The Enigma of Time by shigeki11
Summary: The Battle of Hogwarts has finally finished, but at a great cost. Harry no longer has anything to live for, and has come to two conclusions: either he commits suicide, or he changes the past, in order to be reunited with his loved ones. Deciding to choose the latter, he sets about his quest to vanquish evil for once and for all – by returning to that fateful night where it all began. True to his luck, he arrives too late. Follow Harry’s quest to change the past for the better.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hagrid, McGonagall, Other, Remus, Sirius, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Time Travel
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 63412 Read: 19114 Published: 14 Feb 2010 Updated: 13 Apr 2010
Chapter 6: Welcome to the Old and the Unknown by shigeki11
Author's Notes:
Remus and Sirius are back, the new prophect revealed, and Alex receives his Defense Mastery. He also has several conversations with several important people...

Many a person in Godric's Hollow shuddered that night. The half-moon was bright, and an unearthly howl had lit up the night sky hours past midnight, startling everyone surrounding the area.

Standing erect on the steps of the ruined house was a great black dog, his snout turned towards the moon. After what seemed to be an eternity, he carefully picked up the roses by his side, and tenderly laid them on the grave of the late Potters. He retreated.

Had anyone been nearby, they would have been startled to see a man suddenly pop into existence. It was Sirius Black.

He sobbed, his moans not unlike the howls his dog form had wailed minutes earlier. "Why? Why was I so stupid? W-Why - "

A man stepped behind him, and draped his arm around his shoulders, comforting him. "Shhhh..."

"Moony," Sirius acknowledged, then hiccupped. "It's all my fault!"

The man just stood there, comforting him. For the longest while, there was only silence to be heard, besides the rustling wind and the occasional shuffle from one of the nearby houses. Finally, one of the two men shifted, and the conversation picked up again.

"Moony," said Sirius. "D-Do you think they're happy up there?"

The other man shrugged. "I don't know if they're happy...but I think they'd be upset if they saw us like this."

"James would've wanted us to laugh..." For a brief moment, it seemed as if there was a bit of a sparkle in Sirius's eye. "And Lily would've whacked us over the head with James's broom." He laughed bitterly. "And Harry - Oh dear God! Harry!" 

The other man looked up, startled. "Harry!" 

"Where is he, Moony?" barked Sirius. "Where is he??" He took a look at his face. "Remus John Lupin! Don't tell me..." 

Remus (for that was what his name was) shook his head. "I don't know -" 

"James's child, and you've lost him?" asked Sirius, incredulous. "My godson, Remus!" 

"I-I got a bit caught up..." Remus weakly defended. 

"A bit caught up, I'll say," snarled Sirius. "You'd better hope Dumbledore's got him, or there'll be hell to pay." 

"Oh, so going after Peter and then landing in Azkaban's excusable, then?" Remus shot back. 

"At least I remembered James had a son!" shouted Sirius, and then stomped towards the Apparition point. Pausing, he yelled at Remus, "Are you coming or not?" 

"Coming where?!?" Remus still looked a bit red. 

"To find Dumbledore, that's where!" Sirius looked a tad off-colour as well: a nice shade of puce. "So are you coming?" 

"Fine," said Remus, and without bothering to wait for Sirius, he Apparated. Sirius, who seemed to be experiencing several different moods at the moment, wasn't far behind. Soon, they were at the gates. 

"What d'yer wan' a' this ‘our?" greeted Hagrid grumpily. "Don'cher know -" He took a closer look. "Sirius Black and Remus Lupin! What'cher doin' a' this ‘our?" 

"We need to speak to Dumbledore," said Remus. "It's urgent." 

"Oh, all righ'," said Hagrid, taking massive keys out of his pocket, and unlocked the gate. "Ye sure ye know the way te Dumbledore's office, then?"

An unfamiliar voice interrupted whatever Sirius was going to say. "I could help them, Hagrid." 

"Evenin', Professor Potter!" said Hagrid. "Didn' know ye'd be ou' tenigh'." 

The two men stared at each other. Professor Potter

"Just went out for a celebration with a friend," said the man easily, then turned to Sirius and Remus. "Alexandre Potter, at your service."

James didn't have any siblings, did he? Remus was the first to recover. "Remus Lupin, and this is my friend, Sirius Black."

"Pleasure to meet you," smiled Alex. "You wanted to go to the Headmaster's office? I can show you the way...I'm on the way there, myself."

"S-Sure," said Sirius, who was looking as if the other man had suddenly sprouted four arms. The three men began walking up towards Hogwarts, a somewhat uncomfortable silence settling on them.

Remus broke the silence. "So what do you teach, Professor Potter?" 

"Please, call me Alex," said Alex, smiling. "I'm currently teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts."

"I see..." said Remus. "You don't seem to be from around these parts." 

Alex chuckled. "No, I'm from France. Marseilles, to be precise." 

Sirius's eyes widened. "What's a Frenchman doing in Bonny Ol' England...err, Scotland?" 

"I was offered the job at Hogwarts," shrugged Alex. "I'm the French equivalent of an Auror, but I decided I needed a break. So here I am." 

"Interesting," said Remus, then added, "Your English is quite good." 

"Thank you," said Alex. "My grandfather was an Englishman, or so I've been told." 

"Any relation to James Potter?" asked Sirius, his voice quiet. 

"My cousin," replied Alex. "And no, my father was not...legitimate, if that was what you were asking." 

"I'm sorry," said Sirius, after being jabbed in the ribs by Remus. "James was our best friend...we just thought it was odd we hadn't met you before, that's all."

"I met him once, I think," said Alex. "When I was younger. Though...I did attend his funeral." 

Remus paused, and looked at him once, then twice. "I saw you there!"

Alex nodded, but he made no further comments. Finally, they reached Dumbledore's office, and Alex knocked. "Come in, Professor Potter!" 

The Headmaster looked up, his eyes twinkling. "Mr. Lupin, Mr. Black, a pleasure to see you again." 

"I'll be back in a bit," interrupted Alex. "I have to see to Matt." 

"Give my regards to Mr. Erlin," said Dumbledore. As the door closed, Dumbledore addressed the two men. "Please, sit down. Now, what can I do for you today, gentlemen?" 

"My godson -"

"Harry -"

Dumbledore's eyes twinkled. "One at a time please. My ears aren't what they used to be." 

Sirius took a deep breath. "Where. Is. Harry?" 

"I was originally going to place Harry at the Dursleys' -"

"Tell me you didn't," breathed Sirius. "In Merlin's name, please tell me you did not hand over James's child to those abominations..." 

Dumbledore looked affronted. "Abominations? You don't like Muggles, Mr. Black?" 

Sirius shuddered. "Those Muggles? No, definitely no. Lily's sister lit into us like there was no tomorrow at the mention of magic. Her husband's even worse."

Remus nodded his head. "But you said ‘originally'...So where is he now?" 

"Well, I can't really tell you," said Dumbledore. "I've been asked -" 

"My ass you can't!" Sirius jumped up from his chair. "He's my godson! I should be taking care of him!" 

"Enough!" Dumbledore stated. Sirius gulped. He had never seen Dumbledore this angry before. 

"S-Sorry, Professor," stuttered Sirius. "I guess I got a bit carried away." 

Remus whistled. "I'll say you did, Padfoot. Professor, why can't you tell Sirius? He is Harry's legal guardian, after all." 

Dumbledore sighed. "Mr. Lupin, I have no say over Harry then I did four weeks ago. It's out of my hands." Before they could protest, he put up his hands. "Though I'm sure if the two of you were to promise utmost secrecy, you could see the boy. I'd suggest -" 

"Would an Unbreakable Vow do?" suggested Remus. 

