Snow Angel by Nightshade
Summary: What happens when Snape finds a tiny ten year old in the snow on Christmas eve?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Fic Fests > #10 Holiday/Winter 2009 Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Fantasy, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 5606 Read: 16630 Published: 23 Dec 2009 Updated: 24 Dec 2009

1. Noel & Loki by Nightshade

2. Snow Angel by Nightshade

3. Guardians by Nightshade

Noel & Loki by Nightshade

A small girl with jet black hair stood outside shoveling the side walk. The child was unusual. Everyone on the block knew it, her own relatives knew it. They’d often call her ‘freak’. But young Willow Jami Potter liked to pretend she was normal. She enjoyed gardening and reading about what the plants could do. She also enjoyed writing, Willow hoped to someday become a writer…maybe.  But it most likely would never happen, freaks like her never amounted to anything. Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia said so.

Willow looked up and saw some children playing with their parents. She wished she could be like that. Sighing she went back to work. At the age of ten she now could easily shovel the walk and get it done on time, on a good day anyway; as long as she wasn’t supporting a wound from a past beating.

Willow stopped for a second to catch her breath. Listening intently she heard a soft beautiful music being carried by the wind. Feeling better in spirit she started to sing:

“Away in a manger
No crib for a bed
The little Lord Jesus
lay down his sweet head
The stars in the sky
looked down where he lay
The little Lord Jesus
asleep on the hay

The cattle are lowing
the baby awakes
But little Lord Jesus
no crying he makes
I love thee Lord Jesus
look down from the sky
And stay by my cradle
'til morning is nigh

Be near me Lord Jesus
I ask thee to stay
Close by me forever
and love me I pray
Bless all the dear children
in thy tender care
and feen us for Heaven
to live with thee there”

Willow finished and inspected her work making sure it was to the Dursley’s liking. ‘I hope Dudley doesn’t mess it up. I don’t want another beating before Christmas.’ She went around back to put away the tools, not knowing that someone had been watching her the entire time.

Noel, a Christmas Sprite, watched as the young girl worked herself to the bone, struggling to finish everything before the cruel ones returned from the Christmas party they had attended.  ‘I haven’t seen cruelty like this in centuries.’ The sprite thought darkly. Noel shivered, she hated having dark thoughts. It was completely against her nature. ‘I remember another boy who was treated viciously. What was his name?’

Noel thought back, there were so many boys she’d met or watched over the years. ‘Oh yes, Severus Snape! That was the one. Thank the Kringle’s he met that girl…Lily! Lily Evans! That girl was a miracle in herself. She truly had the Christmas spirit and a great deal of love in her.’ Noel smiled as she remembered the two children. They’d been close friends for a long time, but then one year it ended. She didn’t know why but she’d been deeply saddened by it. She hadn’t seen either human since then. ‘Hm…I wonder,’ Noel took one last look at Willow then flew off.

PSPSPSPSPS

 

Willow exited the shed and checked the time. She still had an hour to kill before the turkey was finished. She could actually enjoy herself for a few minutes if she wanted to! Smiling widely at her luck, she ran toward the back of the shed and threw herself into the snow. Still grinning like and imp she started moving her arms and legs. After a few more minutes of this she stood up carefully and examined her work. She’d done it! She’d made a perfect Snow Angel! ‘Wow it looks brilliant.’ Willow thought as she rubbed her cold hands together. Noticing that her gloveless hands were turning red she decided it was time to go in. Careful to keep the snow from getting in the house Willow took of her shoes and coat before entering the house. ‘Damn its cold!’ she tough franticly as she rushed inside to get warm.  

 

Shaking the wet out of her hair the young girl placed her wet jacket and shoes inside her cupboard. “Ding!”  Willow sighed at the sound; it was time to finish working on dinner. Aunt Petunia had said she wanted turkey for Christmas dinner with mashed potatoes and cinnamon buttered corn. ‘I wish I could eat this stuff too.’ Willow wondered what it would taste like. Turning on the radio she listened to Billy Gilman’s Rocking around the Christmas tree, and continued to do her chores. Wondering if she’d managed to be a good girl this year.

