The Final Breeze 2 by grugster
Summary: That's the sequel to "The Final Breeze". Harry and Severus aren't coping well with their life after Voldemorts defeat. Then a potion accident turns their life upwards down because Harry is turned twelve and Severus thirteen.
Categories: Big Brother Snape Main Characters: Arthur, Charlie, Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Neville, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, .Snape and Harry (required), Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Romance/Slash, Self-harm, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: The Final Breeze
Chapters: 45 Completed: Yes Word count: 130841 Read: 202437 Published: 06 Feb 2010 Updated: 19 May 2012
Chapter 40 – Dueling by grugster

-II

"Time for your potion, Harry," Poppy said and went to fetch it.

To Severus' horror, she came back with two spoons and two vials.

"Why do I have to take it? I don't feel ill." Severus looked pleadingly at Alastor, who had taken his potion from Poppy and was measuring out a spoonful.

"You have to take it so you won't catch the virus from Harry."

"I hardly get ill with colds."

"You are twelve now, Severus. Open up," Alastor instructed.

His face screwed, Severus obeyed. The next few days would be terrible, Severus was sure about that.

-II-

"Severus already knows me and the rest of the family beside the kids, but as you don't know us, I will introduce you properly," Alexander told Harry when they stood in the middle of the big Manson's living room. It was not as cozy as their quarters at Hogwarts, but rather sporadically furnished. Everything seemed to be more than clean and organized. Severus was sure the woman of the house would know in an instant if even the smallest thing was moved. "I'm Alexander, Alastor's oldest brother, and this is my wife Marianne." He pointed at the thin woman who reminded Harry of Aunt Petunia.

"This is my son, Joren, with his wife, Lea, and their children, Victor, Marek, and Joanna." Joren was a tall man with harsh features, dark hair, and a mustache. His wife was a blond woman, and his children seem to be around twelve, nine, and five. Victor looked curiously at Harry and Severus. Something about his look just screamed trouble.

"Over there is our younger brother, Rupert." It was funny that Alexander called him younger because he looked the same age as Alexander and Alastor. He did not say what age difference was between them, and Severus could not remember. Alastor always seemed older due to his scars and wooden leg, but Rupert also looked old. "The young man beside him is his son, Theodore, his wife, Alexandra, and their son, Jegor." At least Theodore did not look so stern, but his wife had a calculating look on her face. Even the toddler in her arms looked stern. Severus would have liked to run away, and a look at Harry showed that he had the same opinion.

"I hope you are hungry," Marianne said kindly. Severus sighed, relieved. She at least seemed to be somewhat friendly. Now he remembered her as a warm-hearted woman. Sometimethelookdoesn'tmatchthecharacter.

Severus had been relived that Poppy allowed him to drink his nutrient potion after the meal in his room so he would not attract the curiosity of the children. At Charlotte's house, Poppy's oldest sister, he would not have that privilege. Severus shuddered as he thought about what would await him there. He scratched his arm. Floo powder often made him itchy, but today was especially bad.

"Severus," Alastor said warningly when he pushed his beans from one side to the other for the third time without eating anything.

Severus' head snapped up, and seeing the stern expression of his adoptive father, he said, "I'm still full from breakfast."

Before Alastor could reply, Alexandra put in her two Knuts worth. "Shouldn't he be taking nutrient potions? He looks anorexic." This, coming from the thin Alexandra, was a joke. Okay, she was not as boney as him, but still very thin.

Severus gulped and lost his appetite completely. The food had not been to his taste, and so he had become full quite soon, but now he felt sick. All eyes were on him.

"I can assure you that Severus' health is being watched well," Poppy said stiffly.

"I just mean it is obvious that he has a problem with eating. Forcing him to eat will make him start to hate eating, and then he might refuse all his food. I read a book about children having problems like this."

Poppy took a breath and opened her mouth to protest, but Alastor placed a hand over hers and said, "Severus is quite capable of eating, and forcing him to eat does not make him refuse food. Nutrient potions only help people to maintain their current weight and cannot make a person gain weight. Severus is well aware of that and knows how important it is to eat."