Sirius shook his head vehemently. "Don't you know how dangerous those are? If we break them, even accidentally, we could die!" 

"Well, it's not like you have a suggestion, do you, Padfoot?" asked Remus. "Professor, what do you think?" 

"While Remus is, to some extent, correct in his assumption that we need to have some guarantee over your, err, discretion," said Dumbledore. "I believe that the Unbreakable Vow may be a bit too harsh," Dumbledore's eyes twinkled as Remus opened his mouth to protest. "However, there is another solution. A Charm, not unlike the Fidelius Charm, that will prevent you from being able to speak about Harry until you are certain that they know of him as well. Would you be willing to undergo such a Charm?" 

Sirius nodded slowly. "It won't kill me or anything, right?" 

Remus jabbed him in the side again - hard. "Yes, it's going to kill you the moment you say the incantation. Honestly, Padfoot."

Sirius looked at Remus, horrified. "You don't really mean that, do you?"

"And then you're going to be eaten by a Basilisk that's a thousand feet long," continued Remus, unperturbed. Still, Sirius looked at him with horror, unaware of the joke. Remus sighed. "No, Padfoot, no." 

"Oh," said Sirius, then caught on to what Remus had said. "Why, you!" 

"Gentlemen, please," said Dumbledore, though his eyes were twinkling ferociously. "Mr. Black, Mr. Lupin-" He passed a piece of paper at them. "Merely incant the spell, and our problem will hopefully be solved." 

"Vigilo vestri os super Harry Potter," the two men chanted together. 

Sirius looked funnily at Dumbledore. "Are you sure this is all right? I mean, I don't feel like I'm missing anything..." 

"There is only one way to test its success," said Dumbledore, a faint smile gracing his lips. "Professor Potter, you may come in now." 

*********

Alex entered, having heard the conversation the entire time. "Yes, Headmaster?" 

Dumbledore indicated to the two of them to talk. To their surprise, that though they could visualize Harry in their heads, they couldn't even say his name. Alex stared at them and, inwardly sniggered. 

Headmaster?" asked Alex, faking confusion. "What am I here for?" 

 Dumbledore's eyes twinkled. "My dear Professor Potter, there is no reason for you not to reveal yourself now." 

"Ah, Matt!" exclaimed Alex. "I'll be right back...Mr. Black, Mr. Lupin, please be prepared." 

The two older men stared at each other in confusion. What was that man on about? "Err...Professor, are you sure Professor Potter is all right?" 

"I wouldn't have hired him otherwise, would I?" said Dumbledore. "Ah, here he comes." 

The minute Alex stepped through the door, he said, "Harry." 

Immediately, the two men felt the emptiness disappear. "Wait, Professor, this man knows about Harry?" 

"Evidently," Alex interjected wryly. "And here he is." 

"That's not Harry!" exclaimed Sirius. "I think I'd know my own godson." 

Alex cooed at the child in his arms. "Do you see your godfather, Matt?" 

Matt giggled. "Paddy!" 

"Merlin!" said Sirius gobsmacked, then frowned. "How do I know that's really Harry? You could've just told him what my nickname was." 

Remus smacked him. "Professor Potter wouldn't know your nickname. And besides..." He muttered something into Sirius's ear. "...So that's why I know that's Harry." 

"So why the disguise?" asked Sirius. "Why did you have to change the way he looks?" 

Alex waved at the question. "Did you want him to grow up spoiled? Or mobbed? I do live at the school." 

"Uh huh..."said Sirius, unconvinced. "So...do I still get custody, Headmaster?" 

Alex stiffened, but when Dumbledore shook his head, he relaxed. "No, I'm sorry, Sirius, but blood relatives take priority. I'm sure you could visit. Professor Potter wouldn't necessarily be against your visits, unless..." Dumbledore coughed. "Well, I'm sure you two will behave yourselves."

"Well, it's better to be the fun uncle anyways," sniffed Sirius. "Right?"

********

When all was said and done, Alex couldn't have been happier with the arrangements. It was a bit odd, though, his reaction to Sirius's question. Why hadn't he wanted to give up custody? That had been his original plan, wasn't it? He would only take the child if Alice Longbottom or Sirius Black could not. But Sirius was still in one piece - alive - and not in any way unaccounted for. 

Could you realistically develop feelings for yourself? No, Alex reminded himself, the little boy he was holding on to was no longer the same person he was. Still... 

And was it fair for the boy to grow up without a mother? Sirius had a steady girlfriend right now, and it was plain that they would be married within the coming year. Or so he had been told. But Alex...Alex hadn't even gotten over his loss of Ginny. When she died, it had been as if his world had ended. And, technically speaking, it had. He had gone back in time to re-write the past, so that the future he had gone through would never, ever exist again. That the people he loved would survive, and have happy lives. 

He'd been having selfish thoughts lately. What about me? Don't I deserve to be happy too? 

His thoughts kept him up until three in the morning, when finally sleep overtook him, transporting him to the realm of dreams - at least, he hoped they were dreams. 

********

Where am I? 

He seemed to be in a glade, a cool breeze creating havoc with his hair. The colours he saw were vivid, more so than he had ever seen before. He could hear the animals crying out to their hearts' content, not paying any attention to the stranger in their midst. It seemed like...paradise. 

But it is, my child, came a voice. Alex spun around, but could not see anyone. 

Who are you? Alex asked. And where are you? 

I am here, said the voice. And here. And here. Each time the voice spoke, it came from a different direction. Alex became quite disoriented, and had to sit down. 

Forget about where, said Alex. But who are you?

I am the one who writes your life, came the voice. The one who created you. Fate. Destiny. God. 

For a God who claims to give free will, observed Alex, The terms you define yourself by are quite constricting. Fate? Destiny? The prophecies? 

I see each path you will take, said the voice. But what you choose is yours. 

I don't think I quite believe you just yet, said Alex. I have no reason to. You have taken everything from me. My family, my friends...my future. In fact, I'm in the past to make my own future. Why would I need you?

You don't, said the voice. But the future I have given you is the past.

So why didn't you just do it right the first time? Why make me suffer? What makes me so different from everyone else? Alex asked, his frustration surfacing. Why was I the Chosen One?

Everyone faces something different, said the voice. I only give what you can take. I allow evil to happen, in order for the good to be shown.† 

So you destroyed all those lives to make a point to me? Alex asked. How cruel and callous can you be? 

The actions taken below are not of me, said the voice. I have given free will, and some individuals have taken the opportunity to act upon it, whether they be good or bad. But enough. The coming conflict - 

There's another one? Alex exclaimed. You are unbelievable. I have already defeated Voldemort. What else are you going to throw my way? 

So long as there is evil, there will be conflict, came the voice. And there is one brewing. The actions of your nemesis have stirred up more than what your actions can counter. 

 I don't believe you, said Alex. I make my own way. If there was another war coming, I would have known by now. 

My child... 

No, said Alex. Leave me alone. And I'd thank you to give me my life back. Fate, Destiny, God or whatever you are, really, thanks for being there when I needed you. 

Without another hesitation, and without really knowing, Alex left the conversation, bolting upright in his bed. For hours (or what seemed like it), he stared up at the ceiling, just thinking about what he had just experienced. That was interesting, to say in the least. Was that really God? Or was it his own imagination, being paranoid, that the changes he had made were wrong? He had to get to the Department of Mysteries, pronto. 

********

"Alexandre Potter, here to see the Hall of Prophecies."

"I'm sorry, that's a restricted area -" 

"You don't understand," said Alex. "I'm here to see a prophecy regarding...well, myself." 

"Very well," said the woman manning the desk. "Unspeakable Smith will be escorting you." 

As she was speaking, a man (or woman) came out of the door, and beckoned to Alex to follow him. The last time he had been here, the entire area had been destroyed, in a fit of anger on Voldemort's part. 

