Away in a Manger by Snapegirl
Past Featured StorySummary: On Christmas Eve, an unwanted child is left in a manger and found by a young Potions Master, changing both their lives forever. AU, implied child abuse, neglect, possible CP, Sev raises Harry.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Runaway, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 176119 Read: 202213 Published: 07 Dec 2009 Updated: 11 Feb 2010
White Christmas by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Ice skating mishaps, a Christmas with the Longbottoms, and Augustus learns the truth about Harry!
I know this is one of the chapters you've been waiting for, so please read it thoroughly, thanks!

February 22, 1990

Foxfire Hall:

Severus walked carefully about the large duck pond that was situated some ten minutes from the manor house, surrounded by willows and cedars on the north side. The pond at its deepest was about eight feet, Severus could tell this with his Water Master sense, his newly emerging talent was developing nicely thanks to Augustus' tutelage. He had learned to send his consciousness outward and gently feel the water with his mind, and then let his water sense "tell" him certain things, like depth, temperature, composition (such as fresh vs. salt or bacteria), and also what kinds of aquatic life dwelled there. 

During the summer, the pond teemed with fish and ducks with newly hatched young.  Right then, though, it was frozen almost down to the bottom, and Severus was testing it to determine the thickness of the ice.  Harry, Blaise, and Neville had been pestering him ever since last week, when a cold snap had set in over Yorkshire, to let them go skating.  But first, Severus insisted on making sure the ice was firm enough to hold their weight.

It was, save for one spot towards the left side. Severus used his fledgling powers to make the ice a bit thicker, but he would outline that part with a red warning line so the boys wouldn't accidentally skate on it.  He didn't want to make the ice over there truly thick, because there were ducks and geese that still came to swim sometimes and he didn't want to deny them their pond.  It had been theirs first, before the Princes had claimed this land, after all.

He carefully scribed a bright red line about the thin ice with his wand. There! That was so obvious even a blind man could see it, Severus thought in satisfaction. The temperature was just right for skating too, clear and not very windy, with a minimum of sun. 

After satisfying himself that the boys would come to no harm, Severus snowglided home to the manor. Snowgliding was a bit like skiing without skis, and it was something only an Elemental Master or Water Master could do.  Severus simply manipulated the snow beneath his boots, making it slick and smooth and hard, using his will to propel himself along the snowy ground, skimming over it at a very swift pace.  It was quicker than walking and he had fun doing it. Sometimes he could even do it while Harry held his hands, but it required more concentration and it tired him out faster. He could have Apparated, but he was enjoying the winter scenery and the time alone, soon enough he would be supervising and assisting the children with their skating.

He went inside the manor, not even needing to stomp his boots free of snow, since he could keep snow, ice, and water off his clothing simply by willing it so, a minor use of his Elemental powers.  Augustus had told him that it was possible for a Water Master to skim atop water like a water beetle and also to swim like a fish, or even swim without getting wet at all. He could also shape water into different designs and summon waves and squalls.  But thus far Severus hadn't tried to do any of those things, he was too busy trying to complete quotas of potions to practice endlessly with his Talent.  During the summer, he would have more time to experiment. 

The three boys were standing in the entrance hall, all bundled up and ready to go. They looked up at him expectantly.

"Can we go now, Mr. Snape?" asked Blaise impatiently. He, like Harry, was always eager to go on a new adventure or try new things.

"Is the ice thick enough, sir?" that from Neville, who was not too keen on skating, given that his Uncle Algie had seen fit to toss him into a pond last summer to try and teach him how to swim, as well as activate his magical powers to a higher level. It had worked, up to a point. Neville had managed to learn to float in a hurry, and his magic had acted to keep him from drowning, but it had also left the shy boy wary and a bit fearful of ponds. 

Severus considered that scare tactic to be the height of idiocy, and told Augusta so last time he had spoken to her.  She had agreed, but it was too late to do anything about it now. "My brother has always been one stick short of firewood, Severus. Insisted all the boy needed was a good sharp shock to get him to stop being so timid and so forth.  Dunderhead!"

There were several other names Severus called Neville's uncle, but none of them bore repeating in front of a lady and so he bit his tongue and resolved to make this skating experience a pleasant one for Neville, as well as his son and Blaise.

"Yes, we shall leave, and the ice is perfectly fine to skate," Severus replied, tugging Harry's scarf tighter about his neck.

His son made a face. "Papa, it's choking me."

Severus loosened the material. "Better?"

Harry nodded. He rolled his eyes, he hated being fussed over especially in front of his friends.

Severus tugged Blaise's hat down over his ears and adjusted Neville's cloak so it covered him more thoroughly. "All right, everyone have their skates?"

All three boys held up their skates by their laces.

"Good." Severus's own skates were already beside the pond. He didn't really need them, given his talent, but he liked ice skating. He turned to go out the door, whistling for his familiar, Valeska, to see if she wanted to join him.

The white peregrine woke from her doze on the back of the couch and flew to him, crooning delightedly.

Severus scratched her gently on the head. "Come, my winged wonder, let's fly. You can watch us pitiful land animals try and match your impossible grace."

Valeska gave a bird's version of a chuckle, then spread her wings and flew out and into the sky. She would accompany her master anywhere, and she did not mind the cold the way some species did.  She had been bred in the northern climate of Russia and was used to the frigid winds and temperatures. 

The boys raced out the door, hooting and hollering.

Severus winced at the noise, then summoned Hotspur and asked him to tell Lord Prince they would be back for tea or supper. Then he turned and followed the boys across the lawn to the pond, his falcon gliding lazily above him.

After helping Neville put on his skates, Severus gave the boy a few basic lessons, showing him how to balance and turn on the slippery surface. Neville fell a few times, but cheerfully got up and tried again. Harry and Blaise, who had been skating before this, were like gulls, swooshing across the ice and spinning about, laughing.

"Boys!" Severus called upon seeing Harry get too near the marked ice. "You know what that red line means, don't you?"

"Yes," Harry called back. "It means Danger-Thin Ice."

"Right. Mind you stay away from it." He watched his son do a circle, avoiding the glowing lines. Though prone to getting himself into scrapes, Harry would obey if told to, he was not, after a lifetime of living with Severus and Augustus, as reckless as James Potter and after several injuries had learned the value of following Snape's instructions.

All three boys had received instruction from him not only on skating, but on basic potions and some herbology, so they would be well prepared for the curriculum at Hogwarts. Neville was the best with herbology, while Harry was quickest to grasp theory and the cleverest at inventing new ways to brew. Blaise was more methodical, but his preciseness was a good trait for a potion maker to have. Severus was sure they wouldn't have any problem with the first year curriculum, at least with potions.

He had also instructed them on safety procedures, a necessity when dealing with two rambunctious boys.  Though after he had delivered a blistering lecture to Harry in front of his friends when he caught his son chasing Blaise around the lab table with a chopping knife and made Harry stand in the corner for behaving like a five-year-old, he had no more problems with that sort of idiotic nonsense. Harry had told him later that he had been awful to embarrass him that way, and all Severus had said was it served him right for treating his lab like a playground and to behave next time.

