The Final Breeze 2 by grugster
Summary: That's the sequel to "The Final Breeze". Harry and Severus aren't coping well with their life after Voldemorts defeat. Then a potion accident turns their life upwards down because Harry is turned twelve and Severus thirteen.
Categories: Big Brother Snape Main Characters: Arthur, Charlie, Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, McGonagall, Molly, Neville, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, .Snape and Harry (required), Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Romance/Slash, Self-harm, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: The Final Breeze
Chapters: 45 Completed: Yes Word count: 130841 Read: 202429 Published: 06 Feb 2010 Updated: 19 May 2012
Chapter 8 – Harry's Examination by grugster

-II-

Harry was not convinced and just shook his head against Alastor's chest. At least the calming circles Alastor drew on his back were soothing.

Severus whined in protest, big brother or not, when James bent his arm away from his body so that Healer Meyers could numb the spot where she wanted to put the syringe in with the salve.

"Come on, Severus. It will be over in a minute. Please try to relax," Maria said, but Severus was way too scared to relax. Maria shook her head, frustrated, and James sent more Calming Magic to Severus. The moment he stopped, Maria put the syringe in Severus' arm.

Severus flinched. It really was just a small sting and an uncomfortable pressure. "That's my boy," Poppy said calmingly, still stroking Severus' hair.

"All done, Severus. You were very brave," Healer Meyers said.

"Yes, I'm very impressed, Severus," James praised him as well.

Severus relaxed and smiled, relieved. He ignored the annoyed voice in his head that told him that they were making fun of him and that he should not behave like a small child. Severus did not care because it felt as if he had run a thousand miles. He was very exhausted and proud that he had made it. He took gladly the chocolate frog Healer Meyers gave him for his cooperation.

-II-

"What do you think, Harry, can we examine you today as well? Then you don't have to worry about it overnight," James said kindly.

Harry still sat on Alastor's lap, clinging to the old man. A quick glance to Poppy and Severus did not help him. Poppy was looking hopefully at him, and Severus was happily munching on his Chocolate Frog with a joy as if he had never had one before.

"Harry, we can wait until tomorrow morning, but we will have to examine you nevertheless. If you want to wait, we will cast a Monitoring Spell on you for the night. That's okay with us, but we fear that you will worry so much that you won't able to sleep," Maria explained, smiling friendly.

"I don't know," Harry said insecurely. He did not want to be examined, but knowing that it would happen in the morning gave him a horrible feeling in his stomach.

"You saw what the examination is about, Harry. There is nothing scary. Why are you worried?" James asked calmly.

"What if...what if I'm damaged?" Harry stuttered fearfully. Damn, why do I have to behave like this? I feel as if I'm eight and not twelve. What if the potion is still active in me as well and I will de-age until I'm eight? I don't want to be eight! Harry thought, panicking.

"Harry...Harry! Calm down," a voice said close to Harry's ear as he was pulled into another's lap. The voice went on speaking calming words, and Harry felt a soothing feeling like a humming go through his body. Slowly, he could hear the voice clearer, but did not recognize it. Puzzled, he blinked and looked up at the person in whose lap he sat. Realizing that it was Healer Smith, he tried to wriggle out of the Healer's lap in embarrassment.

"It's okay, Harry. Shhh...let me calm you for a little longer. It was all a bit much today. It's normal that you are on edge," the Healer explained.

A hand touched his, and Harry jerked around. The soothing magic the Healer was filling him with was slowing him down, and he felt a bit dizzy by his sudden movement. He stared down at his hand because that felt better than looking straight. The hand that was curled around his was small, so Harry knew that it was Severus before he felt safe enough to look up.

"The Chocolate Frog was good," Severus said, childlike. "You will get one, too."

Harry was puzzled about Severus' choice of words, but then he remembered that Severus had behaved like this since they had woken up. Oh, Merlin, maybe our brains are still de-aging even so our bodies are like this, Harry thought, but the panic found no medium in him this time because of the magic the Healer was still sending him. There was no anchor for it to hold on to, so the panicking thoughts started to fade.

"Harry, would you please tell us what's going on in your head?" James asked calmly.

Harry looked uncertain from Severus to James. After a short hesitation, Harry leaned over to whisper in James' ear. "What if we never stop de-aging? Severus is behaving oddly. Before the Ministry came, he wasn't like this."

James smiled at Harry. "You don't have to worry, Harry. The potion will stop affecting Severus soon. Maybe it isn't even active in you anymore. We don't know until we examined you. Severus won't behave like this forever. He is in the phase were his brain is sorting everything out. Memories are being suppressed and his body is fighting the remaining potion in his body. That makes him act a bit younger than twelve. Tomorrow, he will feel and act according to his age, and neither he nor you will de-age more than a few more months from now on. Like I said before, we haven't checked you through yet, so we can't tell you everything for sure."

