Snow Angel by Nightshade
Summary: What happens when Snape finds a tiny ten year old in the snow on Christmas eve?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Fic Fests > #10 Holiday/Winter 2009 Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Fantasy, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 5606 Read: 16628 Published: 23 Dec 2009 Updated: 24 Dec 2009
Noel & Loki by Nightshade

A small girl with jet black hair stood outside shoveling the side walk. The child was unusual. Everyone on the block knew it, her own relatives knew it. They’d often call her ‘freak’. But young Willow Jami Potter liked to pretend she was normal. She enjoyed gardening and reading about what the plants could do. She also enjoyed writing, Willow hoped to someday become a writer…maybe.  But it most likely would never happen, freaks like her never amounted to anything. Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia said so.

Willow looked up and saw some children playing with their parents. She wished she could be like that. Sighing she went back to work. At the age of ten she now could easily shovel the walk and get it done on time, on a good day anyway; as long as she wasn’t supporting a wound from a past beating.

Willow stopped for a second to catch her breath. Listening intently she heard a soft beautiful music being carried by the wind. Feeling better in spirit she started to sing:

“Away in a manger
No crib for a bed
The little Lord Jesus
lay down his sweet head
The stars in the sky
looked down where he lay
The little Lord Jesus
asleep on the hay

The cattle are lowing
the baby awakes
But little Lord Jesus
no crying he makes
I love thee Lord Jesus
look down from the sky
And stay by my cradle
'til morning is nigh

Be near me Lord Jesus
I ask thee to stay
Close by me forever
and love me I pray
Bless all the dear children
in thy tender care
and feen us for Heaven
to live with thee there”

Willow finished and inspected her work making sure it was to the Dursley’s liking. ‘I hope Dudley doesn’t mess it up. I don’t want another beating before Christmas.’ She went around back to put away the tools, not knowing that someone had been watching her the entire time.

Noel, a Christmas Sprite, watched as the young girl worked herself to the bone, struggling to finish everything before the cruel ones returned from the Christmas party they had attended.  ‘I haven’t seen cruelty like this in centuries.’ The sprite thought darkly. Noel shivered, she hated having dark thoughts. It was completely against her nature. ‘I remember another boy who was treated viciously. What was his name?’

Noel thought back, there were so many boys she’d met or watched over the years. ‘Oh yes, Severus Snape! That was the one. Thank the Kringle’s he met that girl…Lily! Lily Evans! That girl was a miracle in herself. She truly had the Christmas spirit and a great deal of love in her.’ Noel smiled as she remembered the two children. They’d been close friends for a long time, but then one year it ended. She didn’t know why but she’d been deeply saddened by it. She hadn’t seen either human since then. ‘Hm…I wonder,’ Noel took one last look at Willow then flew off.

PSPSPSPSPS

 

Willow exited the shed and checked the time. She still had an hour to kill before the turkey was finished. She could actually enjoy herself for a few minutes if she wanted to! Smiling widely at her luck, she ran toward the back of the shed and threw herself into the snow. Still grinning like and imp she started moving her arms and legs. After a few more minutes of this she stood up carefully and examined her work. She’d done it! She’d made a perfect Snow Angel! ‘Wow it looks brilliant.’ Willow thought as she rubbed her cold hands together. Noticing that her gloveless hands were turning red she decided it was time to go in. Careful to keep the snow from getting in the house Willow took of her shoes and coat before entering the house. ‘Damn its cold!’ she tough franticly as she rushed inside to get warm.  

 

Shaking the wet out of her hair the young girl placed her wet jacket and shoes inside her cupboard. “Ding!”  Willow sighed at the sound; it was time to finish working on dinner. Aunt Petunia had said she wanted turkey for Christmas dinner with mashed potatoes and cinnamon buttered corn. ‘I wish I could eat this stuff too.’ Willow wondered what it would taste like. Turning on the radio she listened to Billy Gilman’s Rocking around the Christmas tree, and continued to do her chores. Wondering if she’d managed to be a good girl this year.

 

PSPSPSPSPS

(At Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry)

 

“Severus really,” Albus Dumbledore said in an exasperated voice. “Why don’t you just go home and enjoy the holiday? You work much too hard.” Dumbledore popped a lemon drop into his mouth as he watched his potions master finish brewing a complicated potion.

 

“And do what, Albus? Spend time with my family?” Snape shook his head.

 

“I’m sure Molly still wants you to come over for dinner.” Dumbledore said.

 

Severus shivered. “Albus please, I don’t wish to spend any more time with those two miscreants than I have to.” It was obvious he was talking about Fred and George Weasley.

 

“I’m sure,”

 

But Severus interrupted him.

 

“Albus in an hour I will be going home. Leave it at that.”

 

Dumbledore sighed and shook his head sadly. “My boy, I hope you have a good holiday. Please try to enjoy yourself.”

