Harry."

Ron and Harry grinned at each other as Hermione just shook her head.

 

**************************************

Harry paced back and forth in front of his bed. It was Sunday and he had used the last of the Pleasant Dream Draught last night. There was no way he could ask Hermione to make more.

Think Harry! Think!

He was surprised at how well the plan played out last week. Professor Snape didn't even notice supplies were missing from the storeroom!

Thats it! I can grab more vials! It's Sunday!

Harry folded his invisibility cloak and stuffed it in his jeans pocket. With that, he left for the dungeons.

Stopping a few feet from the Potions' classroom door, he could hear Silas and Snape talking and a pungent odor hung in the hallway . The tension began to build again in Harry's chest. He was too late to get the ingredients from the storeroom. Professor Snape had already begun brewing the sleeping draught.

Wouldn't hurt to try. Harry thought to himself.

He trudged up the stairs and walked down the hallway to where the professor's storeroom was located. Sighing in relief at the empty hallway, Harry stopped in front of the door. He slowly turned the doorknob. A soft click was heard. Snape forgot to lock it!

Harry couldn't believe it! He threw his cloak around himself and went into the storeroom, leaving the door ajar slightly.

Unbeknownst to Harry, he wasn't alone. A blonde haired boy sneered from around the corner as he watched Harry put on his invisibility cloak and open the door.

**************************************

"The potion turned out satisfactorily, Skewlip," Severus Snape said to the younger wizard with a nod.

Silas smiled as he wiped the sweat from his forehead. That was the best compliment he had received from the Potions Master.

Suddenly a voice called out from the doorway, "Professor Snape, sir, I think you left the potions storeroom door open."

Severus smirked. He had noticed a few vials pushed aside on the shelves last Sunday. After setting them straight, had he then noticed a few missing ingredients. Assuming that the culprit would want more, Severus left the storeroom unlocked today. His assumptions had been right.

"Silas, start transferring the potion into vials. Mr. Malfoy, you may be on your way," Severus instructed as he strode from the room.

**************************************

Once inside, Harry immediately started searching for the needed vials. Except there was a problem. The ingredients had been rearranged and alphabetized in columns instead of rows.

"C'mon!" He whispered aloud as he pushed aside vials in frustration. The invisibility cloak slid to floor from the movements.

"I think an explanation as to your unauthorized presence in my storeroom is in order, Mr. Potter," A silky voice said behind Harry, making him jump.

A large hand suddenly grasped his shoulder and spun him around. Snape's black eyes flashed with anger as they pierced Harry's green ones. He suddenly found the scuff marks on his shoes to be very interesting.

"I am waiting, Potter."

The professor's voice was low and quiet.

Harry still refused to answer. He wasn't about to tell the professor he had been having bad dreams. Snape belittled him enough, no need to add further embarrassment on himself.

Interactions between the professor and Harry were nonexistent outside of the classroom. Harry had taken extra precautions to avoid detentions with him. Since the man had gained guardianship over him, Harry wanted even less to do with the professor. So much for that now.

"You have tried my patience, Potter. Come with me," Snape said in clipped tones.

Harry looked up with wide eyes at him. Before he could even think, "No!" just came out automatically.

The professor turned around and bent his face within inches of Harry's own. "Not only am I your professor, but also your guardian. You will obey me, Potter," He hissed.

Snape reached out and grabbed Harry's shoulder once again in a vice-like grip, moving him forward.

Before he knew it, they were in the dungeons at Snape's private quarters. Harry was slightly confused. He had never been to the professor's private quarters before. Actually, he never really thought of Snape having one.

 

The first room to greet them was an area that seemed to serve as an office. There was a desk table and chair in one corner. Books lined the walls on both sides of it. A black couch with matching chairs was arranged by the fireplace, with a green rug in the middle. The room had a comfortable atmosphere that surprised Harry.

The scrape of a chair quickly brought his mind back. Snape had placed a hard-backed, wooden chair in front of the desk. He watched as Snape removed his teaching robes and rolled the sleeves up on his black, button up shirt.

"I do not tolerate thievery, Mr. Potter. Did you take ingredients from the storeroom last Sunday?" Snape asked as he went around to the desk and opened a drawer.

Harry nodded.

"When I ask a question, I expect it to be answered. Verbally."

"Yes, sir," Harry said quietly.

He then saw what the professor had received from the desk drawer. Harry put everything together and started backing up towards the door.

 

**************************************

Severus laid the ruler on the desk. He had always reveled in the idea of the bratbeing punished for his disobedience. Some of those feelings he knew were to extract revenge on his school tormentor; James Potter. The boy was looking at him with fear instead of his usual arrogant look. Good. The brat should be afraid.