The hand slipped out of Harry's, and he looked worriedly to his brother. Healer Meyers was sitting close to Severus and had tugged him to his bed. Severus must have been so exhausted that he had fallen asleep.

"Harry, we would prefer to examine you now. Then the Ministry won't breathe down on our necks, and we can talk with your headmaster about what will have to be changed in his current plans," James explained.

"Changes? What changes?" Harry asked, confused.

"Severus isn't the age Professor Dumbledore expected. We cannot let him attend third year. He will have to do a lot of work to heal, especially his nervous system. Overburdening him with magic beyond his age level wouldn't be a good thing. He will need a lot of help from you as well to catch up with the students his age. Remember his magic core and magical channels were almost destroyed by Voldemort? He has to not only learn everything again, but it also won't be as easy for him to learn it as it will be for you. A fixed band is never as flexible and stable as a new one. The new channels and core connections are scarred, and magic cannot flow so easily through them as your magic can flow through your channels, so it will be harder for Severus to learn. At least that's what we assume. You only de-aged around four years. That means your brain and body don't have to get used to as many changes as Severus'. That's why you are not as tired as he is and you don't behave younger than your age," James said, raising an eyebrow when he saw Harry's doubting look. "What does that look mean?"

"I feel I behave much younger than twelve. That's what made me panic. I fear my mind will not stop de-aging, even though my body stays like this. Can you see how old my mind is when you examine me?"

"Yes, we can," James said. He decided against telling Harry that he was absolutely sure that something like this would not happen. Not even an unstable potion would cause such an effect after so much time had passed after the accident. It was a chance to get Harry to agree to the examination. James could feel Maria's reproving headshake. The old witch was absolutely against manipulating patients like this, but James liked to use it in harmless situations.

"Then I want you to examine me now. I want to know how old I really am," Harry said, trying to sound brave, but failed miserably. Biting his bottom lip, he looked over to his guardians.

"Come over here, Harry," Poppy said, smiling encouragingly at him. "I will help you get ready for the examination."

On shaky legs, Harry padded over and sat down between Alastor and Poppy.

Alastor ruffled his hair. "It will be over soon, and it isn't so bad. Severus made it, so you will make it as well."

Poppy already started to unbutton his pajama top and slipped his arms out of it.

"Do you want Healer Meyers or me to do the examination?" James asked.

Harry bit his bottom lip again and looked back and forth between the two Healers. "Err...can we do it like with Severus?" Healer Meyers looked very nice and gentle and Healer Smith also was very calm and gentle, but Harry could not say why he would feel better with Healer Meyers. Maybe because she reminded him of Poppy. Even so, for the 'special' examination behind the private screen, Harry would prefer Healer Smith.

"That's absolutely fine with us, isn't it, Healer Meyers?" James asked the old witch.

"Of course, dear," she said, smiling brightly at Harry. "I will start with your head and eyes like I did with Severus, okay?"

Harry nodded nervously.

Like the Healers had guessed, Harry's results were much better than Severus'. "Beside some small nerve connection damage, there is hardly any harm from the potion. It is no longer active, Harry. You are twelve and almost a month," Healer Meyers assured him.

"Cool, that means I almost have the same birthday," Harry said, excited.

The adults looked puzzled at Harry. "Sometimes you teens think about things we adult don't even notice." Healer Meyers chuckled. "You will keep your birthday, Harry. Your exact age is only important for the examination. For the official papers, you are just twelve and you will keep your birthday."

"Oh, okay," Harry said. His mind was like a big cotton ball at the moment and many things did not make sense or did not seem important.

"You are tired, Harry. Sleep and we will talk about everything tomorrow together with Severus, okay?" Healer Meyers said. She had already maneuvered Harry into a lying position.

"But my Chocolate Frog," Harry protested weakly.

"He will wait for you on the night table, dear," Healer Meyers said softly and took the glasses off Harry's nose. Before she could place them on the night table, Harry was asleep.

______

The boys slept until nine and then the adults decided it was time to wake them. Severus groaned and turned around when Alastor shook his shoulder. "Come on, lad. It's time to wake up."

"Tired," Severus protested.

Harry looked worried over to Severus. Was he still acting like yesterday? The shocked look on his face must have given his thoughts away because Alastor said, "Remember, he was never able to form coherent sentences in the morning before he had his coffee and was fully awake."

"But Poppy doesn't allow him coffee," Harry stated.

"For good reason," Poppy said. "But Severus won't need it now. He just has to wake up properly and drink a nice cup of hot chocolate."

"I'm in the room," Severus grumbled and sat up.

"And the sun is rising," Alastor teased Severus and ruffled his hair.

"Hey," Severus protested and jumped out of the bed, unfortunately directly in front of Poppy.

