The Final Breeze 2 by grugster
Summary: That's the sequel to "The Final Breeze". Harry and Severus aren't coping well with their life after Voldemorts defeat. Then a potion accident turns their life upwards down because Harry is turned twelve and Severus thirteen.
Categories: Big Brother Snape Main Characters: Arthur, Charlie, Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Neville, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, .Snape and Harry (required), Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Romance/Slash, Self-harm, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: The Final Breeze
Chapters: 45 Completed: Yes Word count: 130841 Read: 202428 Published: 06 Feb 2010 Updated: 19 May 2012
Chapter 10 – Heads of House by grugster

-II-

"Like what?" Harry asked, worried.

"Please, Harry, it won't help you two if I tell you all the possibilities," Poppy said, depressed.

"Please tell us, Poppy," Severus pleaded and looked at her with a puppy look.

Again she sighed. "The most likely effect will be concentration problems or unusual tiredness. You two may also react very emotionally in situation where you normally wouldn't react like that. Panic attacks might overcome you more easily, you could lose your memories temporarily...please don't make me go on," Poppy pleaded sadly.

Severus and Harry both stared wide-eyed at her. After shaking himself out of his stupor, Harry went over to Poppy and hugged her. "We will be okay, Poppy."

Poppy smiled sadly. "I hope so."

"It is important that you don't hide symptoms from us or the Healers, boys," Alastor said from his armchair. "We can help you with all those problems, but we need to be informed if you notice them."

Harry nodded, but Severus still looked shocked. Poppy gently cupped his face and said, "You will be okay, Severus. We are here for you."

Severus nodded. Poppy would make it okay, he was sure of that.

-II-

Severus nervously bit his bottom lip as he waited for the teachers to arrive. Minerva was the first to come through the Floo.

"Severus," she said and went over to him quickly. "I'm so glad that you are okay." Without warning, she hugged him.

The long-haired boy was shocked. He hadn't thought that Minerva would be so worried about him. "I wouldn't say so."

Minerva looked at him and could not resist the urge to brush back a loose wisp of hair from his face. "You could have died, Severus."

"Maybe it would have been better," Severus said sullenly, but regretted saying so as soon as it left his mouth. All around him he heard shocked noises, and Alastor even growled.

"Don't say thing like that, Severus. Going through childhood again isn't so bad, and you will survive going to school again as well," Minerva said seriously.

Severus pulled a face. "Don't do that or your face will get stuck," Minerva said, amused, and poked Severus in his ribs.

"Minerva," Severus said between giggles.

A giggling Severus is something I could really get used to, Minerva thought, relieved that Severus had stopped brooding.

"Err...Professor McGonagall, I mean," Severus said when she stopped tickling him.

"It's Minerva like it has been for the past sixteen years, my boy. Only in class will it be Professor McGonagall," she said and then looked at Harry. "I'm glad to see you are well, too."

"Thank you, Professor," Harry said, smiling. She ruffled Harry's hair and sat down between both boys.

The next two persons who came through the fireplace were Pomona Sprout and Filius Flitwick. "Oh, Merlin," Sprout exclaimed when her eyes fell on Severus. "He is so cute."

Severus glared daggers at the witch. "I'm in the room."

Filius chuckled. "Don't set her on fire, Severus. You know her."

"I couldn't even if I wanted to; I don't have my wand," Severus said, frustrated, and glared at Alastor.

"You and Harry will get your wands after the meeting. We had to give them to the Ministry for an inspection, but Kingsley brought them back this morning," Alastor explained.

Pomona, meanwhile, had hugged Harry and was now on her way to Severus, who looked mortified.

The tiny wizard chuckled seeing the help-seeking look that was directed at him by Severus. "I can't stop her, Severus."

"You are the best dueling wizard-"

"Oh, you are so cute, Severus," Pomona said and pinched his cheeks.

"Pomona, I'm twelve, not four!" Severus protested and leaned backwards when she hovered over him.

"Oh, how I wish you were one of my Hufflepuffs, Severus," she said and kissed his cheek. "I would take good care of you, and my second years would watch out for you."

"Or they would kick me the moment you turn around," Severus mumbled bitterly.

"They wouldn't," Pomona exclaimed, shocked. "If any of my children harass you, I want you to come straight to me, Severus," the witch said, determined.

"Yeah, sure, so they will pick on me for being a traitor as well. Oh, wait, that's nothing new, is it?" Severus said sullenly.

Pomona eyed him, worried. "Severus, you will be fine."

"Sure," Severus said, not convinced. He was relieved when the fireplace flared again and distracted Pomona.

"Ron! Hermione!" Harry screamed, excited, and went over to his friends. He stopped only inches in front of Ron. He had to look up to see the face of his friend. With his mouth hanging open, he stared at the red-head and did not even notice when Remus and Charlie stepped out of the fireplace behind Ron and Hermione.

