Of Trolls and Wizard kids by LLALVA
Summary: At the beginning of Harry's first year at Hogwarts, the staff realize that he needs someone to help him.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: Of Children and Parents and Magical Beast
Chapters: 22 Completed: Yes Word count: 79523 Read: 160232 Published: 11 Jan 2010 Updated: 13 Mar 2010
Chapter 16 by LLALVA
Author's Notes:
Harry get himself and his friends in trouble. Thanks a lot to Celeste for her help. Please tell me if you like it and what do you think Snape is going to do.

It was Saturday afternoon and Hermione and Harry were at the school library researching for Harry’s essay.

“Do you think that Professor McGonagall would inform my parents?”

“I don’t know," shrugged Harry.

"They called Mr. and Mrs. Weasley but they have not said anything about a D.” Hermione did not say the word in case someone hear her.

“I heard them tell Ron that he should be careful with the exotic plants…” said Harry.

“I hope she doesn’t, after the Troll they said… I don’t want to be grounded during the summer…”

“At least you do not have to write an essay…”

“That is easy Harry, you should have finished hours ago, I told you to stop drawing…”

“I want to draw how Norbert would look as an adult. I bet Hagrid would like to have it…”

“What are you doing in here, Potter?” They had not heard the blond-boy entering the library.

“Writing an essay, Malfoy…”

“You are not writing…”

“I have to deliver it on Monday. It’s about Dragons.”

“I do not remember that we had any pending paper about that. Is it an extra credit?”

“No. I… Your Head of House asked for it.”

“I do not remember Professor Snape talking about dragons in class. What did you do?”

“It is non of your business.”

“It is if you can’t go out and fly, I wanted to borrow your broom…”

“I can’t go out until I finish this. Three feet.”

“So it was something big…” Malfoy saw the open books. “Maybe as big as a Dragon!”

Hermione flinched. Malfoy knew that he was on to something…

“You are funny Malfoy…” Said Harry changing the color of his pencil.

“Not really, I did hear a rumor.” Harry was drawing so he didn’t realize that Malfoy was fishing for information.

“Where did you hear it Malfoy? The only ones that know about it are my father and McGonagall…”

“Harry!” Hermione exclaimed.

“So there is a Dragon…”

“But you said…”

“You are so easy to make to talk Potter.” Malfoy sat beside him and taking a blank piece of paper started drawing. “Tell me.” He said in a conspiratorial tone.

“I cant.”

“C’m on. Where is Weasley?”

“Infirmary.”

“So he was hurt by the dragon… But where did you find it. A dragon is too big to be in the Forbidden forest.”

“Malfoy, if I tell you I will have more trouble than just having to write an essay.”

“I will help you write it.”

“Malfoy, it is his work!”

“It’s not homework, Granger!”

“No, but he is supposed to learn from it.”

“I will help you write it and then we can go out and fly, don’t you want that?”

“Yes.”

“Harry! Professor Snape would realize that it is not in your handwriting…”

“I am not going to write it for him, I will only comment on it and Potter may write it…”

“Ok.” Harry did not look at Hermione. Malfoy took some of the books that were around and took some notes in a piece of paper. Harry was finishing with the drawing when he said.

“I think that you are playing with me. There is no dragon…”

“Yes, there is…” Harry covered his mouth with his hands.

“Where is it, Potter?” Harry knew that half the story was out already so he said.

“Hagrid’s Cabin.” Malfoy was more than interested. The only dragons he had seen had been in pictures. “Hagrid…? Would he let me see it? If you ask him? How big is it?”

“You are going to be in so much trouble, Harry.” Hermione kept warning Harry.

“You won’t be able to see it, Malfoy, Hagrid won’t let you and it is going to be sent to a sanctuary tonight.”

“Wow! And how did he come to find a dragon?”

“I am not sure but he has always liked dragons.”

“Harry!”

“Hermione!”

“What?” Asked the girl, had her friend realized that whom ever gave the dragon to Hagrid could have obtained the clue to go by the three-headed dog and steal the stone?

“Stop saying my name like that!” Said Harry. Boys were so exasperating! She sulked behind the book she was reading.

“So I won’t be able to see the Dragon…”

Harry looked at the blond boy. Draco was not his friend but they had done things together and it had been fun to ride in the snow and they had flown also… And Harry wanted to see Norbert for a last time… and his restless bone was tickling. “You could, if you hide tonight at midnight in the tallest tower…”

“Are you serious?” Draco knew that he would be in a lot of trouble if he was to be caught outside his dorm after curfew. Did Potter want him to be in trouble? Were they friends? “Would you come with me?”

“Do you know what my father will do to us if we are caught out of our dorms after curfew?” That was a challenge.

“And after all the trouble you already are in because of that creature!” Said a voice behind a book.

Malfoy looked at him. “He caught us last year, Potter, we are smarter now.” The challenge was accepted.