 

PSPSPSPSPS

(At Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry)

 

“Severus really,” Albus Dumbledore said in an exasperated voice. “Why don’t you just go home and enjoy the holiday? You work much too hard.” Dumbledore popped a lemon drop into his mouth as he watched his potions master finish brewing a complicated potion.

 

“And do what, Albus? Spend time with my family?” Snape shook his head.

 

“I’m sure Molly still wants you to come over for dinner.” Dumbledore said.

 

Severus shivered. “Albus please, I don’t wish to spend any more time with those two miscreants than I have to.” It was obvious he was talking about Fred and George Weasley.

 

“I’m sure,”

 

But Severus interrupted him.

 

“Albus in an hour I will be going home. Leave it at that.”

 

Dumbledore sighed and shook his head sadly. “My boy, I hope you have a good holiday. Please try to enjoy yourself.”

 

Snape glared.

 

Laughing Dumbledore left the office.

 

“Enjoy the holiday. Pah!” Snape shook his greasy head and continued to work on the potion, unaware of the small blue sprite zooming over his head.

 

“Oh this isn’t good not good at all. I cannot let that old coot, that old bat, that…”

 

“Loki! Are you plotting again?” Noel appeared beside her brother.

 

“Noel! What are you doin’ here?” Loki blocked her view of the human behind him, not wanting Noel to see the human she once knew.

 

“I came here to ask you a question. I would have asked before but I never had the time.” Noel noticed Loki trying to block her view. “Do you recall humans named Severus Snape and Lily Evans?”

 

Loki paled slightly turning from blue to grayish. “Hm…I don’t, sorry. There are just sooo many students that come through this school I can’t ever recall specific ones.”

 

Noel’s eyes narrowed. “Loki.”

 

Loki’s wings sped up.  “Truly, I don’t recall.”

 

“Loki, who is that shell of a human you’re trying to hide from me? And, better question, why are you trying to hide him from me?”

 

Loki turned to look at the human, “Him? He’s no one, a human who screwed up his life…”

 

“So naturally, you being the sprite of nuisance, decided to give the poor man more trouble. You really are just a simple and cruel creature.” Noel shook her head in disgust.

 

Loki glared. “I am not a sprite of nuisance! I am the sprite of mischief!”

 

“Mischief, nuisance; in the end it comes to the same thing: Trouble. Now don’t make me ask again. Who is he?”

 

Loki sighed. “HeisSeverusSnapealright,” he muttered.

 

“Pardon,” Noel glared.

 

“He is Severus Snape, alright!”

 

“WHAT! What have you done to him? I used to know him! How could you make him into that?” Noel’s wings sped up in her anger.

 

“Hey! I have just as much claim on him as you do! Besides I didn’t make him become a Death Eater he did it to himself.” Loki folded his arms defensively in front of his chest.

 

“Lily never would have let him.” Noel’s eyes widened. “What. Did. You. Do?”

 

Loki paled more, “Nothing.”

 

“Loki Silvertongue you tell me what you did right now or so help me I am telling daddy and mother!” Noel screeched.

 

Loki lost all color. “You wouldn’t.”

 

“Try me.”

 

Loki sighed. “I was fascinated by him. He was always just one step away from Zillah’s grasp. I never understood how he was mixed between Zillah and Chiara’s domain. So I intervened to see where he’d go.” 

 

Noel sighed. So her older sisters, Zillah the sprite of darkness and Chiara the sprite of light, had taken the human she’d once cared for too. “Does no one abide by the rules? I claimed Lily and Severus first! The only one who is allowed to take souls away from a sprite is mummy, daddy and uncle. Why do you always interfere?” Noel looked like she was going to cry.

 

Loki instantly felt guilty. He hated making his baby sister cry. “I am sorry Noey.”

 

“Sorry doesn’t change anything Loki. Look at poor Sev.” Noel burst into tears.

 

Loki panicked. If he didn’t do something soon his parents would notice Noel was crying. Then he’d be in big trouble! “How can I make it up to you?”