He was brought out of his brief reverie by Neville falling flat on his bottom.

"Darn!" the boy muttered, struggling to get up.

"Here," Severus gave him a hand up. "Watch me. You overbalanced. Slide your right foot forward and then your left. Like this." He demonstrated, then held the child's hands while Neville attempted to copy him.

"It's hard. You make it look easy, Mr. Snape," Neville panted.

"It's hard for you now, but with practice you'll skate as well as Harry soon," Severus encouraged.

"I will? But I'm always falling."

"Everyone falls their first few times," Severus said, skating backwards.  "Ask Harry how many times he fell when he first learned. His bottom was bruised like a patchwork quilt."

Neville snickered.

"Papa!" Harry cried indignantly. "Did you have to tell him that?"

"Is it true then?" Neville asked.

"Yes," his friend answered. "But now look at me." He spun on one skate.

"It's a question of balance," Severus continued his instruction. "Once you learn that and how to stop, you'll be able to skate very well."

"How do you stop? Without falling, I mean."

"Use the front blade on the tip of your skate. The toepick," Severus demonstrated.

"Papa, can you show us how you write your name in the ice again?" Harry begged. He loved that trick of Severus' and never tired of seeing it over and over.

"Just a minute. Let me get Neville settled." He waited until Neville seemed more steady on his skates before he let go and beckoned the child. "All right, Longbottom. Come to me."

Neville looked alarmed. "Now?"

"Of course! Come on! Move the way I showed you. That's it."

Neville began to move cautiously towards Severus, who was skating backwards slowly. "I'm . . .skating!"

"Good! Now grab my hands," Severus coaxed, moving another foot away. Neville drew closer.  "Good job!" he praised when the other had skated a total of three feet to him. He caught the child and said, "Now use that toepick  to stop. Very good!"

Neville was beaming, his round face alight. "I can skate."

Severus clapped him gently on the back. "You can do whatever you set your mind to, Longbottom. Stay here."

He spun and began to skate towards the middle of the pond.

Harry and Blaise quickly moved to the side and watched in delight as the Potions Master began to inscribe elegant loops and curves upon the ice, moving his feet like a dancer in a never-ending glide. In three minutes he was done and skated to a stop with a flourish.

Carved into the ice in script letters was Severus Snape.

The boys clapped and cheered.

"I can't wait till I can do that!" Blaise said enviously.

"Me either," said Neville. He began to skate again, and to his shock he discovered he could actually move easier now. He began to skate a bit faster and then faster still. "Look, Harry, Blaise! I can do it!"

Blaise clapped happily, then tried to imitate Severus name writing.

Harry skated around the thin ice patch, trying to get up enough speed to attempt a leap. "Oi, Blaise! Watch me do a flying leap! Bet you can't do that!"  

Blaise looked up.

Harry was going full speed when Neville skated into his path.

"Yikes!" Neville yelped. He tried to stop, but his skates weren't obeying him. "Harry, I c-c-an't stop!"

Harry tried to avoid him, but it was too late. Neville's momentum propelled him right into his friend and the two slammed into each other.

"Ow!" Harry yelped. His nose had connected with Neville's forehead and was now bleeding. He had fallen over and so had Neville.

"Oh, Harry! I'm sorry," Neville began apologizing while trying to get up, his own lip was bruised and so was his eye, from hitting Harry's chin.

Strong hands picked him up and sat him down a foot away from Harry. "Sit still, Neville." Severus ordered, taking out his wand. "Don't worry, Harry will be all right, I've mended plenty of bloody noses before."

He glided over to Harry, who was trying to stanch the blood with a glove. "Here, son. Head back and let me see."

He removed Harry's hand from his face and examined the damage. "Hmm. Not too bad." He put the tip of his wand against Harry's nose and hissed a Blood Halt charm. Then he cast a quick Deflating charm on the swollen nose.

While he was tending to the two crash victims, Blaise was doubled over laughing.

"Ooh, Merlin have mercy!  That was some leap, Harry! You soared . . .like a rock!" He was laughing so hard he began to skate backwards, giggling hysterically. "Hahaha . . .that's the funniest thing I ever saw. You could call it ‘Crash and Burn'!"

Right over the glowing red line and onto the thin ice.

Harry scowled and tried to turn around. "Ah, shut up, Blaise!"

"Be still, Harry," Severus ordered, pulling his son's head around so he could finish healing him. "Are you hurt anywhere else?"

Harry thought. "Uh . . .not really. My bum's a little sore."

Severus went to help him up so he could heal it when there came an ominous cracking sound and then a loud wail of terror from Blaise.

"Help! The ice is bre-e-aking-AHH!"

SPLASH!

Blaise fell right through the thin ice and into the freezing water.

He began to flounder and thrash about, screaming.

Severus reacted instantly, pointing a hand towards the hole in the ice and concentrating.  Power flowed out of him in an instinctive stream of bluish white light.

The water temperature changed abruptly from freezing to bath water and then a wave erupted from the hole, carrying Blaise upon its crest, to set him down safely upon the other side of the red line. An instant later it had vanished and the ice had sealed itself.

Blaise was lying face down on the ice, whimpering and shivering violently.

"Blaise! Are you okay?" Neville cried, horrified. 

Severus quickly skated over to Blaise, lifting him into his arms. The boy was blue with cold, and he quickly dried him off with a thought. But it was not enough. Despite his quick reactions, Blaise was still chilled.  He turned back to Harry.  "Harry, can you help Neville? I need to get Blaise home immediately and into a warm bath."

"Sure, Papa," Harry called back, then skated over to Neville and helped him up. "C'mon, Nev. You okay?"

"Yeah. I've hurt myself worse tripping over my shoelaces," his friend said with a rueful grin.  He leaned slightly on Harry they quickly skated off the pond and pulled on their boots. Severus had Apparated back to the house with Blaise by then. "Think Blaise will be okay?"

Harry nodded, stamping his foot into his frozen boot. "It'll take more than a ducking to keep Zabini down, Nev. You ought to know that. Besides, Papa's powers had him dry in a few seconds, so I don't even think he'll get sick."

Overhead, Valeska circled, then dove suddenly down from the sky.

The boys followed her stoop and saw her triumphantly lift a rabbit in her talons. She gave a victorious cry then flew off to eat her bounty.

Neville shuddered. "Ugh! I can't believe she just killed a rabbit."

Harry shrugged. "That's what she eats.  She's a falcon, they have to hunt to survive."

"But she's a familiar. Your dad feeds her."

"Yeah, but she likes to hunt. It's her nature," Harry said philosophically. "Let's go, Nev. I'm cold and hungry." He rubbed his bottom, wincing. Then he began to sprint, or try to, across the lawn towards the manor.

By the time they got back, Hotspur was waiting to take their snowy outerwear and Lina had a nourishing hot lunch on the table of chicken soup and bacon with mayonnaise and lettuce sandwiches and also ham and cheese, plus hot rolls with butter and salt and vinegar crisps. There was also hot apple cider. 

