Away in a Manger by Snapegirl
Past Featured StorySummary: On Christmas Eve, an unwanted child is left in a manger and found by a young Potions Master, changing both their lives forever. AU, implied child abuse, neglect, possible CP, Sev raises Harry.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Runaway, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 176119 Read: 202233 Published: 07 Dec 2009 Updated: 11 Feb 2010
They Came Upon A Midnight Clear by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Severus and Harry go to visit Snape's grandfather

He started to unfold the letter when Harry’s voice interrupted him insistently. “Hawwy get out! Nap all done!”

Severus didn’t know it, but that was what Harry had always heard Dudley say when he wanted to be taken out of his crib after a nap. So, for the first time ever, he repeated it and then waited to see what happened.

“Just a minute,” Severus called, then he set the letter down and walked slowly over to the curtained “bedroom”.

Harry was standing in the crib, looking across the room expectantly. “Hawwy out now,” he said to the Tall One.

Severus came and stood before him. “Please,” he said firmly. He didn’t know if Harry was too young to learn manners, but he was determined to not become a slave to the youngster. “Please let me out now.”

The green eyes blinked. He held out his arms to his caretaker. “Nap all done! Hawwy come out.”

“Please,” Severus repeated.

Harry tilted his head. Plainly the Tall One wanted something from him first. Tentatively, he said, “Pwease?”

“Yes. Very good!” Severus said. “Now you may come out.”

He gently lifted the boy out of the crib.

Harry snuggled against him for a moment before turning and trying to grab his plushie. “Bea . . .come out!”

“All right, calm down.” Severus grabbed Professor Hush-a-bye from the crib and handed him to Harry. “Happy now?” he asked, somewhat sarcastically.

Harry gave him a grin. “Hawwy hungwy.”

Severus carried him into the kitchen, he wasn’t surprised the boy was hungry, he must be getting his appetite back. He placed a cushion on the chair and sat Harry on it. Then he gave the child some banana cut into pieces and some dry cereal, as well as a bottle of milk. “There, eat your snack while I read this, Mr. Impatience.”

Harry began to eat eagerly, cramming some cereal into his mouth.

He carefully unfolded the parchment, noting that it was of the best quality, creamy and heavy and stamped with the rampant leopard crest. Written in bright black ink was the following message.

To my grandson Severus,

I take pen in hand to reply to your letter, which I had just received yesterday. It was one of my deepest regrets that I never spoke with Eileen before she died. She did, however, share with me the occasion of your birth and your acceptance to Hogwarts. You are obviously finished with school now and from the sound of things seem to be in financial difficulty. I am not surprised, since Britain has always undervalued its Potions Masters. In that regard, things have changed very little since my day.

People value least what they need most. Such is the way of the world. Without Potions Masters, we would be in sorry straits with regard to medicine and healing and many other things as well. Yet a Quidditch player is paid more and given more recognition. Humph!

Still, you ought to be proud of yourself for achieving a Mastery at such a young age, you are, I believe, only twenty-one years of age? Most wizards and witches take a full five to six years to complete an apprenticeship. It would seem you have inherited the Prince magical genius in full, and escaped the mediocrity of your Muggle father, whom I had pegged as an opportunist from the moment I laid eyes upon him. Alas, my daughter was too stubborn and foolish to listen to me, and her defiance cost her dearly. But that is in the past, and I have decided to let bygones be bygones and start anew. Life is too short to let old quarrels come between family members.

And you also have a small child to look after. My great-grandson, I presume.

I would like for you both to come to Foxfire Hall, sometime this week if it is convenient for you to do so, that I may meet you and your son.

Doubtless you may wonder why I never issued an invitation before this, and I can only say that I allowed pride and old grudges and my temper to dictate my actions.

You are my last living descendant and I wish to discuss your situation before giving you a loan, as you put it. I have a few suggestions you might wish to hear.

Enclosed is a Port Key to give you access to Foxfire Hall, without it you shall never find it, since it is Unplottable and warded. Long ago it was dangerous to be a member of the Prince family and my ancestors made certain we had a safe haven to come to should there be need.

I look forward to meeting with you, grandson.

Sincerely,

Your grandfather,

Augustus Prince, Lord of Foxfire Hall

At the end of the parchment was taped a round disk carved with a fox’s head.

That must be the Port Key.

