Heart's Wish by myAkela
Summary: When Harry gets into a tight spot, he makes a suprising heartfelt wish. Little does he know, that one wish will throw him and his dreaded potions teacher into an unexpected and trying relationship.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Ron, Sirius, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 1st Year, 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 8955 Read: 21037 Published: 18 Sep 2009 Updated: 09 Feb 2010
Story Notes:
This is my first fanfiction story ever written. I stumbled upon this site one day and loved a few of the stories on here and thought I'd try my hand at writing. There will be some mild CP in this story so read at own risk. I don't condone the use of it in RL. Many thanks to my beta, Lily Elizabeth Snape. Credit goes to J.K. Rowling for her wonderful Harry Potter characters and books!

1. Chapter 1 by myAkela

2. Chapter 2 by myAkela

3. Chapter 3 by myAkela

4. Chapter 4 by myAkela

Chapter 1 by myAkela

"Open your books to page 197. Begin reading about the vilas root and its- Potter! Are you so inept that you cannot comprehend simple numbers and their meaning as time?"

Snape's lip curled into that notorious evil sneer as he swung around to stare at the latecomer standing by the door.

"Leave your assignment on my desk and stop wasting everyone's time with your dawdling," he snapped.

Oh no. Harry thought as the color drained form his face. He had forgotten about his potions' assignment last night after the excitement of him becoming Seeker for the Gryffindor Quidditch team.

"Since you're gaping like a grindylow out of water, am I correct to assume you have not completed your assignment?"

The professor's sneer turned even uglier. If that was possible.

"Y-yes, sir," Harry said. His voice faltering slightly.

"Tomorrow I expect an essay on the importance of punctuality along with your assignment on the role of the vilas root in the Giddy-less Potion. Now kindly close your jaw before it unhinges from your face and SIT DOWN!"

Professor Snape resumed writing the reading assignments on the board.

Draco Malfoy snickered loudly as Harry made his way to the desk he shared with Ron.

"Git!", Ron whispered as Harry sat down and opened his Magical Drafts and Potions book.

"Oh and Potter, detention with me. 7 o' clock this evening. Do not be late. Also, ten points from Gryffindor, Mr. Weasley.", Snape smirked.

**************************************

The rest of the day went rather well for Harry despite the upcoming detention. Hermione helped him and Ron get their Transfiguration assignment, for the next day, done early. Well, Harry and Ron looked at hers to "get ideas".

Harry was glad to have formed a strong friendship with the goofy red head and the eleven year old brainiac.

He had even looked forward to potions until the very first day of class.

‘Ah, our newest celebrity.The Boy-Who-Lived Potter,' Snape had said, sneer firmly in place.

From then on, Harry and Snape shared an animosity toward one another. It didn't help, either, that Malfoy was in the Slytherin house and got away with everything in front of the professor.

"Tomrow ish yur firsht day o' quidtch practish Hry," Ron said around a mouthful of carrot cake, bringing Harry back to the present.

"Ron! Your manners are atrocious!" Hermione scolded, making the offender blush.

Harry laughed and got up from the table to head back to the dormitory. Maybe if he started his potions assignment and extra essay, he'll get it done after detention. He didn't want to think about all the things Snape could do to him if they weren't completed yet again.

**************************************

Of all the most annoying, time wasting things he could be doing this evening, Snape had to sit two hours of detention with that despicable Potter brat. It was more of a punishment to him than the boy.

Severus scowled. There was still an hour of peace to be had before the delinquent arrived and he was determined to think of the most uncomfortable, dreadful detention to make sure Potter would never earn another. For awhile at least.

All too soon, the clock chimed 7 o' clock and a light rap on the door alerted Severus to Potter's arrival.

"Enter," he said from his desk in the dungeon office.

Harry stepped in tentatively and quietly shut the door behind him. The professor wasted no time in dictating what Harry was to be doing the entirety of the detention.

"Tonight you'll be preparing borgalups," Snape instructed as he led Harry into a small room and over to a wooden table with a steel sink on the right.

The borgalup was some sort of dark green mushroom, only about three times the size. The stem seemed to be reedy. Hard as a young, thin branch but more flexible. On the head, were light green spots that were slightly raised.

"You must cut out the light green fluid filled sacs that you see on the head. I only need the dark green meat so throw away the stem. If any fluid leaks out into the head, it is useless. And I suggest you exercise extreme caution when doing so. The fluid has a rather....unpleasant odor. You have two hours to ready twenty borgalups."

Harry frowned as he put on a pair of dragonhide gloves. "What are these for, sir?", he asked the profressor.

"I need them to make a very strong sleeping draught. Now I suggest you get to work." And with that Snape was gone in a billowing of robes.

How hard can this be? Harry thought as he picked up one of the borgalups and a small, thin paring knife. Cutting off the stem, Harry set to work on cutting out the sacs on the head. There were so many of the little buggers. He had only one more to cut out when it suddenly popped from the tip of the knife. Foul green fluid spattered on the front of Harry's robe and he could see the dark green flesh of the borgalup turning light green.

"Great," he muttered, scrunching up his face. "That one's useless."

The next one was successful, however, and before he knew it, Harry had a small pile of prepared borgalups.

**************************************

Severus Snape sat at his desk grading papers. He smiled as a muttered "Great." could be heard from the adjacent room. Serves the brat right for being lazy.

How he hated seeing that smug look everyday on Potter's face that reminded him so much of James bloody Potter. Snape wondered what his deceased tormentor would say seeing his son in detention dicing ingrediants for potions. The one subject James loathed. How sweet revenge could be. Severus smiled again.

Severus looked up to see that it was 9 o' clock and time to see how well the brat fared with his punishment.

**************************************

The professor was greeted by the odor of fermented fish oil when he opened the door. He noticed the boy's shoulders slumped a little as he came to stand by Harry's side.

