The Apothecary Knows Best by Snapegirl, RaeKelly
Summary: Sev, Lily, and Harry are trying to live as a happy family, running an apothecary in Diagon Alley, after Lily divorced James years before. But James keeps trying to sabotage their relationship out of petty jealousy and tries to get custody of Harry by badmouthing Severus and attempting to ruin his reputation, using all his money and connections to do so. Features a Good! Tom Riddle. An eventually redeemed and de-aged James Potter also. Entrant in the 2009 Prompt Fest. Prompts: Scourgify! and Needle in a Haystack
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: Draco, Eileen Prince, James, Lily, Original Character, Other, Remus, Sirius, .Snape and Harry (required), Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Bashing, Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 32 Completed: Yes Word count: 112581 Read: 164917 Published: 19 Nov 2009 Updated: 28 Jan 2012
Tom's New Son by Snapegirl

James gulped down the swirling blue and white potion, it tasted cool and fruity upon his tongue, like blueberries mixed with strawberries and kiwis thrown in. James had never liked kiwis, but the was an undertone of that flavor beneath the other two and it stung the back of his throat. He swallowed, and the potion flowed down his throat and began to change him, cell by cell, molecule by molecule.

He felt as if he were floating somewhere far above himself, as if he were a feather hovering upon a crosscurrent, he felt the world spin beneath him and reality alter and stretch, spinning backwards. He felt himself tugged and pushed and pulled, pressure squeezing upon him, changing him, returning him to the body and mind of a six-year-old again.

It hurt, he could feel muscles shrink and contract, bones snap and reshape, he fell a long way down a gray tunnel, and something dark and black surged up and snatched away his memory. He screamed, a thin wail of terror, and then he jerked awake.

His hazel eyes swam with tears, and he went to look up and found himself being held in a pair of strong arms, arms encased in the flowing forest green velvet robe with silver trim that only one person he knew had ever worn—the Headmaster of Hogwarts School, Thomas Marvolo Riddle, the man he called father. He whimpered and lifted his head, focusing on the concerned face of his parent eagerly. "Daddy?"

"Hush, son. It's all right, lad. You were having a nightmare." Tom soothed the agitated six-year-old, brushing the dark messy hair back from James' forehead. He shifted the boy on his lap so that he was sitting up against his chest. Then he gave the little boy his small spectacles.

James blinked before he opened his eyes and looked around. He was in familiar territory, his father's office, where he worked running Hogwarts. Normally, he was only allowed in here with his dad, never alone. He yawned, he didn't know why he felt so tired all of a sudden. "I had a scary dream, Daddy. I dreamed that I was bigger and in trouble."

"Did you now?" Tom chuckled. "Why am I not surprised? You and trouble have more than a passing acquaintance, wouldn't you say, Jamie?"

Little James wrinkled his brow in puzzlement. "Dad, what's . . .an acqu . . .acquintus . . .whatever you said . . .what's it mean?"

"It means that you and Trouble know each other very well."

"Oh. I understand." He flashed his guardian a grin. "Guess that's true."

Tom laughed. "Truer words were never spoken." He ruffled the boy's hair affectionately. He continued holding his son, thinking how adorable James Potter looked at this age. His wide hazel eyes right now brimmed with confusion, he had a round face and a snub nose and a stubborn chin. "I heard you yelling from out here and went inside the flat and that was when I found you in bed, all tangled up, having a nightmare. But you're all right now, lad. It was just a dream."

"Okay." James said, and then he smiled. Abruptly, he seemed to remember another time, where he shouted at a tall man in black, and also a red-haired lady in a green dress. He blinked and then the memories were gone.

He looked about the office, which held many shelves of books and other curious objects, things which James knew he wasn't supposed to touch. His favorite was the miniature dragon skeleton hanging from the ceiling. He looked up at his father, and said softly, "M'still tired, Daddy. And I hurt all over."

"Hurt how, Jamie?"