Severus bit his lip nervously. From the way his grandfather had composed the letter, it would seem that he was favorably disposed towards him and that relieved him immensely. But at the same time he could tell that the elder wizard was a stern man and set in his ways and that was why he had lied and not bothered to explain that Harry was not his son, but a child he had found in a manger by following a star and the sound of a baby crying. Clearly Augustus Prince valued blood ties, as did most purebloods, and Severus feared that if Augustus learned that Harry were not blood, he might reject him. Or if he learned that Harry was The-Boy-Who-Lived, he might insist that Severus turn him over to Albus Dumbledore or the Ministry instead, because of his celebrity status.

James Potter must be turning over in his grave to learn that his son has become a Snape, even if it is in name only. But I don’t care. The child needs me, his relatives threw him out like a pile of rubbish and what kind of life will he have as the wizarding world’s great celebrity? He will be treated like a king, most likely, but every move he makes will be scrutinized and commented on, and he’ll become inflated with his own importance, an arrogant twit like his father. That is not the life I think Lily would want for him. Nor the life he deserves. He deserves to grow up a normal boy, like everyone else, not to be used as a pawn in some old wizard’s power game. And I can give him that. Or I will be able to once I have met with my grandfather.

He paused and looked at his charge, who was sucking down a bottle of milk greedily, and wondered when it was that he had started to truly care for the baby and think of the child as his own. He supposed it must have been sometime during that endless night and day of Christmas, or perhaps it was because the child had been so sick and he had managed to cure him, or maybe it was because the boy looked so much like his best friend and his only love. Whatever it was, he could not now even think of giving up the baby, not to anyone, for any reason.

So, though he disliked lying to his grandfather, Severus concluded it was a necessary deception.

And to further it, he carefully placed a minor Disguise Charm upon the baby’s forehead, hiding the telltale scar. There were plenty of auburn-haired green-eyed wizards in the world, but only one bore that identifying scar.

Until now.

Severus gazed at the newest member of his family and whispered, “You’re mine now, child. My son, Harry Snape.”

Harry coughed a little and turned to stare at Severus. “All gone,” he announced, pointing to his empty plate. “Wan’ more.”

“I want more, please.” Severus corrected.

Harry dutifully repeated the sentence. “Wan’ more, pwease.”

“Good.” Snape praised. “I suppose we ought to eat supper before going to visit your great-grandfather. I think I’ll have a hamburger and chips and you can eat one of those baby meals I picked up.”

He found a jar of beef macaroni for toddlers in the pantry and heated it up with a quickly spoken Warming charm, before turning to cook his hamburger and chips. He speed cooked the burger and chips using a magical spell then carried it to the table, transfiguring a stick into another chair so he could sit next to Harry.

He carefully spooned the macaroni into Harry’s plate and began to feed the child.

“Mmm . . .” Harry said, opening his mouth for more.

Severus fed him almost the whole jar, happy to see him eating normally, then he changed him into a fresh outfit and dressed himself in his best pair of robes and a good shirt and trousers. He made sure Harry had taken the rest of his potions for the night, then put a coat and hat on him and his shoes before tucking the baby into his backpack along with Professor Hush-a-bye.

“Go out?” Harry asked, having learned that the backpack meant they were going to leave the flat.

“Yes, we’ll be going out. Just in a different manner,” Severus explained, putting Harry on his back. He grasped the Port Key on the bottom of the letter and whispered, “Portus!”

He felt a rather hard tug and then the world spun around and around.

He felt as if he was falling a long way through a dark tunnel, but the sensation lasted barely three heartbeats before he found himself floating down to land upon a large expanse of well trimmed green lawn, which led up to a grand old stone house set back upon a hill, its gables twinkling with faint wisps of light that faded in and out, which had given the hall its name centuries before, because the lights resembled that phenomenon of moor and marsh known as a will-o-the-wisp, or foxfire.

Severus immediately glanced back to see how Harry was doing. A Port Key normally was a safe and friendly method of travel for young children, but he wanted to make sure Harry had not suffered any ill effects.

Harry was sucking his thumb and grinning like a Cheshire cat. He had enjoyed the wild ride and now peered about him curiously.

The sky was dark and billions of stars twinkled overhead, able to be seen clearly upon this night because this was in the country and had no smog or petrol fumes to clog the air. The air was crisp and clean and smelled faintly of apples and woodsmoke.

Severus began to walk across the lawn, his right hand clutching his letter and the Port Key. He found himself humming the melody to the old Christmas song, “It Came Upon a Midnight Clear.”

In his backpack, Harry hugged his bear and babbled happily to himself.

Finally Severus stood before the massive double doors and knocked sharply with the brass knocker in the shape of a leopard’s head.

