Blood Magic by GatewayGirl
Summary: Blood magic was supposed to keep Harry safe, but his relatives are expendable. Blood magic was supposed to keep Harry looking like his adoptive father, but it's wearing off. Blood is a bond, but so is the memory of hate -- or love.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Drug use, Neglect, Profanity, Romance/Het, Romance/Slash, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Blood Magic Universe
Chapters: 84 Completed: Yes Word count: 337748 Read: 759874 Published: 14 Dec 2009 Updated: 14 Jan 2010
Diagon Alley by GatewayGirl

Thirty minutes later, Ron was staring around a small Muggle shop with something akin to panic. "What are we doing here?" he asked.

"I need leather jeans for Halloween, and I won't be able to buy them once we're off at school," Harry replied, perhaps a bit more loudly than necessary.

"Is there a costume to go with that?" Hermione asked tartly.

"Well," Harry said, dropping his voice considerably. "One of the teachers was going about how obscene Muggle clothing is...."

"What!" Hermione exclaimed.

"Because it shows off my bum."

"Oh, honestly!"

"Well, she has a point," Ron contributed. "I mean, jeans and tight trousers and such are practical, but I wouldn't wear them anyplace nice ... or too seedy, you know. Not without robes over them."

"So I want to show him what Muggles consider sexy, in a setting where he cannot discipline me for it." Harry wasn't sure why the idea of horrifying Snape this way appealed to him, but it did. Perhaps because it's such a harmless thing. He pulled out a pair with side lacings. "What about these?"

"Try them on," Hermione challenged.

Harry did. When he stepped out of the fitting room, Hermione turned very pink and told him they were sexy, but should probably be tighter, and the sales clerk jumped in to agree.

Harry argued that he had been sick and expected to gain some weight back. After a bit of debating the matter, he tried on a tighter pair. Hermione expressed approval, but it was the way her voice squeaked when she said it, and the way her eyes followed him when he was making sure he could walk in something this tight, that convinced him to take them. They were still not as tight as the clerk advised, but she didn't push the matter.

"If you have any problems with fit," the girl said, accompanying her words with a mischievous leer, "get them wet, then wear them until they dry. They'll shape to your body that way. Sure you don't want them hemmed here?"

Harry smiled back at her as he took the sack. "Certain," he said. "Thanks for the help." Hermione and Ron tugged him towards the door.

"Honestly!" Ron said, grimacing, once they were on the street. "And Mum thinks Bill is weird! What's with having a metal stick in your lip?"

"And eyebrow, and nostril, and who knows where else!" Hermione contributed disdainfully, though without Ron's genuine shock.

"I thought she was pretty," Harry said. "She had a great smile." He grinned. "And I loved those blue stripes in her hair!"

"Yes, well you think Tonks is hot, too," Ron said dismissively.

'Do you?" Hermione asked.

Harry shrugged. "I suppose so. I mean, it's half personality, right? I don't fancy her, or anything." Not much.


Halfway back to Diagon Alley, Ron pulled them into a corner shop to look at Muggle sweets. He got a selection of ones he had never seen before, and Hermione got fruit drink. Harry got two packs of ten of Silk Cut and a glare from Hermione.

"Harry!" she scolded. "When did you start that?"

Harry shrugged. "Over the summer?"

"Well, obviously!"

"What are they?" Ron asked curiously, looking at the packs of cigarettes Harry was hurriedly tucking into his sack.

"Drugs," said Hermione disapprovingly.

"Muggle drugs," laughed Harry, thinking of Snape's ambiguous disapproval, "but a legal sort, like alcohol."

"You won't be able to get those in Hogsmeade," Hermione said, with evident satisfaction, as they stepped back out on the pavement.

"Yeah." Harry looked back at the shop. "I'm kind of tempted to get more." He looked at her and smiled disarmingly. "But I don't do it much. I'll be fine."

"Yeah, right," Hermione snorted. "Tell me when you run out. I'll just study in my room, that week."

"Problem?" Ron asked hesitantly.

"Addictive drugs," Hermione said pointedly.

Ron looked uncertainly at Harry. Harry shrugged, and looked away, as if he were intrigued by the customers at the cafe they were passing. A man's eyes met his, and he hurriedly switched to looking ahead.

"I don't do it much," he repeated.


They crossed back through the Leaky Cauldron and into Diagon Alley. Harry, quite suddenly, desperately wanted a cigarette, but was now too embarrassed to have one in front of Hermione. He suggested they split up for getting supplies not all of them needed, but Ron was having none of it. Harry wondered if Ron was uncertain about being alone with Hermione. Harry found himself in Madam Malkin's being measured for new school robes, with Ron and Hermione still along, chatting with him.

"Did you honestly think that girl was pretty, Harry?" Hermione asked.

"Very," Harry said. He looked at Hermione's distress and relented. "Okay -- She would have been more so without the lip piercing. I didn't mind any of the rest of it, and I really liked the hair." He grinned. "And she had an excellent smile. Almost as fetching as yours."

