Of Snake Bites and Dittany Cures by Iva1201
Summary: Summary: "There is someone there. Someone watching us. I can tell. There, over by the bushes." (Hermione Granger to Harry Potter, Christmas Night 1997, graveyard in Godric's Hollow). Christmas 1997 story, compliant to DH 1st half. My guess as to the person hiding behind the bushes? Professor Severus Snape visiting Lily Evans. The story is Snape-Potter mentoring one.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, Lily, Luna, McGonagall, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 13719 Read: 21986 Published: 05 Dec 2009 Updated: 21 Dec 2009
Unforgivable by Iva1201
Author's Notes:
Big thank you to excessivelyperky for betaing this. Enjoy!

Hogwarts, Room of Requirement

Late Christmas 1997

When Snape's arms pressed Harry again tightly to his tall, emaciated body and the two of them Disapparated, Harry panicked once more. Was this what Snape planned? To hurt both him and the old wizard, or rather his portrait? It sounded evil enough and Harry was fully prepared to believe the idea. If – if only they resurfaced somewhere else. But what was Harry to make of this? As he took in their new environment, his mouth fell in surprise.

“Oh yes, Potter, the Room of Requirement,” Snape quietly confirmed that they had indeed Apparated to the corridor Harry knew so well. Then, the git of a Professor added with a positively evil smirk: “I don't have the time to deal with you otherwise.”

Not bothering to explain any further, Snape forcefully moved the boy towards the door to the Room, hidden in the wall. “Now, Potter, we have to wish for the same thing or the Room will not let us in. I am sure you are well aware of this, seeing how much time you have already spent inside,” Snape said, his eyes glaring at Harry's face. The boy didn't disappoint him. His expression once again became an open book, and the Potions Master could easily read the surprise taking over it.

Harry could have sworn that the man's dark eyes sparkled in slight amusement—well, if it hadn’t been Snape. As it was, the boy dismissed the thought rather quickly and schooled his features, hoping for a mask similar to the one he was used to see on Snape's face. Now, it was unmistakable. Irrationally as it was, Snape looked amused.

A moment later, Harry was certain his eyes had fooled him – as he’d seen so many times before, Snape was sneering at him. With poorly hidden disgust, the man informed him: “I knew there was no chance that you would be cooperative in this matter. Therefore, Mr. Potter, let us start your today's lesson right here.”

Snape took a small step back from the still partly paralyzed teenager and quirked up an eyebrow at the protest in the boy's eyes.

Fat chance that I’m going to help you torture me, Snape, Harry thought furiously.

Snape answered by drawing his wand. “I fear you have no other choice than to follow me in this, Potter. But – believe it or not – for what it's worth, I am sorry for using this particular curse on our boy hero,” Snape aimed his wand at Potter's face.

Harry's eyes widened with dread. He had absolutely no clue as to what Snape intended and he really didn't like the hopeless feeling spreading out in his veins. Rightfully so, as Snape proved by casting an Unforgivable on him.

Imperio!” Snape said coldly, his eyes firmly focused on the boy's face. Harry felt the wild turmoil of thoughts and worries in his mind cease, to give way to a welcome peaceful warmth. For the shortest while, he let his mind drift in this peace; his body obediently following Snape in pacing in front of the Room and his mind repeating the man's words: We need more time, we need more time, we need more time.

Then, finally, Harry thought that this couldn't be right and threw Snape's curse off – sadly, too late. When he reopened his eyes, he saw that Snape had managed what he had set himself to. They were in the Room which was this time around equipped like a rather spartan classroom – or so Harry thought, “No!” he groaned, while shaking his head to clear it.

“Why, Potter, yes. Even you are not skilled enough to throw the curse off on the spot.” Snape smirked at Harry's discomfort. “On the other hand,“ the man continued with an unpleasant, dark chuckle, “it's rather impressive that you can throw it off at all when you are, as we both know all too well, so abominable in Occlumency.“ The older wizard paused and ruthlessly shoved Harry to the centre of the Room. There, Harry noticed, a golden chain with a small sand clock at its end lay on one of the desks. Time-turner, Harry thought with alarm, and looked at Snape. Weren't they all destroyed in the Department of Mysteries last year?

Snape had a dangerous smile playing around his lips. “I see that you have recognized what we have come here for, Potter,“ he said, his voice apparently indifferent, but clearly knowing that Harry had used the device in the past and not approving of it. Harry shuddered; with apprehension, he recalled the end of his third year and Snape's involvement in it.

His dread must have presented itself on his face as Snape quietly laughed. Harry shot him a rebellious, and yet guilty, look. Back then, Snape had been their teacher and they had ruthlessly knocked him out, not giving a damn about the consequences – well, all except Hermione. Was the man up to some act of his own, private vengeance before he hands me over to Voldemort? Bathed in cold sweat, Harry – still unable to freely move and defend himself – watched as Snape reached for the chain.

Snape caressed the Time-Turner with his thin fingers and then, looking back at Harry, smirked: “Oh yes, Potter, I am quite aware of your and Miss Granger's little adventure back in your third year... Be assured that this time you will be using the device not only with your Headmaster's assent but, moreover, under his personal supervision. Only Gryffindors can be reckless enough to let children play with such dangerous toys otherwise,“ the man finished in a cold voice and hold the Time-Turner in front of Harry's eyes. “So, Potter, what will be it – the easy or the hard way?“

When Harry stared at him with his well-known resolve not to follow his orders, Snape shook his head with another bark of harsh laughter. “My, my, Potter, aren't you making this entirely too difficult for yourself?“ With swiftness Harry didn't think possible, Snape had his wand once again pointed at Harry's forehead. “Imperio,“ the older wizard said lazily, good-naturedly if it was at all possible with Snape, and Harry, again floating in that pool of forced peace, obediently bowed his head and let the man pull the golden chain over it.

Good boy,” Snape smirked sardonically and with a twisted smile of satisfaction playing on his lips repeatedly turned the small clock in his hand and sent the two of them to the past.

ooooo

To be continued...
End Notes:
I will be offline during Christmas and New Year. One more chapter tomorrow, I think and then I will have to ask you to be patient with me. Thank you for reading and reviewing!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2014