Child Protection by Toria
Summary: Professor Dumbledore place's Harry in the school's Child Protection Service and he ends up spending the summer at Snape's House, along with another student who he didn't expect to see in the Protection Service...
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Controlling, Snape is Stern
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 3359 Read: 6991 Published: 06 Dec 2009 Updated: 14 Apr 2010
Chapter 2 by Toria

The rest of the two hours outside were awkward to see the least. How were you supposed to spend two hours in the middle of nowhere with your arch rival of the last two years? Never mind the entire summer! And then add on your most hated Professor after that. Your most hated Professor, who happens to hate you as well, and who, your arch rival has informed you, can act exactly as he likes for the entire summer. Harry got the feeling that it was going to be a long couple of weeks. Already, he couldn’t wait for the beginning of third year, when he would be able to return home to Hogwarts.

Malfoy hadn't offered any more conversation, and Harry had instead just tagged along behind the blonde haired Slytherin, as they walked along country lanes for the next hour or so, before arriving back at the little yard at the side of the cottage which they had left through. Inside, Snape was nowhere to be seen and Malfoy led the way back up to the attic room, with Harry once again following. Once back in the room, Malfoy once more proceeded to sit on his bed, and to continued to read his book.

"So I am just supposed to follow you about for the entire summer then?" Harry demanded, standing in front of the blonde-haired boy with his arms crossed, starting to get really frustrated.

"I don't know, Potter," the other boy told him without looking up from his book. "Professor Snape hasn't said what your schedule is yet, to see whether or not it's the same as mine."

"How can you talk as if this is all so simple?!" Harry asked him, his voice beginning to rise in volume.

"Because it is!"Malfoy told him, finally looking up from his book. "We're staying with Professor Snape for the summer and he's in charge!" The Slytherin's voice was also beginning to rise.

"And you had both better get used to the fact," a voice came from the doorway, causing both boys to turn towards it in shock, and Draco to hurriedly scramble off the bed to stand besides it. Neither boy had expected to see their Potion's Professor, despite the fact that it was his house and Harry had to resist the urge to step backwards as the Professor strode into the room. "Mr Malfoy," Snape addressed the blonde haired boy, completely ignoring Harry, "Mr Potter will be following your schedule, see to it that it happens, I will hold you responsible if he does not know it." Both boys just stared at him. Snape swung round to look at Harry. "Mr Potter, do as Mr Malfoy tells you and follow the schedule, or I can assure you, there will be consequences."

Snape seemed to disappear as quickly as he had appeared, leaving a rather strange atmosphere in the room. Draco shot a quick look at Harry. "We'd better keep the noise down," he said, somewhat nervously, as he sat back down on the bed, and flicked over another page of his book. Harry sat down on his bed and just looked at the other boy.

"You're scared of him." It was a statement, not a question, and Draco ignored him. Harry sighed. "Why are you scared of him?" he tried again.

"I'm not scared of him," Draco said.

Harry looked disbelieving. "Yeah, right!"

"I'm not scared of him, but I'm not willing to cross him, either," Draco clarified, looking up from his book once more. Harry raised an eyebrow. "Look," Draco said, annoyed, "you might just have to get through this summer with him, but he's going to be my Head of House until I leave Hogwarts, and anything that happens here he can hang over my head until I graduate." Draco shuddered at the possibilty. "So I'm going to do as he say's whilst I'm here and then I'm going to enjoy what freedom I have when we're back at school. Now get a book out or something, we're not allowed to leave our room until dinner, which is at six." Harry was clearly about ready to argue. "Professor Snape said that you're following the same schedule as me, and that I'll be responisble if you don't know it. That schedule says that we stay in this room until dinner at six. Now use some of the Gryffindor chivalry not to get me in trouble!"

Harry scowled, but flopped down on his bed. He didn't get a book out though, he wasn't going to do everything the Slytherin said. His sense of right and wrong wouldn't let him go wandering around the house as he really wanted to though. It wouldn't be Malfoy's fault that he wasn't following the schedule, the other boy had no authority over him, but Snape had said that he would blame the other boy, and Malfoy at least knew him well enough to know that he's think of others instead of just himself. He noticed that his trunk now stood at the end of the bed, and realised that Snape had unpacked for him. His books were on the shelf beneath Draco's on the bookcase, and he assumed his clothes must be in the wardrobe. He photo album was on his bedside table, and he hoped that Snape hadn't looked through his most treasured possesion.

There was a small pop and one of the house elves, Harry didn't know which one, appeared in the room, bearing a small tray. "Thank you Jacen," Draco said, as the elf placed the tray on the trunk at the end of Draco's bed, and swiftly disappeared. The tray held two goblets and a plate with some small sandwiches and some pieces of cake on. Draco picked up one of the goblets, and then gestured to Harry to help himself.

Harry took the goblet abd perched back on the edge of his bed. If it had been Ron who he was sharing a room with, he would have sat on the other boys bed, but he didn't want to take such liberties with Draco. "You're nicer to the houselves than your Father was to Dobby," he ventured somewhat nervously.

Draco looked at him, amazed. "You know Dobby?"

Harry nodded. "He's the only house elf I've met besides Jacen and Lysandera," Harry told him.

"He's a little bit different to most," Draco conceeded and Harry couldn't help a snort of laughter.

"Yeah, but your Father wasn't too happy when I tricked him into freeing him."

"You did what?!" Draco gasped. "No wonder he was in a foul mood when I got home from school..."

Harry looked across at him, but Draco had his head bent over his book again, after he had stopped talking abruptly. Harry suddenly hoped that the other boy hadn't felt the consequences of his reckless act in freeing Dobby, and he felt a slight urge of guilt. But he knew if he apologised to Malfoy, the other boy would deny that anything had happened.

"So, what do we do after dinner?" he asked.

"Come back to our room and not disturb Professor Snape until lights out, which is at nine thirty," Draco told him.

"Why am I not surprised," Harry muttered, placing his empty goblet back onto the tray. He didn't notice Draco's wry smile at the comment. "I'm going to go crazy before the summer is out."

Harry hadn't even thought about surviving dinner with Professor Snape...

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2015