“I have to find out what is my father going to do this evening...”

“Lets finish with your work and go flying before it gets dark.”

Harry finished writing his essay and they went out to fly in the Quidditch camp. Then Harry and Hermione went to see Ron.

“Hi there guys!”

“Ron how do you feel?”

“Much better. I just feel a tingle in the place that Norbert bite me…”

“When are you coming out?”

“Madam Pomfrey said that I can go back to the dorm tomorrow and back to class on Monday.”

“Are your parents still in the Castle?”

“No they left after lunch. What have you been up to?”

“Nothing much, I had to write an essay for my father… he was very angry, but we didn’t know how dangerous such a small dragon could be…”

“Madam Pomfrey said that if you had not told them about the dragon I could have died because of the poison or lost my hand.”

“Dad said that I should have told him the moment that you were bitten.”

“It’s still strange to hear you call him dad.”

“I am used to it, I have to be careful and remember calling him Professor in class and in the halls…”

“What else did you do today mate?”

“I drew a picture of Norbert…”

“And told the story to Malfoy…” Completed Hermione.

“Malfoy knows about Norbert?”

“I did not mean to tell him, I thought he already knew…”

“Norbert will be on his way to Rumania by midnight, so I guess there is no problem. No one will believe that a dragon was here…”

“Harry wants to hide in the tower tonight with Malfoy and show him the dragon!”

“Harry…”

“What? You are not going to tell me that it is dangerous, are you?”

“I want to go. I was your friend before Malfoy.”

“Ronald! You too! Can’t any of you realize the tons of trouble you will be in? You may loose points, we are going to get the house cup and…”

“At what time does Madam Pomfrey expect you asleep?”

“9.30 but I can pretend I am sleepy before…”

“No, that is fine, tell her that you are a little cold, so she will close the curtains around you. Try to sneak out as soon as she enters her office, Malfoy and I will meet outside the Charms classroom. It is the one nearest the tower and they have to take those stairs to go up, so it will be a good place to be in. We will stay there in the dark and see the dragon pass then we will just go back to bed…”

“All that trouble for a small glimpse of a dragon… If you ask me, I looked at him long enough.” The boys had tuned Hermione out.

“Are you sleeping in the dungeons?”

“Not today. Snape said that I have to sleep in the tower, he does not want to leave me alone. As if I were to start a fire or something. I am not a baby! It is better like this, the wards in my room would tell him if I go out. We’ll meet with Malfoy at 10.”

“Is that why you are doing this, Harry? Because Professor Snape told you that you could not sleep in your room tonight?”

“Hermione you are welcome if you want to come with us, if not, please stop nagging.”

“I don’t nag. I just want to understand.”

“Sorry, Hermione. I know it is mischief. But nothing more.”

“I will come with you.” Hermione decided, Harry was going to get in trouble and there was nothing she could say to stop him, she could at least go with him and help him if possible.

Harry left his friends and went to the Dungeons, Snape was not there. Harry guessed that he was probably with Hagrid getting the things ready for Norbert to go. Well, if he wanted Harry out of the way he would only place the essay on Snape’s desk and go to his common room. It would help if he did not see Snape this afternoon, the man had the uncanny ability of reading Harry thoughts.

He was about to go out when Severus arrived. The man looked happy to see him.

“Harry! Hello, son.”

“Hello, Sir.”


Snape had talked with Harry the day before. While they were in the lab. Harry was washing cauldrons and the professor was grading the quizzes.

“…but I can help you.”

“You can help me more if you stay in your bed and rest, son. Minerva, Hagrid and I are more that capable of carrying the dragon up to the tower, but if something goes wrong it will help me to know that you are out of danger.”

“I am not a baby.” Harry mumbled and attacked the cauldron.

“What was that?” Harry knew that Snape had a very good hearing.

“Nothing. Just that this cauldron is really dirty.”

“That is what happens when you do not mix the ingredients with the correct timing, they stick together.” Snape used every available occasion to teach!

“I could carry something you need.” Said Harry after rinsing the cauldron.

“What do you mean?” Snape had forgotten what they were talking about, he was trying to understand what was scribbled on the parchment. He couldn’t fathom why girls insisted in using different colors and placing small hearts instead of dots in the ‘i’s?

“I said that I could help by carrying Norbert’s food or maybe as a look out.”

“Harry. I am not going to keep on discussing this matter. You won’t come with us, no matter how much help you think you can give us. You will be in your bed, in your dorm and inside your tower. That is my final word. Are we clear?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“If you have finished dry your hands and help me sort this cupboard, I need you to find the vials that are almost empty.”

“Do I have to wash them also?”

“I would appreciate the gesture. Your detention ends at dinner time, please wash as many as possible.”

