The Final Breeze 2 by grugster
Summary: That's the sequel to "The Final Breeze". Harry and Severus aren't coping well with their life after Voldemorts defeat. Then a potion accident turns their life upwards down because Harry is turned twelve and Severus thirteen.
Categories: Big Brother Snape Main Characters: Arthur, Charlie, Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Neville, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, .Snape and Harry (required), Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Romance/Slash, Self-harm, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: The Final Breeze
Chapters: 45 Completed: Yes Word count: 130841 Read: 202410 Published: 06 Feb 2010 Updated: 19 May 2012
Chapter 13 – The Sorting by grugster

-II-

"How are you, Severus?" Poppy asked while she and Alastor sat down on Severus' bed.

"Fine," Severus said shortly.

"You don't look it," Alastor stated. "Still worried about tomorrow?"

"Yes," Severus said. "And..." He sighed.

"What is it, my boy?" Alastor asked while Poppy stroked Severus's hair.

"It's so dark and cold," Severus said, staring at the ceiling.

"What is dark and cold, Severus?" Poppy asked, worried that he was speaking about how he felt inwardly.

"My room," Severus said sadly.

"You liked it like this as an adult, Severus. We can change it tomorrow. Do you want a bigger window and some warm colors on the walls?" Alastor asked.

Severus nodded and looked hopefully at Alastor. "Then we will change it tomorrow. How about you sleep in Harry's room again tonight?" Alastor offered. Severus' face lit up.

"I would say that was a 'yes,' Alastor," Poppy said, chuckling. It was so good to see the young Severus not hiding his emotions behind a mask.

-II-

Before Severus could slip through the bathroom door, a big hand closed it in front of his face. "This is the sixth time you are using the loo this morning, Severus. I think that's enough. Now come; we need to go down for breakfast."

"But I really need-"

"Severus, you are just nervous. Poppy is waiting with you potion in the kitchen. Come now," Alastor said and stirred his reluctant son into the direction of the kitchen.

"I don't know, I think I don't feel well. Maybe I should stay in bed," Severus whined while they entered the kitchen.

"You are just nervous, Severus. Everything will be fine," Poppy affirmed seriously. "Remember, I already cast the diagnostic spell this morning. Do you want me to cast it again?"

"No," Severus said grumpily. He took the hated vial Poppy gave him and opened it. Crinkling his nose at the smell, he pushed it away from his face.

"Oh, I lost my emergency watch," Poppy said, stressed.

"Calm down. We will find it. Go check the living room, and I'll check the bathroom and the bedroom. Don't forget you are a witch, Poppy," Alastor said, amused that his wife was as nervous as the boys were.

The moment the adults had left the room, Severus strode to the sink and poured the hated nutrient potion down the sink.

"Severus, are you crazy?" Harry asked, shocked, and looked from Severus to the door and back. "They will kill you if they find out."

"Then don't tell them. We need to stick together or our life here will be a living hell," Severus said to convince his brother to back him.

"You need that potion, Severus. I don't think it's a good idea to flush it down the sink. I mean, have you seen yourself in a mirror?"

"I have, if you have to know! I will eat a bit more for breakfast; that's all. I don't need this stupid potion. I would like to see you try to get that thick stuff down your throat," Severus exclaimed sullenly and placed the vial on the kitchen table.

"We are ready, boys. Come, we're already late," Alastor said when he stuck his head into the kitchen.

Groaning, both boys took their school bags and left the quarters with Alastor and Poppy. The way to the Great Hall was horrible. Harry had the feeling he had to make four steps when everyone else just made one, and he was exhausted halfway to the Great Hall.

Severus tried not to look up at all. He could feel the stares from the students on him, and he could hear whispers.

"Severus, you can't look at the ground the whole time you are around your schoolmates," Poppy scolded.

"Last year they were my students," Severus said sullenly.

"But now they aren't, Severus. You need to be a bit open and friendly to make new friends," Poppy urged.

"Sure," Severus said sarcastically.

"I'm serious, Severus," Poppy said sternly.

"I don't need friends," Severus stated angrily.

"Everyone needs friend, Severus," Alastor said.

"As if anyone would like to be friends with me," Severus mumbled.

"I want to be friends with you," Harry said and laid his hand on Severus shoulder.

"Yes, that's because you are insane," Severus stated dryly. "Ow," he protested when Alastor gave him a cuff on the back of his head.

"Watch your mouth, lad. Your brother is just trying to help," Alastor said.

The conversation ended because they finally reached the Great Hall. All the noise died down when they entered and only muffled comments could be heard. Severus wished the ground would open up and swallow him. His brother looked around, more interested and waved to Ron and Hermione when they passed them.