 

A thought came to Noel, making her smiling evilly to herself. ‘Oh Loki you so asked for it!’ Noel sniffed. “You could help me save Lily’s child and give Sev a second chance.” 

Loki drooped. “You want me to help a human?”

“Yes. You owe me this, Loki!”

 

Loki frowned. “Oh alright, I’m in."  Noel clapped her hands. “Good.” “But how on earth do you plan to help Snape? He’s a nasty bugger now, Noey. He’s not the same boy you knew.”

 

Noel tilted her head and flew over to Snape. “True. But the boy is still inside of him. Severus still loves Lily deeply. Perhaps…” Noel’s eyes lit up. “I have a plan!”

 

Loki wasn’t sure if this was good or not.

PSPSPSPSPS

 “POTTER! DINNER BETTER BE READY!” Vernon Dursley shouted.

Willow flinched. ‘Why oh why was he in a bad mood now?’ Quickly she finished setting the table and waited for Petunia to give her further instructions.

Petunia Dursley took off her coat and eyed Willow with dislike.“Did you finish all of your chores?”

“Yes aunt Petunia.”

Petunia glared. “Get some cheese, bread, and a glass of water. Then go to your cupboard.

Willow nodded and hurried to do as she was told.Once safely in her ‘room’ she ate her first meal in three days. ‘Thank goodness they fed me tonight. I don’t think I could last much longer.’ Willow lay down and stared at the picture of the Snow Angle she drew. “I wonder if my mum’s an angel.” Willow hoped her mummy was. Closing her eyes she turned over to go to sleep. ‘Please give me good dreams. That’s what I’d like for Christmas.’ Willow then fell asleep, but not for long.      

 

 

The End.
Snow Angel by Nightshade

Severus started the fire in his fireplace and sighed at the warmth. He was content for the time being. Normally he hated being at Spinners End but sometimes it was good to be there. Though this house had many bad memories it also had some good ones. ‘Like the time Lily and I brewed her first potion.’ Severus smiled at the memory. He especially enjoyed the part when they had tested it on her sister Tuney.

Shaking his head he went to sit over on his favorite chair. Picking up the Potions Journal he began to read.

“Be near me Lord Jesus
I ask thee to stay
Close by me forever
and love me I pray
Bless all the dear children
in thy tender care
and feen us for Heaven
to live with thee there
 

Severus looked around wondering what the bloody hell that was! Where that voice had come from?

 

Loki laughed at the face Snape made.

 

Noel glared when she noticed what Loki had done. He’d made Severus hear Willow sing that song she seemed so fond of. “Don’t tease him!”

 

Loki rolled his eyes. ‘Sisters take the fun out of everything!’

 

Both sprites returned their attention to Severus who was waving his wand around.

 

“I must be imaging things.” Severus sighed and returned to his reading.

 

“Damn he’s stubborn.” Noel snapped.

 

Loki merely laughed and shook his head.

 

“Well, what do you think we should do?” Noel glared at her brother.

 

“Go to him. Maybe he remembers you?”

 

Noel blinked. “We can only be seen by children stupid!”

 

“Oh please! You can be seen by anyone on Christmas Eve. You’re a Christmas sprite for Pixies sake! Besides he’s seen you before so he can again.” Loki snapped at his obviously dim sister.

 

Noel sighed. “Fine, I’ll try!” She flew so she was inches from Snape’s face. “Severus, Severus?”

 

Snape gave no sign that he had heard her.

 

“Magic, you dumb arse,” Loki shouted to his sister.

 

Noel glared but then aimed her fingers at Snape. “Bless your heart; I give thee gift of fairy sight.” Gold light left her fingers and seeped into Snape’s eyes.

 

Snape blinked as his vision went from blurry to crystal clear. Hovering in front of his eyes, no bigger than his long index finger, was a small girl.

 

“Hello Severus. Remember me?”

 

Snape jumped out of his chair and aimed his wand at her. “What the bloody hell are you?” he shouted.

