Of Trolls and Wizard kids by LLALVA
Summary: At the beginning of Harry's first year at Hogwarts, the staff realize that he needs someone to help him.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: Of Children and Parents and Magical Beast
Chapters: 22 Completed: Yes Word count: 79523 Read: 160211 Published: 11 Jan 2010 Updated: 13 Mar 2010
Chapter 18 by LLALVA
Author's Notes:
End of the punishment and a little bit of nonsense. I hope you like cat-Harry.
Thanks a lot to Celeste. Please review.

On Sunday Harry woke in his room in the dungeons and looked around. He was happy to be there, it had been a very tiring week. And he had only been able to see his father in class.

With his bedtime set at 8 he had very little time to visit or to do anything fun. He had to have his homework ready before dinner as after dinner he had to use all the time available to write lines!

No body knew about the dragon, but everyone learned about the five children that were caught after curfew. And learned about the trouble they were in.

The teachers had not been sympathetic, they had assigned researches and essays as if theirs were the only classes Harry was taking. And Binns had asked him for extra work because of the class he missed! Even his father… He had transformed into the ‘Evil git from the Dungeons’ and asked for thousands of ingredients properties to be researched for the next class, and then made them brew from memory a laughing potion!

As if there was anything to laugh about. And his fellow housemates had been very angry about the 40 points that were deducted from Gryffindor that had placed them behind in the contest for the house cup. They made snide remarks about the ‘point losing babies’! And the Gryffindor prefects… They were nasty covered in honey. He knew that his father and Professor McGonagall had lectured them until they wished their ears would fall off, and the Potion’s Master had made them prepare the most disgusting ingredients. But they enjoyed in a sadistic way that they had to supervise the ‘foolish firsties’ to bed each night.

Hermione, Ron, Neville and Harry had to stay in the Common room for most of the time after dinner, and at 7.30 one of the prefects would say.

“It’s time to get our babies ready for bed” And they would help them pack their backpacks and ask them to go up to their rooms. The rest of the Gryffindors would only enjoy the show and some would make comments like “Lovely babies” or that they should were nappies! Harry had protested one of the days and the prefect, Percy Weasley! presented him with a pacifier the next night! and placed it in Harry’s mouth before giving him the token.

Then one would go up with Hermione and wait for her to put on her pajamas and get ready for bed. And gave her the token. That was not so bad, but Percy went with Ron, Harry and Neville and he was really unpleasant with Ron, one night he made him change his underwear twice! And did threaten to have him wear nappies. Once they were in bed he always asked them if they wanted a story. And it didn’t matter what they answered, he always sat and made like opening a book and sat there telling them stories about bad boys that were eaten by giants or by monsters or wild animals because they were disobedient. Only when he had given them the grossest details, he made to tuck their beds and gave them the token. And to add insult to injury. The token was a small dragon figurine! Professor McGonagall had a very crooked sense of humor.

Fortunately the 6 nights had passed and Harry and his friends gave the tokens to their Head of House on Saturday evening.

McGonagall gave them a small lecture and reminded them that the following of the rules was for their safety. And then allowed them to go. Harry was allowed to visit his father and to sleep in his bed that night.

Harry stretched like a cat, and thought that he would like to have pancakes for breakfast. Then he thought that it would be fun to be a cat. He remembered that his cousin, once when they were 6 or 7, had said at the breakfast table that he was going to be a monkey. Aunt Petunia had looked at him adoringly and asked what that meant and Dudley had refused to speak, he just screeched and tried to sound like a monkey. Aunt Petunia was amazed and she said that Dudley could be a little monkey for the day and gave him bananas and oranges. And later gave him ice cream, and spoon fed him with soup. Harry knew that monkeys did not eat ice cream, but he was not asked his opinion. Dudley had kept acting like a monkey until bedtime. When he said that he was going to be a boy again and aunt Petunia said she was glad because she loved her little boy very much. Harry thought it had been funny although he was made to stay keeping watch of the ‘monkey’ and putting to rights all the things he threw down… What would his father said if Harry was to behave like a cat for the day?

Harry stretched again and decided to find out. He stayed in bed until he heard sounds from the kitchen and knew his father was preparing breakfast. He went out to inform him he wanted pancakes, but was received by the smell of porridge.