"Twelve Potter? Can you not count as well as tell time?", he sneered.

Harry felt his temper rising, "There were so many sacs! And they break so easily!"

"Mind your tone, boy. I specifically recall asking you to prepare twenty borgalups but it seems this simple task is above your ability."

Snape flicked his wand and banished all the borgalups, good ones included, to the waste bin.

"What are you doing?", cried Harry, his temper bursting forth, "Why make me cut any at all? Do it yourself next time!"

Snape bent his face close to Harry's, "You will respect me, Potter. The point of this detention was to punish you for your tardiness and late assignment. Do not tempt me to give you another one." Hard black eyes penetrated angry green ones.

Harry knew he was pushing his luck and should have heeded Snape's warning, but he was determined to get the last word in.

"I didn't know you needed to be tempted to give out detentions to Gryffindors, Snape."

Snape was livid! Who did the fool boy think he was, talking to him in that manner?

"That's Professor Snape to you and detention tomorrow night," Severus snapped.

Harry suddenly remembered he had quidditch practice tomorrow night.

"Please sir! I'm sorry. I have quidditch practice tomorrow!"

Snape couldn't believe it! Now the precious Potter wanted his disrespectful attitude to be ignored because of quidditch? What he needed was a hard smack to his backside!

In a voice that sent most first years fleeing faster than a rat with its tail on fire, Professor Snape ground out, "It will behoove you to show up here tomorrow night, Potter. The consequences will be dire if you do not. Do. You. Understand?"

The look of defeat made Severus triumph a little. Someone had to put Potter in his place.

"Yes, sir," came the quiet reply.

"Get back to your dorm before I give you another detention for being out past curfew," Snape spat.

Harry nodded and quickly left.

Severus sighed and went to his shelves of potions, grabbing a fresh vial of Pound-No-More headache relief.

Why did he always end up with a headache after Potter had been in his presence?

To be continued...
End Notes:
If you've gotten this far, thank you so much for sticking with the story. I'd love to hear any thoughts on how the story/writing can be better!
Chapter 2 by myAkela
Author's Notes:
I have a few things to mention that I should have from the begining. This story will not follow the events that happen throughout the books or they may happen earlier, later, etc. Not sure where this story is going to take me yet. Also for the sake of the story, Lord Voldemort is a whole person (like he became in GoF).

Now in this chapter, Snape has a flashback. This is identified by italics with parenthesis. Italics indicate that person's thoughts. Hope it isn't too confusing!

Breakfast was a quiet affair the next morning. Harry hadn't touched one thing on his plate except to make roads through his scrambled eggs. He couldn't believe he was going to miss the first quidditch practice of the season. Why didn't he control his temper and keep his mouth shut?

Harry had lain awake for hours thinking of a way to tell Oliver Wood that he had detention and couldn't make practice.

Sighing loudly, Hermione said, "Harry you know you have to go to detention. You could be expelled if you don't!"

Harry and Ron simultaneously rolled their eyes at Hermione's exaggeration.

"I know that, Hermione," Harry said a bit peevishly. "I'm more worried about confronting Wood. What if he decides I'm not worth being on the team? What if he thinks I'll get detention every practice? What if he thinks I don't want to be on the team?"


Now it was Hermione's turn to roll her eyes.

"Stop playing the 'what if' game. Harry, just tell Oliver what happened. He'll understand about Professor Snape. I get the feeling it's not the first time he made a Gryffindor miss quidditch."

Harry chanced a look at the teacher's table to find stony black eyes staring intently at him.

Why did the ornery old bat have to stare at him constantly?

**************************************

Severus noticed Potter was looking at him from across the hall. Why did he find himself studying the boy more often than not?

The boy was certainly an imbecile in Potions. Severus didn't dare leave him and that despicable Longbottom stray from his sight for too long. He valued his possessions to stay intact, and his person as well for that matter.

‘He's sitting where Lily used to,' a small voice said as a memory floated to the front of Severus's mind.

("James cut it out!" Lily said in exasperation. "I had intended to eat that blueberry muffin.'"

"What? You don't think it looks more appetizing as a blue toad?", laughed James Potter.

Severus Snape watched the scene play out from his seat at the end of the Slytherin table.

‘Stupid Potter! Thinks he can do whatever he wants with no regards to the other person.'

He would have gladly given Lily his muffin but knew the ramifications would be harsh from Potter and his group of thugs.)

The memory of James made Snape despise the Potter brat even more. He hardened his eyes until the boy went back to pulverizing his eggs even more.

**************************************

Harry spotted Wood outside talking amongst friends under an oak tree.

Approaching apprehensively and voice shaking, Harry managed to get out, "Oliver? Can I talk to you? It's about practice."

"Sure Harry. Come over here a bit. Now what's on your mind?" Oliver led him far enough away that their conversation wouldn't be overheard.

"Well...you see...I sorta got detention with Snape tonight. I'm sorry Oliver! Please don't kick me off the team! I really, really want to play!", Harry's frantic voice rose a notch.

"Calm down, Harry. I'm a bit disappointed that you got in trouble without thinking about your obligation to practice. However, this isn't the first time Professor Snape has caused someone to miss practice due to detention. Or a game. I'll let it go today on the condition you spend a few hours on Saturday practicing with the snitch. Deal?"

Letting out his breath in a big whooosh, Harry was so relieved.

"Thanks Oliver! I'll practice tomorrow and Sunday!"

With that Harry ran back to the building to tell Ron and Hermione the good news.

**************************************

"Harry that's great!", exclaimed Ron.

"Told you he'd understand," replied Hermione.

Harry and Ron laughed at the fact Hermione was right once again.

"Let's go to Hagrid's for a little bit. I still have two hours before my doom in the dungeons," suggested Harry.

The trio made their way to the friendly half-giant's hut. Hagrid was always happy to see them.