 

Snape glared.

 

Laughing Dumbledore left the office.

 

“Enjoy the holiday. Pah!” Snape shook his greasy head and continued to work on the potion, unaware of the small blue sprite zooming over his head.

 

“Oh this isn’t good not good at all. I cannot let that old coot, that old bat, that…”

 

“Loki! Are you plotting again?” Noel appeared beside her brother.

 

“Noel! What are you doin’ here?” Loki blocked her view of the human behind him, not wanting Noel to see the human she once knew.

 

“I came here to ask you a question. I would have asked before but I never had the time.” Noel noticed Loki trying to block her view. “Do you recall humans named Severus Snape and Lily Evans?”

 

Loki paled slightly turning from blue to grayish. “Hm…I don’t, sorry. There are just sooo many students that come through this school I can’t ever recall specific ones.”

 

Noel’s eyes narrowed. “Loki.”

 

Loki’s wings sped up.  “Truly, I don’t recall.”

 

“Loki, who is that shell of a human you’re trying to hide from me? And, better question, why are you trying to hide him from me?”

 

Loki turned to look at the human, “Him? He’s no one, a human who screwed up his life…”

 

“So naturally, you being the sprite of nuisance, decided to give the poor man more trouble. You really are just a simple and cruel creature.” Noel shook her head in disgust.

 

Loki glared. “I am not a sprite of nuisance! I am the sprite of mischief!”

 

“Mischief, nuisance; in the end it comes to the same thing: Trouble. Now don’t make me ask again. Who is he?”

 

Loki sighed. “HeisSeverusSnapealright,” he muttered.

 

“Pardon,” Noel glared.

 

“He is Severus Snape, alright!”

 

“WHAT! What have you done to him? I used to know him! How could you make him into that?” Noel’s wings sped up in her anger.

 

“Hey! I have just as much claim on him as you do! Besides I didn’t make him become a Death Eater he did it to himself.” Loki folded his arms defensively in front of his chest.

 

“Lily never would have let him.” Noel’s eyes widened. “What. Did. You. Do?”

 

Loki paled more, “Nothing.”

 

“Loki Silvertongue you tell me what you did right now or so help me I am telling daddy and mother!” Noel screeched.

 

Loki lost all color. “You wouldn’t.”

 

“Try me.”

 

Loki sighed. “I was fascinated by him. He was always just one step away from Zillah’s grasp. I never understood how he was mixed between Zillah and Chiara’s domain. So I intervened to see where he’d go.” 

 

Noel sighed. So her older sisters, Zillah the sprite of darkness and Chiara the sprite of light, had taken the human she’d once cared for too. “Does no one abide by the rules? I claimed Lily and Severus first! The only one who is allowed to take souls away from a sprite is mummy, daddy and uncle. Why do you always interfere?” Noel looked like she was going to cry.

 

Loki instantly felt guilty. He hated making his baby sister cry. “I am sorry Noey.”

 

“Sorry doesn’t change anything Loki. Look at poor Sev.” Noel burst into tears.

 

Loki panicked. If he didn’t do something soon his parents would notice Noel was crying. Then he’d be in big trouble! “How can I make it up to you?”

 

A thought came to Noel, making her smiling evilly to herself. ‘Oh Loki you so asked for it!’ Noel sniffed. “You could help me save Lily’s child and give Sev a second chance.” 

Loki drooped. “You want me to help a human?”

“Yes. You owe me this, Loki!”

 

Loki frowned. “Oh alright, I’m in."  Noel clapped her hands. “Good.” “But how on earth do you plan to help Snape? He’s a nasty bugger now, Noey. He’s not the same boy you knew.”

 

Noel tilted her head and flew over to Snape. “True. But the boy is still inside of him. Severus still loves Lily deeply. Perhaps…” Noel’s eyes lit up. “I have a plan!”

 

Loki wasn’t sure if this was good or not.

PSPSPSPSPS

 “POTTER! DINNER BETTER BE READY!” Vernon Dursley shouted.

Willow flinched. ‘Why oh why was he in a bad mood now?’ Quickly she finished setting the table and waited for Petunia to give her further instructions.

Petunia Dursley took off her coat and eyed Willow with dislike.“Did you finish all of your chores?”

“Yes aunt Petunia.”

Petunia glared. “Get some cheese, bread, and a glass of water. Then go to your cupboard.

Willow nodded and hurried to do as she was told.Once safely in her ‘room’ she ate her first meal in three days. ‘Thank goodness they fed me tonight. I don’t think I could last much longer.’ Willow lay down and stared at the picture of the Snow Angle she drew. “I wonder if my mum’s an angel.” Willow hoped her mummy was. Closing her eyes she turned over to go to sleep. ‘Please give me good dreams. That’s what I’d like for Christmas.’ Willow then fell asleep, but not for long.      

 

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2039