Divergence by JAWorley
Summary: Harry Potter starts Hogwarts with high hopes of finding himself a real family, and holds tightly to this hope despite the torture his new Potion's Master seems intent on putting him through. Can Harry's hope hold out long enough to see his dream through?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, McGonagall, Other, Percy, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape's a Bully, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Cruel, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Neglect, Profanity, Torture, Violence
Prompts: Breaking the Brat
Challenges: Breaking the Brat
Series: JAWorley's Challenges
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 62919 Read: 288785 Published: 23 Sep 2009 Updated: 24 Sep 2015
Snow Drift by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
We have hit the hundred page mark in Microsoft Word with this chapter!
Harry's proclamation of, "I know what it's hiding," the next day was enough to draw Ron and Hermione away from the sight of a new three feet of snow out on the grounds. The whole castle had been gawking at the amount of snow that had fallen since morning. True, Christmas was coming fast, but even Fred and George had said that they'd never seen it snow this much in one day.

"How do you know?" Ron asked as he and Hermione stepped away from the window near the top of Gryffindor tower and looked at Harry standing a little ways down the staircase.

"My da- I mean, Snape told me... on accident," he added at Hermione's shocked look. "I let him think I hadn't noticed when he let it slip. Come on." He motioned for them to follow him and they went to the empty first year boys dormitory. Dean and Seamus were outside making tunnels in the snow, and Neville was trying to catch up on homework down in the common room.

"Well, are you going to tell us?" Hermione asked a little too excitedly as she sat down on Harry's bed.

"It's a sorcerer's stone, whatever that is."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Oh Harry, I thought you were being serious."

"I am!" he said earnestly. "I was telling him about my dreams about my attacker because we were trying to figure out more facts about him, and he said my mind was telling me little things about him through my dreams. So I told him a bunch of dreams, and one of them was when I was with Hagrid and Hagrid was taking something tiny and top secret from a vault in Gringotts. And then he said my attacker has something to do with the sorcerer's stone. So then I thought, that since Hagrid was bringing this thing, whatever it is to Hogwarts for safekeeping, then Fluffy must be guarding it under that trapdoor, because what else would that thing be protecting?"

"This is big Harry," Ron said. "My brother Bill told me about a sorcerer's stone once. "It can make the elixir of life and can give you long life and lots of gold."

"Wait a minute," Hermione said, holding up her hand. "That's right, it can make you live forever, just like unicorn blood."

"What?" Harry asked.

"Unicorn blood Harry. If you drink it you can't die, but you have to keep drinking it, and every time you drink it you lose a little part of your soul. But when you drink the elixir from the stone you just get life without losing your soul. Don't you see? There was that break in at Gringotts where somebody tried to take whatever was in that vault that Hagrid emptied, and then something shows up drinking unicorn blood.... They're going to go after the stone Harry. It's here at Hogwarts and they're going to take it."

"And they want to kill me," Harry added, realization dawning on him. Whoever drank the blood and chased him through the forest was the same one attacking him in the castle. Hermione nodded solemnly and Ron shook his head.

"Nah Harry, it couldn't be."

"But it is. My d- I mean, Snape said the attacker wanted the stone. If they get it they'll be trying to kill me forever."

"Not good mate," Ron shook his head.

"We have to tell the Headmaster, or McGongall," Hermione said.

"I don't think we have to," said Harry. "I mean, Professor Snape made the connection, I'm sure he'll tell them."

"But what if he doesn't? He's Snape! Think about it Harry, what does he care?" Ron said.

Harry was biting his lip now and clenching his fists. What did Ron mean he didn't care? Snape cared enough to protect him! He would have to protect the stone too! He wasn't evil after all!

"Stop talking bad about him Ron," Harry said plainly.

Surprised, Ron looked up at his friend. "What? You hate him Harry, don't forget that. Remember all he did to you?"

"I remember all he's done for me now."

"Only because Dumbledore made him."

"Ron-" Hermione tried to stop him, seeing that he was upsetting Harry, but Ron ignored her.

"He didn't make him do anything!" Harry said, almost shouting now.