"I just . . .hurt." He sniffled. His arms and legs ached and so did his backside and head. He couldn't explain it and wondered if he had wizard flu.

"Do you hurt anywhere specific or just everywhere?" Tom asked, knowout untiling such exhaustion and aches were a side effect of the de-aging potion.

James shrugged. "I hurt all over."

"I see."Tom rolled his chair about and took a potion from the cabinet behind him. "Here. Drink this, it'll help."

James shook his head firmly. "No! It'll taste yucky!"

Tom pressed the vial against James' lips. "Open, Jamie! Right now," he commanded.

James shook his head.

"James Darius Potter, open your mouth and take this."

James gave in then, knowing that when his dad used all three of his names, he meant business. He opened his mouth.

Tom tipped the potion in, patted him on the back, and James swallowed it. It tasted like sour grapes. "Yuck!" the little boy made a grotesque face.

"You'll recover. Would you like to take a nap?"

The little boy made another face. "A nap? I'm not a baby, Dad! I don't need a nap," he whined annoyingly.

Tom frowned disapprovingly. He had placed certain memories within the de-aged child's mind when he had been undergoing the process, using his finely honed Legilimency talent, so James would not be totally hysterical when he awoke and found himself in his office. James "remembered" that Tom was his guardian and second father, he knew that both his old dad and mum had gone away to heaven and he now lived with Headmaster Riddle as his son. That had happened two weeks ago, according to the implanted memories, and James was still adjusting to Tom's rules. Tom had implanted a few basic rules into the youngster's mind, mostly concerning keeping his little hands off Tom's spellbooks and collectibles in the office. But other than that, James' basic personality and mind were the same as they had been when he originally was six.

"You do if you're hurt and tired, lad," Tom said, somewhat sternly. He knew the potion could take a lot out of you at first and the boy must still be suffering the aftereffects of the drastic change his body had undergone. He stood up, holding James in his arms.

"No! No! Don' wanna a nap!" James howled, squirming.

Tom ignored the boy's protests, walking swiftly through the hidden door and down the short passage to his living quarters. Once inside the spacious combination of living area, dinette, bathroom and bedrooms, he calmly walked over to the couch and sat down upon it. "You, little man, most certainly need a lie down, now stop all this fussing and just close your eyes."

James whined and struggled, but Tom held him firmly, until he settled and put his head down upon his shoulder. The Pain Relieving Potion worked quickly and soon the six-year-old was asleep.

* * * * * *

Not long after James had fallen asleep, Severus and Lily Flooed the Headmaster and asked if he would mind letting them see the de-aged James. "Not at all. Do come over," said Tom cordially.

Moments later, Lily and Severus were stepping through the fireplace. They had left their children with the Lupins for awhile, to allow Harry to play with Tessa and Teddy and Rosie and Eric with Draco. Both Snapes were interested to see what the newly de-aged wizard looked like and wondered if he remembered anything of his former life.

Severus glanced about the office, looking for a small boy. "Where is James? Did the potion work? Does he remember anything as an adult?"

"It did indeed. He's asleep right now. No, he doesn't. He believes he is my surrogate son and I am his father. See for yourself," Tom said, beckoning them into his quarters.

Severus and Lily accompanied him and beheld a small boy sleeping upon the Headmaster's tan couch, his hair sticking up like a crazy quilt, his coal black lashes contrasting sharply with his pale skin. Tom had tucked a hearthstar quilt about him.

Lily stared down at her former husband and couldn't repress a small smile. "He looks so innocent sleeping there, like a little angel."

Severus snorted. "That'll be the day. He might look like an angel, but he's really a holy terror. You'll have your work cut out for you, Tom, reforming the brat."

The Headmaster nodded seriously. "I know, Severus. It won't be easy disciplining him, but I believe I can do an adequate job. Some of my nieces and nephews were spoiled to an extent, but they all learned how to behave when they stayed with their Uncle Tom at Riddle Manor. James . . .or Jamie as I now call him . . .will learn too. Before I de-aged him, I promised him fair and loving discipline, and I mean to keep that promise."