"Oi! Harry! Ron! Hermione! Wut might you yungins be up to now, ey?"

So the three of them excitedly told Hagrid how their classes were going and what they thought about they're professors. Soon it was six thirty and starting to darken outside.

Just as Harry, Ron, and Hermione made a stand to leave, a loud crack! was heard by the edge of the Forbidden Forest. Hagrid was at the window and could just barely make out six black robed figures walking towards the hut. What got his attention, however, was the flash of silver Hagrid caught as the figures got closer .

"Death Eaters!", he whispered.

Four of the Death Eaters seemed to make their way towards the castle as if to surround it. The last two walked around the front of the hut.

They must not have seen the back door under all the ivy vines, Hagrid thought.

"Let's get to the Forest you three!", Hagrid said, casting a concealing charm on the students and himself. He was thankful he hadn't lit any candles yet.

Hagrid, Hermione, Ron, and Harry quietly went out the back door and ran as fast they were able to the Forbidden Forest.

Harry pumped his legs, willing them to go faster despite the burning in his lungs. He suddenly came upon a fallen log too quickly to stop.

"Oomph!", he muffled a cry as he pushed himself off the ground. It was at that precise moment, Harry sickengly realized, he was alone. Not only alone, but lost.

Not knowing what else to do, Harry dived under a thicket of brush nearby and scooted himself back into a makeshift tunnel. He did not want to think about whose home he had just temporarily taken over.

**************************************

Severus Snape was furious! How dare that arrogant little fool defy him? He should have known Potter would go to quidditch practice instead. May Godric Gryffindor save you himself, Potter, when I find you!

"Hope you'll like writing your one thousand lines with fins during all of your next five detentions, Potter!", Severus spat out loud as he made his way to the fireplace.

He intended to floo to Professor McGonagall's office, when green flames shot out. Minerva herself walked out looking white as the ghosts who roamed the corridors.

"Severus, there are Death Eaters on school grounds! The Order has been called!", she said, ernestly adding "Hagrid, Ms. Granger, and Mr. Weasley burst into the castle minutes ago, coming from the Forbidden Forest. They're the ones who alerted us to the six Death Eaters!"

"Where's Potter?", Severus asked, already dreading the answer. And how did Death Eaters manage to get on school grounds? And why were there only six?

"He's still inside the forest!", cried Professor McGonagall

Pulling his wand out, Severus ordered in a firm voice, "Go! The Order can handle this!"

Severus had already disappeared from the room before Minerva had time to ask what he planned to do.

**************************************

Harry was shaking partly from cold but mostly from fright. He tried and failed several times to calm his harsh breathing and rapid heartbeat. Somewhere not too far away, a twig snapped. Harry swiveled his head sharply to the left. Through the thicket he could just make out a pair of black clad legs.

"I know you can hear me Potter. Come out and play! The Dark Lord will be most pleased by your company!", a gravelly, not quite human laugh echoed through the forest.

Harry started shaking uncontrollably. Please! Let someone come who can save me! Please! Anyone! Harry chanted silently over and over.

"Send someone who needs me as much as I need them!", he whispered out loud.

Where did that plea come from?

Before Harry had time to dwell on it, a line of thin, dark blue mist wound it's way out of the underbrush.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you for reading another chapter!
Here's something to mull over: If Hagrid were a dog what breed would he be?

A Newfoundland always comes to my mind :)
Chapter 3 by myAkela

Severus weaved his way through the Forbidden Forest without so much as crunching a fallen leaf. Stealth was one of his fortés. He mastered the art as a young child when his father would come home after work. Something always went wrong at work and Severus was the recipient of his father's anger.

A loud, hoarse laugh alerted Severus to the location of the Death Eater he had been tracking. The laugh sounded a little bit odd, too, but Severus couldn't put his finger on why, exactly. Turning to his right, Severus started walking, then suddenly stopped. A line of dark blue seemed to be headed toward him. Severus raised his wand - not sure what kind of charm, or curse, seemed to be intended for him. The line stopped in front of Severus' boots. On a closer look, the line appeared to be mist.

With more important issues on his mind, Severus disregarded the mist and continued walking. Soon enough he could see an outline of a figure standing close to a thicket of underbrush. The professor cautiously walked a few more feet before concealing himself behind a great maple tree before the robed figure spotted him. What he noticed next, however, became his biggest concern. The underbrush seemed to be the source of the dark blue mist. Looking down, Severus noticed the mist was once again in front of him. He looked up to see the figure walk in front of the underbrush and kick a small branch in frustration through the line of mist. Severus held his breath. The robed figure turned and started walking further into the forest.

The Death Eater didn't see the mist! Severus let out his breath. It was time to deal with the retreating figure.

"You made a grave mistake in coming here Death Eater," Severus said loudly as he stepped out from behind the tree.

The figure turned around in a dramatic swirl of his robes. "Flipendo!"

Severus was faster than his opponent, however, and blocked the oncoming spell. "Stupefy!"

White sparks flew at the Death Eater. Once hit, the Death Eater vanished in a burst of dust falling to the ground. Severus stood shocked. What was that thing?

Rustling behind him didn't give Severus the time to dwell on what happened. The Death Eater, or whatever it was, was gone. Severus looked down with a knowing feeling. The trail of mist once again remained in front of his boots and led behind him.

**************************************

Harry fought his way out from underneath the tangle of vines and branches. He had just barely seen Snape beat the Death Eater but knew it was safe to come out. Now Harry could see where the line of mist led.

As the professor came closer to him, the line of mist got smaller. It disappeared completely once Snape was standing directly in front of Harry.

 

"A surprise to meet you here Potter," Snape said sarcastically.

"Thank you for saving me, professor." Harry thought it better to ask Professor Dumbledore about the blue mist instead of Snape.