"Thanks, Lina!" Harry said, grinning at the house elf.

"You are most welcome, young master. Now go and wash up. And you also, Master Longbottom."

The boys went to do as they were told, meeting Augustus on their way back from the bathroom.

"Grandpa, did Papa come back with Blaise?" asked Harry.

"He did, and your young friend is now soaking in a bubble bath mixed with healing salts, I'd imagine." Augustus answered.  "He'll be right as rain in an hour. What about you two? Heard you had a bit of an accident?"

He pulled his wand and ran it over the two boys, then healed Neville swiftly of his cut lip and black eye. Neville thanked him shyly. "Run along now and go eat," Augustus ordered gruffly, waving him off. "Henry, let's see what you did to yourself."

"I'm fine," Harry protested. "Papa healed my nose already."

"He told me you had bruises elsewhere," Augustus said, turning his great-grandson about.

Harry went red. "Grandpa, I'm fine!"

Augustus snorted. "If you want to sit on a bruised backside, be my guest, Henry Snape."

Harry reconsidered. "Okay. Heal me."

Augustus tapped his wand twice against Harry's bottom and muttered a healing charm.

The throbbing vanished. "Thanks, Grandpa," Harry said.

"You're welcome, imp. Off with you now and go eat." He sent the boy off to the dining room with a gentle pat on the rear.

Then he Apparated upstairs to see how Blaise and Severus were faring. "Severus, lunch is on the table."

"I'll be down in a minute, Grandfather," Severus replied from the other side of the bathroom door. "We're nearly finished here."

Augustus Apparated into the dining room and began to eat, along with Harry and Neville.

Severus and Blaise arrived a few moments later, Blaise was now pink-cheeked and dry, wrapped in one of Harry's terry green bathrobes and his own clothes, a pair of Harry's slippers on his feet.

Harry looked up from his soup. "Good job, Diver Dan."

Blaise tried to scowl, but Harry's comment was too funny and he ended up laughing instead. He slid into the seat next to Neville.

"You children will be the death of me one day," Severus said, moving over to the seat on the right of Augustus. 

Augustus smirked. "Oh, how often did I say that to your mother and your Aunt Grace!"

Severus cocked an eyebrow.  "Why? Did they fall through thin ice too?"

"Worse. Your aunt was like a monkey, climbed everything. I can't count how many times I healed her from sprains and broken bones as a girl. And Eileen was always experimenting with her mini lab, trying out crazy concoctions.  Most of which exploded. Once she burnt her eyebrows and part of her hair off. Just like you did, I'd imagine."

Severus gave him a wry grin.  "Sometimes. When my father wasn't around." Then he turned back to his soup and sandwich.

When Annamaria came to pick up Blaise just before supper, Severus informed her of the accident, but reassured her that he was now fine.

"Thank goodness you're a Water Master, Sev," Annamaria said, relieved.  "Otherwise he could have come down with pneumonia or worse." She hugged her youngest son to her, making him blush and squirm and mutter, "Santa Maria, Mama! It's not like I died."

"You could have!" she scolded. "What's the matter with you, Blaise Zabini, not paying attention and playing about that way? You coulda drowned!"

"Mama, I can swim. And Mr. Snape was right there," Blaise defended.

"Lucky for you," she gave him an affectionate thump on the back of the head.

"If he does come down with a cold, just dose him with some Pepperup," Severus advised and then the Zabinis Flooed home.

He ran a hand through his hair and thought wryly how there was never a dull moment at Foxfire Hall, no matter what time of the year it was.

 

* * * * * *

December 23, 1990

Longbottom residence:

 

It was two days before Christmas, but the Snapes and Augustus and Blaise had decided to celebrate a little early by coming over to the Longbottoms. Augusta wanted to have them to dinner and let the children open their gifts to each other after dessert.  She had given Augustus and Severus baskets with her special biscuits and sweets and apricot fruit tarts and small mince pies, plus rare vintages of blackberry and raspberry wine which she knew the men would never buy themselves.  She gifted Annamaria with a similar one. 

Annamaria and Marco couldn't make it to the dinner, they were working late on their newest project, a Nerve Blocking potion for people who had been recent victims of the Cruciatus Curse, but Augusta made sure to send them a hamper of the feast, so they wouldn't feel left out. Severus had told them to take the night off, but they had politely but firmly refused. He had not bothered to make an issue of it, understanding fully how obsessed you became when working on a potion and were almost close to getting it right.  Augustus had made him the overseer of Prince Labs two years ago, making him their supervisor, giving him official authority and a pay raise.  None of the other Masters and Mistresses minded, Severus had been unofficially overseeing them for years and they were glad to have a competent boss.

The Longbottom residence was a rambling old cottage style house, though very large, it had three stories, and resided beside a large lake with a dock.  There were some small canoes and a rowboat tied up there, though the boys had been told in no uncertain terms not to go near them without an adult present. "Or else no Christmas gifts for any of you!" scolded Augusta.

They had promised. Besides, it was too cold to go on the lake, and there were lots of interesting things to do inside the Longbottom cottage.  Neville took them on a tour of it, and showed them everything from the attic to the small shed where his Uncle Algie's lab was. 

By the time the children were finished seeing the house, it was time for dinner. Augusta set a fine table, with linen from Scotland and imported crystal from Ireland plus heirloom Christmas china.  There was a variety of food, from leg of lamb with mint sauce to a finely crisped duck a'la orange.  Those we accompanied by hot bread and mounds of creamy potatoes mashed fine with garlic and butter, as well as mashed turnips and roasted cauliflower with cheese, plus a huge green salad, a she-crab bisque, and small pigs-in-a-blanket for appetizers.  There was wine for the adults and pumpkin juice and cranberry juice for the children.

All the boys ate heartily, and Harry even ate the vegetables Severus put on his plate without a fuss for once. He was gradually growing out of his aversion to green things, and found the salad with blue cheese vinegrette quite tasty, especially with the croutons sprinkled over it.

"That's Gran's specialty," Neville told Harry as he ate his duck. "She likes salad. Learned the recipe from Mrs. Zabini."

Blaise smirked happily. "Told you, my mama makes the best salad. She gave your gran the vegetables from our garden, I can tell."

Harry knew that was true, because Annamaria was forever sending Severus home with produce from her abundant garden, and they usually ate it for weeks afterwards.  He sometimes wondered if Annamaria wanted to feed every family in north Yorkshire.

"You set a fine table, Augusta," said Augustus.

The former Auror blushed. "That's not really my doing, my house elves Snozberry and Ellida and Avery do it. All I made was a salad."

"And it's an excellent one," Severus commented, taking another helping of it. He looked over at his son. "Right, Harry?"

"It's delicious, Gran Augusta," Harry said, responding to his father's silent cue.  Augusta had told Blaise and him to call her Gran like Neville did, she found she was more comfortable with that address.

"I can't wait for the sweets," Neville said eagerly.

"And after . . .presents," Blaise said and winked at Harry.