Ron looked down at Harry and did not know what to say, so Hermione broke the silence. "We are so relieved that you are okay, Harry." She hugged him and did not care that Harry hardly reached her shoulder.

"I'm a dwarf," Harry said sadly, still in Hermione's tight embrace.

"You are not," Hermione said when she stepped back. "You are healthy. That's important." She smiled at Harry and the boy relaxed.

Harry looked back at Ron. He was very tall, and Harry only reached his chest. Sadly, he looked at his best friend. How could they be friends now? Harry felt like a little baby compared to Ron.

"Hey, mate," Ron said uncertainly.

"Hey," Harry said shyly. A hand was placed on his shoulder, and Harry turned around.

Remus smiled down at the tiny black-haired boy. "Hello, Harry."

Harry smiled. "Remus!" He threw himself at the werewolf and hugged him tightly.

"Hey, cub," Remus said, smiling, and hugged the teen closely. "How are you?"

"I'm better now. I wanted to see you!" Harry said, not loosening his grip.

Remus chuckled. "I wanted to see you as well, but you were already asleep when I came to check on you yesterday."

Harry stepped backwards and grinned happily at his old friend. When he saw Charlie beside him, he smiled at him. "Hi, Charlie!"

"Hey, Harry!" Charlie said trying to smile, but his worry for Severus was nagging at him. His friend had left the room the moment they had stepped through the fireplace.

"Why don't you three go into your room, Harry? I'm sure you have a lot to talk about," Remus said cheerfully. He had also seen Severus flee from the room, and he hoped it had been Ron and Hermione who made him feel uncomfortable and not him. They had become friendly over the last year, but Poppy had said that some memories would be suppressed, and so he feared Severus would only remember their bad times now. All the effort to get Severus to trust him might have been in vain.

When the three teens had left, the adults were standing around, a bit helpless.

"I will check on Severus," Charlie said and vanished into the hall that led to the bedrooms and the bathroom. After checking Severus' room, Charlie went for the bathroom. "Severus? Are you in there?"

"Are you alone?" a fearful voice asked back.

"Yes, let me in," Charlie pleaded.

Shuffling, a click, and then more shuffling was heard through the door. Charlie looked around, puzzled, when he entered the bathroom and did not see Severus immediately. Finally, he spotted him huddled up under the sink. "What's wrong, Severus?"

"I don't want to go to school," Severus stated.

Charlie sighed and sat down on the toilet. "Any chance that you'll come out from under there and speak to me normally?"

When no answer came, Charlie crouched down under the sink as well. It was uncomfortable, but he could sit under it. "Come on, Sev. What's so bad about it?"

"Everything. All the students, Remus, Pomona...everyone," Severus said miserably.

"Me?" Charlie asked.

Severus looked sideways at his friend but did not say anything.

"We are still friends, Sev. All the teachers and I will keep an eye on you. We will act if someone bullies you," Charlie said, knowing from Kingsley that that was Severus' biggest fear. "Remus will not bully you. He was worried about you when we were informed about the accident."

"I hate it all," Severus said, determined.

"But you can't change it. You have to try to make the best out of it," Charlie said. "We are still friends."

"I'm a kid now," Severus protested.

"I don't care. Of course, I would prefer to have the old Sev back, but not the depressed and withdrawn one from the last months. I prefer to have this younger you than the depressed you."

"I'm depressed now, too," Severus said sullenly.

"No, you are just scared and frustrated," Charlie stated. "Come on; let's go back to the living room. The others will worry if we don't come back."

"Are they gone?" Severus asked.

"Who?"

"They!"

"Severus!"

Sigh. "Ms. Granger and Mr. Weasley."

"Severus, there is no need to call them by their family names any longer. It's Hermione and Ron. Come on, try it."

Severus glared at Charlie.

"I mean it. Try to say it," Charlie said.

"Why?"

"Because it is the first step to coming out from under the sink," Charlie explained.

Severus groaned, realizing how childish this hiding was. "Hermione and Ron," he mumbled.

"Great. It wasn't so bad, was it?"

"Yes, it was," Severus said grumpily.

"Ah, my grumpy friend is back," Charlie said.

"Little grumpy Severus," Severus said, melancholic.

"You aren't little. You are at least one head taller than Harry," Charlie said to lift the mood. "You know what? Now Kingsley and I can try to get you into flying and Quidditch." He grinned at Severus, who rolled his eyes. "Come on, let go back," Charlie said, pulling Severus out from under the sink.

"But Remus-" Severus protested.

"-Is your Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher and you have to face him sooner or later," Charlie ended Severus' sentence.

Severus groaned and looked pleadingly at Charlie. "No puppy looks, Sev," Charlie said, amused. He was really starting to enjoy being the older one in their friendship.

"Shouldn't we check on them?" Pomona asked, worried.

"Give Charlie a bit more time. I'm certain they are sorting out how their friendship will work," Albus said patiently.