"Shall we get back to the school? Or would you rather finish your tour of the Forbidden Forest?" The professor's voice dripped with ire.

Snape was clearly not in one of his better moods. Assuming he had ‘better moods' that is.

"To school, sir," Harry replied, hoping the professor forgot about his detention he was supposed to be serving tonight.

**************************************

Once Harry and Professor Snape were inside the Headmaster's office, Harry wasted no time in telling him about the mist.

"It was so cool! All I asked for was someone who could save me," he exclaimed once Dumbledore asked what how he conjured the mist.

"Harry are you sure that is all you wished for?" replied the Headmaster.

Harry thought for a moment, "Well...no...that wasn't all."

Dumbledore waited for the child to continue but a slight flush creeped up Harry's face when he looked at Professor Snape.

"Would you like to whisper the rest to me, child?" Dumbledore asked with a warm smile.

Harry nodded and walked over to the headmaster.

"I did ask for someone to come that needed me as much as I needed them. I don't know what made me say that. Must've been 'cause I was so scared."

Dumbledore smiled again, "Yes you certainly had reason to be scared. You must be quite tired with all the excitement."

A wink at Professor McGonagall prompted her to guide Harry out of the office and toward the Gryffindor common room.

Once the two left, Severus spoke, "Headmaster, that was not a real Death Eater I dueled with was it?"

"No, Severus it wasn't. They are called Evaporati. Death Eaters recently invented them to carry out orders without risk of being hurt themselves."

Severus waited for the Headmaster to explain what an Evaporatus is.

"An Evaporatus is not real in a sense. At least they are not human. More like a real imagined human."

I should be used to being talked to in riddles by now. Severus thought.

"If these Evaporati are not real, then what purpose do they serve?"

"They themselves are unable to physically touch someone. These Evaporati take on the personality of the Death Eater who created it, even saying and using spells that the creator would have. Although they are unable to cast unforgivable curses, do not underestimate them. An Evaporatus can still do harm. One advantage is that it's destroyed once hit with any spell."

"Then why was there not a bigger attack tonight?" Severus asked.

"Sounds like the Death Eaters are doing a trial run, per se, with their new creations. I have been perfecting a magical barrier that would prevent an Evaporatus from coming onto school grounds."

Having his question answered, Severus made to leave.

"Severus, there is something I would like to discuss with you, if you don't mind."

"Certainly, Headmaster."

"This dark blue mist Harry described-"

"Yes Headmaster, I don't know what the boy did but it disappeared and does not concern me any longer."

"On the contrary, Severus."

Severus quirked an eyebrow.

"Harry performed a Heart's Wish."

"Heart's Wish?" Severus asked skeptically.

"It is a spell that was accidentally created hundreds of years ago by a peculiar old wizard fascinated with ancient ruins. His name was Wimbledon Wayoff. This spell is one that can only be cast when something or someone is truly needed from someone and comes from that person's heart. A line of mist directs the spell caster to what it is he or she asked for."

Dumbledore continued, "The color of the mist depends on the wisher's aura. I will talk with Professor Trelawney about Harry's aura color since the mist was a dark blue."

Snape narrowed his eyes. "Headmaster, am I mistaken to assume that Potter made a heartfelt wish for me?"

"No Severus, I'm afraid you are not mistaken. Harry asked for someone who needed him as much as he did that person. According to his heart, that person is you."

That damn brat!

The Headmaster continued, "You are bound by this spell Severus, to help Harry. Once his wish has been fulfilled only then will the spell be undone."

"Fulfill what wish? The Golden Boy himself doesn't even know what he wished for! Can't the spell be countered?" Severus asked angrily, trying to keep a restraint on his temper.

"I'm sorry Severus, but no it can't. Since the spell was accidentally made it can only be undone accidentally or the wish fulfilled. Like I said, the creator was quite peculiar. Harry would have to unknowingly make another wish that he no longer needed this person. That wish would have to be from his heart also."

"Do I just go on as if this spell was never performed?"

Severus hoped since Potter didn't know about the spell, life could go on as normal.

"It's not quite as simple as that. The Heart's Wish seems like a foolish spell but can have dire consequences," Dumbledore frowned.

"If Harry were to be killed, then you would be as well if the spell was not undone or fulfilled. You are now bound by it."

Severus grew pale. With the brains of that idiot, it won't take much.

"And what about Potter if I were to be killed?"

"Since Harry is the one who cast the Heart's Wish nothing would happen except all of your memories would be transferred to him. Severus I think it crucial for Harry to be more protected at school and most importantly when he's staying with his relatives."

All Severus wanted to do was wake up from this nightmare.

"What do you suggest we do, Headmaster?"

"If you were to take over guardianship of Harry, he could be better supervised."

That was the final straw. "Definitely not!" Severus shouted. "I will NOT have that brat make my life even more miserable!"

"My boy, please see reason. If Harry were to be killed by You-Know-Who, we couldn't spare to lose you as well."

That's all the old man cares about, is stopping the Dark Lord.

"Do you expect me to take precious Potter home with me for the holidays and bake him Christmas cookies as well?" Severus sneered.

Dumbledore's eyes twinkled slightly at the thought of Severus baking cookies.

"While that is not a bad idea Severus, I don't see a different option. Harry needs protection." He said becoming serious again.

Severus knew he was trapped. Pinching the bridge of his nose, Severus sighed, "When will this be in effect?"

"Immediately. First thing tomorrow we will inform Mr. Potter of the arrangements. Things will go on as normal, Severus. Harry will still stay in the Gryffindor dormitory and you'll still be his professor. Once the winter holidays get closer will we then discuss where Harry will be staying. The Dursely's guardianship will be handed over to you but their blood wards will remain active."

Severus's only reply was to bid the headmaster goodnight. He walked down to his quarters in the dungeons for a much needed glass of spiced rum.