Then he quickly wiped his sweaty palms upon his robes and waited.

A few moments later, the doors swung open and he saw a house elf standing before him.

But unlike most house elves, this one was dressed in what looked like black and gold livery, tights and a tunic with the same leopard crest and even a jaunty cap was set over one pointed ear. The elf had long curling hair and bowed and said, “Welcome, Master Severus Snape, to Foxfire Hall. I am Hotspur, milord’s major domo. He’s expecting you, please step inside while I call him.”

The elf stepped backwards so Severus and Harry could enter, then he vanished with a curious popping sound.

Harry gasped. “Where it go?”

“To call Lord Thornton,” a portrait of a stately wizard in red robes holding a scepter replied. The portrait was hung to the right of the doors and could therefore see everyone who happened to enter or leave the house. “Greetings. I am Valiar Prince, your many times great-great grandfather.”

Severus turned to address the portrait when the house elf returned. “This way, Master Snape, if you please. Milord will see you in his study.”

Harry giggled at the sight of the odd creature. “What dat?” He turned until he was peering over Snape’s shoulder and pointed.

Hotspur beamed at the little wizard. “How marvelous! Foxfire Hall hasn’t seen a baby since little Miss Eileen! Hello, young man! My name is Hotspur. What’s your name?”

“Hawwy.”

“Ah, a fine name. You must be proud to have such a fine son, Master Severus.”

“Yes,” was all Severus replied.

“And you, little one, are lucky to have such a good papa.”

“Papa,” Harry repeated, finding that easier to pronounce than the other name the elf had called his new guardian. He finally had a name to call the Tall One. “Papa. Papa.”

Severus had to fight to keep his composure, though he supposed it was only natural that Harry call him some form of the word for father. And if he wished his deception to succeed he had to get used to being addressed that way, despite the part of his mind that was gibbering You’re too young to be a father. Your career is just beginning. He sternly told that part of his mind to shut up and get a grip. Then he turned his head and replied, “Yes, Harry? What’s wrong?”

“Hawwy get down.”

“Not yet. Soon,” Severus told him, following Hotspur up a long winding staircase.

All along the staircase were more family portraits, all of which were looking at the newcomers curiously and some chuckled or smiled at Harry.

“Aww! Look at the little tyke! Isn’t he adorable?” gushed one matron wearing a violet silk gown.

“Absolutely charming!”

“Hello, sweet thing! My, but you’re gonna be a heartbreaker when you grow up,” cooed a younger woman with her hair piled atop her head wearing a low cut rose gown.

“Mmm . . .must take after his papa,” giggled another.

Now Severus did blush, for he knew quite well that he wasn’t anything to look at, not compared to Potter or his kind. It was one reason, he supposed, that Lily had tired of him. Why would she want to wake up to his thin face and hawk nose everyday when she could have the bloody handsome James Potter, Quidditch star? Then he shook his head. He refused to dwell on the past. This was a new beginning, hopefully.

Hotspur reached the landing and then made a sharp right and tapped lightly upon a heavy oaken door.

“Enter,” came a soft baritone.

Hotspur pushed open the door and bowed, announcing the two visitors. “Master Severus Snape and his son Master Harry to see you, my lord.”

“Thank you, Hotspur. You may go.”

Hotspur blinked away, leaving Severus standing before a huge mahogany and ebony carved desk. The desk contained various tomes and behind it was seated a tall thin man with black hair cut neatly and penetrating brown eyes. At one time he must have also been, as the portrait had remarked of Harry, a heartbreaker. He looked no more than fifty or sixty, though Severus was certain he was much older. Wizards did not age like Muggles. His face was set in a rather stern mien though it seemed that his expression softened a tad when he beheld his daughter’s child and grandchild. He wore long gray robes with a silver and midnight blue trim and a large silver chain with a green stone pendant suspended from it.

Uncertain of what to do, Severus gave a brief bow, and said, “Sir, I’m Severus and this is my . . .son, Harry.”

Augustus held up a hand and rose. “Do not bow to me, you are family, not a retainer. Subservience does not become a Prince.” He moved about the desk until he was standing a few feet away from Severus. He was slightly taller than the younger man, but not enough that his height gave him an advantage. “You have Eileen’s coloring about you. And the Prince height.” He nodded in satisfaction, though he frowned when he saw that Severus’ hair was longer than it had appeared, pulled back with a thong. Hmm . . .something will have to be done about that. “Welcome to Foxfire Hall.” He gave the younger wizard a quiet smile, then not quite knowing what else to do to break the rather awkward silence, cleared his throat and gestured to a comfortable plaid armchair off to the side near the fireplace. “Please be seated.”