Severus was going to teach Potter that there are consequences for his actions.

"Mr. Potter, you need to learn to be accountable for your actions. The headmaster may dote on you and turn a blind eye to your disobedience, but I simply will not. Your days of delinquency are coming to an end. Now, come here."

The boy just shook his head from side to side and continued moving towards the door. Severus pinched the bridge of his nose. Of course this wasn't going to be easy. Nothing ever was where Potter was concerned.

In three long strides, Severus reached him and made to grasp the boy's wrist but hesitated slightly when he flinched. Severus grabbed the small wrist more slowly and pulled Potter over to the chair and sat down, dragging Potter across his lap.

"Let me go! You have no right to do this! Please!" Potter shouted hysterically. He tried to wriggle off of Severus's lap but he held him firmly around the boy's torso.

"Stop the theatrics, Potter. I'm only going to give you a spanking, not skin you alive," Severus said as he picked up the ruler and delivered the first smack across the upturned bottom. Potter began crying after the fourth smack..

"Please, professor! I'm sorry!" He pleaded through his hiccups.

Severus delivered the last two smacks and put the ruler back on the desk. He let the boy cry some more over his lap before straightening him up. Severus conjured up a tissue and handed it out to the red faced boy.

Instead of taking it, Potter turned around made a bolt for the door. Severus grabbed his wand and locked the door.

"We are not finished, Mr. Potter. You still have some explaining to do."

"Iwashavingabaddream," The boy mumbled with his head against the door.

"Speak clearly, Potter. And turn around," Severus said.

"I needed the ingredients to make a Pleasant Dream Draught. I've been having the same nightmare for three weeks," Potter looked down as he said this.

The last thing Severus wanted to do was solve the woes of children. That was more Poppy's job or Minerva's. He wasn't the coddling type.

"So you entered my storeroom without permission, twice I may add, stole ingredients, and then made a draught outside of class? Do you know how dangerous a potion can be if you don't make it right? Some more than others. That's why I have students learn in it their fifth year! Not first year!" Severus raised his voice with the last part. How incredulous of the boy!

Potter visibly recoiled once again. What is wrong with the boy?

"Potter go sit on the couch. We'll discuss this...dream," Severus instructed as he seen Potter's eyes widen in fear again. He didn't want the boy to think he was going to be punished again.

**************************************

Harry gingerly lowered himself on the couch. His backside hurt from the spanking he had received. He was still in a bit of shock from the whole ordeal. The professor had not been cruel, though. Snape could have done any number of horrible things as Harry assumed he wanted to. Not to say Harry wasn't humiliated but he expected a far worse punishment.

Professor Snape moved one of the chairs around so he sat facing Harry.

"Now, tell me about this recurring nightmare."

Harry went on and explained the dream.

"It always ends the same. The first person is always Uncle Vernon, then you, then someone with red eyes. The eyes get closer and closer and then turn into a red stone. Then I wake up before catching it."

The professor was lost in thought. Suddenly, he stood up from the chair and went into another room. He returned carrying a vial with dark green liquid inside.

"Here is a vial of Pleasant Dream Draught for tonight. Go straight to your dormitory." Snape said handing Harry the vial. "Do no linger in the halls," He added sternly.

"What does the dream mean, Professor?" Harry said.

"I will speak to the Headmaster about it. Do not concern yourself with it. I hope next time you will think about your actions before executing them."

"Yes, sir." Harry replied as he turned to leave.

Harry was thankful the dorm room was empty. It was late in the evening, but too early for the students to be going to bed yet. He would think of something to tell Ron and Hermione about his absence. There were some things you just kept to yourself.

**************************************

Severus sat back down in the chair staring intently into the flames leaping in the fireplace. He didn't feel any joy in giving the Potter boy a few smacks as he thought he would. It was well deserved, but the image of Potter's hysterics and flinching from him weighed heavily on his mind. Severus may be stern and a bit mean with his words at times, but he would never harm a student. He knew firsthand about living in fear. Did Potter as well?

Severus had almost forgotten about the dream. Standing up quickly, he left the room and made his way to the Dumbledore's office.

"Shrieking Snarkle," He mumbled to the gargoyle.

"Ah, Severus, my boy have a seat," The Headmaster grinned as he walked in.

"I have some troubled news, Headmaster," Severus said shaking his head in refusal of the offered chair.

"I believe the Dark Lord may have gained access to Potter's mind."

"That is troubled news indeed, Severus."

The smile now gone from Dumbledore's face.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I'm having a hard time writing this story so am contemplating whether or not to continue. It just doesn't seem to go together like I had thought. Thank you for reading and feel free to leave(or email)suggestions.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1941