                                       **************************************

Harry was summoned to the headmaster's office after breakfast. He told Ron and Hermione about Snape fighting the Death Eater and the dark blue mist he conjured.

"What do you think it means, Harry?" Ron asked, mindful enough to swallow his food first.

"No idea Ron," Harry answered.

"Well it's obvious that's the reason Professor Dumbledore wants to see Harry," Hermione added.

"I'll let you know when I get back. I still have to practice quidditch today so I best go now." Harry got up and made his way to Professor Dumbledore's office.

**************************************

"Ah, Harry, so nice to see you again, my boy," Dumbledore smiled and made a gesture for Harry to sit in an empty chair. Snape was occupying the other one.

"I suppose you are wondering why I summoned you?"

"Yes, sir."

"I'll get to the point. Harry, that mist you told me about last night came from a spell you cast. It's called a Heart's Wish and you cast it by unknowingly wishing for someone that needed you."

The professor paused.

Continuing he said, "That someone is Professor Snape, according to your heart. He is now bound by it until he fulfills your wish. If something terrible happens to you, then Professor Snape would be hurt as well. Do you understand so far, Harry?" The headmaster didn't want to completely scare the boy by telling him about the death part.

Harry tentatively replied with a "Yes, sir."

"Good. Now Professor Trelawney informed me that since the mist was a dark blue, your aura indicates fear of the future. Which is to be expected."

Dumbledore looked at Professor Snape.

"There is another small fact I forgot to mention last night. After twelve hours of casting a Heart's Wish, an ancient rune symbol appears above both person's hearts."

Well that's the icing on the cake. I now have a heart tattoo to go with the spell. I'm going to kill you Potter!

Scowl deepening and eyes darkening, Severus bit his tongue to keep from saying that aloud.

Turning back to Harry, Dumbledore finally came to the point, "To take extra precautions from harm befalling you, Professor Snape has agreed to become your guardian."

Severus rolled his eyes in response.

Harry couldn't believe what he was hearing! Snape? My guardian? No! No! No!

This couldn't be true! Snape hated Harry as much as Harry hated Snape. If not more.

Harry sat on the edge of his chair ready to inform Professor Dumbledore of that small bit of information, but a withering glare from Snape made him sit back. He just nodded dejectedly instead.

"Harry I know this is a lot to take in right now. But nothing will be different at school. We will discuss the holiday breaks as they get closer."

"Why don't you take some time alone to mull everything over, Harry?" Dumbledore said in a gentle voice.

With a look of disbelief and confusion on his face, Harry replied with another "Yes, sir" and followed Snape out.

**************************************

"Potter. Follow me," Snape said sharply.

Harry followed the potions teacher down to his office.

Once inside, Snape bent his face close to Harry's and hissed vehemently, "I'm warning you now Potter, don't you dare breath a word of our ‘condition' to anyone!"

"I promise I won't, sir."

"You'll rue the day you were born if that promise is broken!"

Snape straightened and added coldly, "The less I'm reminded of your pathetic existence the better. You will serve your detention next Friday."

I wouldn't call surviving the Dark Lord a pathetic existence, greasy bastard!

The professor stretched a long, slender finger towards the door. "Out."

Harry chose to keep his comment to himself and retreated out of the office.

**************************************

Harry was eager to start practicing with the snitch. Last night was as overwhelmingly long as today was turning out to be. He had a feeling the days to come would not be so different.

Snape being his guardian hadn't fully sunken in yet. Neither did the thought of how much his life had been changed by that single wish.

Sighing, Harry released the snitch and climbed onto his broom, thankful for the thrill of flying to clear his mind.

**************************************

Severus sighed and sat down at his desk. As much as he didn't want to lose brain cells by grading potions homework, it would help to take his thoughts elsewhere.

Lifting his quill to the inkwell, Severus remembered what Dumbledore had said earlier. He stood up suddenly and removed his robes and shirt. There, above his heart, was a dark blue Nauthiz symbol. It looked like a lowercase ‘t' with the cross line at an angle.

Severus recognized the symbol at once. This couldn't be right. What conflicts would cause Potter to be deprived but self-reliant with the power to overcome them? Surely the brat had his relatives groveling at his feet!

To be continued...
End Notes:
Another big thank you to Lily Elizabeth Snape for beta-ing my story! Also a big thank you for reading the story and to the users who left reviews!

The following websites have full credit for any info used in my story that was taken from them:

Flipendo spell source:

http://www.pojo.com/harrypotter/spelist.shtml

Aura colors and meanings source:

http://www.reiki-for-holistic-health.com/auracolormeanings.html

Ancient Rune symbols and meanings source:

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/meanings.html
Chapter 4 by myAkela

Harry moaned, rolled onto his side, and curled into a ball as he was thrown into another dream.

Thick, fluffy snowflakes danced and swirled around Harry as they made their journey to the ground. All that could be seen was white and gray. White land that stretched into a white horizon to meet the gray sky. The scene would normally be described as serene, but an eerie feeling made Harry shiver. The atmosphere was very still. Too still. He craned his neck hoping to hear a noise of something, anything. Not even a slight breeze whispered past his ear. Harry stopped walking as he suddenly realized something. Despite the vanishing cloud of breath coming from his mouth, he was not cold. No gooseflesh crawled up his arms even though he was wearing a t-shirt.

At once, a strong gust of wind barreled into Harry almost knocking him to the ground. The wind started whipping snow into his face. He shut his eyes and dropped his face down to protect it from the pin prick-like sting. Suddenly everything around him started spinning. Faster and faster until Harry thought he would be sick. Just as he was about to fall to his knees, the spinning stopped.

Now Harry was standing in total darkness. Blinking a few times to adjust his eyes, he could see the glow of a streetlight. Desperately wanting to be in the light, Harry trudged through the thick blanket of snow towards it. His shoes crunching as they packed down the snow. Standing underneath the streetlight, Harry wasn't sure what to do. He certainly did not want to leave the false security of the light.