Harry smiled inwardly, imagining the shock upon Neville's face when he saw what they had gotten him. The two friends had pooled all their allowance and gotten Neville a very special gift this year, one that not even their parents knew about. They had gotten Blaise's older brother and sister to take them Christmas shopping that year and had bought it then and had shipped to the Zabini residence early that morning.

Blaise had then Flooed over with the large crate and hidden it behind the Longbottom's huge twinkling evergreen, which looked as if it had real snow on some of the branches as well as lights and ornaments. It was a magnificent tree, and Harry loved it. 

The dessert was first rate, a plum pudding, an apple pie, a chocolate cake with sprinkles and all kinds of biscuits and candy. Harry didn't stuff his face, as usual though, because he wanted dessert to be over quickly so they could get to opening of presents.

But the adults chatted over coffee and tea and made Harry want to scream, they were so slow. Why couldn't they talk about stuff over the presents? He wondered irritably.

At last the house elves cleaned everything up and it was time.

Neville and the boys rushed over to the tree. Harry looked around and then whispered to Blaise, "Where'd you put it?"

"Over there, behind the sofa," Blaise indicated the paisley sofa right next to the tree.

"What are you two whispering about?" asked Neville curiously. He was wearing brown trousers and a red jumper with a reindeer on it over a white shirt. 

"Nothing," Blaise said quickly. "Just wondering where your Uncle Algie was."

"Oh. He's down at the pub probably, celebrating the latest win of the Cannons over the Wasps." Neville said. "He'll be along later." He looked over his shoulder as Augustus escorted his gran into the room and seated her on the sofa. He then sat beside her, leaving a wing chair for Severus. "Gran, may I start giving out the presents?"

"Yes, Neville." Gran waved her hand for him to give out the presents.

Neville started with Harry. "This for you, Harry."

He gave Harry a fancy envelope and a small box. Harry opened the box first. Inside was a huge Honeydukes chocolate bar, the Friendship Bar, because you could share it with a friend and still have enough for yourself. "Thanks, Nev! How did you know I wanted one?"

Neville laughed. "You only told me about ten times last time we went to Honeydukes." He pointed at the envelope. "Open that one."

Harry did, and found inside a card and in that were tickets to all the upcoming Quidditch matches at Phoenix Pitch. "Wow! Quidditch tickets! Thanks, Nev! That's awesome!"

Severus groaned and looked at Augusta. "I hope you're taking him to at least one."

Augusta laughed. "Not on your life, Severus, my dear. That's what brothers like Algie are for. He's the Quidditch fanatic in this family."

Neville had handed Blaise a similar envelope and box. Only inside his was a huge bag of Droobles Best Chewing Gum, since Blaise loved gum. He also got season tickets and jumped up and down for joy.  "Ha! Oh Alex is gonna be so jealous! And I'm not sharing with him unless he asks me real nicely. Thanks bunches, Nev!"

"Now for ours," Harry said excitedly, rising to crawl behind the sofa and drag out the medium sized crate.

Severus frowned. "What did you buy, Harry Snape? You never got around to telling me."

"You'll see, Papa. It's something Neville has been wanting forever, so Blaise and I put our money together and bought it." He shoved the mystery crate towards Neville. "Hurry and open it, Nev!"

The crate had a huge red and green bow on with a large handwritten tag that said To Neville, From Harry & Blaise.

Neville was as puzzled as the adults and he carefully unfastened the crate latch and opened the door. Then he knelt and peered inside. It was dark except for something soft and furry lying in the corner.

"Huh?" Neville reached in and suddenly the occupant of the crate woke and bounded out.

It was a little white and brown crup, a magical dog with a forked tail that was wagging a mile a minute. Crups were known to be extremely loyal to their wizard masters and ferocious towards Muggles. They also ate everything, including furniture and metal without any ill effects. He had short soft fur, mostly white, save for two brown paws, brown on his tail tips, and a large brown saddle on his back and ears.  He jumped all over Neville and licked his whole face, yipping happily.

"A puppy!" he cried. "I always wanted a pet!" he hugged the little dog. His whole face glowed in delight.

Blaise and Harry gave each other high fives.

But the adults were less than pleased. Augusta looked as if she were going to pass out. "A crup puppy? In my house? Oh, good heavens!"

"Are you allergic, Augusta?" asked Lord Prince.

"No, it's just . . .puppies are into everything and they make a huge mess . . ."

Severus wanted to die of embarrassment. What had Harry been thinking, to get Neville a pet like this without asking him? "Augusta, this was none of my doing. Harry never informed me he was going to buy Neville a puppy." He frowned and beckoned to his son, who was petting the puppy. "Henry Snape, front and center."

Harry looked up, alarm clouding his features. Severus only used those words in that tone when he was in big trouble. But he couldn't figure out what he had done. He rose and came over to where Severus was. "Yes, sir?"

"Harry, why didn't you ask permission before you went and bought a puppy for a gift?"

"I wanted it to be a surprise," Harry answered. "What's the problem? Nev loves him. It's a great gift."

"For him, yes. But what about Gran Augusta? Did it ever occur to you that she never got a Neville a dog because she didn't want to have the responsibility of caring for one this late in life?"

"But . . .Nev needed a pet," Harry's face fell. He looked over at Augusta, who was regarding the puppy as if it were a demon from hell.

"You could have gotten him a toad," she sniffed.

"Gran, please. I'll take care of him all by myself," Neville pleaded. "He won't be a bit of trouble."

No sooner were the words out of her mouth than the puppy jumped out of Neville's lap and went and lifted his leg right on the sofa . . .and Augusta's shoe!

Augusta gasped. "Why you . . .wretched thing!" she yelled, and pulled out her wand.

The puppy cringed and went to hide under the tree, Neville crawled after him, and Augustus muttered a Cleaning charm to erase the puppy's mistake.

"That does it! I want that . . .ill-mannered beast out of here!" Augusta scolded.

Neville burst into tears. "Gran, no! He didn't mean it. He's a puppy. He can't control himself."

"Exactly, and that's why I don't like dogs. Do I look like a tree, Neville Longbottom?"

Harry and Blaise couldn't help it. They burst out laughing at that comment.

Severus was glaring at Harry, feeling very tempted to turn his scamp of a son over his knee for this latest caper. He grabbed Harry by the ear and dragged him into the dining room. "Stop laughing, young man! It's not funny!" he ordered, giving the boy a brisk shake.

Harry quit laughing, seeing by the expression on Severus' face that he was in trouble yet again.  "Papa, I'm sorry . . .but I just wanted to give Neville what he really wanted for Christmas. How come you're mad at me?"

Severus went down on one knee so he could look Harry in the eye. "Son, you should never get a living creature for someone without asking an adult first. Like your parent or theirs. What if one of the Longbottoms had been allergic to dogs? Or they didn't have room to keep a dog?"

"But they aren't and they do have room," Harry argued. "This house is really big. And they have a big lawn with acres of space."

"Even so, you should have asked me first."

"You would have said no." Harry pouted, his lower lip sticking out.

"I would have said to ask Augusta."