The man - maybe a woman? Alex couldn't tell - spoke. "I will be waiting for you by the door. The prophecy, if it does exist, will gravitate towards you." 

"Thank you," replied Alex, and he stepped into the Hall. Row upon row of what looked to be glass orbs sat on the shelves, faintly lit by eerily blue candles, flickering. As soon as both feet were past the doorway, the room began to hum. To his right, he saw the original Prophecy - the one he had suffered through. He reached for it. 

Surely it still applied...but the moment he touched it, it broke in half, and tiny wisps of smoke rose from the broken orb, its faint whispers disappearing into the smoke from the candles. Alex stared at it in disbelief. What...? 

Further down the shelf, another orb began to glow, golden light emanating from it, and eerie flute piping sounded. Curious, but half-afraid, he walked towards it, and picked it up. 

He tapped it twice, and the music stopped. Immediately, the prophecy was spoken: 

Now twice foretold, now twice warned:

Half of magic, half of none, who styles himself Lord

And another, Chosen by the first, now abandoned

Fate hangs in the balance, held up only by temporary accord.

 

Chosen, he must step forward

Lest his enemy wreak havoc once more.

First must come the arrival of Mentor,

And then the blind.

 

One rat, of silver paw of past undone, and two

Diminutive helpers, doubled, their roles already cast.    

Destruction of the Dark, Arrival of Light

In one solitary figure, with child of foretold might.

 

Blood of the ancestor, slithering.

Unholy ground of not quite Slavs, poured in.

Spell of unheard of proportions, Dark by sight,

One free-given sacrifice, not unlike before.

 

Knowledge. Power. Strength. Might.

Of the four both possess, of unequal distribution.

Either must die at the hand of the other,

For neither can live while the other survives.

 

One has come, the other in hiding.

One thought dead, another unknown, already Marked.

Change your ways, and the world may yet survive.

If ye interfere or heed not this warning, woe be the realm in which you dwell.

 

********

At the same time Alex heard the prophecy, Dumbledore was also in his office listening to what he had caught on the lens earlier. He frowned. For perhaps the first time in his entire life, he was speechless. Who was this person the prophecy had referred to? What had happened to the first one? Had the Potters died for naught?

He gingerly sat on his plush chair, and took parchment and quill. As he wrote down the Prophecy, he began to analyse it, bit by bit. 

It was obvious the prophecy referred to Tom Riddle. But who was the other? "Abandoned by the first" yet "One has come"? Little Harry Potter was too young for this one. That had been obvious when the four characteristics had been listed. But could he be the "child of foretold might"? That would make sense. 

And what was that last bit? "Change your ways, and the world may yet survive. If ye interfere or heed not this warning, woe be the realm in which you dwell." What in Merlin's name was that about? 

He really needed to ponder this. 

******** 

Alex crouched, rocking back and forth on his knees. So...it was true, then. Why? He cried out silently. Why me, again? Haven't I done enough? 

And there was no way it wasn't him, no matter whichever way he twisted the words. Why did he have to be the "Saviour of the Wizarding World"? Maybe this place wasn't worth saving anyways. He could pack his bags and move to Canada, where the moose and the beavers roamed. 

But he couldn't, and he knew it. Something in him wouldn't let him; it was his "saving people" complex. And even if he did try to move away, Dumbledore by now had surely caught on. And Sirius Black and Remus Lupin would want to know why...no, it was too complicated. 

What was he going to do? Picking himself up, he nodded curtly to the Unspeakable, and disapparated, back to Merlin and perhaps his sanity. 

Along the way up to Hogwarts, though, he bumped into someone familiar.  

"Good morning, Alex," said Snape. 

"Easy for you to say," said Alex glumly. "You're not the one finding out your whole world's just been tipped upside down...again." 

"I have often been accused by morning grumpiness, but I see that I am not the worst of the lot," observed Snape.  "So what ails you?" 

"I-I probably shouldn't tell you," said Alex. "It'll upset your morning." 

"Come," said Snape. "To The Three Broomsticks. A good breakfast and some coffee should wake you from the drudgery you seem to wallow in." 

"I don't ‘wallow' in anything!" protested Alex. "Besides, my examination is today. I need to go back up to Hogwarts, and talk to Erlin." 

"Come along then," commanded Snape, his robes billowing behind him. Alex just looked at him. He could do that already? "Are you coming or not?" 

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming," said Alex, and both of them trudged up the hill in silence. "Seriously, you don't want to know." 

"I find the very things I know are those that I have little care for. Despite all of this, I find myself becoming the confidant," said Snape. "It's a cross I must bear." 

"Please stop joking around," said Alex. "You're not helping." 

"Very well," said Snape. 

As they walked into the Great Hall, they heard whispers breaking out, all of which seemed to be directed at them.   

"Good morning, Severus, Alex!" boomed Slughorn's voice. "Come, come, sit down." He indicated to the seats to the left of him, one of which was occupied by Flitwick. "Oh, my apologies, Filius, I didn't see you there." 

"No one ever does," replied a glum Flitwick. 

"Don't worry, professor, I'll sit next to Minerva," said Alex quickly, and took a seat next to her. 

"Filius, Alex, call me Filius," said Flitwick. 

Alex nodded, and McGonagall soon caught his attention. "So I heard your exam is today?" 

"Exams, actually," said Alex. "I have the theoretical in the morning, and then the practical in the afternoon." 

"When will you know your results?" asked McGonagall. 

"Err -"

Merlin interrupted, seating himself on the other side of McGonagall. "Good morning, Minerva. And to answer your question, I'll be receiving his results straightaway." 

"Good morning, Christopher," said McGonagall. "Why, I didn't know it was that fast. I remember when I had to do my Transfigurations Mastery it took a week for them to deliberate." 

"They said something about prior experience being counted," said Alex, swallowing. "Apparently, they heard about what I did in France." 

"That makes sense," said Minerva. "After all, you have been working in the field for several years now." 

"Uh huh," said Alex. "So, what time do I have to be there?" 

"As soon as you finish your breakfast," said Merlin. "Minerva, you wouldn't mind taking care of Matthieu, do you?" 

"Oh, no, of course not," said Minerva. "He could come to class with me." 

"Ah..." 

"Don't worry," Minerva reassured him. "It'll be perfectly safe." 

"All right," said Alex, and crouched down to Matt. "So, Mattie, after I'm done my exams, let's go down to Hogsmeade for an ice cream, okay?" 

Matt giggled and cooed. "Ithe cweam!" 

"Yeah, ice cream," said Alex. "So cheer for me, okay, little buddy?" 

"Alec!" And Alex smiled at the little boy, and rewarded him with a piece of cantaloupe.

"Okay, I'm done," said Alex, wiping his mouth and standing up. "See you later, Matt, Minerva."

Minerva waved little Matt's hand, and he giggled, covering his mouth with his other hand. 

********

"So, did I pass?" asked a nervous Alex. He had gone into the exam confident, and the theoretical he was sure he had passed with flying colours. It wasn't until he had entered the arena that he had begun to feel fear. 

It had been pitch dark. He could hear two distinct set of footsteps, one on his right, and one on his left. Did he have time for a Lumos? Gently and silently gathering his shields around him, he waited, but no attack came. Suddenly, he shouted, "Lumos!", and the arena lit up. True to form, that was when they had attacked. 

One had been Alastor Moody, the other...he hadn't been quite sure. But he or she was on par with Moody, that he knew. He had quickly disillusioned himself, knowing that even if Moody could see him, the other person may not have been able to. From there, he made sure to centre all his attacks on the other person, while defending off the attacks from Moody. 