Ron looked stunned. "Harry, what's the big deal?" The air was thick and quiet hung between them and Harry could tell that Ron didn't understand. As much as Harry wanted him to know everything, he couldn't, and would never be able to, not like Snape understood.

"Just stop acting like he's the worst thing in the world Ron," Harry said, and turned and left.

Ron held up his hands to Hermione, as if to ask, ‘what did I do?' but she rolled her eyes.

"Boys are so stupid sometimes," she said, and Ron scoffed.

"Oh yeah? Then you tell me what I did wrong!"

"You just told Harry that his father only adopted him because he had to do it, not because he wanted to do it. That's like telling Harry all over again that nobody wants him, and they only take care of him because they have to."

"But that's what happened Hermione. I know he doesn't want to believe it, but that's the way it worked out. Snape hates him, Snape hated his dad, and Snape hates everything Gryffindor. What would possess him to adopt one unless he was forced to?" Ron lowered his voice and came closer to Hermione so that nobody would hear, even though there was nobody around. "My dad told me Snape used to be in line with you-know-who. Said he was his right hand man at one point. Just think what that means Hermione. You-know-who hated Harry enough to kill him, and here's his death eater right there with legal control over Harry. Don't tell me you don't think there might be something going on there. Snape's always there when there's an attack."

"But that's because of the Agrius charm-"

"Even before that Hermione."

Hermione sighed. "Ron, you know what Harry said about his relatives. We don't know how bad they treated him, but they did. Don't you think he would be a good judge of character? If he's sticking up for Professor Snape, then he must be nicer then Harry's other family. That's worth something. To Harry it's probably worth a lot. Maybe we just don't understand because we always had parents that were good to us."

Ron slouched a little. "I just don't want anything to happen... you know. Look how many times he's been attacked already."

"I know, but for now maybe we should just go along with him on this one. He knows what his situation is better than we do."

"And I know Harry better than you do. He doesn't tell people things, or else he wouldn't have walked around for three days with a concussion."

"Just watch things Ron, and don't interfere for a little while."

"Fine, but if that greasy git does something to him..." he cursed, and Hermione shot him a dirty look.

Outside Harry slouched against the door as their conversation ended. Snape had been a death eater? Then maybe Ron had hit the issue right on the nose, and Snape had only taken him on because he had to, or because he wanted to find a way to repay Harry in the end for getting rid of Voldemort. He blew air up at his bangs and hurried down the stairs and out of the tower.

* * *

It continued to snow for three days, each day dumping at least three feet on the ground. Mid-way through the second day Hagrid moved into the castle with Fang to a guest room by the kitchens, and Herbology and care of magical creatures classes had been canceled. Nobody had seen much of Harry except in classes, and he wasn't talking to Ron or Hermione. He had made it a point to stay out of danger so that he wouldn't have to see his death eater guardian. In fact, he had made it a point to be as small, and invisible as possible, hiding in hidden corridors, or in the back corners of the library. He even slept in the secret room that Snape had once found him in after an attack, and because Ron and Hermione assumed he was sleeping in the Dungeons, nobody came looking for him.

Harry heard snippets of conversations in the halls between classes, and it seemed like Christmas was going to be cancelled this year.

"I heard Professor Flitwick talking to Professor Sinistra," an older Ravenclaw was telling his friends in the hall as Harry passed. "Seems like there's so much snow that nobody will be able to get down to the train to go home Friday."

"I heard it's only snowing here. My family only lives a few towns away and its dry as can be there."

"I heard-"

"I heard-"

Everybody was talking about it, but Harry didn't care. If nobody got to go home for Christmas, then he wouldn't be there alone in the castle with Snape and his attacker... or were they one in the same? Harry was tired, and he couldn't tell anymore. It was like old times sleeping in a cramped little room with no light and no bed. He had stuffed a blanket in his bag on the second night, but it made little difference in way of comfort.

Finally on Thursday afternoon, word came in Transfiguration class that they would be opening up the floo network in the Great Hall and sending students and their belongings home one at a time starting that evening, because it would take two or three days to empty the castle that way.