"Then she would have said no, and Nev would have never gotten a really cool familiar like I have and Blaise has and you do." Blaise had a Brazilian fruit bat named Julius Caesar as his familiar. "And he deserves one."

"Harry, that's not the point." Severus growled. "I'm afraid you're going to have to return the puppy. Where did you get it?"

Harry looked as if he were about to cry. Return a Christmas present? He couldn't do that! "No! They won't take him back," he cried, though he wasn't sure if it was true. "He was the last of the litter and we got a bargain on him," he said, which was true. The puppy had been the last one available and the manager had given them a discount when they told him they were buying it for a friend. "They'll kill him or something if we give him back."

Severus looked skeptical. "Harry, I doubt that."

"They will! B'cause no one wants a runt, the shopkeeper said so!" He sniffled, then added, "Besides, whoever heard of returning a Christmas puppy?"

"Christmas presents get returned all the time," Severus began.

Out in the living room, Neville was still pleading with Augusta to let him keep the puppy.  "But Gran, you can't return a present! I promise I'll take care of him, you won't even see him, I'll keep him in my room and walk him and feed him and . . .and . . ."

"Don't be ridiculous, Neville! You can't keep a puppy cooped in your room. Dogs need space to run, especially crups."

"He'll make a good guard dog when he's grown, Gran Augusta," chimed in Blaise helpfully. He hadn't been expecting this sort of resistance. Who could resist the puppy's sad brown eyes? He shot a glance at Harry, who looked like he was getting his head bitten off by the elder Snape.

"Not mine!" Harry cried. "Papa, I saved all year with Blaise to get that puppy." He set his jaw firmly. "I won't return it."

"Henry Snape, don't you take that tone with me," Severus warned, his eyes glinting dangerously.

"But it's not fair.  If somebody got me a broom, would you make them return it?"

"That's different. Now, I want you to go over and apologize to Augusta for getting Neville an inappropriate gift and offer to take it back-"

Harry remained stubbornly silent.

Severus put his hands behind his back so he wouldn't be tempted to throttle his stubborn child. Then he began reciting potions ingredients rapidly in his head. A is for asphodel, B is for bezoar, C is for comfrey, D is for dittany, E is for elecampine, F is for foxglove, G is for gargoyle dust, H is for hearts-ease, I is for iguana skin, J is for Jobberknoll feathers, K is for knotgrass, L is for lacewing flies, M is for Mandrake juice, N is for nettles, O is for ox tail, P is for porcupine quills, Q is for quinine, R is for runespoor eggs, S is for sopophorus bean, T is for tubeworms, U is for unicorn hair, V is for vampire blood, W is for wormwood, X is for Xantheria dust, Y is for yeti fur, Z is for zinnia petals.

When he opened his eyes, he found his son had slyly used the chance to scuttle over to Augustus and plead his case.  Humph! We'll see how far he gets, Severus thought, returning to the living room. 

" . . .and you wouldn't want the puppy to be killed, would you, Grandfather?" the little manipulator was saying earnestly.

"Killed? Henry, surely they wouldn't . . "

"Yes, they would. That's what the pet store manager said," Harry embellished the story.  "He said we either bought him or he'd have to . . .get rid of him." He made a slashing motion across his throat for emphasis.

Severus wanted to swat him one.

To his astonishment, Augusta fell for his conniving son's antics. "Kill the puppy? But that's . . .that's inhumane!"

"Then you don't want me to go and dump him in the snow, Gran?" asked Neville tearfully. The puppy was licking his face and whimpering.

"I most certainly do not!" she cried. "What do you think I am . . .a murderer?" she sputtered.

"Then . . .can I keep him?"

"I . . . well . . .I suppose . . .if you promise me on your Name and wizard honor that you will clean up and feed and walk this nuisance without me telling you, then he can stay. But if he chews so much as a thread of my Arabian carpet, or eats a leg of my furniture . . .both you and the dratted animal will be in the doghouse, all right. Am I clear?"

"Yes, Gran." Neville said, then he jumped up and hugged her, and the puppy followed, jumping into Augusta's lap and washing her face.

"Ugh! Little nuisance! Humph!" She frowned at the puppy, then began to pet it. "Nothing but mischief and mayhem, you are!" The crup wagged his tail.

"Hey, that's a good name for him, Gran." Neville said.

"What is?"

"Trouble."

Augustus began to chuckle. 

His former student glared at him, then threw a doily at him. 

The puppy barked and wagged his tail, liking his new name.

Harry got the leash he had bought out of his coat pocket and handed it to Neville. "Here, Nev. Let's take him outside."

"Okay. Come on, Trouble," Neville put the leash on the pup's collar and they raced outside together.

"Augusta, if you want, we can bring the dog back . . ." Severus offered.

"Never mind, Severus. Dog's bonded to Neville now, wouldn't be right to separate them.  Besides, as your grandfather said, Nev does need a companion around here. It must get lonely just being around us old folks . . .maybe this will help him become more . . .confident."

"I still can't believe Harry went behind my back like that," Severus sighed.

"He's a Slytherin, all right," Augustus remarked.  "Too clever for his own good."

Severus rolled his eyes.  He would discuss this further with his son when they returned home. For now he figured he had better have some more wine. 

* * * * * *

Christmas came and went without mishap at Foxfire Hall, except for the amusing habit of the familiars, namely Valeska and Calin, getting their masters their own version of gifts. Valeska gave Severus a freshly killed rabbit, bringing it to him along with the morning paper on Christmas morning, and Calin gave Harry a nice large rat, putting it beside his shoe.  Mystic, who was too old to hunt anymore, brought Augustus a dead koi from the fishpond. 

Though they were less than delighted with the "gifts", the wizards made sure to praise their familiars for their effort. Then they gave the dead animals to Hotspur to dispose of.  The elf quickly cut up the hare and the koi and saved them for treats for the animals, the rat he tossed upon the rubbish heap. 

Harry spent extra time playing with his cat that day as her present, feeding her treats and combing her and putting a big green bow on her. He also brushed and fed Mystic, who appreciated the attention, but left off the bow, for the old tom would never stand for such frippery. Valeska received treats as well, though the proud falcon groomed herself and Severus spent two hours out with her, watching her hunt ducks and pheasant, which they later ate for dinner the following week. Valeska was trained to come to both the lure and a special whistle Severus had made for her, and she never failed to come in when he summoned her. The bond between them was strong, and Severus rarely feared she would go rogue and fly from him. 

The night after Christmas, Harry ate too many sweets and rather than wake Severus with his stomachache, decided to get his own Stomach Soother. He crept into Severus' bathroom, located the medicine cabinet, and found the Extra-Strength Stomach Soother. He didn't bother reading the instructions upon the vial. Little did he know that an improper dose could make a person have vivid dreams, especially a child like Harry.

He carefully measured out two spoonfuls, which was the normal dose for a regular vial of Stomach Soother. The potion tasted sort of like peppermint and strawberry, not a great combination, but it worked almost instantly. He quickly shoved the vial back into the cabinet when he heard Severus cough in his sleep, beating a hasty retreat back to his room. 