"Cheer up, Sev," Hagrid said and almost bruised Severus' shoulder when he patted it.

"How would you feel if you were being led to the gallows?" Severus asked and looked up for the first time since they had left the quarters. They stood in front of the teachers' table. McGonagall was fumbling with the old hat that would seal his fate in a few minutes. Why did I tell them I want to be re-Sorted? All of the Death Eaters' children are out of school at the moment and are only allowed back if they are deemed safe and if they want to come back. Oh Merlin, what if this hat wants to repay me for all the times I insulted it? What if it places me in Gryffindor? He was so deep in thought that he didn't notice that he now stood only with Albus and Minerva in front of the head table. Harry had sat down with his friends, and Poppy, Alastor, and Hagrid had sat down at the teachers' table.

When Severus finally noticed that all the people he felt safe with were gone, he paled. He stepped backwards and almost cracked his head on the teachers' table. Only Albus' quick reaction stopped him from falling. Severus clung to the arm that was holding him even after he stood steadily again. "Calm down, Severus," Albus said. "You will be okay."

Oh, great, Snape, just show them what a freak you are and how quick they can make you cry, Severus thought desperately and looked scared to the house tables. He awaited snickers from the students for his behavior, but there were none. Most of them looked puzzled, and some were even worried. Severus did not dare to look at the Gryffindor table. He would have looked at Harry to see at least one friendly and encouraging face, but he did not dare to look at the other Gryffindors.

"Come on, Severus. Let's Sort you, and then you can go and eat with your house," Minerva said encouragingly. A voice deep in his mind said that she was speaking to him like a small child, but he ignored it and took as much comfort out of her words and her touch on his shoulder as he could. He jerked when Dumbledore addressed the students.

"As your Heads of House have already explained to you, young Harry will remain in Gryffindor. Severus, on the other hand, has not been a student for a while and his life has changed a lot, so we all thought it would be best to let the Sorting Hat decide which house he belongs in now."

Please not Gryffindor, Severus thought and his mouth went very dry.

"I would also like to remind you all that it will not be easy for these two students to accept and live their new lives, and I hope that all of you will threat them kindly and help them whenever you can." Dumbledore threw a warning glance over to the table clad in red. Yes, the Gryffindors did not look very friendly, and Albus hoped Harry could make them see sense.

Severus hands started to shake, and Minerva threw a glance at Albus to hurry. The old man got the clue and announced, "So, Professor McGonagall, please start with the Sorting."

Severus' hands shook visibly, and he did not dare to look at the students any more. He pressed his hands between his knees. Then everything went black.

"Here you are again," the hat said.

I'm sorry. I really am. I didn't mean what I said about you. Please don't put me in Gryffindor, Severus said in his mind.

"Hmm," the Sorting Hat said thoughtfully. "But Gryffindor would match you very well. You are very brave and loyal."

Oh, please no. I said I'm sorry.

"So not Gryffindor?" the Hat said, ignoring Severus apologies completely.

Please, not Gryffindor. They will kill me.

"I don't think so. You should calm down, or you might black out soon. So where else could I send you? Your old house? No, sorry, but you don't fit there anymore, even though you are still quite cunning. What about Hufflepuff?"

Severus crinkled his nose. That's the loser house, but it is still better than Gryffindor.

"I think Helga will have a word with you soon for this thought. Everything I hear and say is heard and spoken by the Founders."

Severus' face fell. He had an assumption that the souls of the Four Founders were influencing the Hat. They also had paintings all over the castle, so there was no doubt that Helga Hufflepuff would find him.

The Hat chuckled, amused, but noticed gladly that the boy stopped shaking like a leaf. "So, I think I have found your house, Severus Snape."

Oh great, it's Hufflepuff for me, Severus thought miserably.

"RAVENCLAW!" the hat announced loudly.

Severus had to blink a few times against the brightness. How long have I been under? Then the cheers from Ravenclaw broke out, and Severus looked puzzled at Minerva.

"It seems your classmates are looking forward to having you in their house, Severus. I'm also very glad that I am your Head of House this time," Minerva stated, smiling friendly down at him.

Still puzzled as to why they were smiling and waving at him, he stumbled over to the Ravenclaw table. A brown-haired girl made room for him to sit down, and he racked his brain for her name.

"Sit down, Pro-ehm, Severus," the girl said. "Do you remember my name?"

Severus concentrated hard and then said shyly, "Miss Block."

"You won't call us by our family names, right? It's awkward," Miss Block protested.

Severus blushed. "I don't know your first name."