"I'm sure you'll do fine, Tom," said Lily. "You're just what he needs."

"Thank you. I shall announce my new family member before the morning post arrives tomorrow in the Great Hall. Hopefully my staff and the students will collaborate with me to keep my little rascal safe and happy." Then he gave the two apothecaries a speculative glance. "I've been thinking . . .since Harry is the only child Jamie's age around here, it might do him good to have a playdate with Harry every so often."

Severus looked startled. "Tom I . . .don't know. It might be awkward at first, I had to explain to Harry about the de-aging, and how it's supposed to help his father learn responsibility."

"Sev, I know it might seem odd at first, but I think it would do James a world of good to have another positive make influence besides me. Now I know you've had your differences, but I would trust you to be fair and impartial when it comes to watching my child. You are a responsible adult and I know you would never let past grudges get in the way, Severus Snape."

"Of course I wouldn't, Tom. James is a child now and I would never take advantage of him that way."

"Good. Would you be willing if I happen to need you to watch him on certain days when I have conferences and meetings with the Minister? It might prove beneficial in other ways as well, namely that he learns to see you as a good parent and not an abusive monster. That will help in the long run, once he returns to his proper age."

"I never thought about it that way. When you put it that way, it makes sense. Lily? How do you feel about all this?" Severus asked her.

Lily considered. Then she nodded. "You're right, Tom. I've always thought James could use some good old fashioned discipline, but that's your job as his father. I wouldn't mind watching him, it would do him good to interact with other children, I think he didn't get enough of that in his first childhood. And Harry would be tickled to get to play "big brother" to his dad, and serve as an example of how to behave."

Tom laughed. "I'd say you're right, Lily. What kid doesn't dream of being able to tell their parents what to do."

"I would have loved to tell my father to go to hell," Severus said softly. "And then pitch him out a window."

Lily put her arm about him. "Severus, nobody can fault you for that. But Harry and James are different." She turned to Tom. "We would be happy to watch James if you needed to. We would treat him as we do our own, no worries."

"Thank you, Severus and Lily. I really appreciate it." He smiled gently down at his new son. "I think he has a lot of potential to be a decent man, if he is raised right this time around. I look forward to the challenge."

"Good luck, Headmaster. If you like, we can bring Harry around some time this week and have him get to know Jamie," Lily offered.

"Excellent!" Tom said. "Now, I suspect you'd like to go home and have dinner with your family. Have a pleasant afternoon."

"You as well," Severus said, then they departed through the Floo.

* * * * * *

The rest of the evening passed somewhat peacefully. James woke feeling much better and he and Tom had a pleasant dinner in the Headmaster's quarters. Tom allowed James to pick out what he wished for dinner, and the little boy promptly asked for a hamburger and macaroni and cheese. Tom also had him eat some string beans with butter, and at first the boy protested, but when Tom told him if he didn't eat his string beans he would get no dessert, James was quick to reconsider.

"My rule with vegetables is you have to eat one bite for each year of your life. You're how old?"

"Six. Almost seven."

"Then you need to eat six string beans." Tom said. "Or else no chocolate pudding with whipped cream."

James groaned but ate the required amount of vegetables.

"Good job. By eating vegetables, you'll grow up big and strong."

"Like you?"

"Yes, son."

After pudding, Tom told James to get into pajamas. Then he told the boy to sit down because they needed to have a little talk. "Since this is your first time at Hogwarts, Jamie, I want you to have fun, but also to remember that the castle is a big and sometimes dangerous place for a little boy. So I have a few rules that you need to follow. Number one, go nowhere near the dungeons or the third floor corridor or the Forbidden Forest. All of those places have dangerous magical creatures and substances in them and you could getbadly hurt or even killed, so do not set foot in there, not for any reason. Should I catch you out of bounds there, you will get a sound spanking and be forced to come with me everywhere for an entire week. Am I understood?"