He then crawled under the covers, putting his feet next to the warm bulk of his calico cat, and fell asleep. 

Only to wake screaming in terror some fifteen minutes later. He had dreamed he was locked in a dark box and couldn't get out and was slowly sinking or drowning in icy water. The dream was so vivid that he couldn't stop shaking and crying, even when Calin crawled into his lap and purred, her paws wrapped about his neck in a cat hug.

His screams brought Severus at a run, his wand out. "Harry? What's wrong?"

He burst into his son's room expecting to find something threatening him, like a boggart, for there was still one that lived in the attic, but instead he found his son shivering and weeping into his calico's fur. "Harry? What is it? A nightmare?"

His son nodded, his face still hidden by orange, black, and white fur. Calin purred loudly. 

Severus sat down next to him on the bed, ignoring the mess of chocolate wrappers and Quidditch pre-game magazine stats scattered on the floor. "Want to talk to me about it?" he asked, rubbing Harry's back gently. "Must have been a pretty bad one."  Harry used to have nightmares way back when they first came to Foxfire Hall, but he rarely had them now. 

After a few minutes, Harry dragged his face up and used his sleeve to wipe away the tears. He sniffed, his nose had begun to drip as well.

Severus caught his sleeve before he could use it. "Do not do that. Use this," he handed his son a handkerchief he had found in Harry's nightstand. After Harry had blown his nose, he asked again, "Would you like to tell me what you dreamed?"

Harry looked down at his cat, who had settled in his lap, and began to stroke her. "It was . . .I was in a box, it was dark and I was sinking into some icy water . . .I could feel the water coming inside and filling up the box, I was cold and I knew I was going to die . . ."

Severus hugged him gently.  "That wasn't real.  Just your mind playing tricks on you. You know that, don't you?"

Harry nodded, his face against Severus' shoulder. It felt good to listen to the other's heartbeat.  "I know. Sorry I woke you. I didn't mean to."

"You can wake me anytime, son. For whatever reason." Severus told him, nudging a chocolate bar wrapper with his foot.  "I'm not surprised you had a nightmare after looking at how much sweets you ate. Did you eat your entire stocking full, you foolish boy?"

"Err . . .no.  Not quite."

"From what I see here, I'm surprised you don't have a raging stomachache as well."

Harry shifted uneasily. Why did his papa always have to be so observant? He could never get away with anything!

Severus was giving him a pointed Look. "Harry, do you have a stomachache?"

"No," Harry said, pulling away.

"Harry, tell me the truth. No playing the hero."

"I don't. . . .Not anymore."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Harry winced. Severus was giving him his confess-right-now-young-man look and Harry had never been able to withstand that particular glance.  "I . . .err . . .took a potion before for it."

"A potion? Where did you get it?"

"From your cabinet in the bathroom. I took the . . .Extra Strength Stomach Soother." Harry admitted.

"How much?" Severus demanded angrily.

Harry told him.

"Henry Snape, how many times have I told you never take a potion without asking me? That dose was too strong, it ended up giving you nightmares."

"But it's a Stomach Soother. How could it do that?"

"It's a side effect I haven't been able to get rid of, and in children under twelve it will cause nightmares unless the proper dosage is taken. You could have made yourself worse taking that without knowing what you were doing. Why the blazes didn't you wake me?"

"I . . .I didn't want to make you get up," Harry began, guiltily.  "It wasn't that bad."

"No? Bad enough for you to take a potion to feel better," Severus pointed out.

"I just couldn't sleep," Harry muttered, now feeling very stupid. He really did know better. "I . . .forgot to read the warnings on the vial."

Severus shook his head. "Merlin save me from children who think they know it all." He put a finger under Harry's chin. "Look at me.  Next time you have some kind of sickness, no matter what it is, you come to me first. You do not, under any circumstances, attempt to dose yourself. I don't care what is wrong with you, if you have an upset stomach or diarrhea or constipation, whatever, you come to me or call me, am I understood?"

"Yes, sir." He flushed red at the mere thought of telling Severus he had any kind of problem like that.

"Good. Because I'm locking the potions cabinet the way I used to when you were small, since I can't trust you to use the brains you were born with," Severus said sternly.

Harry gaped at him. "No, Papa, don't do that! I'm not a ruddy baby."

"Too late. It's already done." Severus waved his wand. "Lie down and close your eyes.  I'd give you Dreamless Sleep, but since this is a potion-generated side effect I can't do that, so you'll have to go back to sleep the ordinary way."

"Can I have some warm milk with honey?" Harry whined, still smarting from the scolding.

"Warm milk yes, with a few drops of honey," Severus acquiesced. He summoned Lina and she brought the milk for him.

Harry drank it, feeling somewhat better. Then he lay down and Severus tucked him in, placing Calin beside him.  He turned over, and felt a familiar hand patting his back, which was how Severus used to get him to fall asleep when he was small.

"Close your eyes," the deep voice ordered. "I'll keep watch, never fear."

Harry obeyed, knowing no nightmare would disturb him so long as his father kept watch.  It wouldn't dare.

Severus stayed until Harry was sleeping soundly, then he left to return to his own room and catch up on his own lost sleep. His watch read 11:35.

 

Little did he know he would be experiencing his own gut-wrenching nightmare that night. He woke panting and gasping, the pillow between his teeth to muffle his own scream of rage and terror.  It was a few moments before he could breathe normally again. He had not had a nightmare like that in years, not since he had left Hogwarts and the pressure put upon him by Lucius Malfoy and others of his ilk to join the Death Eaters.

In it had heard the maniacal laughter of Voldemort and the dark wizard had taunted him, saying that it was too late, that he had found Harry Potter after all and now he would finish him off the way he had James and Lily.  Severus had been helpless, his magic refused to work and he had been forced to watch as Voldemort killed both his beloved son and his grandfather. Then Voldemort had made him a slave, forced to live with the terrible knowledge that he could not save his family and all his years of hiding Harry away was for naught.

Severus sat up, casting a Warming charm upon himself to banish the chill.  Must be the night for bad dreams. He looked at his watch. It now read 2:00 AM.  He tried for ten minutes to fall asleep, but the nightmare haunted him despite all his attempts at meditation. Finally, he threw off the covers and decided to use more conventional means of ridding himself of the damned dream.

He was going to get a glass of red wine.

He checked once more upon Harry, who was still asleep, snoring softly, and then he padded downstairs to the drawing room, where Augustus kept the wine cabinet.  To his utter shock he found he wasn't the only occupant of Foxfire Hall awake at this hour.

Augustus was sitting in his favorite recliner in front of the fire, a half-full glass of firewhiskey clutched in his hand.  He was staring into the fire, his face a study in misery.

"You too, Grandfather?" Severus murmured.  What was in the gravy tonight that made us all have nightmares this way? Well, Harry's was potion induced, but I can't claim that for mine or Grandfather's. He moved to the wine cabinet, unlocked it with a soft word, and took out an aged Merlot.  He poured himself a glassful, then corked the bottle and replaced it. "I just settled Harry down from a nightmare also a few hours ago."