It had been really hard. By the time he had finally disabled the other person, sweat had poured off of him by the buckets. And Moody didn't even have his square peg yet! So Alex waited, and waited, but it seemed that he wanted him to go on the offensive, and so he did. 

He began with an Expulso, and then a Lumos Maximas. From there, he had thrown fire (not fiendfyre, mind you), but all spells had been easily blocked, despite the debilitating light. Out of desperation, he had transfigured the floor under Moody into ice, and had sent an Aguamenti his way. Not prepared for this unorthodox move, Moody had been blasted to the clear end of the other side of the arena, and the practical ended. 

That was why he had been nervous. Was this a typical exam? He frowned. Once upon a time, he had actually considered taking his Defense Mastery. Most of the practicals he had read about were mere duels, not...a fight to the death sort of thing. Had he passed? 

"Yes, of course, my dear boy," chuckled Merlin, clapping Alex's back. "You do know you didn't have to take this exam? They were willing to give it to you straight off the bat, but I told them, Alex wants to do this the right way." 

"Why, you..." said Alex. "All right, fine. Wait a second...you didn't design this too, did you?" 

"Of course I did!" said Merlin indignantly. "Isn't it brilliant?" 

"Oh, real brilliant," said Alex. "Absolutely fantastic."

 "There's a ceremony, of course," said Merlin. "But I'm sure you had to do the same with your Potions and Transfigurations Masteries."

"I hate ceremonies," grumbled Alex. "Useless things. They could just as well perform that spell and give me my ribbons and certification right here." 

"It doesn't matter now," said Merlin. "I will be waiting for you on the other side of the door." He paused before passing through. "Go freshen yourself up in the bathroom. I believe there are towels - oh, and your dress robes - in there. Tata!" 

"Right..." said Alex, sighing. "Dress robes." 

Quickly showering and changing, he was just in time to see someone rushing at him. "Mr. Potter?" 

"Yes?" answered Alex. 

"They are ready for you now," said the woman. "Please, follow me." 

The two of them walked through the doors on the left, and travelled down the hallway, turning stopped in front of a set of peculiar green doors. "You will be entering through these doors, Mr. Potter. All of your examiners will be within, and they will each give you their remarks. After all of them have finished, your mentor will be presenting you with either your Mastery - or nothing. Good luck." 

Despite having heard Merlin's reassurances earlier, Alex was not in any way confident. Taking a deep breath, he pushed open the door, and was met by five people: three he did not know, the other two, Moody and Merlin. 

He stepped quietly on to the floor below the dais where the four examiners stood behind a table, and waited for them to begin. 

"Mr. Potter." Alex nodded, folding his shaking hands in front of him. "The four of us here, as well as your mentor, were your examiners. We will each speak on your proficiency, and where we think there can be improvement. Are you ready?" Alex nodded. "Then we shall begin, with the practical component examiners first." 

The woman stepped forward. "I was very impressed with your duelling skills. Your proficiency in shielding and using unorthodox attacks signalled to me your experience in the world outdoors - which came as no surprise, as you are a French Auror. Despite this, I feel that there can be some improvement in your reaction timing. Several times you waited for your opponent to come to you. While caution is good, it is often better to make quick decisions." Moody quickly whispered into her ear. "And Mr. Moody here would like to confer to you to keep constant vigilance." She nodded to Alex once, and stepped back. 

The other two examiners stepped forward, and the man who had addressed him first spoke. "Your analyses of several questions were thought-provoking, as well as novel. Your multiple choice section was also flawless. My colleague and I debated over several issues your paper brought forth to us. Thank you." 

The second man began to speak. "There is something you can improve on, perhaps not in terms of your Mastery, but in daily life. Your handwriting needs improving. Although the subject was brilliant, several times we had to use a decoder." 

Alex turned a deep shade of red, but said nothing, merely nodding. Finally, Merlin stepped forward, his face serious, but his eyes twinkling. "Alexandre Matthieu Potter, you are here today because you were deemed worthy to take the Defense Mastery examinations. Throughout the course of these examinations, you have demonstrated to your examiners and to me - your mentor - that you are worthy of carrying the position of..." Here, Merlin, took out ribbons and his certificate, and motioned to Alex to move on to the dais. "Master of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Congratulations, Master Potter. Very well done." 

Merlin placed the bands onto Alex's shoulders, and they shimmered next to his other Masteries' ribbons, and Alex took the certificate. They bowed to each other, and Merlin spoke the blessing, reminding Alex to use his new position not to harm, but to help, and to control his actions, as he now represented the Guild of the Defense Against the Dark Arts. 

After it was finished, he shook each of his examiners' hands, and after a brief discussion, he and Merlin left.

********

"I did it, I did it!" Alex tore into Hogwarts' grounds, dancing and yelling at the top of his voice. "Whoohoo!" 

"Such discretion," sighed Merlin. "I shouldn't have given it to you." 

Alex laughed. "Nothing you can say right now will upset me. I'm on top of the world!" He frowned, having seen something suspicious in the sky. "Wait, what's going on?"

"Hmmm?" asked Merlin, looking up at the sky. "Oh, I merely told your colleagues of your success -"

"You didn't!" said Alex, indignant, then looked up again. "Really, Merlin, how on earth did you get the sky to spell out ‘Congratulations, Professor Potter'?" 

"I have to have some secrets too, my boy," said Merlin. "Now, go. I'll be back in February of the new year." 

"Wait, you're leaving now?" asked Alex. "Without saying goodbye to Matt?" 

"He won't miss me," chuckled Merlin. "And yes. Though I originally told you Saturday, something has caught my attention that just won't wait. Time is an ever-flowing stream, my boy. Send my regards to Minerva. I'll see you in the new year." 

With that, Merlin strode into the Forbidden Forest, towards the portal. Alex sighed. That man was totally unpredictable.

********

As he walked through the entrance, and towards the Great Hall, he was stopped by Pomona Sprout. "Professor Potter!" 

"Hello, Pomona," said Alex. "What can I do for you?" 

"Oh, I'm supposed to lead you into the Great Hall for dinner," said Sprout. "But please, close your eyes." 

"All right..." said Alex, and allowed himself to be led into the Hall. 

"Congratulations!" shouted the entire school. Alex stumbled back, and weakly waved at the students before glaring at the crazy decorations in the hall. Definitely Dumbledore's work. He stepped on to the elevated platform, and sat in his usual spot, before being moved by McGonagall to the spot where she normally sat - beside Dumbledore. Inwardly, he groaned. 

"Congratulations, Alex!" said McGonagall. "What is it now, three Masteries?" 

Alex blushed. "Yes...but I don't plan on getting any more." 

Dumbledore chuckled. "Well, three is a good number, isn't it? Congratulations, by the way, Professor Potter."

"Please, Albus, call me Alex," said Alex. "I don't think I want to work through another Mastery. I don't have the talent for any other subjects anyways, besides Charms. But I'm satisfied with my Advanced Charms already. There's no point to calling attention to myself anyhow." 

"I see," observed Dumbledore, and smiled at the sight of a little Matt being entertained by the women at the table. "I see your charge is already being mothered. It has been a long time since we have had children this small at Hogwarts. A true joy, children." 

Alex groaned. "I hope he won't turn out to be a spoiled brat at this rate." 

"I rather doubt it," said Dumbledore. "Children crave love and attention, but this can be shown in a disciplinary way, as well. To neglect this would be to neglect the child." 

Ryan came over at that moment. "Congrats, Alex! See, I told you you'd be perfect for the job. You're starting Monday, yeah?" 

"Thanks," said Alex. "Yeah, I could start teaching day after, if you want. All my lesson plans are done already."  

"Really?" asked Ryan. "Wow. No, I wouldn't mind at all. The sixth years ruined my best clothes this morning, and I wanted to go see Christina tonight." 

