The Apothecary Knows Best by Snapegirl, RaeKelly
Summary: Sev, Lily, and Harry are trying to live as a happy family, running an apothecary in Diagon Alley, after Lily divorced James years before. But James keeps trying to sabotage their relationship out of petty jealousy and tries to get custody of Harry by badmouthing Severus and attempting to ruin his reputation, using all his money and connections to do so. Features a Good! Tom Riddle. An eventually redeemed and de-aged James Potter also. Entrant in the 2009 Prompt Fest. Prompts: Scourgify! and Needle in a Haystack
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: Draco, Eileen Prince, James, Lily, Original Character, Other, Remus, Sirius, .Snape and Harry (required), Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Bashing, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 32 Completed: Yes Word count: 112581 Read: 164919 Published: 19 Nov 2009 Updated: 28 Jan 2012
Teddy Bear Hugs by RaeKelly

Severus and Lily stepped through the Floo into the living room of the Lupin’s cottage. They were planning to leave their children there before crossing the yard to speak to Dora with Andromeda. Dora would be heading to Hogwarts in two weeks and they wanted to prepare her. She may not know the truth about her father’s death, but there would be students at Hogwarts who did. And they thought it best to tell her themselves before someone else could tell her. At least that way they could ensure that she was told the whole truth and not just what other children might have heard.

The only ones in the room when they came through were the children. Teddy and Tessa were sprawled on the floor in front of the big window playing a game and Draco was tucked in between Remus’ recliner and the wall. He was hugging his knees, his grey eyes wide and watery. The twins greeted their godparents, but didn’t get up from the board game they were playing. Harry and Eric hurried over to watch the game.

Rosie wiggled to be put down and toddled over to where Draco was hiding, dragging a teddy bear that was nearly as big as she was. Normally she only slept with her teddy, named Betony, and he stayed in her crib all the time. But she had insisted on bringing Tony with her today.

Draco had hid his face when he saw her coming, loosening his hold on his knees enough that he could tuck his head between his arms.

That didn’t stop the precocious toddler. She dropped her bear and got on her hands and knees next to the boy. She put her face in the little space created by his arm, leg and torso. “D’aco sad?”

Severus and Lily stood back watching their daughter, Lily motioning for Cissy to stay quiet as she entered the room..

Draco just gave a little nod, but didn’t try to move away from the little girl.

Rosie pulled away and grabbed her bear, trying to push him into the space where her face had just occupied. “Tony make better,” she told him.

The four playing under the window turned to watch what was happening in the little space between the wall and the chair.

The small blond boy lifted his head and watched Rosie for a moment before pulling Tony to his chest and wrapping both arms around the bear, hiding his face in the soft fur.

Rosie turned and grinned at her parents. Lily walked over and kissed her daughter’s forehead. “That was very sweet, baby. Can you stay here and play with Draco?” Rosie nodded, moving to sit next to the blond boy, her expression very serious. Lily kissed her sons and followed her husband and Cissy to the front door.

“How’s Remus?” Severus asked Cissy.

She sighed softly. “Not good. He’s having a hard time with this one, Sev.”

“Where is he?”

“In our bed, hopefully sleeping. He was in such pain last night that he could barely sleep.”

Severus nodded. “I’ll go see him before we leave.”

“Thank you,” Cissy told him, sighing. “I’m just…I don’t know what to do. The twins I can handle. I’m used to keep them occupied when he’s not feeling well before or after a transformation. But Draco…Draco still won’t even be in the same room alone with me.”

“Has he said anything at all?”

“Nothing. He’s only just gotten where he’s let Remus get out of arm’s reach, but he has to stay in the same room as Remus. We’re doing what we can, but it’s wearing us both thin.”

Lily exchanged a look with her husband as she hugged her best friend. “Why don’t you let us take Draco tonight?”

“Are you sure, Lil?” Cissy asked. “I don’t mean to seem like I’m complaining…”

“You aren’t dear,” Lily told her. “And yes, I’m sure.”