Augustus nodded, still looking into the fire, clearly troubled and upset.

He went to sit in the recliner opposite Augustus, sipping the fruity Merlot slowly. Gradually, he felt his heart quit racing. 

For several long moments neither man said anything.

Finally, Augustus drank a bit more of his tumbler of whiskey and said, looking into the fire, "Sometimes the past haunts despite all we do to brush it under the rug and forget it. The memories and regrets return . . .they always return . . ."

"What . . .do you regret?" Severus asked, almost afraid to hear the answer.

Augustus sighed. "Many things.  When you reach a certain age, you start to look back and wonder what would have been if you had done things differently . . . Drusilla always claimed I was a stubborn fool for telling Eileen she was no longer welcome in my home after she married that damn bounder . . .I was angry, she wouldn't listen, claimed she loved that miserable Muggle and he loved her . . .Ha! I could tell from the moment I met him that he was looking for a pretty girl to give him easy money, that he was nothing but a slick-talking bastard."

Severus grimaced. "You don't need to tell me that."

Augustus looked up sadly. "No. I don't. I wish . . .I had swallowed my pride and told Eileen to come home.  I would have protected her and you from the scoundrel."

"Even though I was half his blood?"

Augustus coughed. "You were my blood too, boy! My only grandchild, I would have raised you like a son.  But I was too proud and so was she . . ." He shook his head. "So many mistakes that cannot be undone . . .I am sorry, Severus. I cannot make up the past . . .and that is my greatest regret of all." He took another drink.  "Tell me one thing. Did she die alone?"

"No.  I was there beside her," Severus answered. "She died with all the family she had then."

"He was not there?"

"No. He was in jail," Severus said bitterly. "I put him there. Filed a report of abuse and aggravated assault. He went after me when I came home after finishing school, you see. Tried to break my head with a cricket bat. I used my magic and knocked him into a damn wall.  He came up swinging, hit me once, and then I slammed him a good one and knocked him out.  Then I called the police and he was arrested. Mum and I both testified as witnesses, and I used a Silvertongue Charm to speed up the legal process so he was put away with a speedy trial, instead of letting it drag on for months.  Then we were free and could finally have a decent life."

"Until she took sick."

"Yes.  A year later. Only a year." Severus recalled sorrowfully.  "But we enjoyed that year.  I think she started to get sick before that, but didn't want to let me know.  The letter she wrote was dated a year before she passed.  And Grandfather, she didn't die resenting you.  She wasn't that kind of person."

 "No," his grandfather agreed softly.  "She was like her mother that way. And unlike me." He stared at the rest of the whiskey, then tossed the remainder into the fire. The fire blazed up in colorful flames before dying back down. "Doesn't help any," he muttered. "What brings you down here at this hour, Severus?"

"A nightmare," Severus replied, figuring if his grandfather could admit to what was haunting him, he should be able to also.

"Mmm . . .must have been a terrible one for you to resort to that," he jerked his head at Severus' glass, which was half full.

"I dreamed of Voldemort . . ." Severus admitted quietly, finally able to say the name without the customary hesitation.  "He . . .killed Harry and you . . .because I wouldn't join him . . .and because Harry was . . .his enemy."

"A mere child . . .the enemy of the most evil wizard of our time?" Augustus said softly.  "How very strange. One would think Albus Dumbledore, the self-proclaimed greatest wizard in the world," here Augustus' tone grew sarcastic, "would be more likely to rouse Voldemort."

Severus sensed the older wizard was probing for answers and for a moment he resisted.  Then he met the other's eyes, and saw that Augustus already guessed the truth. There was no point in hiding the truth anymore. He was sick of carrying the burden.  The elder Prince had been speaking of regrets and forgiveness a moment ago.  Well, then, he would see how much Augustus meant those words.

 "True. But the boy is more than he seems.  He is the Boy Who Lived."

"Harry Potter."

"Yes."

"And your son as well?"

Severus was startled. What was it with everyone assuming he would encourage a wife to cheat on her husband? Even if he thought she made a mistake in marrying the git.  "No, Grandfather. I have never had an affair with Lily Potter. In or out of school. I . . .loved her.  But she never loved me. At least not enough for her to put aside the prejudice of her House and trust me when I said I would never follow the dark path."

"She chose the Gryffindor James Potter over you," Augustus stated, finally understanding the depth of his grandson's anguish.  The rejection of the only woman you had ever loved hurt worse than outright hatred. 

"Yes. I never understood it and I never agreed with it, but there you have it. She left me and I walked away and became what I was born to be-a Potions Master."

"You never saw her again?"

"No. I was far too busy with the Academy and even if I had time to socialize, she was another man's wife, Grandfather.  I might have been poor as a church mouse, but I still had my pride.  I would not stoop to taking her to my bed, she was not free and it would have been wrong, I am no lecher."

"So the boy is not yours?"

"Not mine by blood, no.  But he is my son here," Severus tapped his chest emphatically.  "Shall I tell you how he came to be so?"

"Yes, but first I wish you to answer a question." Augustus said and his voice turned suddenly hard. "Why did you hide this from me all those years? Why did you not tell me straight off, Severus Tobias Snape?"

Severus found him flushing as if he were Harry's age at the rebuke.  "I . . .I thought it best if you thought Harry was my son . . .because you were pureblood and Mum always told me that blood was the most important thing to an old House."

Augustus scowled. "You thought I would condemn an innocent child because he was not related to me?"

"At first I did."

"Damn you for an addlepated fool, Severus! Do I look like Albus Dumbledore to you? Do I?"

"No, sir. I am sorry. I misjudged you."

"Humph! Misjudged, aye, you did. I would never have done what that fool lion did and left a baby upon the doorstep of Muggles.  He didn't even bother asking if they wanted him or if they could afford another mouth to feed. Stupidity!"

"He assumed they would take him in. Petunia was Lily's sister."

"Assumed! Pah! You don't assume, not in a case like that! Even a child knows better.  You get your facts straight and you ask.  That was the coot's first mistake."

Severus's mouth twitched at hearing Augustus refer to Dumbledore as a "coot", when he himself could have borne the same label.  "I think he paid them money for Harry's upkeep."

"Oh, yes, money solves all," Augustus sneered. "And did he put a spell on them to make certain they used the money for the boy and not frittered it all away on themselves? No, of course not.  Because bloody Gryffindors assume everyone is honest and aboveboard, and don't put themselves first and foremost.  They think Muggles have the same code of honor as an Old Family.  Ha! People aren't like that. Most people put themselves first and devil take everyone else.  Especially people with a poor relation dumped upon their doorstep." Augustus shook his head in disgust.  "Merlin save me from delusional Gryffindors with dreams of grandeur. Someone should have given Dumbledore a good knock on the head, maybe it might have brought him into reality.  What happened?"

Severus sighed in relief that Augustus' temper was turned away from him for the moment. "As near as I can figure it, they decided after two months that they didn't want him, and instead of contacting anyone from our world they . . .went and dumped him into a manger in a nativity scene in St. Paul's church.  On Christmas Eve. Left him like a sack of groceries, in a shabby blanket on the coldest night of the year.  That was where I found him, Grandfather. In the manger, screaming his lungs out."