Hermione blushed. It occurred to Harry that he was learning different things from Remus now than he had at thirteen. Suddenly, he was distracted by a rush of heat which moved from his stomach outwards, covering his body, then fading. Hermione gasped.

"Oh!" Ron exclaimed.

"What?"

"You're white, again."

Harry looked down at his hands and found his normal skin color had returned. He wondered if Madam Malkin would be confused when she got back.


After getting Harry new robes, they three continued on from shop to shop, buying school supplies. When they had everything they needed, and a bit more, they walked back to Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor.

"My treat," Harry said. "Since I've been dragging you both on side trips." He ordered a large sundae, to show they could get anything. Ron followed suit, while Hermione got a small dish of chocolate ice cream, and they claimed a table outside.

"So ... what's it like, being at Hogwarts over the summer?" Hermione asked, once they were all lazily picking at the soupy remains of their ice creams.

"Good," Harry said. "I can study when I want, and laze about when I want -- " he smiled wryly -- "I can eat when I want, and I've even got to go into Hogsmeade once." This could be dangerous -- I better keep it all light, so they don't realize I'm leaving things out.

"Are you living in Gryffindor Tower?" Ron asked.

"No..." Harry grinned. "That would be awful, wouldn't it? Alone? No, I'm downstairs. Dumbledore wanted me near teachers." Like that -- inconspicuously vague.

"How do they do meals?"

"Everybody eats in their rooms, mostly, though Dumbledore insists on everyone attending a scheduled group dinner three times a week."

"Isn't that a lot of work for the house elves?" Hermione asked, frowning.

"A lot of work? Hermione, they're practically on vacation! They have only about a dozen people to look after, and you know how many elves there are! They're desperate for work, by now. They started pestering me for things they could do for me -- I finally got the idea of asking for elaborate foods like Black Forest cake and Beef Wellington, and they're thrilled! The more complicated, the better."

Hermione shook her head. "I suppose after eight weeks...." she said doubtfully.

"Done any exploring?" Ron asked quickly.

"A bit."

"Have you finished your summer assignments?" Hermione asked.

"Weeks ago," Harry said, interrupting Ron's attempt to deflect the question for him. Ron looked put out.

"I told you!" Hermione said triumphantly to Ron.

"Well, I'm sure Ron has other things to do," Harry pointed out. "I'm at school, with only teachers for company."

"Do you get any extra lessons?" Hermione asked eagerly. "Or practice?"

"A lot of Potions," Harry admitted. "I've been helping Snape get Madam Pomfrey's stocks ready for the start of term."

"That's awful!" Ron said. "Hermione, how can you worry about house elves when Harry has to work with Snape?"

"It's okay," Harry protested. "He's a lot more relaxed during the summer. Even if he weren't, it would still be better than the Dursleys."

They were all silent for a bit. Harry thought he must be expected to be sad, and felt rather guilty that he couldn't manage it.

"So, how's your family, Ron?" Harry asked, after the silence started to feel awkward.

"Okay, I guess." Ron chuckled. "Mum flipped when I asked her about the Paternity Charm, you know. She thought I was asking if I was adopted. Like she'd need another kid!"

"You'd think if she was choosing, she'd pick a girl."

"Well, yeah. It's pretty obvious they kept going till they got one. I was probably a big disappointment."

"Ron ..." Hermione reproved him. "You know your parents love you."

"Of course they do. But that's not the same as being what they wanted."

Again, there was silence. Harry tried to think of something to keep his friends from bringing up the Paternity Charm or the Dursleys, again. "Oh! I know who the new Defense Against Dark Arts teacher is! Want to know, or would you rather be surprised?"

"Not Snape," Ron pleaded.

"Not Snape."

"Is it someone we know?" Hermione asked eagerly.

"Yes."

"Someone competent?"

"Yes."

They both thought earnestly. Harry supposed that did narrow it down considerably.

"Someone from the Ministry?" Ron asked.

"No."

"Someone we knew as a student?" Hermione asked.

"No."

Hermione bit her lip. "Someone who's done it before?" she asked tentatively.

"Yes."

"Professor Lupin?" A wide smile lit her face, then faded. "He couldn't, could he? I mean..."

"Yes," Harry said, grinning. "Moony's back!"

Hermione and Ron both cheered. A few people turned to look at them. Harry was surprised at how pleased he was, again, now that he was thinking of Remus as Professor Lupin, the Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor.

"That's great!" Hermione crowed. "He's intelligent, he's nice, he's..." she blushed -- "hot." She covered her mouth. "Oh my God!"

"Mmm." Harry looked at her slyly, remembering how she had looked at Remus when he was saying goodbye to them in the spring. "And bent."

"Oh no!" Hermione exclaimed, looking simultaneously shocked and fascinated. "Honestly?"

"Honestly. Give it up now." Harry narrowly restrained himself from revealing that Remus had gone out with Snape in school. If any gossip about that surfaced, Snape would never tell him anything again.

They fell silent again. After a moment, Ron sighed and rested his chin on one hand. "We're not kids anymore, are we?" he asked gloomily.

"What?" Hermione returned, confused.