Severus slipped off the straps of the backpack and took Harry out. The toddler immediately looked at Augustus and asked, “Who you?”

Augustus found himself starting to smile again, which was something he had not done since the death of his two daughters years ago. “Hello, child. So you are my great-grandson. Henry, is it?”

“Hawwy.”

Augustus raised an eyebrow. “I detest pet names. Henry will do. A strong name. How old is he?”

“He’s eighteen months,” replied Severus. “He was born in July.”

“Takes after his mother, does he?”

“Yes . . .Grandfather,” Severus said, trying out the title for the first time. It felt a bit strange but at the same time it also felt good to acknowledge a family member again, even if he was a stranger. “His mother had dark red hair and green eyes. Harry resembles her greatly.”

“Hmm . . .and where is she, this wife with red hair and evergreen eyes? Was she one of us?”

“She died recently,” Severus said, his voice suddenly going hoarse. “Her name was Lily. And she was the most brilliant witch I have ever known.”

“My condolences on your loss,” Augustus said simply, but Severus heard the rough sympathy in the other’s tone. “Losing one’s wife can be . . .traumatic, even if you are prepared for it. I take it was sudden?”

Severus nodded, looking away, and hoping his grandfather would ask no more questions about Lily. He had no wish to discuss her death. It was still too painful.

“Ah. I see. Please, sit down.”

Severus did so, putting Harry on his lap.

“Who you?” the toddler repeated.

“I am your great-grandfather,” Augustus answered. “But that is perhaps too much of a mouthful for such a little tyke, so you may call me . . .er. . .Grandpa.”

Harry frowned. He had never tried out that particular combination of sounds before. “Drampa,” he managed at last.

“Not bad.” Augustus acknowledged. “You’re a bright boy, Henry. Runs in the family.” He returned to sit behind his desk again. “Given your financial situation, Severus, as you stated in your letter, one thing puzzled me. Why did you wait to contact me? You could have done so after the funeral. Or did your father prevent you?” He grimaced. “Forgive me, but I never could stand that man.”

“I never really liked him either,” Severus muttered. “But no, he couldn’t prevent me, sir. Because he was already dead and gone. Alcohol poisoning. I never knew about you until I found this letter in among the papers from the sale of Spinner’s End, which was the house I grew up in. Somehow it got overlooked and misplaced.”

Harry wriggled to get down. “Papa, down.”

Severus hesitated, he didn’t want Harry to get into mischief, and he was certain the child could walk, despite wanting to be carried all over since he had found him. The sound of the little voice calling him ‘papa’ gave him an odd sort of thrill and contentment. “Stay right here next to me,” he ordered, setting Harry down by his feet with his bear.

Harry was quite happy to play on the floor and look around as he did so.

Severus continued. “Even so, sir, I never would have asked you for help if it weren’t for him,” he indicated the baby. “I was managing all right until Lily died and then . . .well, it’s hard to work twelve hour shifts with a baby attached to you.”

Augustus nodded. “You should have come to me before. I made a promise to Eileen that I would never turn away any of my blood. Even without the promise, however, I would have done so. I am an honorable man and family takes care of family. I would have helped Eileen, but she refused my offers.”

Severus’ eyes narrowed. “She told me that you refused to acknowledge her as your daughter once she married Tobias.”

Augustus sighed heavily. “That is so. I disapproved of her choice, but not because, as you may have thought, he was a Muggle. I disapproved because he was unworthy of her, I could never warm to the man, he was a good looking scorpion, but she was in love with him and far beyond the age when I could forbid her to do something and she would obey. But I did not want him to think he could get his grubby hands on my money and so I cut her off . . .in name only.”

“I don’t blame you. My father was trash, I’ve always known that,” his grandson said sharply. “But I’m not like him, sir. It’s not for myself I came to you, but for Harry, as I said before. If you would advance me a loan, I promise I shall pay you back, every Knut. I’m not asking for charity, Grandfather.” There was a proud light in the dark eyes, like an eagle, and determination as well.

Augustus recognized the quiet pride in the other’s face, it reminded him of himself as a young man. This one was not his father’s son, and the old wizard regretted not getting to know him sooner, for he was a Prince through and through. It was then that an idea came to him. It’s a fool’s hope, but then I am old enough to make a fool out of myself, he thought wryly. I have nothing to lose now and all to gain. He cleared his throat. “I would gladly lend you whatever you need, Severus, for I would never see a member of my family go begging. But I have a proposal for you of a different kind, if you will hear me out?”