James just gaped at him. "You wouldn't! My . . .my dad and mummy never spanked me!"

"Child, the only time you shall ever get spanked is if you lie to me, deliberately disobey an order, or willingly put yourself in harm's way. Now, you have a choice—to obey my rules and be a good lad or to disobey and get spanked. Which would you rather have?"

"The first one."

"Good. Keep that in mind. Number two, no flying unless an adult is with you. Number three, you are to obey any teacher or adult who is watching you as if they were me. Number four, no touching wands or any other magical object, if it doesn't belong to you, keep your hands off. Number five, any kind of whining or tantrums will get you one thing only—a long time out with your nose in the corner. Number six, you will be respectful and polite to me and no answering back or swearing. You will always get three warnings for any of the above behavior, if you don't shape up you will end up in time out or grounded to your room and lose playdates with friends or flying time. Understand?"

"Yeah. But I don't have any friends here at Hogwarts, Daddy."

"You can make friends with some of the students and Hagrid. And soon you'll meet the son of a friend of mine, Harry Snape. He would be happy to be your friend and so would the Lupin twins, Teddy and Tessa, and their cousin, Draco. You can attend school with them for three days a week. Do you think you would like that?"

"Yes."

Tom smiled. "Very well. I shall arrange it. Then I'll have a golden wand chart set up, if you do well in school, and listen when I ask you to do something, like clean your room or help me around the office, and behave you'll get a golden wand on the chart. At the end of the week, if you have five wands, you'll get a special reward."

"A reward? Like what? A new broom?"

Tom raised an eyebrow. "Not quite that big. Things like a special trip to the ice cream shoppe or Diagon Alley. Maybe tickets to a Quidditch game. But you have to earn them. You don't get them for nothing."

"How come?"

"Because when you work hard for something you appreciate it. If I just give you something for nothing, then it loses its value." Tom explained. "Look at all the toys you had in your other home. You had so many you hardly could play with them all and some were forgotten in the bottom of your toy chest. Did you ever have a favorite toy when you lived at Potter Manor?"

James shook his head. He had had so many toys that one was almost the same as another after awhile. "No. Not really."

"Well, there you have it." He ruffled James' hair. "Think you can remember all that, lad?"

"Yeah. Now will you read me a story?"

"I certainly will. Go and pick a book out of your shelf."

James slipped off the couch and padded over to his bookshelf and picked out a book called The Legends of Young Arthur and Merlin For Children. "This one, Daddy!"

He climbed up on Tom's lap and listened while Tom read the story, using different voices and expressions as he did so. They read the entire story which took about twenty minutes.

Towards the end, James' eyes began to shut and Tom thought he would fall asleep without a fight. But no such luck. As soon as Tom told him that it was bedtime, the little boy turned into a mule and refused to go to sleep.

"No! I always get three stories before I go to bed."

"One is enough. It's late and you're overtired." Tom tried being reasonable first.

James pouted and sulked. "No fair! I'm not tired. I always stay up till ten o'clock. Mummy said I could."

Tom gritted his teeth. "Ten o'clock is far too late for little boys to stay awake. Time for bed, James. No arguments." He pointed to the bedroom. "Go on."

James balked. "No! I'm NOT tired!"

Tom's eyes narrowed. "James Darius Potter, you do not speak to me that way. That's strike one. It's eight-thirty and bedtime. Now, either you go to bed like a big boy or I can carry you there like a baby."

James glared right back at him, his temper was up, and he didn't take Tom's warning seriously because he had never been punished for his spoiled attitude before. "I'm not going to bed! It's too early."

"Wrong. That's strike two. Don't make me get to three, or else." Tom crossed his arms over his chest and glowered at the stubborn mite. "Bed, young man."

James stamped both feet on the floor. He wasn't tired and he wasn't going to bed. And nobody could make him. "No! You go to bed!"

Tom muttered a swear word under his breath. "That's it. You had three warnings." He moved so quickly that James barely registered it before he found himself tucked beneath Tom's arm and hauled into his room.