A few minutes later, Charlie entered the living room and Severus patted in behind him, his head down.

Severus sat between Minerva and Poppy and did not lift his head. He did not know where Remus sat, so he did not want to risk looking at him by accident.

"You didn't have the chance to greet Remus, Severus." Albus destroyed Severus' plan of avoiding the werewolf.

"Hi...Re-Professor Lupin," Severus said between gritted teeth.

"It's still Remus, Severus. I thought we had resolved our disputes amicably?" Remus said calmly.

Severus shrugged his shoulders, but did not look up.

Albus sighed. "Maybe it's best if you two have a talk in private after this meeting."

Severus looked up at the headmaster. "You cannot avoid looking at Remus in classes," Albus said patiently.

Severus glared at the old man and jumped when Poppy laid her hand on his leg. "Severus, Remus and you came to an agreement last year. This hasn't changed, has it, Remus?"

"Of course not," Remus assured. "I think it is a good idea for us to talk in private after the meeting."

"Hmm."

"I will take that as a 'yes,'" Albus said, twinkling. "Let's start the meeting then. Severus, we are here to settle all of the questions you might have and discuss a re-Sorting."

"Re-Sorting? You said there wouldn't be a re-Sorting," Severus said, puzzled.

"I had a discussion with your Healers this morning, and they suggested that it would be good to discuss a re-Sorting with you," Albus said, eying Severus closely.

Severus felt relieved. He was very apprehensive about spending time in Slytherin and in the dungeons. He could not say why. If he had the chance to be resorted, maybe he would not land in the snake's pitch again.

"So what do you think about a re-Sorting?" Albus asked, already knowing the answer because the boy did not have the abilities of his older self to mask his emotions.

Severus bit his bottom lip nervously. "I think I would like to try the Sorting Hat again."

"That's a good idea, Severus, even though Filius would love to have you in Slytherin," Minerva said friendly.

"Filius?" Severus asked, puzzled, and looked around for the small wizard.

"Yes, we had to make some changes. I took over Slytherin and Remus took over Gryffindor. Minerva is quite occupied with her duties as Deputy Headmistress and with her responsibility for the home schooled children as well. She is sharing the duties of Head of Ravenclaw House with Charlie," Filius explained, grinning at the dumbfounded Severus.

All that Severus could say to this was, "Oh."

"I think it is best when we re-Sort you before breakfast tomorrow in the Great Hall so the students can see which house you are Sorted into," Albus suggested.

Mentioning the students made Severus' stomach twist again. He looked down at his hands and almost bit through his bottom lip.

"Severus, please stop that," Poppy said and lifted Severus' chin. It hurt her to see Severus so worried. They had thought about homeschooling Severus, but they wanted the boys to learn together, and they could not hide from the rest of the students forever. Homeschooling would not be as helpful to them as taking part in classes. They needed the social interaction.

"What do you think will happen that makes you so nervous about going to school again, Severus?" Albus asked.

"Everything."

Albus raised an eyebrow.

Severus groaned. "They will hate me. No," he said to stop the adults' protests, "I know that you want to say that they won't do so and that you all will look out for me, but you cannot be everywhere. Besides, being the pet of the teachers will not help," Severus said, agitated.

"Severus, you will hardly be our pet," Minerva said. "Of course, there may be a few students who will mock you, but there won't be bullying like the first time. Now that we know the extent of the bullying, we are all sorry for not intervening earlier. This won't happen again. I promise you that," Minerva said, determined.

"Severus, you can come to any of us if there is a problem, and we will solve it. You will be okay," Filius said as softly as his squeaking voice allowed.

"You know that I'm sorry for what happened during our school days. You remember that we spoke about it?" Remus asked carefully.

"Yes, I do," Severus replied.

Remus sighed, relieved. "It only went so far because nobody beside Minerva tried to stop us and you didn't open up to anyone about how bad our bullying was. It won't happen again. We have already spoken with all the houses about what happened, and we have made it very clear that we will punish any kind of bullying against you or Harry."

"I don't want you all to intercede on my behalf. This is embarrassing," Severus said.

"It isn't, Severus," Albus said. "You and Harry are in a difficult situation, and you need all the support you can get."

Severus did not know what to think. He hated being left alone with the problems that could arise, but he also did not want to look like a squealer.

"We won't look away, Severus. Nothing you could say will stop us from watching out for you and Harry," said Albus. "Are there other questions or worries we should discuss?"

Severus shook his head.

"Are you sure?" Poppy prodded.

"Yes" Severus announced.

"Would you like to talk in your room with Remus or would you prefer if we left so you can use the living room?" Albus asked.

Severus shrugged his shoulders. "My room is fine." Shyly, he looked over to Remus, who smiled at him reassuringly.

"Then off you go, my boys," Albus instructed, the famous twinkle prominent in his eyes.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2078