The mediwitch instantly grabbed his face and kissed him on his forehead. "Good morning, my sweetheart."

"Eww," Severus grumbled and wiped his face with his sleeve. After a short scandalized look at Poppy, Severus grabbed his little brother by the arm. "Come on, Harry."

Harry followed Severus into the bathroom, smirking.

"So what did I miss yesterday? I swear there was something in my Chocolate Frog."

"You are paranoid," Harry said, laughing.

Severus glared at Harry and then suddenly realized that nature was calling. "Damn!" he cursed and squeezed his legs together.

Before Harry could offer to leave, Severus had jumped over to the toilet and relieved himself.

"This is bullshit!" Severus said.

Harry's eyes almost popped out of their sockets when he heard Severus swear. He was still gaping at him when Severus turned. "What?"

"You swore!"

"So what? Will you go to Mummy and Daddy and squeal?" Severus asked mockingly.

Harry pulled a face. "I liked you better when you acted younger." He turned to get his toothbrush, not wanting to look at Severus any longer.

Severus sighed. "I'm sorry, okay? You know I'm moody in the morning. My head is still buzzing and it feels like cotton balls are stuffed in it," Severus explained.

Harry looked worried at his brother. "You should tell Healer Meyers or Healer Smith, Severus. I don't feel anything different this morning."

"They will do more tests, but I just want to be left alone," Severus said grumpily, but he could not keep the sadness out of it.

"They will come and talk to us this morning. Healer Smith said that some things have to be changed. For example, the classes we have to take. I think they wanted to speak with Professor Dumbledore about it."

"Albus," Severus said sadly and gulped. Several different feelings and thoughts overcame him at the thought of the old man. Feelings of friendship, but also feelings of him as a father figure. Feelings of respect, trust, love, but also of fear, being overpowered, having no say in decisions....

"Severus? Severus, are you all right?" Harry asked, panicking when Severus groaned and pressed his hands against his ears. "Shall I get Poppy?"

"No," Severus pressed out between clenched teeth.

"I think it would be better, Severus!" Harry said pleadingly.

"No, I'm fine," Severus said and straightened up. "Let's finish here."

Harry looked skeptically over to Severus but then decided to just wait and see if this would happen again.

_________

"Kingsley?" Severus said, positively surprised. He had the urge to run over to the man and hug him, but he fought it. Instead, he walked over to him and offered his hand.

"So formal! Aren't we friends anymore?" Kingsley asked cheerfully, tilting his head sideways.

Severus could not suppress the urge any longer and hauled himself at his friend. Kingsley was one of the few friends he had, and hugging him felt so good. It was as if he had something from his old life that was still the same. But then he felt that he did not want to let go and wanted to stay in this hug for eternity, and that was definitely not something he would have done in his past life. A friendly hug, yes, but never a hug of comfort like this. He hid his head in Kingsley's shoulder and whispered, "I'm sorry."

Kingsley threw a worried look over to the Healers and patted Severus' back. "There is nothing to apologize for."

Severus sighed and fought against the tears that were forming in his eyes. These mood swings were horrible. "I do not want to be like this," he mumbled miserably into Kingsley's shoulder.

"I have heard that you will gain a lot from this situation, Severus. We are still friends. That will not change," Kingsley assured Severus.

Severus gave up his hiding place and looked at his friend directly. "But I am a child now."

"I don't care, Sev. You were a wreck when I last saw you. I think you look much better already, and I've only heard good news from the Healers. I hope you will be up for some fun soon."

"Fun?" Severus asked, excited, and smiled at Kingsley.

"Oh, my," Kingsley said theatrically, "you smiled at me."

Severus bopped his friend on the chest playfully. "You are stupid."

"Such language, Severus. I bet you will get yourself in trouble in record time." Kingsley chuckled, amused. He missed his old friend Severus, but the man he had visit several times after the war was just a shadow of the man he had made friends with. That was the reason why he was really happy about this new Severus, even if he was a child.

Severus glared at Kingsley and then realized that there were more people in the room. "Headmaster," Severus greeted the old man insecurely.

"It's still Albus in private, my boy," Albus said gently. "Why don't you two sit down and eat something? You must be very hungry." He wanted to say starving but caught himself before it could slip his lips. That would have been too macabre after the shocking news he had heard from the Healers about Severus' nutrient levels.

Harry had watched the whole scene between Severus and Kingsley sadly. He wished Remus was here so that he could hug the werewolf like Severus had hugged his friend. Harry had seen the two friends together a few times, so he was not surprised by this. Severus was also friends with Charlie Weasley and Nymphadora Tonks, but they were the only friends Severus had as far as Harry knew. Severus was alone almost all the time, and it was only when one or more of those three came over to pester him like hell that he decided to go out with them. After he was injured by Voldemort, Severus isolated himself from his friends and all their attempts to cheer him up were in vain.

