A Dangerous Game by Pandora
Summary: Voldemort wants to build an army of young, powerful, and virtually indestructible Death Eaters. How do Harry and Snape fit into that plan? Entrant in the 2009 Prompt Fest. Prompts: A Dangerous Game and Through the Keyhole
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Fic Fests > #9 Prompt Fest 2009 Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 28093 Read: 35099 Published: 01 Dec 2009 Updated: 01 Dec 2009
Chapter 7: Stand By Your Side by Pandora

Severus' lip curled in disgust, as he surveyed the scene before him. As it was summer, and normally no students resided at Hogwarts, there was only one large table in the middle of the Great Hall, for the few remaining staff members that chose to remain at the Castle during the holidays, and as at the present time, this consisted only of McGonagall, Snape, Trewlaney and Dumbledore, the table had few place settings, however, Severus' obsidian eyes were fixed specifically on the three place settings at the end of the table.

A shock of red hair, a mass of bushy mousy-brown hair, and a mop of dark, messy ink-black hair were huddled together, their faces lit up animatedly.

Severus clenched his teeth together, as Albus looked up and pierced him with his maddeningly twinkling blue eyes. It was pretty obvious to Severus what the old fool had done. He'd given in to Potter's whining, and allowed the brat to spill the beans to his friends. Well...he'd put a stop to that nonsense; after all, it was his head on the line, should the Dark Lord suspect what they had planned, and there was no way that Severus would allow such knowledge to be entrusted to mere children; especially, these children.

It was bad enough that his very life was held in the hands of Potter, but his idiotic friends? No bloody way!

“Headmaster,” Severus said silky, leaning down to whisper in Albus' ear. “Could you spare a moment?”

A small smile tugged at Albus' lips. The man was so predictable. “Of course Severus,” he said amiably.

Albus led the scowling man, out the doors and into the main hall. The sky above was clear blue, and spotted with a few puffy white clouds, with the sun streaming through, illuminating the high castle walls.

“What did you want to speak to me about Severus?” Albus asked innocently.

“What are those idiot friends of Potter’s doing here?” Severus growled.

“This is a very difficult decision for Harry, Severus and he has requested that he be allowed to consult with his friends,” Albus explained patiently.

Severus scowled. “You are going to let that idiot boy entrust his even bigger idiot friends with a secret such as this? Have you no regard for my safety whatsoever Albus?” he hissed.

“Now Severus,” Albus said calmly. “Do you not think that you are over-reacting?”

Severus cocked an eyebrow. “Overreacting?” he asked incredulously. “You honestly think that these children are trustworthy? You are willing to place my life in their hands?”

Albus' expression hardened. “As the success of this plan is incumbent upon Harry's cooperation, I believe that we have no choice but to allow him the benefit of the doubt. He trusts Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley, and I trust Harry's judgment. End of discussion,” he said firmly.

“Now, let us return to the Great Hall; I believe breakfast is being served, and I do not wish for my eggs to get cold,” he chuckled.

Severus gritted his teeth as he watched Albus disappear through the tall doors. The man was so infuriating he thought to himself. He had an annoying habit of trusting everyone, and seeing the world through rose-coloured glasses. Well...Severus had not survived as a spy, deep in the folds of the Dark Lord's evil grasp, without learning to be discriminating and to trust no one...least of all a scrawny, fifteen-year-old with the last name of Potter.

Ron's mouth drooped open; his freckles standing out starkly on his pale face.

“Dumbledore's finally lost it,” he said incredulously.

All that could be heard from Hermione's corner, was the whisper of pages being flipped frantically.

Finally...her hand stilled and she looked up at Harry through her long lashes.

“This is rather a big decision Harry,” she said breathlessly, “but it would definitely give you an advantage though, wouldn't it?”

Ron's eyes widened in horror. “Are you crazy? He'd have to be nuts to do this!” he shrieked.

“He'd be—he'd be Snape's son.” He shuddered. “Oh my God! Snape would be his father!” His lips curled in disgust.

“Ron, you heard what Harry just told us--about what the prophecy really says. He's got to vanquish Voldemort. He's got to fight against the most evil wizard of all time; he's needs every advantage he can get, no matter how preposterous it may seem.”

Hermione pointed to the heavy, leather-bound tome. “This potion will arm Harry with special powers; he'll be stronger--a more powerful wizard; a force to be reckoned with.” She turned to Ron, with pleading eyes. “Don't you want Harry to have every weapon at his disposal?”

Ron raked his hand through his flaming red hair. “Of course I do-” he turned to Harry, and threw his hands up in the air, “you know I do Harry, but this is Snape we're talking about.” He looked at Hermione, a look of bitter resentment, washing over his freckled face. “The same man whose made Harry's life a living hell for the past five years.”