 

Noel felt insulted. “I’m a sprite you idiot! What do I look like, a dog?” Noel flew over to her brother. “This is all your fault, you know.”

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Loki shrugged.

 

Snape stared at the two sprites and swallowed. “W-why are you here?”

 

“I’m here because I supposedly screwed you up bad. Sis here is here because she was friends with you and that Evans girl.” Loki said.

Snape glared. “Exactly how, may I ask, did you screw me up?”

Loki actually shrank back. “I ah, I sort a…It doesn’t matter. What I’m doin’ now is giving you a second chance.”

               

Snape didn’t look convinced.

               

“You don’t remember me do you, Sev?” Noel looked very upset by this fact.

               

“I don’t ever recall seeing a sprite before.” Snape said darkly.

               

“I used to play with you and Lily. We used to throw snowballs at Petunia and sometimes I’d make them hover in the air. She couldn’t see me so she always thought it was you and Lily doing it.”

               

Snape’s eyes lightened slightly. “Noel?”

               

“YES! HE REMEMBERS MY NAME.” Noel spun around in circles and laughed her bell like laugh.

               

“Ok, ok, ok, take a chill pill.” Loki shook his head in exasperation.

               

“Why now are you here?” Severus asked Noel.

               

“You stopped believing in me. I can only appear to children who believe. And when they grow up if there belief isn’t really strong I can only be seen at Christmas. And by then it sometimes is too late.” Noel said sadly.

               

“You said something about a second chance?” Snape glared at Loki.

               

“Yeah…I sort a messed up your friendship with that Evans girl.” Loki flew high up out of Snape’s reach.

               

“YOU DID WHAT?!!!” Severus shouted.

 

“Look man it’s nothing personal, I was curious about you so I did a little experiment.” Loki said shrugging.

               

“And did I pass your test?” Snape sneered; he longed to hex Loki that very instant.

               

Loki glared. “The fact I’m here say’s no.” He stiffened.

               

“What’s wrong Loki?”

               

“It’s the kid. She’s in DEEP TROUBLE!” Loki turned to his sis. “You fill him in; I’ll see if I can help her out.” Then Loki vanished. Leaving Noel to tell Severus what he had to do to redeem himself and find happiness.

 

PSPSPSPSPS

 

Willow was jolted awake by her Uncle opening the door and yanking her out. “Stupid bitch, never should have kept you around any way!” Vernon then proceeded to beat Willow up and swear at her. He kept calling her a freak and told her she should have died along with her parents. Willow cried out in pain and prayed for it to end. But it didn’t.

               

Finally he stopped. But instead of throwing her back into the cupboard he dragged her outside and threw her into the snow. It was snowing hard out now, and the wind practically ripped the skin off it was so strong.

               

“I hope you die freak!” Vernon than slammed the door shut and went up to bed where he passed out to sleep off the alcohol.

               

Willow tried to get up and drag herself to safety.  But she was too weak from lack of food and from the beating. “I’m going to die on Christmas Eve. How messed up is that?” Laughing without humor Willow closed her eyes and willed herself to just die. It was way to cold. Surely she’d be dead soon?

               

Suddenly she heard a small voice say her name.

               

Slowly she opened her eyes and saw a strange blue little person hovering above her.

               

“Willow? Willy-girl can you hear me?”

               

“W-w-who a-are y-y-you?” She stuttered.

               

“Damn kid you’re gonna freeze!” Loki zoomed around her trying to think of something. “You have to stay awake Willow. Do you hear me? Stay awake!”

               

“Too tired,” Willow began to close her eyes.

               

“NO! No damn it you cannot fall asleep. Sing for me. Sing me that song that’s always going through your head.”

               

Willow eyed the strange figure wondering if this was a hallucination.

               

“SING!”