“Yes, Sir.” Harry opened the cupboard and started collecting the empty vials. He kept quiet most of the time, only asking Snape some questions about the vials. He washed them all before dinner. When they were leaving the lab Snape placed his arm around him and asked.

“Harry, you understand that all I want is to keep you out of danger, don’t you?”

“Yes, Sir.” Snape stretched the hug. “Good boy, what do you want for dinner?”


Harry felt strange to face Snape now, when he was planning so much mischief. He had to be careful.

“I saw you flying with Draco while I was with Hagrid.”

“Yes, he likes to use my broom. Is every thing ready with Norbert?”

“Yes. Hagrid spent all the night writing instructions to the people that would take care of him.”

“I will have dinner with Ron in the Infirmary.”

“That is good. We’ll see at breakfast and I will tell you all that happened. Ok?”

“Yes, Sir.” Harry left fast.

Snape thought that the boy was still sulking about not being able to go with him, too bad. The place of a young boy was not to be in the proximity of a dragon… they would see each other for breakfast the next morning.

Harry ran to the Infirmary, he wanted to stay in his room! But, he thought, it was good that he was going to sleep in the tower, or he wouldn’t be able to go out after curfew. He found Neville, Dean and Seamus discussing Quidditch with Ron. They decided to stay there with Harry and Ron for dinner.

Madam Pomfrey had no other sick person in the Infirmary so she allowed them to stay and cheer Ron up, they did not have to stay silent.

After dinner she did send them to their Common room, because she needed to change the bandages on Ron’s hand. Harry went out with his dorm mates and entered the Gryffindor Tower. Hermione was in the common room reading a book. Harry went to sit by her.

“Are you going to do it, Harry?” She said with out taking her eyes form the book.

“Yes, are you coming?” Harry was decided.

Hermione sighed,” Yes. I will have to wait for Lavender and Parvatti to be asleep. We had to go in separate ways.”

“I will tell the guys that I am sleeping in the dungeons so they won’t be surprised when I leave, I will wait until 5 minutes before curfew.”

“There is so many comings and goings on Saturday nights that the Fat Lady won’t know who is in or out.” Hermione placed her book down.

“We will meet at the charms classroom around ten.” Harry went up to his dorm. “Be careful” He heard as he was going up stairs. “You too.” Harry looked at his friend she was scared but resolute. Ron and he were not a very good influence. He went to his trunk to get his cloak. He knew that he was being very naughty, but he had been a very good boy for more than two months! And his father thought that he was a baby! Malfoy did not know about the cloak and Harry hoped that they would not have to use it… this was pure mischief!


Harry sat beside the wall on the charms classroom and must have fallen asleep, because he was awakened by Ron.

“Wake up mate…”

“Ron”

“Ready pal?”

“Yes.”

Malfoy arrived minutes later.

“Sorry I was late, I had to wait for the Prefects to go to sleep. I think that Snape told them to be sure every one was in bed….”

“Don’t worry, any way they will be here close to midnight.” They heard movement and Hermione appeared, with Neville.

“You didn’t tell me that I could bring a friend,” said Malfoy.

“This is getting too crowded…” said Ron.

“Neville was in the common room and insisted…”

“I have always liked dragons.”

“What do we do now?”

“We must be really quiet. And wait.”

“What time is it?”

“Almost 11.” Hermione used a ‘time charm’”

“How can you do that so easily?” Asked Neville.

‘Because even thought she is muggleborn she has brains.’ Malfoy surprised himself thinking this, for several reasons. First, he resented the girl, because she always knew the answers, but he thought of her as a pest, not as smart. And second, he did not say it out loud, which was good, because he could imagine the Gryffindors ganging on him defending Longbottom, he may have melted his brain along with his cauldrons, but he knew how to make friends. How could he be a Pureblood? Malfoy concluded that he was too well-bred and knew when to keep quiet.

They sat with their backs to the wall to wait.

They had to be quiet. They knew that Filch was patrolling the corridors and his cat was really nasty, she had a very good ear.

Harry thought that this felt very much like standing with his nose in the corner, not able to say a word and with lots of time to think about what he had done and what he would do next.

He looked at his sides and saw his friends sitting silently. Hermione was explaining to Neville with signs the movements he should make for the ‘time charm’ Neville followed her, tentatively until he could do it. Neville beamed at his teacher.

Malfoy was on his left, the blond boy waited expectantly. They may not be able to look at Norbert, his father had said that the cage that Professor McGonagall had created was very sturdy and did not allow him to reach out. And it would be carried by Hagrid…

Ron was looking at the bandage in his hand, he said that he was all right, but in the pale light Harry could see that he still had a taint of green.

Why were they here? This was not a rescue mission or an investigation. They had successfully left their beds… would they be able to go back with out being caught? What did he, the instigator, really want?