James kicked and wriggled and screamed to no avail. Into the room he went, Tom frowning like a thundercloud. The little boy was furious, but he couldn't free himself from Tom's arm no matter how he wriggled and fought. The next thing he knew he was being set down in the corner, and given a firm swat on the backside.

"Enough, young man! You do not carry on this way or throw a tantrum when I tell you it's time to go to bed. Am I clear?"

James burst into tears. "I don't wanna go to bed!"

"Then you can stand here until you do want to go to bed. Ten minutes." Tom was sure James wouldn't even last five. "Nose to the wall and hush that howling."

James bawled louder. "You smacked me!" He rubbed his bottom dramatically.

Tom rolled his eyes. "You deserved it, now quit being so dramatic."

James squirmed and wriggled until Tom put his hands on his shoulders and ordered him to be still or else he would add more time.

James recognized the threat and stopped moving. He sniffled and sulked and pouted. He really didn't like being punished, it was boring and uncomfortable, and suddenly the bed was looking better all the time.

Until he remembered he wasn't tired and didn't want to go there.

Tom waited calmly until five minutes had passed. Then he asked, "Well, Mr. Potter? Are you ready to listen, or shall you stand here another five minutes?"

"You're mean."

Tom ignored that.

James shuffled his feet.

"No moving."

"No fair."

Seconds and minutes ticked by and James sniffled and huffed.

Tom waited, sensing the boy was caving.

Finally James sobbed, "Okay, I'll go to bed!"

"Thank you, son. Now, that wasn't such a hard decision, was it?"

James' lower lip stuck out. "No." Then he added, "But you're still mean!"

Tom bit his lip to keep from laughing at the boy's indignant tone.

James crawled into bed and sulked.

"Close your eyes and go to sleep, Jamie," Tom ordered, and stroked his hair.

James reluctantly closed his eyes.

Two minutes later James was snoring softly.

Tom sighed in relief and wondered if he would win all his battles so easily. He had a feeling that the youngest Marauder would test his patience to the limit.

* * * * * *

The next morning was better, James woke in a good mood and went and brushed his teeth and washed his face without being told. Then he got dressed in his new robes that were a copy of those Tom usually wore and followed his father to the Great Hall to eat breakfast at the staff table.

The students eyed the little boy accompanying the Headmaster curiously and some of the older girls went and cooed at how cute the little kid was.

"Adorable!"

"Aww! Isn't he just the cutest thing!"

"Look at his little robe! He matches Headmaster Riddle!"

Tom walked up to the podium with James right beside him and held up his hands for silence.

The hall quieted immediately.

"Good morning. Before we all sit down to breakfast, I have someone I would like you to meet. This is my son James who will be staying with me for the rest of the term. Please make him feel welcome, but also look out for him, he's only six, and do not, under any circumstances encourage him to mischief. Anyone who thinks it amusing to lure him into misbehaving will be looking at detention until they leave school." He gave them all a warning glower. "However, any student who helps my son if they should find him lost or alone in the school will earn my gratitude and one hundred House points. Thank you for listening and enjoy your breakfast."

He sat down and beckoned to James to follow him to the table, where the little boy sat next to him and began eating some strawberry crepes and sausage.

The hall burst into excited mutterings and whispers after the Headmaster had sat down. Tom Riddle's personal life had always been an enigma, no student ever knew much about his origins, except that he was a halfblood raised by his Muggle father and grandfather. Most never even knew that he had been married, or that his wife had died in childbirth. The few staff members, like Poppy Pomfrey and Minerva McGonagall, who did know the sad story of Angela and Anthony Riddle, Tom's stillborn son, knew that it had nearly crushed the wizard. Seeing him now with the small boy who the two witches knew was James Potter de-aged, made them conceal smiles and pray that this experiment would turn out well for both James and Tom.

The End.
End Notes:
How did you like how Tom handled James?

Thanks for reading!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1988