"Well, at least that takes care of the seven hour train ride," Ron said happily to Dean after class.

"My mum doesn't have a floo fireplace, I guess I'll have to floo to the train station like some of the others and get picked up there."

Ron shrugged. "That's still better than the long train ride."

Harry tuned out of the conversation and headed to the kitchens to find something to eat. He didn't feel much like sitting in the Great Hall and listening to talk of everybody going home to loving non-death eater family for the holidays... family who wanted them. The kitchen elves were more than happy to give Harry a sandwich and some juice, which he took with him to his dark hideaway. Somehow a dark, cramped, cold space made him feel at ease. Nothing could get him in his cupboard at home, because nobody was small enough to climb inside and get in but him. Sometimes he had avoided beatings this way, by climbing all the way into the back, where not even Dudley could fit inside to get him. This new room wasn't as small, but still gave him the same sense of security. Maybe he could just hide here for the next two weeks, and since he'd be in no danger, then Snape wouldn't be able to find him. Not the ideal Christmas, but the safe one, Harry decided.

He left the room after eating and went back to his dormitory to gather a pillow and some books, as well as the self charging flashlight Ron had given him at the beginning of the term. On his way out he heard Fred reading off the list of names in the common room of who would be going home when. First years were scheduled to go home first, but since Ron had three older brothers there, he would go home with them on Saturday evening.

"I'm going home tonight," Hermione told him when she bumped into him just outside the secret tunnel, which lead to his room.

"I know," Harry said. "Have fun."

"I will." She gave him a hug and said, "And don't worry about Ron. He doesn't know what he's talking about."

Harry shrugged. "Don't worry about it. Just have a good Christmas. I'll see you when you get back." He tried to give her a smile, but it wasn't very convincing, and she nodded and hurried off to pack her things. Harry snuck into his secret room and settled in for the long haul.

* * *

Severus Snape was in a panic. It wasn't often, if ever, that anyone could say that about him, but the older students who were still in the castle definitely classified him as such when they saw him racing down the hallways, hair a little disheveled as he looked around every corner and behind every suit of armor for whatever it was that he had lost.

"Wonder what that's about," a seventh year Slytherin commented. His friends shrugged, and they quickly forgot about it. Things weren't as simple for the Potion's Master however.

How could he have lost his ward? Yes, the castle was big, but still! Had he gone home through the floo? Had he been attacked and the magic bond between them failed? Was he laying dead somewhere, or dying? The fact that he might be hiding had not yet crossed his mind as he searched every part of the castle in a rush to find him before the last of the students that were going home for Christmas departed.

The remaining Gryffindors were startled and surprised when their Potion's Master burst into their common room Saturday afternoon. Severus spotted Ron in a corner by himself and went straight over to him.

"Where is he?" He asked in a low tone, still aware that nobody else was supposed to know that he cared about Harry Potter at all.

"What?" Ron looked up, confused.

"Harry, where is he?"

"What do you mean? He's with you! He has been for the last five days!"

Severus paled. "You haven't seen him for five days and you didn't tell anybody!?"

"No, I mean, I've seen him around, but he hasn't been sleeping here. We thought he was with you. He's mad and he hasn't been talking..."

"Where would he go?"

"I don't know-" Ron trailed off, unable to finish because Snape was already walking away and back out the portrait hole.

Fred shot Ron a questioning look from by the fire, but Ron only shrugged, and pondered that the man who had just accosted him had so much worry etched on his face. Only somebody who cared about Harry would wear that look around and come busting into Gryffindor common room...

Severus continued to search for another half an hour before he remembered where he had once found Harry hiding from his invisible attacker.

Harry was so startled when the door to his dark room burst open that he knocked his flashlight over and dove to the other corner of the small cramped space, shielding himself from the impending murderous rampage sure to happen to him. Severus too was startled by the commotion in the small space and waited a moment before he lit his wand and stepped down into the room.

"No!" Harry shouted, flailing his arms around in the darkness, not realizing it was only his guardian.

"Harry, it's only me, it's only me." Severus said, panic rising up in him thinking that perhaps Harry had been attacked again and was hurt.