"It doesn't seem to me as if he really understands. Forcing him to eat is wrong. Children know exactly how much they have to eat. Their bodies tell them that. Your method is very old-fashioned and could be harming him. I can give you the book I-"

"Alexandra," Theodore said and laid his hand over hers, but she snatched it back and glared angrily at him.

"What? I can't just sit here and watch how this boy is being mistreated. This can have lasting and traumatic effects."

Severus felt sick. He wanted nothing more than to run to the fireplace and go back home. Poppy was fuming, and he could see she was close to explosion. Alastor's attempts to calm her were not working.

"You dare to say we mistreat him? I've been a Mediwitch for over forty years."

"Methods change over the years. Forcing children to eat is wrong."

"Alexandra, I really think you should stop. Poppy will know what's good for Severus. I don't think your education books can compare with her experience as a Mediwitch," Theodore tried to convince his wife.

"He is all bones and skin, Theo. It is clear their treatment isn't working well on him. I'm just trying to help. Look, the other boy isn't eating much as well. I already told you that forcing children to eat is wrong."

"Come on, kids, let's go to the bathroom," Marianne said and ushered her grandchildren out of the room after throwing a pitiful look at Severus.

Poppy and Alastor were hissing at each other, but the Privacy Spell Alastor had placed over them made it impossible to hear what they were saying. Severus did not need a magical eye to see that Poppy was very close to hexing Alexandra.

"As your father doesn't seem to feel the urge to intervene, I ask you to get control of your wife, Theodore. Otherwise I need to ask you to leave. She will not insult Alastor's family," Alexander said with a growl.

"I'm sorry," Severus said, tears running over his cheeks as he forked some beans in his mouth, but the speed made him start to choke. To his horror, Severus realized his meal would come back up on the table if he did not find a bathroom soon, so he stood up and ran. He ran into Marianne in the hall and then it was too late. The meal came up again.

Marianne was an experienced mother and grandmother and quickly conjured a bucket. She helped Severus to hold his hair out of his face as he choked. Severus could not see anything or concentrate on anything, but he heard Marianne say, "Alastor, could you please take the children to the play room?"

When Severus finally looked up, he saw Poppy kneeling in front of him. To his embarrassment, she took the bucket and examined the contents before Vanishing it. Then she thanked Marianne and helped Severus up.

"Please forgive Alexandra. She is...well...different and bossy. You know how those young mothers are. Always reading one book after the other and then they think they know everything. Of course you know best how to treat your boys. Don't let her upset you."

"We wanted a nice Christmas holiday for the boys, Marianne. It's hard enough for them with what happened in the last months and now this, but I know that it was not your opinion Alexandra was giving us."

"I will go and speak with her. I just wanted the kids out of this. Or do you need my help?"

"No, I think the boys will both do well having a nap now. Thank you."

Severus did not care that he needed to have a nap, he just wanted away from all those prying eyes and especially from that horrible woman, Alexandra. At least Alexander and Marianne had made it clear about which side they stood.

After the nap, Alastor sat down on Severus' bed and the boy gulped nervously. "Severus, what's going on?"

"I don't know what you mean."

"I mean that you normally aren't so skittish or make yourself sick just because someone says something about you."

"I was just ill from the food. I didn't like it much."

"I know that Marianne's cooking is different from what you are used to, but you didn't look ill before all the talk started. You looked as if you didn't have any appetite, but you didn't look sick."

Severus looked down.

"Do you want to talk privately?"

Severus threw a look over to Poppy and Harry. Poppy was applying some mucus cream on Harry's chest. Shaking his head, Severus said, "No, I...I don't know, I think I'm just...nervous."

"Nervous about what?"

"I don't want to get in trouble again, but you know how strict your brothers are. And that Alexandra also looks very stern and unfriendly."

"You are twelve, Severus. It's normal to get into trouble. It would be nice if it wasn't always such dangerous trouble."

Severus screwed his face.