“Porridge!”

“No whining, child, porridge is a very healthy breakfast.”

“But I want pancakes or waffles or…” Snape interrupted him.

“You have enough sugar on weekdays, I have to see that you have healthy meals at least once a week.”

“But I have grown and I am in the right weight now, even Madam Pomfrey said so, I do not need ‘fattening’ any more.”

“Wash your hands, breakfast is ready. You may have a fried egg and toast after you finish your porridge.”

Harry obeyed, knowing that there was no use to fight with his father over breakfast. He was in the middle of it when he asked. “What are you going to do today?”

“I have a lot of things to grade. And as OWLs and NEWTs are near I have scheduled some meetings with the fifth and seventh years after lunch. Have you started reviewing for your finals?”

“Hermione has been preparing since March.”

“I am glad, she is a good student, but I asked about you.”

“I do not want to study today. Its Sunday…”

“I expect you to have good grades, Son. So if you do not want to study… what do you want to do?”

“I want to… I want to be a cat.”

“What are you talking about, child?” Snape took a look at the porridge, had the child eaten something that made him have that notion?

“I do not want to transform into a cat, Professor McGonagall can do it, it is weird, but I want to pretend that I am a cat.” Harry knew that it sounded childish, would his father remind him that he was 11, almost 12 years old? He looked at the stern man. Severus looked at him up and down. “Just pretend?”

“Meow.” Snape was amazed, Harry had the strangest notions. “So you are going to mewl away your day?”

“Meow.”

“And what does a cat do for fun?” Harry had not given it a lot of thought, he was glad that his father had decided to play along. Harry went to his room and took a blanket from his bed, then he went to the living room and placed it over the sofa, he placed the blanket making a small cave and snuggled in the sofa with it covering him and smiling said “Meow”.

“So my cat wants to stay cuddled in a blanket all day.”

“Meow.”

“Suit yourself my child, I am going to review papers until lunch.”

Harry snuggled and closed his eyes. What do cat’s do for fun? He remembered that Mrs. Figg had a lot of cats, and mostly they just lie on chairs or on the sun. Some others like to play chase and pounce on each other. Harry opened one eye and looked at his father. There were several piles of papers in front of him, he bet that he wouldn’t take it well if Harry pounced on the desk. What else? There were two cats that always wanted to be petted and pestered Harry until he gave up and rubbed their backs. That would be nice, like the night his father rubbed his back until he fell asleep… Harry closed his eyes again and may have fallen asleep because he felt hungry when he opened them again.

“Meow! Meow!” Severus looked from his place to the child. “I see that you are awake now, lazy cat, it’s almost lunch time. Would you want some cat food?”

Harry shook his head. “Meow.”

“Picky…that is all that cats should eat. People food makes them sick.”

Harry shook his head. “Meow.”

“I will feed a child, not a cat.” It was Snape’s moment to be stubborn. But he wanted to talk with his son and it would be tiring with him mewling.

Harry shook his head. “Meow.” Again. And made him tender wanting eyes.

“How about some tuna salad?” Relented Severus.

“Meow!Meow!”

“Good and some chicken soup, but you have to use spoons and forks.”

“Meow.” Assented the boy.

Harry knew he was being foolish, but it was fun! Snape had received some parenting books the day of the ‘child-shower’ and had read parts, he guessed that Harry was behaving like a much younger kid because he had missed being able to fool around, as his relatives did not allow him to play and also because he trusted him completely and was not scared of being ridiculed or harmed in any way.

The cat-child ate his soup and salad happily, Severus insisted that he should drink some milk with his meal and the pretended pet did not protest.

After they finished the meal, Harry took his father’ sleeve and pulled him mewling to the sofa, where he sat behind him and placed his head under Severus hand.

“What are you doing cat-Harry?”

“Meow, meow, meow…”

“Now you want to be petted. Don’t you?”

The boy nodded. “Meow!”

Snape looked at him. “I am getting tired of this nonsense, child,” He said but started petting him. He placed his hand under Harry’s pajama jacket and scratched his back softly. The boy was almost purring. “And you are still in your night clothes, you should be doing something else.” He gave Harry a light slap in the rump. “There child, I have to go to my office for a while, you may stay here and keep with your game or you may go out with your broom.”