The crunch of a shoe made Harry jerk to his right. The slow, methodic footsteps became louder as they got closer to the light. A face suddenly appeared through the snowflakes. Startled, Harry into jumped a step back. A red, flabby face stared back at him.

"Uncle Vernon?" Harry said uncertainly.

"Lazy boy! I didn't send you out here to dilly-dally around! Get back to shoveling!" The man shouted furiously.

Harry was confused.

"I-I-I d-don't know wha-what you're talking a-about, Uncle Vernon," he stammered.

Vernon became enraged and took a step closer to Harry.

"Ignorant whelp! Think you can talk back to me, do you? Well I'll show you!"

Harry instinctively brought his arms up to his face.

"Potter!"

Harry dropped his arms to reveal a man in black robes staring stonily at him with black eyes.

"You insufferable brat! Arrogant like your father! Always getting into trouble just like him!" The man's sharp voice filled with disgust.

Before Harry could reply, the person vanished.

Once again, Harry was alone staring out into the inky night.

"Haaarrrry."

The soft hiss made the hair prickle on the back of Harry's neck. Sucking in his breath, Harry froze in fear waiting for something to happen. After what seemed like an eternity, nothing did. He slowly turned around hoping only blackness would greet him. Instead, gleaming, red eyes were coming towards Harry. He noticed the eyes were getting larger as they came at him. Harry stood rooted to the spot. He was entranced in those eyes and couldn't force himself to turn and run. The eyes blended together to become a red stone glinting dully in the yellowish light. Harry outstretched his hands to catch it, but just as it was about to touch his fingertips, the stone vanished.

**************************************

 

Harry sat up in bed breathing rapidly, a sheen of cold sweat covering his body. The dream was the same as it had been the last two weeks. It always ended the same. The stone was never caught. Harry didn't pay much mind to the stone though. It was the red eyes that he couldn't get his mind off of. They were nothing he had ever seen before, that's what made them so scary. Then there was the voice. The mechanical voice eerily whispering his name.

Who was it?

Harry knew the first man was always Uncle Vernon, then Snape. Both people he knew, but then...the man with the red eyes. Someone, or something. Whoever they belonged to, could not be human. He would surely remember those red eyes. It was certainly a dream he didn't want to have anymore.

Harry got out of bed and made his way downstairs to sit by the warm fire in the common room. So much for sleep. Again.

"Good thing tomorrow's Saturday," he mumbled.

But if only he had a vial of Pleasant Dream Draught.

 

**************************************

"Are you sure you don't want to go to the hospital wing?" Hermione asked for the third time.

"You look ill."

"No Hermione. I'm fine. Really," came Harry's exasperated reply.

Ron shot Hermione a worried glance. The dark circles and pale complexion didn't go unnoticed. Choosing not to upset Harry, since he seemed edgy as of late, Ron continued eating his breakfast. Maybe he could get out of Harry what was bothering him in the common room. Later this evening.

Hermione stood up saying, "I'm going to the library to get started on our double essay for Potions."

She fixed Ron and Harry with 'the look'.

"I suggest you two do the same. We also have a paper due for Professor Binns and Transfiguration."

With that, she strode out of the Great Hall.

"Yeah, maybe I should go to the library too," Harry said, distracted in thought, as he too got up.

"Well I suggest we finish breakfast first," Ron grumbled as he shoved a piece of bacon into his mouth and followed Harry out of the Great Hall.

 

**************************************

Harry went straight to the potions section once entering the library. There were so many aisles of books he didn't know where to begin. Deciding on the aisle straight in front of him, Harry looked to his right to reveal books starting with 's'.

"Samples of Complex Potions...Samples of Diagnostic Potions...Samples of Intermediate Potions...Samples of Simple Potions...honestly! This is gonna take forever!" Harry griped to himself.

He skipped down a few rows and continued tapping the spines of each book as he read them aloud.

"Seed Properties of Elecampane Plant...Seeds: One-Thousand-and-One Uses..."

Harry's finger stopped in midair as his eyes lit up at the book directly in front of him: Seemingly Simple Potions for the Astute Student was scrawled along the spine in a flowing, cursive script. Harry looked around suspiciously as he grabbed the book from it's place. He knew that Pleasant Dream Draught was not made by students until the fifth year so one had to be astute by then. Besides, checking out Bubbling Up Pleasant Dream Draught for the First Time would be too obvious of course.

"Now all I have to do is convince Hermione to help me make this," Harry said as he inspected the worn, leather-bound book in his hands. Hermione knew everything and would certainly be able to brew the potion in no time.

"I hope," Harry added as an afterthought.

**************************************

"Absolutely not! No! No! And for the last time, NO!"

If Harry wasn't so desperate for the potion, he might have been amused at the sight of Hermione. Her hair was frazzled and a light shade of red had creeped into her face. The narrowed eyes and crossed arms only added more to the 'stern mother' look.

"Hermione please! I'm asking you to do me this one favor. I'll do anything to repay it! I swear!" Harry pleaded.

"It's not about you asking me to do a favor or repaying it. You need to go see Madame Pomfrey, Harry. Besides, we would get into so much trouble!"

Harry was not going to give up. He needed that draught in order to be able to stay awake in class, and most importantly, get rid of that damn nightmare! Three times this week Harry had dozed off in his classes. Thankfully all three times were during History of Magic and Professor Binns was to absorbed in his lectures to notice.

"I don't want Madame Pomfrey asking a bunch of questions over a silly dream. Plus, we won't get caught. We could brew the draught tomorrow. Nobody goes up to the Astronomy tower during the day. Especially on a Sunday. That way, we have all day to do it and won't be bothered."