Harry stopped flailing and stared into the semi lit room and tried not to look into his guardian's eyes.

"Are you hurt?" Snape asked.

"No," came Harry's low reply.

"What are you doing in here?"

Harry didn't answer. How did he tell his guardian without getting himself killed that he was hiding because he didn't want his death eater father to find him and turn him into potion's ingredients.

"Harry?"

"What!" Harry half spat, being panicked, stressed, and a little frightened at the situation. Snape could kill him here and now and nobody would ever find him. Ron had been right.

"I asked you a question," Severus said levelly, still unsure of what was going on with his fragile charge.

"I can't answer."

"Why?"

"Because I can't ok, can't you just leave me alone?"

"No. Your friend said you haven't been sleeping in Gryffindor all week. I've been turning the castle upside down worried sick looking for you because I thought something had happened to you or that you'd gone home through the floo. And now I've found you and I think I deserve an answer."

"Why do you care?" Harry suddenly sat up straighter and pointed at him with indignation. "You don't care about me! You don't want me anyway! Unless you just want to kill me because I got rid of your master!"

Well, that certainly wasn't what he was expecting from the boy. Some kind of admission of guilt for doing something wrong maybe, or something else, what he didn't know, but not this.

"I have already told you, I am not a puppet. Nobody forces me to do anything. You are under the misguided impression that I only protect you because I have to. Or you are under the impression that I have intent to harm you after all the times I have saved you from certain death. You cannot believe both things, so make up your mind so I can deal with whatever you choose."

He had said this all in a very calm, matter of fact voice, and it unsettled Harry. Either everything he had believed in was false, and his guardian really did want him, which was scary in itself because nobody had ever wanted him, and he didn't know what that meant, or he was being lied to again.

"Well?" He had his arms crossed.

"I don't know."

"Then tell me what has brought on these assumptions of yours?"

Harry bit his lip. "You were a death eater."

"And?"

"And Voldemort's right hand man?"

Severus sighed. "I was a spy for Albus Dumbledore until the Dark Lord's demise. You can ask him any time you like. That is why I am not in Azkaban, the wizarding prison," he added at Harry's confused look. "If I were really in line with him I would be under lock and key along with the other loyal followers there. And I think I have proven to you not only that I am not interested in hurting you, but that I am consistently there to protect you from whatever harm may befall you. As to the assumption that I don't care about you, I can only tell you to ask half the school who has seen me running around like a chicken with my head cut off searching for you. If I only did this because I was being forced to, then I can guarantee I would not put in half the effort I have to make you feel comfortable around me.

Harry felt drained suddenly and emotionally exhausted from these revelations. He didn't know if he wanted to cry or jump for joy, or explode with it all.

"Dad?"

There was silence for a few moments as Severus thought on that term, and then accepted it. "Yes?"

Something caught in Harry's chest and made him feel like he couldn't breathe. "Can we go home now?"

"Yes." Severus helped him up and waved his wand at Harry's small stack of books, pillow, and blanket, which shrank and zoomed into his pant pocket. He helped his weak charge out of the cramped room and down the cramped corridor, and then down to the dungeons. Severus deposited his son on the couch before he went to the boy's room and unshrank his belongings and placed them on his bed.

Harry rubbed his eye as he considered that this was the first time he'd been allowed in the living room. Before now he'd been told to stick to his room and the bathroom and to touch nothing else. It was nice to finally be allowed to think of someplace other than a cupboard as home. The couch certainly was more comfortable than the stone floor. Harry closed his eyes, and by the time his father returned, he was already asleep.

Severus covered him with a blanket from the hall closet and crossed his arms. Dealing with an eleven year old boy was very taxing indeed, and he wondered now that the Headmaster had believed him up to it. He wondered that any parent could ever be up to it. Perhaps it would only get easier from here, he tried to tell himself, knowing it was probably a fantasy that would prove untrue.

The End.
End Notes:
Well, what do you think?

By the way, there is new art for the story found at these links:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt133/JATom2/DivergencePromotional3.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt133/JATom2/DivergencePromotional.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt133/JATom2/divergencepromotional2.jpg


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1945