"Well, you're both talking about who's cute and who likes ...er, what, Harry's buying sexy clothes to irritate a teacher and would rather have drugs than sweets, and I ...." Ron hesitated. "I," he admitted, "just looked across the room at some disgusting little boy who's talking with his mouth full and thought he really ought to learn some manners."

"Bad sign," Harry said sympathetically. "Tragic."

"Is that a problem?" Hermione said testily. "I thought it might be rather nice if the two of you finally caught up with me. Not that I consider Harry's behavior mature."

Glad of an excuse, Harry took out a cigarette and lit it, as if to tease her. She glared. Harry took a deep drag, then quickly another, and felt himself starting to relax, despite his embarrassment. Ron looked at him oddly for a moment, then went back to his sulk.

"Well, what do we do if you end up with someone who isn't one of us?" Ron asked gloomily. Harry now wondered if Ron was regretting breaking up with Hermione. "No one who isn't me is going to put up with Harry, and no one who isn't Harry is going to put up with me, and it will all just be over."

"I'm not going out with anyone who won't put up with you and Harry," Hermione said firmly.

"You don't understand men, Hermione," Ron protested. "Even if you say it's platonic, they just won't allow--"

"It's not all men, Ron," Harry countered. "If I were seeing Hermione, I wouldn't mind if she had a male friend who wasn't you. Being someone's boyfriend doesn't give you the power of veto over their friendships."

"Thank you," said Hermione. She glared at him again. "Not that I'd go out with someone who smokes."

"Hermione--" Harry said desperately.

"I mean, that's disgusting. And stupid. And it's got to taste awful--"

Harry interrupted the words by leaning over and kissing her. When she didn't pull away, he twisted and got an arm behind her, then pulled her as close as their separate chairs would allow. He was dimly aware that he was still holding the cigarette, and probably filling her thick hair with the smell of smoke, but mostly he concentrated on her mouth, all cold and sweet from ice cream, and the softness of the skin on her cheeks. When he finally let her go, they were both breathless.

"Well, I...." she said shakily.

"All right!" Ron exclaimed cheerfully. "That's settled, then."

They both glared at him.


The three of them were arguing over the history of their relationships when someone came up the steps to the terrace. Harry looked over, saw Snape approaching, and caught himself on the verge of a smile and a cheery hello. Uncertain how he ought to react to Snape's approach, he looked at his friends. Ron was scowling, and Hermione had become deeply interested in her empty ice cream dish.

"Mr. Potter," Snape said as he approached, sneering, "the headmaster feels that you need an nursemaid for your return." He might have continued, but on stopping next to Harry, glanced down, and saw the cigarette end in his ice cream dish. Harry saw his sneer break, then return.

"Who gave you that?" he snarled. His eyes moved to Hermione. Harry supposed that might make sense from Snape's point of view. Hermione was from a Muggle family.

"No one."

"Has Florean taken to offering sundaes with a side order of imported poisons? I find that difficult to believe, Mr. Potter."

"We took a little detour into Muggle London--"

"What? You brainless, reckless--"

"I was well disguised."

"I don't care if you were transfigured!" Snape screamed. He caught himself. His face twisted into an expression of pure contempt. "We will discuss it later -- with the headmaster. Now...."

Snape held out a hand. Harry decided that faking ignorance was not worth getting himself further into trouble. Reluctantly, he handed over the open pack of of cigarettes. Snape responded with a satisfied smile that promised further penalties later.

"Harry!" Hermione hissed at him.

"Let's go, then," Harry said. He stood up.

"Harry!" Hermione insisted.

"Is there a problem, Miss Granger?" Snape asked acidly.

"He has a second pack."

"Hermione!" Harry snapped.

"Well, he's right!" Hermione said defensively. "You shouldn't."

Snape snorted. "The dangers of Gryffindor friends have not changed much since my time, I see." He held out his hand again. "The rest of them, Mr. Potter."

"What would you know about Gryffindor friends?" Ron said angrily.

Snape favored him with a hard stare. "I had several, Mr. Weasley. And I could never depend on them. They'd back me in a lie only if they agreed with my reason for lying." Ron looked furious, but Hermione seemed to accept Snape's words as a compliment. He looked down and across the table at her, his eyes narrowed in evaluation.

"I accept you as a temporary ally, Miss Granger. Mr. Weasley, you may want to look up a Gryffindor named Augustus Maitland. I am certain you would find his history educational. Mr. Potter?"

Harry fished his other packages out of the bag from the Muggle shop. "Hold on a moment," he said. "I put my stuff in with some of Hermione's ...." He looked up at her as he handed over the cigarettes, to confirm she would not betray him about the leather trousers. She nodded slightly.

"Thanks for your help with my shopping," she said, her voice quavering slightly. "See you on the second of September."

"Right." Harry nodded, but couldn't manage to smile at her. In consideration of her current discretion, he managed not to glare. He said a brief goodbye to Ron, and followed Snape down the stairs. Minutes later, he was stepping out of the grate in the bare room next to Dumbledore's office.


The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2025