"I don't think Madam Rosmerta will mind," said Alex. "Is she working tonight?" 

"Nope," said Ryan. "I'm taking her to Diagon Alley to eat out tonight. Hopefully I'll get all the stains out by tonight." 

"Go ask the house elves to help," Alex suggested. "I'm sure they would know." 

"Great idea!" Ryan's eyes lit up. "I'll do that right away. Thanks, Alex." 

"No prob," he said, and motioned to McGonagall he wanted his nephew - son - back. As soon as the little boy was in his lap, he immediately began bouncing up and down. "Hello Matt-Matt, so why are you so excited today?" 

"Probably because he knows his uncle just finished his exams," suggested McGonagall. "He's such a bright little boy." 

Alex chuckled at the fond tone in her voice. "Just like his uncle, then?" 

"Ego, Mr. Potter!" commented McGonagall, but a small smile graced her lips.

"Say hi to Professor McGonagall, Matt," said Alex. 

"Oh, he knows us all by our first names," said McGonagall. As if in agreement, Matt at that moment spoke. "Aun' Minwa!" 

"I see," said Alex. "So say hi to Headmaster Dumbledore." 

At that moment, Matt climbed from Alex's lap into Dumbledore's, and began to play with his beard. Dumbledore chuckled. "Hello, Matthieu." He transfigured a cup into a rubber duck, and handed it to the child. Immediately, the little boy began an incoherent conversation with the toy.  

"So where is Christopher?" asked McGonagall.

"He had to go back to France," Alex fibbed. "He'll be back in February, he said. Something about a rare magical item."

"Ah, I see," said McGonagall.

"He sent his regards, though," said Alex hurriedly, sensing a bit of hurt on his professor's part. 

McGonagall smiled, and changed the subject. "So what do you plan to do the rest of the evening?"

"I was planning to take Matt out after dinner for ice cream at Fortescue's," said Alex. "And then tidy up some of my stuff in preparation for teaching on Friday." 

"I see...but isn't it too cold for ice cream?" asked McGonagall, but she smiled when Alex shook his head. "Kevin is a bit on the lenient side. I rarely have trouble with the fifth to seventh years. In fact, some of them are the most dedicated." 

"I shall keep that in mind," said Alex, thanked everyone, and excused himself from the table, carrying Matt.  

The child was excited, pulling Alex's hair. "Hey, you know how long it takes to get that hair into perfect shape?" 

Matt only giggled, and drooled into Alex's robes. "Gross, Matt! And those were my dress robes too!" 

He quickly cleaned them up, and rushed into his quarters to change, making sure that Matt's clothes were warm enough for a winter evening excursion. As soon as both of them were ready, he tossed the floo powder, and called out, "Diagon Alley!" 

He had made sure to cover Matt's mouth with his little scarf, and it had paid off. He remembered all the times he had stumbled out of the Floo, coughing from the ashes. Part of the reason he had bowled over back then was because he had been afraid of being bombarded by ashes upon arrival. Now that he had moved past such fears, his arrival through the Floo was graceful, though his Apparition was sketchy at best. 

"Ine wazooda!" shouted little Matt, and the people around him smiled. Alex merely dipped his head and walked into the street. 

"Okay, Matt, what kind of ice cream do you want?" Immediately, the little boy began to point at all the crazy coloured ones, like mango, pineapple, and even green tea. "Are you sure? Can't we just get chocolate?" 

The little boy shook his head. "All right, what about just mango and green tea?" 

There was a frown on the little face, and Alex sighed. "Fine, but you're going to have to eat it all." 

A jolly laugh broke out in front of him, and Alex looked up, startled. "Welcome to Fortescue's! My name is Florean Fortescue. How may I help you today?" 

"Hello, Mr. Fortescue," said Alex, remembering the kind man who had helped him with his homework and had given him free ice cream all those years ago. "I'm Alex Potter. It's nice to meet you." 

"You don't say!" said Fortescue, polishing one of the silver cups. "You're that attorney who put all those Death Eaters away. It's not often we get a celebrity in here." 

"Oh, I'm not a celebrity, truly, I'm not," said Alex. "And I really don't want to be."

"So great and humble, eh?" said Fortescue with a grin. "What would you and your son like today? It's free on the house." When Alex tried to protest, Fortescue quickly cut him off. "No, no, you've done us a wonderful service. I can only do so much, here."

"Well, the mango, pineapple, and green tea, child-sized, and I'll just have plain chocolate," said Alex. "Thanks, Mr. Fortescue." 

The man waved his thanks away, and set the two cups of ice cream on the counter. "There you go!" 

"Thanks," said Alex again, and he walked to a tiny table near the back of the shop. Seating Matt carefully into a booster seat, he began to feed him ice cream, glad that wizard ice cream would not melt until consumed. "Okay, Matt, this is mango ice cream. C'mon, say it." 

Matt giggled, and parroted, "Muno." 

"Good!" said Alex, and spooned out a section from pineapple. "Say, pine-app-le." 

"Py-a'le," said Matt, and dutifully swallowed the pineapple, grinning with delight at the sweet and sour taste. He squealed. "Py-a'le!" 

"Okay, here's another pineapple," said Alex, and soon all the pineapple was gone. "Let's try this one. Say green tea, baby, green tea." 

"Gwee' tee," said Matt obediently, and then started bouncing up and down so Alex couldn't give him the scoop of ice cream - so not so obedient, after all. 

"Oh, c'mon, Mattie," said Alex frustrated, after missing several times. He put it into his own mouth. "See? Mmm...it's so good." 

The bouncing stopped when Matt finally noticed Alex was eating his own ice cream instead of trying to get his attention. "Gwee' tee!" 

"Okay, okay," said Alex. "Here you go." 

Matt swallowed the green tea greedily, and opened his mouth for more. Alex shook his head. "No, what do you have to say first?" 

The little boy looked at him in confusion. "Gwee' tee!"

"Green tea, please," corrected Alex. "C'mon, Matt, say it."

"Gwee' tee, pwea'," repeated Matt. "Pwea'!"

"Good job, Matt," praised Alex. "I didn't think I was this smart when I was your age. If I'm not careful, you might end up being a Ravenclaw!" He joked. "That would be funny, I think, though no one's ever going to get the joke but me."

"You could tell me, if you like," said a voice behind him. Alex quickly turned around, but he had forgotten the spoon in his hand, and it...well, it flew and hit the person speaking. 

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Diane!" he exclaimed, jumping from his seat, and tried to wipe it off. 

She waved him away. "It's okay, nothing a simple spell can't fix." She calmly magicked it away, and Alex pulled out the opposite chair for her. "Thank you, Alex." 

"So what brings you here?" asked Alex, batting Matt's efforts to get into his hair.

"I always come here after work," said March. "So I suppose the more appropriate question is, what are you doing here?" 

Alex smiled. "I received my third Mastery today, and I thought I'd take my son with me to celebrate." 

"Congratulations!" exclaimed March, and laughed when she saw Matt's sticky little hands' deviousness. "Oh, let me take him." 

"Are you sure?" asked Alex. "He's getting to be a handful." 

"All little ones are, at this age," said March. "But boys, I've heard, are worse." 

"Gee, thanks, Diane," said Alex. "And he's not even two yet!" 

"He's speaking already?" asked March. "That's incredible!" 

"It is?" asked Alex. "All he's doing is imitating me." 

"Definitely going to be Ravenclaw, right, little boy?" asked March, tickling the child in her lap gently. "What's his name?" 

"Matthieu Henri," said Alex. "But Matt, for short." 

"Will you be teaching him French?" asked March, who by now had also gotten her own ice cream. "It's such a lovely language." 

"Really?" asked Alex, surprised. "Most people I've met've seemed to hate French people." 