"I'm Alicia Marie, but Alicia is enough." She beamed at him and offered her hand.

"Ehm... Severus. My name, I mean..."

"I got it the first time, Severus." Alicia laughed. It was a friendly laugh.

"I'm Oliver. I was very good in your class last year!" a black colored boy, who said opposite of Severus, stated proudly.

"Oliver?" Severus said deep in thought and tried to remember the boy. A picture of an overeager boy with his tongue permanently stuck between his lips in concentration came into his mind. "Oliver Stone."

"Right," Oliver said, excited that his favorite teacher could remember him. Professor Weasley and Professor McGonagall had explained that Professor Snape had lost a lot of memories and would have trouble remembering certain things. They all knew from the newspaper and later from Professor Dumbledore that Professor Snape had been seriously injured by Voldemort and that he had lost almost all his magic. Professor McGonagall had explained to them yesterday that Severus might have a lot of trouble learning because his magic core was damaged by Voldemort but that it was also possible that he would manage to learn everything new now that he was younger.

"Err...Professor!" Anthony Goldstein called.

"I'm no longer a professor," Severus stated sadly and got some strange looks from his classmates. The young Severus really was different from the adult Professor Snape.

"Of course, sorry, Severus. I'm Anthony, your prefect. Professor McGonagall gave me your timetable. If you have any questions, you can come to me after you eat breakfast. I was asked to keep an eye on you for eating what your schedule calls." Anthony shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other. He definitely did not like that he was given that task.

"We can keep an eye on him, Anthony. You are drawing more attention than Severus would want by standing behind him like a vulture," a sixth-year girl, who sat across from Severus, said and smiled at Severus. She also had a prefect badge on her robe.

"Okay. So I see you later, Pro-Severus," Anthony said and left for his seat at the other end of the table.

"Relax, Severus," Amy, the sixth year, said.

"Yes, it is way too sunny today for such a gloomy face. You will provoke the Spenterlies to come out," Luna Lovegood said.

Snickers were to be heard all over the table. The Ravenclaws were used to comments like this, but Severus' shocked face was extraordinary.

"There is no such thing as Spenterlies, Severus. You don't have to worry," Alicia whispered in his ear.

"I know," Severus said, embarrassed. "I wasn't scared, just surprised at her comment."

"Of course," Alicia said, amused.

"It's the truth, I swear!"

More snickers. "She is just teasing you, Severus," Amy explained to get Severus out of the situation. She looked at her classmates. "Enough now. We need to eat or we won't be finished before classes starts."

Severus glared at Alicia, but the girl just snickered and was not impressed. "That glare was more frightening when you were a teacher."

Severus groaned. He looked at his plate and groaned even more. He threw a short glance at Poppy, who looked back at him to show that she was watching. Unhappily, he poked at the egg on his plate and glared at the two rolls.

"They won't catch fire, Severus. You should eat; that's the only way to make them disappear," Amy said friendly, but Severus heard the warning tone.

"If I had my magic back, I could Vanish them," Severus muttered but started eating anyway. He did not see the worried glances his housemates were exchanging. While he gnawed on his roll, he looked over his timetable.

Monday:

Potions with Hufflepuff

Transfiguration with Gryffindor

Care of Magical Creatures with Gryffindor

Magical Creatures? Since when do we teach that in second year? Severus wondered. It seems I have missed a lot in the last months.

Tuesday:

Charms with Gryffindor

Herbology with Slytherin

Care of Magical Creatures with Gryffindor

Care of Magical Creature twice? That once was an elective subject and now we are forced to have it two times a week, double class periods? All other regular classes were double classes, but not an elective subject-or rather, a former elective subject.

Wednesday:

Defense Against the Dark Arts with Slytherin

Transfiguration with Gryffindor

History of Magic with Hufflepuff

Thursday:

Potions with Hufflepuff

Astronomy with Gryffindor

Herbology with Slytherin

Friday:

Charms with Gryffindor

Defense Against the Dark Arts with Slytherin

Free period

Severus groaned. Was my schedule so packed the first time? At least I have a short Friday.

"Severus, we need to go in five minutes. You need to hurry," Alicia said worriedly while looking at Severus' plate. There was still one roll on it.

Severus threw a short glance at the head table and let the roll vanish under the table.

"I don't think so," Amy said, and another roll appeared on his plate. "Don't glare at me. I don't think you want to cause a scene. Professor Moody is glaring a hole in your back right now."

Severus carefully turned and realized that Amy was right. Sighing, he grabbed the roll and ate it without anything on it.

The End.
End Notes:
So what do you think about the decision of the hat? And do you like Severus' new classmates? Please let me know!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2078