“But,” said Harry with out moving from his father’s knees. “It is not fun to be a cat if I am alone.”

“I’ve heard that cats like to be alone.” Snape tickled him.

“I am not that kind of cat, I like to be here with you.”

“But I am busy today, Son. We can’t stay on the sofa all day. You can if you want.” The cat-Harry pouted a little. “Maybe I will go out and fly.”

“Get dressed first.”

“Can I be a cat later? Like after dinner?”

“You are sleeping in your dorm. Would your housemates play along?”

“No, I don’t think so… Next week?”

“Yes, Harry.” Severus messed his hair. “Get your helmet.”

Harry left his room dressed and ready to fly. Snape was standing at his desk. “I reviewed your essay about dragons, Harry.” Harry held his breath, had his father noticed that he had been helped…? “Why did you make a drawing?” Harry breathed again but carefully.

“It is for Hagrid, the picture was in one of the books we used for the research…”

“We?”

“Hermione helped me with the research and also Draco… a little.”

“I see. I noted also that your work was very good, I expect that you will maintain this level of thoroughness on your homework, from now on.

Severus did not need to look at his son to know that he had flinched.

“Yes, dad.”

“You may take the drawing to Hagrid this afternoon.

“Yes, dad.”

“Come in before dinner and be careful with his pets.”


Harry had taken his broom, his helmet and Hagrid’s drawing out to the Quidditch field. Ron asked to use his broom first. Hermione had a book and sat reading on the bleachers. Harry sat behind her and asked some questions about the book… After a while he stood up.

“Where are you going? Are you not going to fly?” Hermione closed her book.

“Ron is going to take a while… I am going to visit Hagrid, do you want to come?”

“Does he have another surprise?”

“No. I am taking him the drawing I made of Norbert.”

The two friends walked toward the cabin and found the big man chopping some wood.

“Hi there kids! How have you been?” Hagrid walked with them inside the cabin.

“Grounded” said Harry. Hermione nudged him with her elbow. Hagrid did not notice. He placed a teapot on the fire and sat down.

“I got a letter from Charlie, he said that,” The man pulled out a tablecloth sized handkerchief and dried his eyes. “He said that little Norbert is fine, he is making a lot of friends… I wish I could go and visit him…”

Harry stood up and said. “I have something for you Hagrid.” Harry handed him the drawing.

“Oh! Harry it is great! Oh! I will place it on my wall… it will remind me of Norbert…” The man blew his nose. “Dragons are my favorites. Since I was a child… Can you stay for some tea?”

“Yes.” The children helped Hagrid to place the cups on the table. They saw that Hagrid had moved some of the burnt furniture, but he had kept all.

While the teapot started boiling Hagrid found a tack and placed the drawing near his bed.

“There I will be able to see it from my bed.”


“Did you have fun with Hagrid?”

“Yes, we stayed for tea…”

“I’ve finished with the interviews, do you want to walk with me to the Great Hall?”

“Yes.”

“What is it? You look worried.”

“I’m a little worried.”

“Is there a lot of homework that you are missing?”

“No, I don’t know how we managed with all the lines and the extra homework, but we completed all, even the one that we have to deliver tomorrow…”

“Then what is it…?”

“Nothing.”

“Harry, it’s not good when you look like that.”

“I am a little worried because of something Hagrid said.”

“Is he planning to adopt a Tyrannosaurus?”

“No dad! He said that he explained the guy that gave him the egg how to get past Fluffy…And Fluffy is guarding the stone… and… someone is attacking the unicorns…

They were walking by the potion’s classroom. Severus pulled Harry in sat him on one of the tables and asked. “How do you know about the stone? Didn’t I tell you to keep your nose out of the third floor corridor?” Severus looked very sternly at his son.

“I haven’t gone near there since last year…we… I found out who was Flamel and… we figured that what Fluffy is guarding is a Philosopher’ stone and… Now someone knows how to get past Fluffy…”

Severus covered his face with his hands. Was every child or only this one so complicated?