Harry wanted Snape… no Snape, his father to catch him. He wanted to show him that he was not a baby, that he could help. That he did not need to be send to bed when something dangerous was happening…


Harry had in his room a copy of the Adoption papers signed by the Minister Fudge. That plus the Adoption ceremony said that he was Snape’s son. He had felt the magic inside him when they touched their fingers with the pinpricks and their blood mixed but… he did not trust that it was permanent. It was too good. Harry had been told since before he could remember that he was a burden, a freak and that no one could love him, ever. He was told that he didn’t deserve anything. And Severus… his father had said some very different things. He had given him warm clothes and support and… he said that he loved him and the magic wouldn’t have worked otherwise. Would it?

The previous night. Harry had overheard Professor Dumbledore and his father talking about what happened on the Ministry of Magic the day they got the papers… They had used some magic balls to make the Minister believe that he shouldn’t go against the adoption ritual… but had they used something similar the day of the adoption…? Harry wanted to believe that he had felt the love reaching out from his parents and from his new father but… could that be only make believe… an illusion?


Would sooner or later his father realize that he was a burden and would want to discard him? He should allow Snape to know that he was troublesome and disobedient and reckless and… he should have a chance to get out of adopting Harry… But his friends shouldn’t be here. They had to go back to their beds. Reaching a decision he turned to his friends.

“Hey guys… I have thought about this, and, we should go back to our Houses…”

“What about the dragon?” Said Malfoy and Neville.

“I do not think that we would be able to see it guys… and there is a very big probability that we would be caught and… I do not want you to loose points.”

Hermione looked at him. “Harry, I think it is too late to go back” They heard voices in the corridor. They were hidden in the dark.

Hagrid was sniffling and somehow he was trying to negotiate with the schoolteachers to let him keep Norbert for a little longer…

“Jus’ for a fortnight, Professor. I’m sure that the lil’le one would learn to behave and…”

“Hagrid, Norbert will have a nice place with members of his species… that is better. A wild beast like him needs open fields to grow.” McGonagall explained.

“But the other Dragons may not like him.”

“Of course they will. Won’t they Severus?”

Harry could hear his father’s sarcasm in a low snort he gave.

“I should have given him a snack for the way, don’ you think?”

“I am sure that he will be fine, Hagrid.”

McGonagall was leading the party up. Hagrid was behind her, carrying the caged dragon and Snape was last.

Inside the cage Norbert was restless, he did not like to be carried this way. And somehow felt Hagrid’s distress. And he translated that distress into hunger. He smelled around and caught a smell of food. Something he had eaten before…

He had smelled Ron. And Ron’s injury that was still slightly open under the bandages. Norbert knew that there was food near. He felt the movement of the man that was holding him and whirled.

Hagrid let the cage go. It fell to the floor and the door opened.

McGonagall was 10 feet ahead, she turned to look, the small dragon got out of the cage and walked toward a classroom.

Hagrid saw the dragon and tried to call him, he was after all his ‘Mum’.

Snape was approximately 8 feet behind. He heard the crash and looked for something to transfigure into a rope, to tie the beast. The dragon was heading into an empty classroom, he would not have room to run farther. He and Minerva would be able to place him back in the cage. He was not counting on the scream he heard.

It sounded as if five voices screamed at the same time!

For and instant Severus thought that it was a nightmare, it couldn’t be. Harry was in his bed at the Tower. Minerva had said…

He entered the classroom and saw a scary look. His son, Harry was holding a chair and using it to keep the dragon back. Beside him Draco Malfoy was holding a desk from the top and using the legs to fend also. Granger, Longbottom and Weasley were also there! With their wands in their hands. Stupid children what were they doing here?!

The children were not scared. They had been startled at first. And knew that the dragon shouldn’t bite them. But the dragon was not that big… He was half their size and it did look cute walking towards them and moving his wings… The dragon opened his mouth recognizing Harry and Hermione whom had fed him and also Ron, whom he had tried to eat…

Minerva appeared beside him and transformed a chair into a glass wall that protected the children. Then Hagrid entered and held his pet from behind. He wanted to be sure that he was alright, before placing him carefully inside the cage.

“C’me ‘ere Norbert, c’me to mama” The little dragon was placed with out problem in the cage. Hagrid then turned and looked at the ‘captive’ audience.

“Shouldn’ these chil’en be in bed?” Asked the half giant.

Both Minerva and Snape looked at their charges. Four Gryffindors and one Slytherin. Then at each other. They were angry, confused and plain tired! Minerva looked at her watch and saw that midnight was very close.

“Let’s go up to the tower and deliver the dragon, Severus. They can’t get out of there.”

The children saw the two teachers go in silence.

Harry leaned on the glass wall and let himself slide down to the floor. His father’s look had pierced him to the soul. Something was sure. If Snape was going to repent from being his father, this was the moment.

The End.
End Notes:
Please tell me if you like it and what do you think Snape is going to do.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2059