"My relatives are not generals or monsters, Severus. I don't know what you remember about them that makes you so scared of them. They were looking forward to meeting you again. They have been nagging us to bring you over for Christmas ever since you started living with us."

"But lunch was a disaster."

"Yes, maybe, but it was just one person, and people make mistakes. That doesn't mean you need to be scared the whole time we are here."

"I know."

Alastor sighed. "Maybe a round of curling will change your mood." He looked over to Poppy. "Can Harry join us on the ice?"

"Yes, his condition is okay. We just have to take care that he doesn't overdo it." Poppy helped Harry to dress so the mucus cream would not rub off.

Twenty minutes later, they were on the big lake only a short distance away from the main house.

"Have you two ever played curling?" Victor asked.

Harry and Severus shook their heads. The rules were quickly explained, and Harry and Severus started to relax as it seemed nobody was affected negatively by the scene during lunch. Theodore, Victor, Marek, Harry, and Severus were building one group. The Moody brothers plus Joren and the woman built the other group. Only Alexandra did not play because she insisted on checking little Jegor's hands every two minutes. She tried to distract Theodore several times, asking him if he thought Jegor's hands or ears were too cold. Harry and Severus wondered how the toddler could get cold at all. They could hardly see any part of him because he was wrapped in so many clothes and blankets. They would not worry about him being cold, but rather being suffocated.

Theodore did not let himself be distracted and had a great time. After more annoying comments from his wife, he went over to her and hissed something at her. No one understood because they spoke in Russian, and she left, nagging loudly. From then on, the curling was great. Severus and Harry laughed with the others at Victor's showing-off.

Supper went well as Severus avoided behaving strangely and ate a lot. He was very hungry. The snacks Marianne had insisted on feeding him and Harry during the curling had been tasty, but all the fresh air and the sport had made both boys very hungry. Alexandra seemed to still be angry with her husband and did not take part in the conversation at the table, much to Severus' relief.

After supper, they were sent to the play room. It was a big room with all kind of toys. Marek went to play with his little sister, but Victor seemed to have other ideas. "Too bad you two had to be sick. Grandfather planned to spend the time after lunch with us in the dueling room." His tone was accusing, but Harry just rolled his eyes when Severus looked in his direction.

Victor did not see their reaction because he was peeking outside into the hall. "Come on, they will be occupied in the living room, drinking. We can go down to the dueling room now."

That comment and Victor's odd behavior should have been enough reason for Severus and Harry to be alarmed, but the good mood they were in after the fun afternoon outside made them ignorant. Soon, they reached the heavy door in the cellar and Victor pulled his wand out.

"Are you crazy? What if the Ministry finds out you used magic?"

Victor looked arrogantly at Harry. "My grandfather has so many wards on his mansion that they can't detect my magic through it. Don't be such a chicken." After a wave of his wand and a click from the lock, Victor looked triumphantly at them. "Come in!"

The room was amazing. At least Harry was fascinated. Severus was just nervous and hated himself for being such a ninny. Since when was he so scared about getting in trouble?

"Come on, let's have a duel," Victor said, excited.

When Harry stepped in the direction of the long dueling stage, Severus said, "I don't think that's a good idea, Harry. You are ill. You could get hurt."

"Youcouldgethurt," Victor said theatrically. "What is he, your mother?"

"No, he isn't, but he is right. Poppy will find out if I'm exhausted this evening."

"Merlin, and I thought this Christmas would be a cool one for once. Who knew you two were such cowards and weaklings?"

Severus was over by Victor instantly. "You will not call us weaklings, you snooty-nosed little upstart." He grabbed Victor by the front of his robes and glared at him.

"I'm a wizard and not a boor who fights with his fists," Victor stated. Severus realized his mistake too late when he felt a wand poke at his stomach and hot pain shoot through his body.

"What have you done to him?" Harry screamed when Severus fell down on the floor and hugged his torso.

"Just a stomach cramp spell. That will teach him not to touch me again. So, are you at least man enough for a duel?"