 

“FINE,” Willow opened her mouth and softly began to sing:  

“Away in a manger
No crib for a bed
The little Lord Jesus
lay down his sweet head
The stars in the sky
looked down where he lay
The little Lord Jesus
asleep on the hay

The cattle are lowing
the baby awakes
But little Lord Jesus
no crying he makes
I love thee Lord Jesus
look down from the sky
And stay by my cradle
'til morning is nigh

Be near me Lord Jesus
I ask thee to stay
Close by me forever
and love me I pray
Bless all the dear children
in thy tender care
and feen us for Heaven
to live with thee there”

Willow sighed and began to drift into sleep.

 

“Come on kid…fight it!” Loki felt helpless. This poor kid was gonna die any minute. And there was nothing he could do about it. ‘Come on Noey! Where’s that Christmas magic?’

 

PSPSPSPSPS

 

“So what’s this second chance you two keep mentioning?” Severus asked. Wondering again what the hell was going on.

               

“Well, I’ve noticed that you’ve made some…mistakes,” Noel began.

               

Severus snorted. “I suppose that’s one way to look at it.”

               

“Anyway,” Noel interrupted. “A way you can redeem yourself is by doing a good deed. Well it just so happens I know a good deed that you can do, and it’s in your benefit.”

               

“Indeed.” Severus didn’t look or sound convinced. “Noel… I’m a Death Eater, and I helped kill my best friend. There is no redemption for me.” He sounded and looked totally austere.

               

“Now that is exactly the type of attitude I do not tolerate, Severus Tobias Snape.” Noel placed her hands on her hips. “Everyone deserves a second chance. I know all about you Severus. Yes you made a mistake but every day since then you have done anything and everything to make emends. I believe you have more than made up for it. And if you don’t believe me, fine. But this task that I give you will most certainly help you make emends. I know for a fact that Lily would agree.”

               

Severus eyed Noel, did he dare hope? “What exactly is this task?”

               

“Save Lily’s child.”

               

Severus snorted. “The child is safe. Potter lives with relatives.”

 

Noel’s eyes widened. “Um HELLO, earth to Sev, have you completely lost your mind? Have you totally forgotten what type of people Petunia and Vernon Dursley are? THEY HATE MAGIC!”

Severus sighed. “Dumbledore assured me they child is safe.”

“And you believed him.” Noel smacked her forehead with the palm of her hand. “Pixies Sev, how thick can you get? Would I really be here if I didn’t think she needed you or you needed her?”

               

Severus laughed at this. “Me need a Potter? Have you gone senile over the last 15 years?

               

“Her name is Willow Severus. Not Potter. And she’s Lily little girl too.” Noel tilted her head. “Would you really sentence Lily’s baby to the life you had Sev?”

               

Severus glared. “She’s nothing like me. And I’d bet you anything that that girl is a spoiled brat just like her father.”

               

Noel stiffened. Loki sent had sent her a vision of what was happening now. “That ‘spoiled brat’ is dying Severus.”

               

Snape’s eyes widened. “What?”

               

Noel’s wings sped up. “She doesn’t have much time Sev…will you help her or not?”

               

Severus stood and summoned his clock. “Where is she?”

 

“Number 4 Privet Drive.” Noel then zoomed out of the house and sped towards said destination. ‘Hang on Willow, helps on the way.’

 

 

PSPSPSPSPS

 

Severus Snape appeared in front of a lamp post and instantly felt grateful for the clock and warmth charm he’d placed on himself. It was like a blizzard here!

“YO SNAPE, OVER HERE,” Loki shouted over the wind.

Narrowing his eyes to try and see clearer he noticed the blue light hovering in the air.

“Please hurry Severus.” Noel appeared beside him and pointed toward a lump in the snow.

Severus rushed over to see what it was. The sight before him made his heart instantly ach. A small child with black hair lay in the snow unmoving and blue. ‘Damn, damn, damn, damn!’  He pulled out his wand and began a series of complicated spells. She was barely alive. “We must get her warm.” He pulled off his cloak and wrapped it around the tiny child and then placed a warming charm onto her and the clock.

“Aaaah,” Willow whimpered.

“Shhh, hush now, everything will be alright.” Severus grasped her tightly to himself and slowly lifted her into the air.