"Harry has a point." Ron added. He would do anything to get his best friend back. If it was only a recurring nightmare that kept Harry from sleeping, then Ron figured the advantages far outweighed the risks. Madame Pomfrey was too nosy for her own good afterall.

Hermione knew she had been beaten. With a loud, exaggerated sigh, she said, "Alright. I'll help brew the potion, but just this once. If this dream keeps happening after a week, then you need to go to Madame Pomfrey. Or I will."

Harry grinned and threw his arms around Hermione in a big hug.

"Thank you Hermione! Now let's see what we're up against." Harry stated as he started flipping through the pages of Seemingly Simple Potions for the Astute Student.

At last Harry found the Pleasant Dream Draught's instructions and ingredients:

3 Drops of Bile from a Castrated Boar

1 Valerian Root

4 Leaves from Melissa officinalis plant

1 Strand of Red Hair from the Tail of a Faun

With a cauldron filled three-quarters of the way with water, place over a fire and let it remain until it boils. Dice the Valerian root into very fine pieces and add to the cauldron. Stir slowly but constantly clockwise for five minutes. Next, add the four Melissa officinalis leaves whole. Now you must wait until the leaves arrange themselves into a four-pointed star. Instantly add the three drops of bile and stir counterclockwise five times. The liquid should be a dark green. Drop in the faun hair. If it lights on fire as it dissolves, you have succeeded in making an acceptable Pleasant Dream Draught. Strain into a vial and tightly seal with a stopper.

 

 

"Snape should have all these ingredients in his storeroom," Harry said.

Hermione raised a questioning eyebrow as she asked, "And just how do you plan on collecting those ingredients?"

"Well, Snape always makes a big batch of sleeping draught for Madame Pomfrey on Sundays. He can't carry all of those borgalups at once, now can he? The seventh year Ravenclaw, Silas Skewlip, is studying to be a potions master and helps Snape make the draught in the classroom. Since the classroom is in the dungeons, and the storeroom one level up, I will have enough time to grab the four vials. You know Snape. Everything will be in alphabetical order."

Harry's face was bright with his excitement at the ingenious plan.

Looking at Ron, he continued, "I just need Ron to make sure Silas is in the classroom setting up the cauldrons and preparing other ingredients. Hermione and I will wear my invisibility cloak in the dungeons to wait for Snape to make the first trip. Hermione will then alert me if he comes back. "

"You've certainly gave this a lot of thought, Harry."

Ron and Harry grinned at each other as Hermione just shook her head.

 

**************************************

Harry paced back and forth in front of his bed. It was Sunday and he had used the last of the Pleasant Dream Draught last night. There was no way he could ask Hermione to make more.

Think Harry! Think!

He was surprised at how well the plan played out last week. Professor Snape didn't even notice supplies were missing from the storeroom!

Thats it! I can grab more vials! It's Sunday!

Harry folded his invisibility cloak and stuffed it in his jeans pocket. With that, he left for the dungeons.

Stopping a few feet from the Potions' classroom door, he could hear Silas and Snape talking and a pungent odor hung in the hallway . The tension began to build again in Harry's chest. He was too late to get the ingredients from the storeroom. Professor Snape had already begun brewing the sleeping draught.

Wouldn't hurt to try. Harry thought to himself.

He trudged up the stairs and walked down the hallway to where the professor's storeroom was located. Sighing in relief at the empty hallway, Harry stopped in front of the door. He slowly turned the doorknob. A soft click was heard. Snape forgot to lock it!

Harry couldn't believe it! He threw his cloak around himself and went into the storeroom, leaving the door ajar slightly.

Unbeknownst to Harry, he wasn't alone. A blonde haired boy sneered from around the corner as he watched Harry put on his invisibility cloak and open the door.

**************************************

"The potion turned out satisfactorily, Skewlip," Severus Snape said to the younger wizard with a nod.

Silas smiled as he wiped the sweat from his forehead. That was the best compliment he had received from the Potions Master.

Suddenly a voice called out from the doorway, "Professor Snape, sir, I think you left the potions storeroom door open."

Severus smirked. He had noticed a few vials pushed aside on the shelves last Sunday. After setting them straight, had he then noticed a few missing ingredients. Assuming that the culprit would want more, Severus left the storeroom unlocked today. His assumptions had been right.

"Silas, start transferring the potion into vials. Mr. Malfoy, you may be on your way," Severus instructed as he strode from the room.

**************************************

Once inside, Harry immediately started searching for the needed vials. Except there was a problem. The ingredients had been rearranged and alphabetized in columns instead of rows.

"C'mon!" He whispered aloud as he pushed aside vials in frustration. The invisibility cloak slid to floor from the movements.

"I think an explanation as to your unauthorized presence in my storeroom is in order, Mr. Potter," A silky voice said behind Harry, making him jump.

A large hand suddenly grasped his shoulder and spun him around. Snape's black eyes flashed with anger as they pierced Harry's green ones. He suddenly found the scuff marks on his shoes to be very interesting.

"I am waiting, Potter."

The professor's voice was low and quiet.

Harry still refused to answer. He wasn't about to tell the professor he had been having bad dreams. Snape belittled him enough, no need to add further embarrassment on himself.

Interactions between the professor and Harry were nonexistent outside of the classroom. Harry had taken extra precautions to avoid detentions with him. Since the man had gained guardianship over him, Harry wanted even less to do with the professor. So much for that now.

"You have tried my patience, Potter. Come with me," Snape said in clipped tones.

Harry looked up with wide eyes at him. Before he could even think, "No!" just came out automatically.

The professor turned around and bent his face within inches of Harry's own. "Not only am I your professor, but also your guardian. You will obey me, Potter," He hissed.

Snape reached out and grabbed Harry's shoulder once again in a vice-like grip, moving him forward.

Before he knew it, they were in the dungeons at Snape's private quarters. Harry was slightly confused. He had never been to the professor's private quarters before. Actually, he never really thought of Snape having one.