"Like who?" she asked, and laughed. "I'm sure they weren't good people at all." 

Alex laughed. "Yeah, like Barty Crouch Sr. That was a joke." 

"Oh, yeah," said March, finishing up her ice cream. "I heard about that. You've just had a non-stop streak of bad luck, haven't you?" 

"I wouldn't say that," said Alex. "I mean, my life's a lot less exciting than it was back then." 

An eyebrow went up. "Really? What'd you do back then? Your life seems a heck of a lot more sensational than my life right now." 

"Well, I didn't catch Fenrir Greyback back in France for nothing," said Alex, grinning. "I lived life on the edge." 

"I can tell," said March. "What about your wife?" 

"She-she..." His voice caught. "She was with me every step of the way...until she had Matt, that is. She was killed in the line of duty several months ago." 

"I'm sorry," said March, and on an impulse, laid her hand on his. "Really, and truly, I do. My boyfriend...he was an Auror until he was bitten by a werewolf. I told him I'd stay with him, but you know, or...maybe you don't...but he was so bitter about it that he shut himself from everyone. He committed suicide two months after he was turned." 

"Oh, man," whispered Alex. "We're just broken people, aren't we?" 

"I suppose you could say that," said March, then cracked a weak smile. "Let's talk about more cheerful things. Like Christmas! Can you believe it's only a few weeks away?" 

"Don't even remind me," groaned Alex. "I haven't done my Christmas shopping yet, and God knows how I'm going to do it with Matt around." 

"Who normally looks after him when you go out?" asked March. "Or I could do it." 

"No, it's all right. I'm sure Minerva would be happy to," said Alex, shaking his head. "I swear the women are going to spoil Matt rotten. I've caught them feeding him candy at all hours of the day. Candy! Honestly, women." 

"Hey! I take offense to that!" joked March. "Besides, I think it's the grandmothers in them. Professor McGonagall definitely, I can see that." 

"Really?" Alex said as he finished his ice cream. "I couldn't. I mean, she seems really strict and everything around her students." 

"But she has to be, doesn't she?" argued March. "I mean, she is a professor, head of Gryffindor House, and the Deputy Headmistress. She has a responsibility to be strict." 

"I suppose you're right," said Alex. "Err, you do realize Matt's got your robes all dirty again, right?"

March laughed. "It's all right, I can clean it up." 

"I'm so sorry," said Alex. "I guess we Potters' are just clumsy." 

"Or natural mess-makers," teased March. "Well, I better get going. I have a big case tomorrow..." 

"Oh, sorry for keeping you," apologize Alex...again. 

"Is that all you can do? Apologize?" March laughed. "It's all right. Don't worry about it." As she turned to leave, she paused. "Oh, Ms. Black wants to meet you and thank you in person. She's at Black House right now. Do you know where that is?" 

"Black House?" asked Alex, reaching for Matt from March. "No, I don't think I do." 

"Oh," said March. "Well, it's right in London, actually." She quickly scribbled something on a scrap piece of parchment she had taken out of her pocket. "Here you go." 

"Tell her I'll be dropping by, yeah?" said Alex. "Thanks, though." 

"All right, I'll see you later then," said March, and she walked out the door, giving a quick wave before disapparating. 

********

After Alex had put a very hyper Matt to bed - finally - he sat behind his desk, running the prophecy and his dream over and over in his head. He needed to talk it through with someone, but who? There wasn't anyone he could trust - other than Merlin, but he was long gone, no pun intended - without them thinking he was a crazy kook or something.

Dumbledore was a good choice, if Alex could decide if he could trust him or not. Alex had idolized him in his youth, and now, it had left Alex with no real way of discerning the man's true colours. Yes, he was the representative of the Light. But...would he personally be concerned for Alex's welfare, or would he only use the information to his own advantage? 

McGonagall, though quickly becoming a good friend, would report everything to Dumbledore. So, she too, was out. What about Ryan? Or Filius? Immediately, he banished the thought. After all, he wasn't close to them at all. Besides, Ryan was with Madam Rosmerta tonight. Diane March had been a thought, but he didn't trust strangers very much, despite his friendly façade. Sirius and Remus already distrusted him. So they were out of the picture. 

Who was dependable, and able to hold a secret? He held his head in his hands. There was no one he could really trust, was there? Really, where was Merlin when you needed him? How he wished Ginny, Ron Hermione, all his old advisors...hell, even Snape were here. That was a thought. Snape. He had - in an uncharacteristically un-Snape-ish move - asked him what was wrong that morning. He could always ask for a Vow first... 

And the Snape of his timeline was very different from this one. Yes, he had hated Snape in his youth, but as the war gradually wore on, he had gained a lot of respect for the man. Added to the respect was the somewhat-existent camaderie between the two of them. Both of them felt like outsiders, being new to Hogwarts, as teachers at least. For Snape, he had been alienated by his status as a DE, whilst Alex had been alienated because he was a "foreigner". 

On an impulse, he got up from his chair, set the monitoring charm on Matt's room, and began to make his way to Snape's rooms. He knocked. "Come in!" 

Alex opened the door, and was surprised to see Snape in his full robes, brewing. "Severus, you really should be more imposing, with an ‘Enter' -" Alex lowered his voice in imitation of the past Snape. "Just to intimidate people." 

"And whyever would you think that is necessary?" asked Snape, carefully dicing. 

"I don't know," shrugged Alex. "Can I still take you up on this morning's offer?" 

"Is it urgent?" asked Snape, gently dropping in the sliced flobberworms in, and placing his potion into stasis. 

"I could help you brew, if you like," offered Alex. "I am a fair hand at this." 

"That fact is well known, Alex," said Snape. "But no, this potion is to stay in stasis for twenty-four hours. Come." 

Snape led Alex into his private quarters, and they sat in the living room, which, surprisingly, was not sparse at all. "So, Alex, what's on your mind? If it is romance, I can in no way help you there." 

"No..." said Alex. "If only it was as simple as that. I-I don't really know where to start?" 

"Wine?" asked Snape. "I find alcohol loosens the tongue." 

Alex chuckled. "That it does. And yes, please." 

As Snape poured the wine, Alex gave a nervous cough. "Severus, can you promise never to tell anyone what I'm about to tell you?" 

He gave Alex a sharp look. "You haven't committed any terroristic attacks, have you? I am morally obligated to report those." 

"No, no," said Alex. "It's something more important." 

"Oh, really," said Snape, sipping from the wine goblet. "So tell me." 

"Well..." said Alex. "You know the last prophecy?" 

Snape paused, and looked cautiously at him. "What prophecy?"

"The one you overheard," said Alex. "Made by the witch in the tower, Trelawney."

"How do you know this?" asked Snape, who had taken his wand out. "It's a closely guarded secret -" 

"Relax," said Alex, and Snape sat back down. "You know I'm not evil. Wild magic, remember? Anyways...there's a new prophecy." 

"In what relation is it to the other one?" asked Snape. 

"It overrides the other one," said Alex grimly. "And...it involves me." 

"Are you sure?" asked Snape. 

"I went to the Department of Mysteries and picked up that danged ball," said Alex. "If it wasn't me, I'd have gone mad already." 

Snape nodded. "And you require assistance in dealing with this...predicament." 

"And that's just saying it lightly!" exclaimed Alex, and thrusted the piece of parchment into Snape's hands. "Read that, and then tell me I don't have a problem." 

Scanning it quickly, Snape put it down, said, "Are you sure you are the one? You do fit several of the characteristics, especially the ‘solitary figure with child of foretold might' and the ‘Marked' bit. You are marked with the power of wild magic..." 

"There's more, I'm afraid," said Alex grimly. "For one, I'm the only person who understands this prophecy at all." 