Willow’s head tilted so she was looking at the ground. She saw, through all the haze and snow, a snow angel that she had somehow made. Turing back to her rescuer she noticed his angelic features. “Snow Angel,” then the darkness claimed her.

 

 

The End.
End Notes:
The song Willow keeps singing is Away in a Manger sung by Billy Gillman. I own nothing. Please R&R.
Guardians by Nightshade

Severus blinked. “Had she just called him ‘Snow Angle’? Not having time to think this further he turned to the fairies. “Get us home fast.” He knew they were fast than he was.

Noel nodded and used her magic.

Without waiting he rushed Willow into his lab and set her down on his couch. “Accio fever reduce potion.” A small vial sped towards him and he caught it expertly. Gently he pulled Willow to him and tilted her head back so she would swallow the potion; despite this though Willow still was dying. Severus noticed the bruises and blood covering her face and arms and knew this was more serious than he’d thought. “Please help me.” He looked up at the tow fairies. “I don’t have the required potions she needs.”

Noel looked over to Loki.

“There are rules, Snape.” Loki said sadly. “This is out of our hands…err… territory I mean. This is Azrael’s turf. He’s the fairy of Death after all.”

Severus glared. “There must be something we can do!”

Noel whispered into Loki’s ear.

“Hmm…maybe…perhaps…hmm.” Loki nodded and shook his head a few more times. “Well… if anyone could do it sis you could. So go for it!”

Noel smiled and vanished without another word or glance.

“Snape do everything you can to keep her alive, this may take a little while but it’s our best shot.”

“What is our best shot?” Severus demanded.

“We’re going to see if we can talk Uncle Azrael into helping out.” Severus nodded. “Please hurry.” Loki nodded before following his sister. Severus returned his attention to Willow who was barely alive now. “Child you need to hang on. Help is coming child.” He reached out and gently rang his fingers through her hair. She really looked like her father, but there was Lily in her too. She had her mother’s nose, hands, and her mother’s eyes. Perhaps he was wrong about her completely. He prayed the child wouldn’t suffer because of his lack of interest at first. ‘Please…Please whoever is up there, be you God, Merlin, or Azrael or whoever! Help this little girl, she doesn’t deserve this, no one does. Please, please, please, save her. Spare her.’  Severus bowed his head and prayed. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d prayed, but he needed to now. He just hoped that for once someone was listening.

PSPSPSPSPS

(Fairy Kingdom)

 

Noel flew into the meeting chambers and bowed to her parents. “My Lord and Lady, is Lord Azrael about?”

                 

Titania tilted her head and eyed her youngest daughter. “What is wrong Noel? Why are you not enjoying your one night of reign?”

               

“I have a problem and require uncle’s help mother.” Noel prayed her mother would be on her side. She knew her mother had a soft spot for human children.

               

Oberon raised and eyebrow and pointed over Noel’s shoulder. “Your Uncle shall hear you.”

               

Noel spun around and saw her uncle standing before her. Azrael, the Lord of the dead, was an intimidating sight. He had dark eyes and hair that stood out in contrast to his deathly white skin, he stood tall and audacious. “Noel?”

               

“Uncle, there is a human whom I have come to care for who is entering your domain,”

               

Azrael didn’t even let her finish. “Absolutely not; no human may return from the land of the dead.”

               

“She’s not dead yet, uncle.” Noel pleaded.

               

Azrael sighed. “How close is she?”

               

“Very. But uncle she’s an innocent.”

               

“Most who come to me are, Noel. I’m sorry for you loss but it is done.” Azrael turned to leave.

               

“Uncle, please! I beg of you, spare this child. She was beaten by her family tonight, the night where love should rule, yet hate intervened! I lost this child’s mother and friend because of hates inference, I shant loose her too! Please!” Noel bowed to her uncle and pleaded with her eyes.

               

Azrael eyed his niece without emotion.

               

Loki sped into the room and landed beside his sister. “Uncle, I too must beg you spare this child. It is because of me…partially, that it has come to this. Willow Potter doesn’t deserve what has befallen her. Please Uncle, Lord of the dead, release this one soul from your grasp.” Loki remained firm showing his seriousness.