"Harry?" Healers Meyers asked, and Harry jerked when she laid her arm around his shoulders. "Are you all right?"

Harry realized that he was still staring at Kingsley while he was deep in thought. He blushed and apologized.

"No problem, Harry. This all must be very confusing for you. How are you feeling?" the Minister asked.

"I'm fine. I feel much better than yesterday," Harry explained. "That's how it should feel right? I shouldn't have any trouble right now, should I?"

"Trouble like what?" Healers Meyers asked suspiciously.

"Ehm...." Harry threw a quick glance over to Severus, who glared at him. It was long enough for Healer Meyers and all the other adults to notice.

"Harry, what's wrong?" Healer Meyers prodded gently.

Harry looked down at his feet sadly. He did not want to squeal like Severus had accused him of a few minutes ago.

"Severus, can you tell me what this is about?" Healer Meyers asked, scanning every small change in his features closely like she was used to when he was an adult. This was not necessary because the twelve-year-old Severus was unable to hide his emotions like the adult one, and so his shock was written all over his face.

"I'm fine," he said too quickly.

"Severus, why don't you come over and let me have a short scan? You need to take your Nutrient Potion as well," James said, waving with a vial in his hand. The brownish, transparent liquid sloshed around in the vial, and Severus pulled a face. He knew how horrible the liquid tasted and how difficult it was to swallow the thick, almost syrup-like liquid.

Severus groaned, but nevertheless he padded over to the Healer. He was a bit shocked and embarrassed when he was pulled onto the Healer's lap, his back pressed against Healer Smith's chest. James stopped the scanning shortly after and assured the worried guardians and friends that everything was okay. "The instability of his mood is a normal reaction to the huge amount of de-aging, and the headache is still from the adjustments his mind has made overnight. The potion has left his system completely now, and he has only de-aged two more months." Speaking to Severus he added, "So you are twelve and six month now. Sometimes your body will still react confusingly, but soon you will adjust completely. Did you have the headache since you woke up or did something trigger it?"

Two month was not so bad. At least he was still older than Harry. Severus decided to work together with the Healer. He was kind and maybe he could make him feel better. "I had it from when I woke, but then I thought about something and it became really bad."

"Will you tell me what it you thought about?" James prodded, careful not to push Severus.

Severus bit his bottom lip. "Albus," he whispered.

"You thought about Albus and the headaches became worse?" James asked.

"Yes, there were many different feelings and memories running through my head. Even really old once from my time as a student. Then Harry distracted me, and the headache lessened again," Severus explained truthfully.

"That's what I meant about your body or mind being confused sometimes. In moments like this, more memories are being stored away. Most of this will happen overnight, so I hope this won't happen a lot in the future. I will give you a pain killer after you have taken your potion and have eaten at least half of your breakfast. Are you hungry?"

Severus nodded, and his stomach chose to growl at exactly that moment.

Healer Smith chuckled. "That's good, Severus. It seems your younger self has much more of an appetite than your older self. If it remains, you will get rid of this potion here in no time."

Severus groaned when the Healer took his right hand from his chest to open the vial.

"Come on, Severus, I know it doesn't taste good, but Poppy has made a wonderful cup of hot chocolate to flush the bad taste away afterward," James said, encouraging.

"But it goes down so slowly," Severus whined.

"If you relax, I can help you," James offered.

Severus craned his neck to look at the Healer without giving up his comfortable position against his chest. "How?"

"I can massage your throat while you drink it. That will help you to gulp it down more quickly." James smiled at the curious expression on Severus' face. Alastor had told him a lot about the adult Severus, and it was hard to believe that this boy was the same person. The young Severus was quite open, and he even relaxed on his lap. He also seemed to be a very curious and interested boy. James was known for his experience in working with traumatized patients, and he wondered what some of his patients would think about being de-aged and getting a new chance. Too bad that this kind of de-aging was too dangerous and not reversible.

"Okay, I will try," Severus said.

It was awkward, but it really was much easier to swallow the thick liquid with Healer Smith's help.

"Will he be like this or like the grumpy Severus I met this morning when all his memories are sorted?" Harry asked Healer Meyers in a soft voice.

"Like he is now, but from time to time he will be grumpy, Harry. That's just Severus' character. You knew him well as an adult, right?"

"Yes, he was always grumpy in the morning. This morning I thought I was talking with the adult Severus, but then he swore." Harry grinned. "It was weird."

"Some of his behavior will be the same as when he was an adult, Harry. That's just Severus' character. He is grumpy no matter if he is an adult or a teen. You are just confused because you are comparing him with his adult self." Maria felt Harry's mood change again. "What's wrong Harry?"

"I don't want him to change back again. I hope there won't be an antidote for the potion," Harry whispered and hid in Healer Meyers' robes.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2078