 

The first room to greet them was an area that seemed to serve as an office. There was a desk table and chair in one corner. Books lined the walls on both sides of it. A black couch with matching chairs was arranged by the fireplace, with a green rug in the middle. The room had a comfortable atmosphere that surprised Harry.

The scrape of a chair quickly brought his mind back. Snape had placed a hard-backed, wooden chair in front of the desk. He watched as Snape removed his teaching robes and rolled the sleeves up on his black, button up shirt.

"I do not tolerate thievery, Mr. Potter. Did you take ingredients from the storeroom last Sunday?" Snape asked as he went around to the desk and opened a drawer.

Harry nodded.

"When I ask a question, I expect it to be answered. Verbally."

"Yes, sir," Harry said quietly.

He then saw what the professor had received from the desk drawer. Harry put everything together and started backing up towards the door.

 

**************************************

Severus laid the ruler on the desk. He had always reveled in the idea of the bratbeing punished for his disobedience. Some of those feelings he knew were to extract revenge on his school tormentor; James Potter. The boy was looking at him with fear instead of his usual arrogant look. Good. The brat should be afraid.

Severus was going to teach Potter that there are consequences for his actions.

"Mr. Potter, you need to learn to be accountable for your actions. The headmaster may dote on you and turn a blind eye to your disobedience, but I simply will not. Your days of delinquency are coming to an end. Now, come here."

The boy just shook his head from side to side and continued moving towards the door. Severus pinched the bridge of his nose. Of course this wasn't going to be easy. Nothing ever was where Potter was concerned.

In three long strides, Severus reached him and made to grasp the boy's wrist but hesitated slightly when he flinched. Severus grabbed the small wrist more slowly and pulled Potter over to the chair and sat down, dragging Potter across his lap.

"Let me go! You have no right to do this! Please!" Potter shouted hysterically. He tried to wriggle off of Severus's lap but he held him firmly around the boy's torso.

"Stop the theatrics, Potter. I'm only going to give you a spanking, not skin you alive," Severus said as he picked up the ruler and delivered the first smack across the upturned bottom. Potter began crying after the fourth smack..

"Please, professor! I'm sorry!" He pleaded through his hiccups.

Severus delivered the last two smacks and put the ruler back on the desk. He let the boy cry some more over his lap before straightening him up. Severus conjured up a tissue and handed it out to the red faced boy.

Instead of taking it, Potter turned around made a bolt for the door. Severus grabbed his wand and locked the door.

"We are not finished, Mr. Potter. You still have some explaining to do."

"Iwashavingabaddream," The boy mumbled with his head against the door.

"Speak clearly, Potter. And turn around," Severus said.

"I needed the ingredients to make a Pleasant Dream Draught. I've been having the same nightmare for three weeks," Potter looked down as he said this.

The last thing Severus wanted to do was solve the woes of children. That was more Poppy's job or Minerva's. He wasn't the coddling type.

"So you entered my storeroom without permission, twice I may add, stole ingredients, and then made a draught outside of class? Do you know how dangerous a potion can be if you don't make it right? Some more than others. That's why I have students learn in it their fifth year! Not first year!" Severus raised his voice with the last part. How incredulous of the boy!

Potter visibly recoiled once again. What is wrong with the boy?

"Potter go sit on the couch. We'll discuss this...dream," Severus instructed as he seen Potter's eyes widen in fear again. He didn't want the boy to think he was going to be punished again.

**************************************

Harry gingerly lowered himself on the couch. His backside hurt from the spanking he had received. He was still in a bit of shock from the whole ordeal. The professor had not been cruel, though. Snape could have done any number of horrible things as Harry assumed he wanted to. Not to say Harry wasn't humiliated but he expected a far worse punishment.

Professor Snape moved one of the chairs around so he sat facing Harry.

"Now, tell me about this recurring nightmare."

Harry went on and explained the dream.

"It always ends the same. The first person is always Uncle Vernon, then you, then someone with red eyes. The eyes get closer and closer and then turn into a red stone. Then I wake up before catching it."

The professor was lost in thought. Suddenly, he stood up from the chair and went into another room. He returned carrying a vial with dark green liquid inside.

"Here is a vial of Pleasant Dream Draught for tonight. Go straight to your dormitory." Snape said handing Harry the vial. "Do no linger in the halls," He added sternly.

"What does the dream mean, Professor?" Harry said.

"I will speak to the Headmaster about it. Do not concern yourself with it. I hope next time you will think about your actions before executing them."

"Yes, sir." Harry replied as he turned to leave.

Harry was thankful the dorm room was empty. It was late in the evening, but too early for the students to be going to bed yet. He would think of something to tell Ron and Hermione about his absence. There were some things you just kept to yourself.

**************************************

Severus sat back down in the chair staring intently into the flames leaping in the fireplace. He didn't feel any joy in giving the Potter boy a few smacks as he thought he would. It was well deserved, but the image of Potter's hysterics and flinching from him weighed heavily on his mind. Severus may be stern and a bit mean with his words at times, but he would never harm a student. He knew firsthand about living in fear. Did Potter as well?

Severus had almost forgotten about the dream. Standing up quickly, he left the room and made his way to the Dumbledore's office.

"Shrieking Snarkle," He mumbled to the gargoyle.

"Ah, Severus, my boy have a seat," The Headmaster grinned as he walked in.

"I have some troubled news, Headmaster," Severus said shaking his head in refusal of the offered chair.

"I believe the Dark Lord may have gained access to Potter's mind."

"That is troubled news indeed, Severus."

The smile now gone from Dumbledore's face.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I'm having a hard time writing this story so am contemplating whether or not to continue. It just doesn't seem to go together like I had thought. Thank you for reading and feel free to leave(or email)suggestions.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1941