“But Ron,” she argued, pointing her slender finger at the tome, “that's what is so wonderful about this blood adoption and about the potion; the blood adoption on it's own, would give some of Professor Snape's own blood to Harry; he would essentially be Snape's real son, although-” she added quickly, “that would not be to say that he wouldn't still be James Potter's son as well. In essence...Harry would have two fathers.”

Ron scowled. “Yeah, and one of them would be Snape.”

“I think that what Hermione is trying to say Ron, is that between the potion and the blood-adoption ceremony, that Snape and I,” he said acerbically, “as hard as that may be to imagine, would begin to feel the pull of the bond between us, and eventually feel differently about each other.”

“That's exactly right Ron,” Hermione said primly. “Professor Snape would feel a certain duty and protectiveness towards Harry. Perhaps this would really be a good thing for both of them. After all, it has not been conducive to harmony within the Light Side's cause, to have Harry and Professor Snape at each other's throat, at every moment.”

“So, you think that I should do this?” Harry asked uncertainly. “Sirius would still be alive, if it weren't for Snape though,” Harry said bitterly. “I just don't know if I can get past that.”

Hermione leant forward on the Common Room couch, and gently took Harry's hand in her own.

“Harry, Sirius cared very much about you, and while he and Snape were not good friends, Professor Snape is not responsible for his death. Dumbledore has already explained to you that Snape did try to help Sirius, but that he couldn't give away his loyalties to Umbridge. While it's terribly unfortunate that there was such a miss-communication, it's no one's fault really, and it serves no purpose to blame Snape, or yourself for that matter,” she said softly.

“Sirius would want you to get on with your life Harry, and be happy. He'd want you to do whatever you had to do to ensure your own survival, no matter the consequence.”

“Maybe she's right mate. I mean, I guess that it's only for a year, right? And if it means that You-Know-Who will finally be gone, then-”

Harry rolled his eyes. “It's Voldemort Ron. Say it,” he said firmly.

Ron's lip trembled uncertainly. “Vol- uh- Voldemort,” he said in a stronger voice. “Yeah, Voldemort.”

Harry looked at both his friends with misty eyes. “I can get through anything as long as I have you two by my side,” Harry said, emotion clogging his throat.

“We'll always be here for you Harry...no matter what,” Hermione said softly.

“Always mate. Even if you do become Harry Snape,” he said with a snicker.

Ron ducked the wayward pillow that flew past his head, and hit the wall with a loud thwack.

---------

A soft smile, made the corners of Dumbledore's soft blue eyes crinkle. “I do believe that you've made the right decision my boy.”

Harry nodded, although the sour taste in his mouth said otherwise.

Snape fixed Harry with his gleaming obsidian eyes. “Let's make one thing perfectly clear Potter. If you agree to this adoption, I want your assurances that you will agree to certain conditions.”

Harry narrowed his eyes. “What kind of conditions?” he asked suspiciously.

“Severus-” Dumbledore warned.

“No Headmaster. I have agreed to this plan of yours, but I will not put myself at risk unnecessarily. I want Potter's promise to follow my rules to ensure both of our safety. I cannot promise to protect the boy properly, if he continues to rush off headlong into danger without a thought for his own safety or the safety of others.”

“I'm certain that Harry will promise to be more prudent in the future Severus.”

Severus cocked an eyebrow. “Forgive me if I'm skeptical Headmaster. I've only watched the boy break a thousand rules since he started here, and I've watched you encourage him to participate in dangerous activities without batting an eyelid.” He turned to Albus; his lips set in a fine line. “As a matter of fact Albus, I want your assurances as well, that you will not undermine my authority at every turn either. If I'm to be responsible for the boy, then he must follow my rules, and you will not interfere.”

“Of course Severus,” Albus agreed readily.

“Whoa...wait just a minute,” Harry protested. “What kind of rules?”

“Fear not Potter. You will only be expected to follow normal rules that most children who are not the darling of the Wizarding World have to follow,” Snape sneered.

Harry glared at him.

“Why don't you just go and take a leap off the astronomy tower,” Harry said through gritted teeth. He turned to Dumbledore. “I'm sorry sir. I don't think that this is going to work.”

Harry turned to walk away, and felt a gentle hand grasp his shoulder.

“Harry, please...we can work this out,” he implored.

He turned to look at Snape. “Severus?”

“I'm sorry Headmaster, but if you think that I'm going to allow Potter to run wild, simply so he concedes to this plan, then you are sorely mistaken. I expect a certain standard of behaviour from my son,” he said acerbically, and I refuse to cave in, simply because Potter believes that he should be allowed to do whatever he pleases.”

Harry felt a twinge of guilt, as Dumbledore lay a frail hand on his desk, to steady himself.

“Fine, I'll follow your stupid rules,” he agreed grudgingly.

“Your disrespect never fails to astound me Potter. That is rule number one,” he said coldly. "You will address me with the respect I deserve."

Harry gritted his teeth; he had a feeling that this was going to be a long year.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2008