Severus nodded. “I’ll bring the Wolfsbane here and take Remus out to the farm myself.”

“I can’t thank either of you enough,” Cissy told them both.

“You don’t have to,” Severus told her, squeezing her hand. “We’ll be back soon.” Lily gave her friend another hug and followed her husband across the yard.

Andromeda met them at the door and hugged them both. “Are you sure you’re ready?” she asked Severus. “I could tell her myself if you aren’t.”

He shook his head. “No. It’s time. Past time.”

“Come on then,” she said, leading them into the kitchen where Dora was preparing tea.

“Hello Uncle Sev, Aunt Lily,” the girl greeted the couple. Because they were such close friends to her own aunt and uncle, and had been as much a part of her life as Remus and Cissy, she considered them family as well. “Mum said that you two were coming to tea. Did you leave the kids with Aunt Cissy?”

“Yes we did,” Lily answered, taking a seat at the table. Severus sat next to her and she slipped her hand into his, giving it a comforting squeeze.

Dora placed the tea on the table and sat across from them, next to her mother. “Is something wrong?” she asked them. “Have I done something?”

“No,” Severus replied. “It’s not you.. There is something that we…that I haven’t told you, Dora…about your father.”

“What about Daddy?”

He took a deep breath before answering. “You were too little to understand at the time, and I wish I didn’t have to tell you at all, but there will likely be some other students at Hogwarts who will know…”

“Know what, Uncle Sev?” she asked her, worry evident in her eyes. “Just tell me please.”

“The man that killed your father was my father, Dora.”

“Oh,” she whispered, leaning against her mother who had moved closer and wrapped her arm around her daughter.

“Dora…” he said, taking another deep breath. “I can’t tell you how sorry I am that my father killed yours.” He looked down at his and Lily’s joined hands, unable to look at the girl.

Dora got up and walked around the table, wrapping her arms around his neck. “It wasn’t your fault, Uncle Sev,” she told him, kissing the top of his head. “I don’t blame you. How could I? You aren’t your father.”

“Oh child,” he replied, turning and pulling her into a hug. “Don’t ever change.”

“I won’t,” she told him, looking up at him. “Thank you for telling me. I’d much rather have heard it from family then some kid at school.”

--

“Are you sure?” Cissy asked Severus as he prepared to Floo back to his flat with Rosie and Draco. Lily had gone on a few minutes before with Harry and Eric.

“We’ll be fine, Cissy,” Severus replied. “Draco can sleep in Eric’s bed since he and Rosie seem to be good friends and we’ll put Eric in with Harry.”

“I’m sure Draco would like that. Won’t you dear?” Cissy asked the boy. Draco just nodded, hugging Rosie’s bear in a death grip. She bent down and kissed his brow, pretending not to notice how he shrank back slightly.

“Come Draco,” Severus said, holding his free hand out to the boy, who took it after a moment’s hesitation and followed the man through the Floo.

Once at the Snape flat, Severus put his daughter down. “Why don’t you go show Draco your room, Rosie?” She nodded and toddled down the hall, the blond boy following a few steps behind, glancing around at everything as he went. “I’m going down to the lab,” he told Lily. He just needed a few minutes to think.

Harry waited until Lily was busy setting up an extra bed in his room for Eric before slipping down to the lab. “Da?”

Severus was sitting on a stool at one of his workstations with his head in his hands. “Yes, Harry?”

He walked over to his stepfather. “Da…what’s wrong with Draco?”

The Potions Master sat up and looked down at his son, before lifting the boy up to sit on the table in front of him. “What do you mean, scamp?”

“Well…at my party he stayed in Uncle Remus’ lap the whole time. And today he stayed in the corner just hugging Rosie’s bear. He doesn’t ever speak…well, he did once when Uncle Remus told him to. All he said was ‘hello’.” He had been wondering about this since his party, but hadn’t really seen the other boy too much until today and had had plenty of time to wonder about Draco’s strange behavior.