“Go on,” Severus urged, sitting with his hands clasped on his knee.

“I am nearly ninety-five years old and there is not much left in my life that I regret, except the chance to tell my daughter that I was wrong, I should not have stayed away from her for so many years, my pride was not worth it. You say you wish a loan from me? What if I were to offer you more? I inherited much of what you see before you, but I also worked hard to keep it up, I was once a battle mage and a consultant for Gringotts in my youth. Now I have retired, but I still run a few small ventures. One of those is an experimental potions lab, staffed by some of the brightest Potions Masters and Mistresses I could find. They research and experiment with new types of potions for healing and some for war as well, because I don’t believe we have seen the last of that upstart Voldemort.”

Severus was shocked. “You . . .you said his name!”

“So? Don’t tell me you’ve bought into that nonsense that you shouldn’t speak his name? Bah! He is naught but another dark wizard, like Asmodean in my grandfather’s time, and Grindelwald after him. I fear very few things in this world, boy, and he is not one of them! Unmask the mystery of the dark and there is naught to fear. He was not as all powerful as he thought, if a mere baby could defeat him. But because there was no body, he might not be altogether dead.”

“What do you mean, Grandfather?”

“A dark wizard has many ways of preserving himself, ways that are twisted and cruel, but I could see him employing them. So it is best to be prepared, which is why I have some of my potion makers working on war potions. But also we work on improving existing drafts and creating new ones. I have seen for myself that you are the youngest to ever gain a Mastery in your field in Britain, and I wish for you to put that formidable intelligence to use. To put it bluntly, I wish to offer you a position as my Potions Master. I will pay you a salary equivalent to what my other Masters make, and you may live here at the hall with young Henry, who can be supervised by Hotspur and Lina, my house elves. I will also see to it that the little tyke gets whatever he needs and pay his school fees as well.”

“That is . . .very generous, Grandfather,” Severus said, amazed. He had never dared to hope for this much. “But please, take Harry’s expenses out of my wages.”

Augustus opened his mouth to argue, then closed it. He knew he would only butt heads with his stubborn grandson over this, and there was more than one way to skin a dragon. He would simply raise the young wizard’s salary and so whatever he “took out” would not impact upon the original sum he paid Severus. He smiled inwardly at his own cleverness. You may be a Slytherin, my boy, but I have been an old snake longer than you. “Very well. I shall take out a sum each week, if you insist. I take it you accept my offer then?”

“Yes. I do.” Severus agreed. He would have been a fool not to.

“Excellent! When would you like to move in?”

“I . . .uh . . .I need to pack up my things,” Severus said, still a bit dazed at this sudden reversal of fortune.

“I will send over Hotspur if you need it.”

“I also need to give notice to my employer and my landlord,” Severus added, and smirked inwardly at the joy that would bring him. “Then Harry and I will be able to move in with you.”

“Tomorrow, perhaps?”

“Yes. Thank you, Grandfather. I cannot . . .I don’t . . .”

“No need to thank me, Severus. It is the least I can do. Think of it, if you wish, as my atonement for ignoring your mother for so many years. I cannot change that, but perhaps I may make amends to her son and grandson. We are the last of the Prince line and it is only fitting that we should be together.”

Snape gave him a small smile in return. For the first time since he had rescued Harry from the manger, he felt a sense of extreme relief sweep through him. He looked down when he felt a tug on his robes.

“Papa? Pway now wif Hawwy?”

He lifted his son in his arms. “Soon. Right now we need to get home, it’s almost bedtime for you.”

Harry shook his head stubbornly. “No! No bed!”

“Say goodbye to your Grandpa,” Severus said hastily.

“Bye, Drampa,” Harry said, then to their astonishment, he held out his arms to Augustus.

Augustus held the child against him, marveling at how light and yet how solid the child was. Harry clung to him and he patted the baby on the back, murmuring, “You’ll see me again soon, little one. Goodbye and behave for your papa.” He then handed Harry back to Severus, who placed him in his backpack along with his bear.

“Hotspur!” the master of Foxfire Hall called.

Hotspur appeared in a flash. “You called, my lord?”

“Escort my grandson and great-grandson out, oh and have Lina prepare rooms for them, they will be living here permanently by tomorrow evening.”

“Very good, milord.” Hotspur bowed to Augustus and then beckoned to Severus and Harry. “This way, sirs.”