"And what led you to this conclusion?" asked Snape, interested. He leaned back, one arm on the armrest, lightly swishing his wine. 

"Can you swear to me that you will never tell anyone of this?" Alex asked, pleading. "Please? It means life or death to me." 

"I suppose you are trustworthy enough," replied Snape, and he swore a magically binding oath. When it was over, Alex began to talk. 

"I'm not from France," he said. "I'm from here, but not here. Heck, I'm supposed to be Matt's age right now."

Snape looked at him, with his eyebrow raised, silent. 

"I'm a time-traveller," said Alex. "Well, an alternative dimension traveller...something like that. Except my dimension doesn't exist anymore. I destroyed it when I came back in time." 

Snape was intrigued. "Was the future terrible?"

"Oh, yeah," said Alex. "You died, Dumbledore, McGonagall, the Weasley family, pretty much everyone...all dead. I was the only one left." He took a breath. "Oh, and that idiot, Fudge. How he survived I'll never know." 

"So the Dark Lord came back," mused Snape. "I suppose I was the spy again?"

"Yes," said Alex. "And the Second War was even worse than the first, from what I heard from the older generation." 

"The older generation?" asked Snape. 

"I am, or rather, was Harry Potter," said Alex, showing Snape his scar - which had been moved to just above his heart previously when his appearance had been changed. "Yes, I know, the son of your hated enemy." 

"And I befriended you," said Snape calmly. "Ironic, how the world works. You are the very opposite to your father, I have to say. More like your mother, I'd judge." 

"Ironic your other self didn't agree at all," said Alex, chuckling. "He used to take off points from Gryffindor just because I looked like my father." 

"You certainly do not look like him now. Perhaps that is what helped," said Snape. "How did you change your appearance?" 

"Oh, Merlin did that," said Alex, shrugging. "Ever wonder why my background is so flawless? Yeah, Merlin did all that."

"M. Erlin," said Snape. "Clever."

"Moving on..." said Alex. "I thought I stopped Voldemort from rising again. I've destroyed all his Horcruxes -" 

"At this point, I rather thought that there would be little in your story that could startle me," said Snape dryly. "I find I am mistaken, yet again."

"I do that to people," said Alex, shrugging. "The only one left is in the possession of Kreacher, Regulus Black's house elf. By the way, he wouldn't be the one who recommended Diane March to Narcissa Black, would he?"

"That would certainly make sense," said Snape. "Narcissa and Regulus have always been close. I had always thought Regulus had died a coward. Thank you for telling me." 

Alex shrugged. "He sounds like a good man. I wish I had known him...Sirius used to always talk about him." His face took on a pained expression. "Sirius died in my fifth year, after being stuck in Azkaban for twelve years. He was one of the first to die...and all because of my stupid mistake. I'll never forget the smile of Bellatrix Lestrange's face as she pushed my godfather into the Veil..." 

Snape made a noncommittal noise. "Any relevance to the prophecy?" 

"Don't you want to know any background information?" asked Alex lightly, though his heart was anything but. "I'm getting there. Remember Peter Pettigrew?" 

"He betrayed the Potters," Snape's voice caught. "But if it weren't for me..." 

"Forget about it," said Alex. "I couldn't save them either. Trust me, I tried. Apparently, though, their deaths were one of those epic cannot-be-changed-ever events. Anyways, Pettigrew came back fourth year and cut his own hand off to revive Voldemort. He was given the silver hand as a reward." Alex looked at Snape. "You getting all of this?" 

Snape nodded. "So he's the ‘rat, of silver paw of past undone'. And what of the ‘two diminutive helpers, doubled'?" 

"Dobby and Cribsy," said Alex. "I think. They're the only ones with doubles. And they're tiny, besides." Snape looked at him in confusion, and Alex clarified. "Malfoy house elves." 

"Ah," Snape replied. "Merlin must be the mentor...the blind?" 

"I think that's everyone in general," said Alex. "No one wants to believe that Voldemort is coming back. Or maybe there is a blind person. I'm not sure."

"Or perhaps they are blind to you," suggested Snape. "You technically don't exist, yet they accept you." 

"Or that," agreed Alex. "And the fourth stanza is how Voldemort will come back. Though...I don't know how he'll obtain the blood of Salazar Slytherin."

"He won't have to," said Snape. "Does he have any living relatives?" 

"Morfin Gaunt...his uncle," said Alex. "He's in Azkaban." Then it dawned upon him. "Wait, if we can keep Morfin safe, then he won't ever be able to rise!" 

"And there are no other relatives?" asked Snape. "No other heirs of Slytherin?" 

"Not that I know of," said Alex. "But Dumbledore would know best." He paused. "But when I got rid of the Horcrux, I could still speak in Parseltongue. Oh, boy." 

"Salazar Slytherin was not the only Parselmouth in history," said Snape. "Nor were his descendants. But perhaps to be sure, you should go for an inheritance test at Gringotts. They will be able to tell you." 

"But that would definitely explain why the Sorting Hat wanted me in Slytherin," said Alex. "I would've been torn to bits if I had gone to Slytherin." 

"Perhaps," said Snape. "Slytherins are ruled by ambition. If you have power, they will respect you." 

Alex shrugged. "I was only a mediocre student until I realized that all my subjects had relevance in the war." 

Snape laughed. "Certainly true. What is our plan of action?" 

"We should go down to the Chamber of Secrets. Voldemort may have stored his own blood in stasis there. I remember nasty bits of his work down there the last time I went. The basilisk at this point shouldn't be under his control, so I think it'll be all right." 

"Basilisk?" asked Snape, his eyes alight. 

"Did I mention it was over fifty feet in length?" asked Alex. "And no, you can't kill it, unless it's hostile. I don't believe in pointless killing." 

"Their potential in potions ingredients!" exclaimed Snape. "We'd be rich beyond belief!" 

"Funny, that," said Alex. "You didn't much care for it the last time ‘round. I don't think you even really believed me." 

"I won't believe you until I see this for myself," said Snape. 

"And we should bring mirrors," said Alex. "I'd rather be petrified than killed. But let's go this weekend. You have classes tomorrow, don't you?" 

"Not yet," said Snape. "I don't start until the New Year, but Slughorn has requested that I be in at least one class per day." 

"Well, why don't you come with me to see Ms. Black?" asked Alex. "I don't know her at all, and it'd be great if you could introduce us. Saves the awkwardness, I think." 

"When shall we go?" asked Snape. 

"Err...I told Diane to tell her that I'd be dropping by," said Alex, embarrassed. "You don't mind Floo-calling her and asking if tomorrow's all right, do you?" 

"Not at all," said Snape. "I'll call her in the morning. You should get back to your son." 

"I placed a monitoring charm in his room," replied Alex. "He's fine. But yeah, it's getting late. I'll see you tomorrow." He got up from his place, and Snape walked him to the door. "And Severus...thanks." 

Snape just nodded, and he shut the door, but not before bidding Alex goodnight. 

********

Alex slept in Matt's room that night. At around one in the morning, though, all hell broke loose. 

"Waaaaaah!" Alex awoke to screams from the child and the extremely loud alarm charms he had forgotten to disarm once he had entered the room. As a result, he was slightly disoriented and took a few minutes to gather his bearings. 

Quickly he moved towards the child's bed, and scooped the child out. Seating himself back onto his own makeshift bed, he held him against his shoulder, all the while gently rocking him. "Shhhh, baby. Shhhh." 

But the child refused to quiet. "You know, I'd love to just bawl like you," said Alex, stroking the child's back. "But I don't have anyone to hold on to. You're so lucky you've got me." Alex laughed bitterly. "That almost sounded egotistical. But really, Matt, you're so lucky. I wonder why it didn't happen to me..." 