"Blessed Merlin! They left him to die!"

"Aye, they did, the bastards.  I followed a star and found him, I was barely making ends meet myself, but I couldn't just leave him there. I took him home to my flat, he was sick with a bad intestinal virus, had me up all night . . ." Severus related the story of that long ago Christmas Eve and morning and how he had suspected the boy had been neglected and abused by his relatives.

"I was desperate. I recognized him from his picture in the paper, and I knew that Lily would have wanted me to look after him, but I dared not let anyone know who I had taken in.  Dumbledore would have taken him from me, he wouldn't have wanted the Boy Who Lived to be raised by a destitute Slytherin Potions Master. And I couldn't allow that . . .he had been hurt enough already by his so-called relatives and I . . .I loved him."

"I can see that. Then you came to me, and thought I was like all those fool stuck-up pureblood jackasses-the Blacks and the Malfoys."

"Yes."

"But after you moved in . . .why did you still keep the truth from me, Severus?" he asked, hurt now evident in his tone.  "Surely you could tell I was not like them, that I loved the child myself.  Why didn't you trust me, damn it? I would have never thrown you out."

Severus hung his head. "I . . .don't know.  I was afraid . . .and it just seemed easier to . . .keep on the way I had begun . . .I am sorry . . .I should have told you long ago . . ."

"You should have," Augustus said sharply.  "Idiot!" he reached over and cuffed the younger man on the ear.  "Did you really think you could fool me for so long? I might be old, but I'm not senile. I suspected for years that the boy was Harry Potter."

"You never said anything . . .why?"

"Because I didn't wish to treat my own grandson like a suspect. I wanted you to come to me of your own accord.  I never thought it would take so long. I suppose you've inherited my stubbornness as well."

"Yes, sir." Severus lifted his head and looked the other in the eye.

Augustus gave him a lopsided smile.  "Is that the only secret you've been keeping from me, Severus?"

"It is. I swear upon my magic and my life."

"Good. Then I can forgive you and we can get on with our lives," Augustus said bluntly. "And you can forgive yourself too and quit wallowing in guilt, Mr. Snape, or do I need to smack some sense into your stubborn skull as well as my own?"

Severus allowed himself to smile a little at that. Augustus understood! He hadn't lost his temper and thrown him out. Relief flowed through him in a vast wave. "No, Grandfather. I'll remember." He rubbed his left ear. Over a hundred or not, the old codger still had a quick hand. 

"You'd better.  Because guilt-stricken martyrs are not ones I would choose for my heir."

Severus choked on his wine. "Your . . .heir?"

"Something happen to your hearing all of a sudden?" Augustus demanded testily. "Of course you're my heir.  Besides being the last of my bloodline, you're the one I would trust with all my holdings and assets.  You've got a good head on your shoulders and know something of how the world works, enough so somebody won't fleece you.  And you're my only descendent to inherit an Elemental Mastery.  You are the only one worthy to be my heir."

Severus was speechless.  To have Augustus' forgiveness was more than enough, but he had never expected the old man to praise him like this, and as for making him the heir to the Prince holdings . . .it had always been a possibility, since he was the last descendent, but Severus had not really trusted that either.  Augustus Prince could have done whatever he wished with his fortune, there was no rule written that he had to give it to a relation.  Even if it was tradition.

Augustus grinned, happy that he had shocked his grandson speechless for once. Then he went on.  "In the event of my demise, you need to know several things."

"Demise?" Severus found his voice. "You're not-?" his throat closed, unable to get the words out.

"No. I'm not dying, not by a long shot." Augustus waved his concern off.  "But you should still be prepared for what will occur when I do pass the Veil.  First, you will feel something of my passing.  An absence . . .of my magical presence.  Second, you will receive this ring, the Prince signet." He showed Severus the heavy gold signet with the green emerald inscribed with the Prince crest.  "Only the lord or lady of Foxfire Hall wears this ring, and only their chosen heir receives it after their death.  It is the key to the manor and the estate, and the magic surrounding it. Only the lord can alter the wards and then only with the ring upon his finger. Oh, and it cannot be worn by a wizard who has embraced the dark. It will reject the wizard then and seek the next possible candidate. Third, you shall have full control of all my assets and holdings, including my vault in Gringotts. I shall spell all this out in my will as well, though the ring coming to you is incontrovertible proof that you are my chosen heir. Fourth, you shall also inherit the title Lord Prince and Lord Thornton, as fitting your station as Head of the Prince family."

"I understand, Grandfather." And I don't even want to think of you dying.  "Thank you, sir. I don't-"

"Severus Snape if you say you don't deserve it, I shall come over there and box your ears!" Augustus growled.  "I am the Lord of Foxfire Hall and I say you do. End of story. I wish that bastard who sired you were here now, I would hex him into pieces for what he did to your self-esteem. And I'd give your mother the edge of my tongue too for allowing him to do so.  Hear me now, once and for all, you are more than worthy to be my heir.  I would not trust an incompetent buffoon with my life's work."

Severus felt his heart swell to bursting. He knew Augustus Prince was a man of exacting standards and it was a great achievement to be acknowledged as worthy by him, a man he respected and loved as he never had his own father. He blinked back tears, he was so overcome.

Abruptly, the elder wizard rose and clasped his shoulder. "One last question, Severus, and then I shall seek my bed. When will you tell Henry?"

That was the one question Severus did not truly have an answer to. "I don't know."

Augustus sighed. "Are you afraid he'll hate you too?"

"Partly. And partly because I don't know how to tell a boy I've raised as my own all these years that I'm not really his father."

"But you are his father, Severus. In every way that matters save one. He is a Snape and a Prince too.  Blood is not everything. Tell him, Severus. He's old enough to understand why you did what you did. And you can always adopt him afterwards, if he consents. Then he'll be your heir."

"Yes, you're right. I'll think on it. But not tonight. I'm too muddled with wine and exhaustion. I'm glad we talked, however."

"Me too. Secrets weigh you down," the lord of Foxfire Hall said sagely. Then he yawned and said, "Well, I'm for bed. How about you?"

Severus finished the last of his Merlot. "Yes. Good night, Grandfather. You do me a great honor."

"Good night, Severus.  I give honor where honor is due, grandson." Then Augustus Apparated back up to his room, feeling better than he had in weeks. He just prayed that Harry took the news well, for it would devastate Severus if he reacted badly to it.  And something ought to be done about those Dursleys as well, they should not be allowed off for what they had done, justice needed to be visited upon them, the old Auror thought grimly.

The End.
End Notes:
Comments? Well, Harry finally made Sev recite the whole alphabet of potions ingredients, LOL!

All of you who guessed Augustus reaction--angry and then forgiving--get 100 House points and a Euphoria draft!

Now . . .how do you think Harry will react to the news?

Find out next chapter!

And thanks again for making Away in A Manger a Featured story! I really appreciate it!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2016