"If you think I-" Harry did not get the chance to continue because Severus had uncurled and shot a hex in Victor's direction. The hex missed him.

"Pathetic, just as I thought. Just bones and skin, but you tried to attack me physically, and then when you finally realize that you're a wizard, you send such a pathetic hex. Your father is the greatest Auror of the age; he must be disgusted to have such weaklings as his sons. If he had known how pathetic you are, he wouldn't have adopted you."

Severus, raised his wand again, ignoring Harry's protest, but before the hex left his lips his wand was flying through the room. When he followed its path, he froze. In the doorway stood a furious Alexander holding Severus' wand. "Victor, you will go to my study."

Victor did not look so arrogant anymore; no, he looked scared.

Severus was close to wetting himself. Alexander was a dangerous man; that he could remember. He had been in a special elite group in France for many years, and then he had started to work for a spell development agency. He was an expert on Dark magic and Defense Against the Dark Arts. To top it all off, he was one of the top wizards in the European Dueling Club.

"Are you hurt?" Alexander asked, trying to calm down.

"Victor cast some kind of stomach cramp hex on him. At least that's what he said," Harry explained as Severus seemed to be in some kind of shock. Alexander stepped closer with his wand in hand, but stopped when Severus fearfully crawled away from him. A wave of his wand and a Hawk Patronus flew through the now closed door into the hall.

"I just want to check if that really was the hex he used, Severus," Alexander said and held his hands up.

"I...I'm fine," Severus stuttered and then closed his eyes. He hated himself for proving Victor right. He was a weakling, a scared weakling.

"I would like to check that myself, Severus. My grandson is the best dueler at his school."

Shame made Severus' cheek glow. And what was he? Alastor really must be disgusted.

"Severus?" Alexander asked, seeing that the boy zoned out.

"I'm really fine. I-"

The door was opened with so much force that it bounced back off the wall. "What happened?"

Severus wished the ground would open and swallow him. Alastor's magical eye roamed over him, Harry, and the room.

"He didn't let me check him. You should do it. See if there was more than a stomach cramp hex sent at him," Alexander explained.

Alastor was over at Severus in a second and waved his wand over him. "It was just the cramp hex." It was a dismissal, and the two brothers knew it well enough. So Alexander left.

"What in Merlin's name are you doing here?" Alastor asked.

"I'm sorry," Severus said miserably.

Alastor rolled his eyes. "I didn't ask you to be sorry; I asked what you were doing here."

"Victor showed us this room, and then he wanted us to duel with him, but Severus held me up, saying it wouldn't be good as I'm sick. Then Victor started to insult us."

"And how did your brother end up down on the floor with a stomach cramp hex on him?" Alastor asked and looked sternly at Harry.

Harry gulped and was glad when Severus found his voice again. "I grabbed him because he said something...and then he hexed me."

"You had not drawn your wand?"

"No, but I did later and now Alexander has my wand."

"So you hexed him back?"

Severus blushed. "I tried, but I failed."

"And you are sorry that you failed?" Alastor gave Severus a smack on the back of his head. "Be happy that you missed him. What did you aim at him?"

Severus blushed even more.

"Severus," Alastor said warningly.

"A...Jelly Legs Jinx." It was so embarrassing. Victor had attacked him with a real dueling hex, and he had tried to hex him with such a child's spell.

Alastor smirked. "My sweet, innocent son. I'm glad you didn't stoop to what Victor did. Spells like that stomach cramp hex should not be fired outside a real duel. I'm proud of you for not being so low."

Severus was stunned. He had expected the worst, but not that.

"Still, you snuck into this room and let Victor goad you into firing hexes. Early bedtime for both of you, I would say. So up and into your room. I will go get Poppy."

Severus grabbed Alastor's arm before he thought about it. "Don't tell her."

Alastor raised an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

Severus looked down, knowing how stupid that had been. Alastor would always tell Poppy about something like this. "Nothing."

"I thought so. I want you to be ready for bed when I come to you with Poppy."

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2078