“Son, you know that I do not approve of your snooping around…”

“I was not snooping, I only…” Harry interrupted, but closed his mouth at Snape’s stare.

“You are right about what that beast is guarding. But ‘Fluffy’ is not the only protection in place, there are several others.”

“There are… like what?”

“I am not going to discuss them with you, just rest assured that the stone is safe. I will inform Professor Dumbledore about your findings. We do not only want to protect the stone, we want to catch anyone trying to steal it.”

“Then it’s like a trap, isn’t it?”

“Yes. It is. I do not want you near there at all. Not only the corridor is out of bounds for you, it’s the complete floor and I do not want you talking about it either. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, Dad.”

“Repeat what I said, in your own words.”

“The stone is safe because not only Fluffy is protecting it, you do not only want to keep it safe, you want to trap whomever wants to steal it… and I shouldn’t go near the third floor or talk about it, but Ron and Hermione already know… can I tell them?”

“You may only repeat what you have just told me and they are also forbidden from the proximity of the third floor.”

“Yes, father.” Harry looked at his hands. Severus remember the other piece of information that Harry had uttered…

“What did you say about the unicorns?”

“Hagrid is worried because some one killed a unicorn… and Hermione said that if someone is drinking unicorn blood… We guessed that it’s the same one that is trying to get the stone…”

Severus was beginning to feel a headache coming, he could never understand the way young minds could jump to their conclusions.

“I will ask Hagrid to report his findings to the Head Master.”

“So, do you think we are right?”

“I did not say that…there are dangerous creatures in the forest, Harry, you are also not allowed to go near there, understood?”

“I know it’s forbidden…”

“Knowledge has not stopped you in the past.” Snape took him by the arms and placed him on the floor. “Let’s go to dinner and stop worrying about the stone, we are taking care of that.”

“Yes, father.”


“Severus… I thought it was Filius turn to patrol tonight.” McGonogall saw him from her opened door.

“It is his turn, I needed to walk…”

“Something you need to talk about?”

“Inquisitiveness of a certain green-eyed child.”

“What now?”

Severus told Minerva about his latest conversation with Harry, about the stone and about the unicorns.

“If those children were to apply the same efforts in their studies…”

“I know.”

“Are you worried that he will not heed your orders?”

“I know that he will not stop worrying, but I trust that he will obey me.”

“You two have walked a long way.”

“I am sure that it’s only baby steps, I may be worrying too much.”

“I’ve heard that it’s part of being a parent.”

“And I am just starting. Although I trust that Harry will mind me. There is something dark approaching.”

“We have tried all the protections Severus, the Stone is safe.”

“I am worrying because of one of our colleagues…”

“Quirrell?”

“The man is stranger that ever and he is obsessed with the stone. I have to be careful not to use the lavatory if he is in there.”

“And what do you think?”

“I think that… I may be as delusional as my son, but I think that someone is making Quirrell ask too many questions.”

“He wanted me to explain to him in detail the charms that I placed in the chamber…”

“Did you?”

“Of course not, I told him that transfiguration was a very ample field and allowed to do a lot of things. I may have implied that I had used armors…”

“He pestered me about my part in the protection… I asked him if he had heard about the draught of the living death…”

“Zombies?”

“I did not explain…”

“Do you think he is under any duress?”

“I don’t know, sometimes he is trembling as a tree leave and sometimes it’s like he breakfasted some backbone.”

“Does Harry know about Quirrell’s questions?”

“Not at all. He is wary of the man since New Year. The man gives him a headache sometimes.”

“A headache?”

“Poppy believes that it’s a kind of allergy, any way Harry does not speak with the man outside of the classroom.”

“Did he mention anything about the restriction?”

“Just that he was glad that it ended. I overheard a little bit of his conversation with his co-conspirators and pacifiers, nappies and bedtime stories were mentioned. Don’t you think that Mr. Weasley was too zealous in his dealings with the lions?”

“Do you think I should look into it?”

“Some retribution was also discussed, so he will be… how may I say it… surprised.”

“As long as they do not make a mess of the common room or the corridors… all is fair play.”

“I would like to be there.”

“We can’t sanction it.”

“Pity… well… I’m glad we talked.”

Minerva only smiled.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2059