"But I guess I was the first of a series of Harry's to actually think about it," he continued. "Or maybe the other Harry's don't have it half as bad as I do. Wouldn't it be great, Matt, if we could one day visit them? But I don't know. Right now, we just have to keep our faces turned towards the future, and make sure you grow up nice and strong." He shifted Matt onto his other shoulder. "And one day, we'll have all sorts of awesome adventures, Matt. Maybe even save another dimension. Wouldn't that be neat?" 

By now, the child had stopped crying, and had drifted back to sleep. Alex didn't notice though, and kept talking. "And you'll have so many people who'll love you..." 

Eventually, he too, fell asleep, his arms wrapped around his child, painting a perfect picture of an imperfect family.

********

The next morning, he received confirmation that Narcissa would be "delighted to host him" and would be "expecting him in the afternoon for tea". 

"Are you sure it's going to be okay, Severus?" asked Alex, anxious. "Are my dress robes all right?" 

Snape gave him a "what are you, a dunderhead?" look on his face. 

"Okay, okay, I get it," said Alex, adjusting his robes. "Does Matt look all right?"

"I have very little doubt my godson will be dressed as appropriately," said Snape dryly. 

"Oh, right," said Alex. "Are we all set to go?" 

Snape crossed his arms, and looked at him. 

"Fine, I get it!" He strode towards the floo, and handed the powder to Severus. "Are you going first?" 

Alex landed perfectly on his feet, and found Snape and Narcissa Black waiting for him. He walked up to them, and Snape took little Matt. 

"Alexandre Potter, may I present to you, Narcissa Black?" Snape indicated to Narcissa. "Narcissa, this is Mr. Potter." 

Alex stepped forward, and reached for her hand, bowing to kiss it. "A pleasure to meet you, Ms. Black."He stepped back. "Please, call me Alex." 

"Very well, Alex, if you will call me Narcissa," said Narcissa warmly, in fact, so warmly for a second Alex forgot he was talking to Narcissa Mal - err, Black. "I have tea ready. Would you like to join me?" 

"That would be excellent, Narcissa," said Alex, and the three of them followed her into her into her dining room. Within, a splendid array of food awaited them. "This is incredible!"

Narcissa blushed. "I enjoy cooking on my own time, though my family had explicitly forbidden it when I was younger. Now that I am free, I find myself towards more home-oriented tasks. My house elves despise me for it though." She smiled. "But please, take a seat." 

Alex moved to seat her first, before seating himself. "I am glad to see you are doing well, Narcissa." 

She nodded apprehensively. "And I cannot thank you enough for that," she said. "For years I have petitioned for my freedom, but until my uncle passed away, I could do nothing. It is really due to my cousin's efforts, as well as yours and Diane's that I am able to walk without fear." 

"Anything for a lady as beautiful as you," said Alex, grinning. "Severus has told me you have a son?" 

"Oh, yes," she said. "He's napping right now, but when he awakes, he could keep your son?" Alex nodded. "Your son entertained." 

"I'm sure it will be the other way around," said Alex, laughing. "My son can be quite rambunctious." 

"Oh, no," interjected Snape, who sat across from him. "My godson can scream to high heavens. Narcissa spoils him overly much." He looked fondly at her. "But I suppose that can be said of any mother." 

 Narcissa, who was sitting beside him, slapped him lightly on the shoulder. "I spoil him? Perhaps you switched the nouns! Wasn't it you who bought him that toy he'd been crying for weeks?" 

"Oh, ho!" laughed Alex. "And the secret's out, Severus!" 

Snape looked sheepish. "It might have been me," he said. "But you, my lady, are the one who stuffs the child with sweets before sending him over into my care. Dear Merlin, the cries and shouts of Draco Black." 

"Sweet revenge, ‘tis all, my dear Severus," said Narcissa. "Slytherin I once was, and Slytherin I remain. But enough of my son.  Alex, tell me about your own. It must be terrible, raising him on your own. He looks like an adorable child." 

Alex glanced at the bouncing infant next to him. "Oh, yes, adorable, when the female professors at Hogwarts aren't stuffing him with sweets. He's a right terror then." 

"From what I gathered, Mother was more delighted with the girls she had," said Narcissa. "Must be because you lot are terribly primitive and noisy." 

Alex laughed. "I can agree to that. Diane and Madam Rosmerta, though, have told me boys become even worse by the time they're two." 

"Oh, I do hope not," said Narcissa. "I don't think I would be able to handle it very well. But Severus has been helping me lately. I really don't know what I would do without Draco's godfather." 

"I'll repeat that verbatim the next time you call me a ‘Great Bat'," said Snape dryly. 

Narcissa laughed. "But you knew that already, Severus." She turned to Alex. "And your wife...?" 

"Oh, she passed away several months ago," said Alex softly. "My Ginny...she was the bright light of my otherwise dismal life. She was with me on the field, and was killed in action going against one of Voldemort's" - here, the other two people flinched, but Alex didn't notice - "rogue forays into France." 

"Oh, my condolences," Narcissa said softly. "It's truly terrible when you lose the person you think you will spend the rest of your life with. I'm so terribly sorry." 

"Well," smiled Alex weakly. "It's funny, you know. She's been gone for so long...but the break in my heart is still there." 

"I don't think you'll ever get over it," said Narcissa. "When my father died, my mother was inconsolable. She wasn't happy...until the moment she passed away. I think because she knew she would be reunited with him." 

Alex looked at her. "Sometimes, I think that too...but having my son around has really kept me grounded. Without him...I'm sure I would've attempted some suicide mission by now." 

Severus looked at him. "Then it's good you have so many people looking after you, then. We wouldn't want you dying on us for no good reason."

Alex laughed half-heartedly. "No good reason?" 

"One never knows when his time has come," said Snape. "But if it is preventable, then it would be rather a waste if you were to transpire."

This time, Alex really laughed, and Narcissa laughed too, at Snape's dry wit. The rest of the afternoon was spent talking about Narcissa and Snape's old school days, Alex's own experiences on the field, and listening to cackles of glee in the next room. All in all, it was a terribly good visit.

To be continued...
End Notes:
†I know people will ask questions, so here's what prompted me to write what I did. I know many of you won't agree with me, but please, remember this is only an opinion. I'm not quite sure if it's my opinion yet…I'm still muddling around in it. And I do live in a free country. Don't flame me, please. It's a matter of respect.

If you have any questions, my pastors' blogs are: sploxa. blogspot .com and splat. rhccc .ca, minus all the spaces. I think they would be happy to answer any question of yours.

*******

Hello, peoples!

I'm so dreadfully sorry this is late. You can blame this on my pseudo-boyfriend. He's been distracting me for a month now. And the funny thing is, it almost sounds cheesy enough to make it into a romantic movie…but I digress.

So here's the poll right now:

Narcissa Black: 32 (SS/NB: 15)

Aurora Sinistra: 2

Rosmerta: 5

Amelia Bones: 3

Diane March: 29

Yes, Narcissa is winning…I don't understand your obsession with her. Honestly, until this chapter I hadn't even written her out. Yet here she is…I'll never understand you people ;)

If there isn't a sudden influx of people voting for Sinistra, Rosmerta, or Amelia, I will be pairing them with other people (you could probably already see that with Rosmerta/Ryan).

My next update won't be until after May 18th. My ten exams (anyone in IB? I can totally sympathize) will be occupying most of my time. I can tell you there will be a little of what's going on on Pettigrew's end. AND. They'll be tackling the giant snake underground. OOOOO (:

Hope you enjoyed that!

Until next time,

~shige

P.S. it wouldn't kill you to leave notes of encouragement along with your votes, would it?

P.P.S. Wish me good luck with my badminton tournament tomorrow! (:


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2081