Severus sighed deeply and brushed the hair off Harry’s brow, placing a quick kiss there. “He’s very scared Harry.” His young stepson had his mother’s compassionate heart and Severus loved him for it.

“What’s he scared of?” Whatever it was, it must have been bad for the blond to act that way.. “And why is he staying with Uncle Remus?”

“You know how Mum and Aunt Tuney are sisters?” Harry nodded. “Well Draco’s mum and Aunt Cissy and Aunt ‘Dromeda are all sisters.”

“Thank makes Draco cousins with Teddy, Tessa and Dora.”

“That’s right Harry. Draco’s mum did something very bad.”

“What did she do?” the boy asked.

Severus hesitated a moment before answering. “His mum killed his da. And Draco saw it.”

“That’s…” Well, he couldn’t really think of a word bad enough. At least not one that wouldn’t get his mouth washed out with soap, and probably a swat besides. “T-that was very bad of her, Da! Why did she do something like that?”

“I don’t know, Harry.” Severus wished he knew the answer to that.

“Is that why Draco is acting all strange?”

“Yes. And he’s having lots of nightmares about it too, because it was so scary.”

Harry nodded, remembering his nightmares after falling off of Buckbeak. “Are you gonna give him some of that potion you made for me?”

“Uncle Remus and Aunt Cissy have been giving him some. But he can’t take it tonight.”

“Oh. Why is Draco here tonight?”

“Because Uncle Remus is sick and Aunt Cissy can’t take care of Draco and Uncle Remus because Draco needs lots of special attention. So he’s going to stay with us tonight.”

“Is Uncle Remus going to be alright?” Harry asked. Uncle Remus was like his da and he was never sick.

“Of course, scamp. I’m going to take him some potions soon,” Severus told him.

Harry was quiet for a moment before looking up at the Potions Master again. “Can I help you make some potions for him?”

Severus chuckled and nodded. “Alright. You can help. Go get your robe.” Harry jumped off the table and hurried over to the hooks on the wall to get the robe he wore while helping in the lab. It had all kinds of special protection charmed into it that helped protect him from spills and burns. He wasn’t allowed to do much in the lab, but he could help stir and fetch ingredients for his da. Sometimes he even got to help prepare ingredients.

--

After Severus helped Remus out to the Lupin farm, which they had started referring to as the Wolf’s Den, he went to check on the kids before heading to bed. He had stayed longer than he had intended, Remus having asked him to stay with him through the transformation and until he went to sleep. He hadn’t wanted to be alone as bad as he had felt going into the change. Without the Wolfsbane, Severus never would have agreed. But the potion tamed the wolf and allowed Lupin to keep his own mind. Once Remus was sleeping, he had left and returned to his flat.

He went first to Harry’s room and to the cot where Eric was sleeping. He tucked the light blanket around his youngest son, dropping a kiss on his forehead. “Sleep well, little snake,” he whispered, rubbing the boy’s back for a moment before moving over to Harry’s bed.

Harry always slept sprawled all over his bed, usually with a limb or two hanging off. Severus moved him back onto the bed and tucked him back in, kissing his brow as well. Severus couldn’t love Harry any more if he was his own son. He reached over and gently stroked Mousekins’ fur. “You take care of my scamp, girl.” Mousekins arched her back into his touch and licked his hand before settling back down to sleep.

He left Harry’s room and walked across the hall to the nursery where Eric and Rosie slept. Lily was sitting in the rocking chair with a sleeping Draco, who was still clutching Rosie’s bear, in her arms. “Have trouble getting him to sleep?” he asked her.

“Not too much,” she told him. “It only took about four lullabies.”

He gave her a quick kiss. “Think I could move him without waking him?”

“I think so,” she said, transferring the sleeping boy into her husband’s arms. Together they tucked him into Eric’s bed. “Sweet dreams, little dragon,” she said, caressing his cheek.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1988