Once outside, Severus used the Port Key to return home, elated and yet apprehensive at this new turn of events. He prayed that Augustus never discovered his deception concerning Harry.

Harry was fussy, tired but not wanting to admit it, even after his bottle he was reluctant to sleep. It took Severus a good ten minutes of holding and patting the squirming whiny baby firmly on his shoulder before Harry gave in and fell asleep.

Snape laid him down, gently pulling the blanket over him. “Good night, imp. Tomorrow is the beginning of a new day and a new life for both of us.”

* * * * * *

Severus woke at six o’clock in the morning, knowing full well that he had to get up and go to work. He slowly opened one eye and groaned. Then he recalled that he no longer had to work for Smithers the Miserable Scarecrow any longer, and he promptly turned over and buried his face in the pillow and fell back to sleep.

Only to be wakened an hour later by Harry, who needed to be changed and fed.

Later, he took Harry with him as he walked the three blocks to where Smithers Apothecary was sandwiched inbetween two Muggle buildings and quickly worked a spell to admit him to Diagon Alley. Then he entered the shop, and came face to face with his angry employer.

“Snape! What do you mean, coming in late? I thought I told you to be here on time! Are you deaf? Do you think you’re irreplaceable just because you scored higher than anyone ever has on your Mastery tests? Because you’re not!”

Smithers’ face was very red and his hair stuck out in all directions, as if he had become electrocuted.

Severus drew himself up for the first time and looked the irascible man in the eye. “Mr. Smithers, I would like to give you my notice.”

“Notice? Of what? That you’re a lazy good-for-nothing shirker? Thanks, but I already knew that! Don’t give me any excuses either. I expect you here, on time, everyday, I don’t care how sick you are!”

“Sir—”

“Don’t whine, Snape! Can’t abide it! You’re fired.” Smithers declared, his eyes glinting in satisfaction. He waited for the young man to protest.

Severus glared at him. “You can’t fire me. I quit!”

Smithers’ smile slid off his face like a melted icicle off a hot tin roof. “You what? You quit?”

“Yes. I quit,” Severus repeated. “I came to tell you that I have found other employment.”

Smithers went red and sputtered, “How dare you?”

“How dare I what? How dare I find a place which treats their employers like human beings, instead of dirt to be scraped off their boots? How dare I find a job that pays me more than Twelve Sickles an hour and overtime?”

“You impudent whelp, you would have starved but for me!”

“I would have rather starved than put up with you!” Severus snarled. “Give me my two weeks pay, Smithers, and then I’ll leave.”

Smithers spun about and looked over at his secretary, who was watching the confrontation with wide eyes. Eyes that contained admiration and glee. But she quickly lowered them when her boss glared at her. “Give him his pay, Baxter, and good riddance!”

“Yes, sir.” She rose and took a key from her drawer and went into the vault where Smithers kept the money to pay his employees and drew out Severus’ two weeks plus bonus pay. She felt bad the young man was leaving, for he was a brilliant potion maker, but she was glad he had found a better job. “Here, Mr. Snape.”

She handed Snape the money he was owed, cooing over baby Harry as she did so.

Severus took it, ignoring Smithers’ dire muttering. “Thank you, Alicia. Goodbye.”

He turned about, and Harry stuck his head out of the backpack.

“What’s this?” Smithers sneered. “Got some witch knocked up and now she’s left your brat for you to take care of? Figures. I always knew you were a good-for-nothing, Snape! You’ll be back one day, crawling on your hands and knees for me to take you back . . .mark my words!”

Severus kept walking. “In your dreams, you nasty bugger!”

Harry scowled at the skinny man and then he blew a raspberry at him.

Smithers nearly had apoplexy.

Severus shut the door, a hand over his mouth to stop the unprofessional giggles that were threatening to emerge. Oh, Harry! Thank you for that! He leaned against a signpost, laughing helplessly, along with his mischievous son, before finally straightening and heading off to Gringotts to deposit his earnings.

Then he went back to the flat to finish packing up his meager belongings and giving the landlord his notice before returning to Foxfire Hall and the new family that awaited him and Harry.

The End.
End Notes:
Yay! I finally got my new chapter up! Hope you enjoy it!

What did you think of Augustus?

A bit of Christmas trivia for y'all. What did Severus say to Smithers that's a quote from another famous Christmas character? Must give the quote and the character in order to win 100 House Points and free hot cocoa and cookies! :)

Next: More adventures abound at Foxfire Hall for little Harry and Severus when Harry turns two.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2016