               

Azrael turned his gaze to his sister and King. “What say you my Lord and Lady?”

               

“Death is yours Lord Azrael.” Oberon said.

               

Titania stood and approached her children and brother. “Why does this child mean so much to you?”

               

Noel stood as well. “She’s full of Christmas spirit and love. Very few are like that nowadays, mother. Plus without her I cannot redeem an old claim I once had, nor can she fulfill her destiny.”

               

“Which is?” Titania asked.

               

“To save the world, she’s the Girl Who Lived, mother.” Loki said quietly.

               

Titania’s eyes widened. “Azrael...”

               

Azrael nodded in understanding. “I suppose… however this cannot be done only to have her go dying on us later on.”

               

Loki and Noel looked at each other in confusion.

               

“I will agree to spare this child’s life on the condition that she has both a mortal and immortal guardian.”

               

Noel protested. “Uncle I cannot use my magic until Christmas. I’d be useless to her.”

               

“Then another must be her guardian.” Azrael said.

               

“I do not trust any other.” Noel said in despair.

               

“I’ll do it.” Loki stepped forward surprising everyone including himself.

               

“You,” Azrael raised and eyebrow in disbelieve. “You’d volunteer to be forever bonded to a human?”

               

Loki lowered his gaze and wondered what the hell he was thinking. He didn’t like humans. Sure he liked to prank them but he’d never actually liked one or watched over one, or felt protective of one. Not till Willow Potter anyway. 

               

“Know this Loki; her life right now hangs on a thread. Your choice now decides her fate as well as yours. Choose.” Azrael said decisively, his gaze cold and hard.

               

Noel and Titania watched Loki, both wondering what his choice would be.

 

Slowly Loki raised his eyes to meet the Lord of the Dead’s gaze, his choice made.

 

PSPSPSPSPS

 

Severus raised his head when he heard the sound of wings. Looking up he saw Noel and Loki hovering behind a tall black haired fairy who wore a black and silver crown. This had to be Azrael the Fairy of Death.

               

“Severus Snape I have been asked to spare this child.” Azrael eyed the mortal before him with a questioning stare. “I have agreed,” Severus sighed in relief but Azrael continued. “O n the condition Willow Jami Potter has both a mortal and immortal guardian. My nephew has agreed, what say you?”

               

Severus blinked. “I…I don’t understand. There must be someone out there better than I. she deserves better.” Severus looked down at the small child who was barley clinging to life. She was definitely a fighter, just like her parents.

               

Azrael nodded. “She may indeed deserve better, but people don’t always get what they deserve. So I ask again, for the final time; do you except my terms? Will you become guardian to Willow Potter?”

               

Severus turned his gaze to Willow again. She seemed so fragile, and she was! Did he really have the right to do this? Should he?

               

“Lily would want you to.” Azrael said suddenly.

               

“I beg your pardon?” Severus stood.

               

Azrael closed his eyes. “Lily Evans is a very persistent witch.” He eyed his niece, “Noel, I believe you know what to do and you have my blessing.”

               

Noel smiled brightly and said softly. “Lily Evans, plentyn of Love, glywed fy gwys ar y Noson Nadolig. Dewch ymlaen ac yn gwneud yr hyn yr ydych yn, gyda bendith dy a chariad ogoniant.”

           

There was a moments silence when suddenly the lights dimmed and flickered then a bright white light appeared. Lily Evans stepped forward and smiled. “Thank you Noey, and Merry Christmas.”

           

Noel smiled and kissed Lily’s cheek. “I missed you Lily flower, and Merry Christmas.”

           

Lily nodded to Azrael, and then she turned her gaze to Snape. “Hello Sev, Merry Christmas.”

           

Severus paled and took a step forward. “L-Lily, is it really you?”

           

“It is.” Lily’s smile turned sad as she eyed her daughter who was fading. “Severus you need to let me go. I love you but I also love James. I’m sorry we fought. And I’m sorry I wasn’t a very good a friend in the end.”

           

Severus shook his head. “No Lily it was never you’re fault, the blame lies with me. And…I’m sorry. For everything, it’s completely my fault that you and…your husband,”

           

Lily glared. “It was not your fault. You didn’t know who that prophecy was about. I do not blame you Sev, I never did.”

           

Tears streamed unchecked down Severus’s cheeks. “T-thank you Lily, it’s…it’s more than I deserve.”

           

Lily smiled gently at her old friend. “Severus, please take care of my little girl. I have complete faith in you. And I truly believe she is exactly what you need as well. It’s time for you to forgive yourself Sev. Everyone else has.”

           

Severus turned to Willow and saw that she was still fading. “You truly wish to place you only child in my care?”

           

“I do.” Lily said.

           

Straitening up Severus turned to Azrael. “I’ll do it. I’ll become her guardian.”

           

Azrael nodded. “Loki, come here.”

           

Loki flew forward and hovered beside Severus. “Loki Silvertongue, you have accepted responsibility for this child, is it so?”

           

“It is.” Loki said.

           

“Severus Snape, you have accepted responsibility for this child, is it so?”

           

“It is.” Severus said.

           

Azrael nodded. “Clasp hands, all three of you.” He motioned toward Lily.

           

Lily reached out and grasped hands with Severus and Loki. “Will you, Loki Silvertongue, protect my daughter, Willow Jami Potter?”

           

Loki’s eyes flickered to Willow as he said, “I will.”

           

A golden thread wrapped around Loki and Willow’s arms.

           

“Severus Snape, will you protect my daughter, Willow Jami Potter?”

           

“I will.” Another golden clasp appeared on Willows arm and one appeared on Severus’s.

           

“And do you both swear to support and guide her throughout her life? Care for her, protect her, and love her?” Lily asked.

           

“I do.” Severus swore.

           

“I do.” Loki answered.

           

Two more threads appeared on Willow while Loki and Severus each received one.

           

Azrael approached Willow and gently placed his hand on her brow. “Live child, you have earned the right to rest. Your battle is over, for now.” He turned to Lily. “We must return.”

           

Lily nodded, she turned to Loki. “Take care of her. Don’t play with her life like you have so many others. She is not a toy, she is your ward.”

           

Loki nodded and went over to Willow.

           

Lily turned to Severus. “Love her Sev; she’s your child now too.”

           

Severus nodded once. “Goodbye Lily.”

           

“Goodbye Severus, and merry Christmas, to all of you.”

           

Noel smiled. “I shall go with you, Lily. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen each other.”

           

Lily laughed.

           

“Merry Christmas everyone, take care of that girl or there will be hell to pay next year.” Noel warned.

           

“Just leave already,” Loki said tiredly he was exhausted.

           

Noel bowed and blew them all a kiss before vanishing with Lily and Azrael by her side.

           

Loki sighed. “So, now what do we do?”

           

Severus snorted. “How am I supposed to know?”

           

Loki shrugged.

           

“We sleep, and tomorrow we start… we start moving on.”

           

Loki nodded after a moment. “Sounds good, it’s simple and easy to remember.” He zoomed over to Willow’s pillow and lay down beside her head. “Night, Snape.”

           

Severus shook his head not believing he was stuck with the fairy of mischief, “Night pest.”

           

“PEST,” Loki glared before turning to Willow. “Good night darling, and merry Christmas.” Loki then fell asleep.

           

Severus remained awake for a few minutes and just stared at Willow and Loki. “Goodnight, little Snow Angel. Merry Christmas,” Severus then too feel asleep.

           

And all three of them dreamed of the life they would have together.   

 

 

The End.
End Notes:
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

WELSH: Lily Evans, plentyn of Love, glywed fy gwys ar y Noson Nadolig. Dewch ymlaen ac yn gwneud yr hyn yr ydych yn, gyda bendith dy a chariad ogoniant.”
ENGLISH: Lily Evans, child of Love, hear my summons on this Christmas Night. Come forth and do what you will, with thy blessing and thy love.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2039