Mistress of Slytherin by Lady Lanera
Summary: The Golden Trio tries to prove that Snape really is a vampire one day. However, they learn a secret about Snape that sends Harry and Snape's dislike for each other into a talespin through a series of events.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Time Travel, Vampires
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: Yes Word count: 30253 Read: 87130 Published: 05 Mar 2010 Updated: 06 Jun 2010
Father-Son Moment, But Don't Tell Snape It Was by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
Enjoy. :)

It had been a month since Harry learned the test results. His relationship with Snape hadn't reached the father-son stage yet, but they weren't at the kill each other stage either. For the entire month, Snape ignored Harry during class. There were no snide remarks about Harry's potions failing, and, boy, did they fail. There were no angry glares in his direction. There was just Snape doing his best to ignore Harry, and Harry didn't expect any different from the wizard.

Harry's mood was as gloomy as the weather. He glanced at the large stained glass windows in the Great Hall and watched the lightning flash. He had to strain to hear it over the loud noise of the other students, but he could hear the rain pelting loudly. It was going to be a terrific day for Quidditch.

"Hey, Mate, all ready to kill Ravenclaw today?" Ron said with a wide grin.

"Sure," Harry replied with little inflection. If he had to admit it, he didn't really feel like playing Quidditch anymore. He couldn't really explain why, though. It just was a bad feeling in his gut he guessed. He then sighed heavily before pushing around more of his breakfast.

"Harry, you're going to do—"

"I know. I know, Hermione. I'm going to be fine because it's in my blood." Harry then glanced towards his best friend. "But it's not really in my blood anymore, is it?" He instantly felt back when the witch glanced towards the floor. "I'm sorry, Hermione. I'm just being a git today."

"Mr. Potter," a cutting voice said behind Harry two seconds later, "A moment of your time?"

"Uh, sure, sir," Harry replied before slowly getting to his feet. He silently followed Snape out of the Great Hall and through a secret passage to their destination. It'd be the first time they spoke since learning the test results that stated that Snape was Harry's father. Harry had to admit that he was rather uneasy with Snape's quietness.

As soon as they reached the Astronomy Tower, the doors to the upper balcony locked behind them, though. Harry knew that they'd be speaking in private, and he had an idea what Snape would say. He watched the brief flutter of emotions on Snape's face. The man seemed to be thinking his words very carefully. Harry could wait until Snape was ready, which didn't seem to be long afterwards.

"I regret my actions in Madam Pomfrey's office. I should not have been so angry with you. Obviously, the news was not something you wished." Snape then sighed. "You must understand, though. As far as I recall, I was never intimate with Lily Evans so the results do not make sense. If I truly did as Syrene suggested and changed the past, I know of no reason why I would do such a thing and interject myself into that role. Your mother made her choice. While I admit I was not enthused by her choice, I would never do anything to risk your mother's happiness." Snape then shook his head slowly before running a hand through his hair. His dark eyes then held his gaze with Harry. "I cannot be what you want me to be, Mr. Potter. I…I have no experience in it. Therefore, I offer my sincerest apologies to you. A child should be with his flesh and blood, but I cannot do so. Continue to believe that James Potter is your father, Potter. With time, it will lessen and you will forget all this."

"I understand," whispered Harry, staring at the floor trying to hide his tears.

"Do not do that, Potter," Snape replied just as equally soft. "You have every right to show your emotions to me. Please do not close yourself off like I do."

"Why do you care?" asked Harry as he glanced at Snape. He was curious for the reply.

"I'm not completely heartless, Potter," Snape answered before running his fingers through his hair again. "While I do not wish to act in the role you wish me to be, I am willing to help you through your journey. As you know, I protect you. It is in my best interest to see you survive."

"So in other words, you won't be cheering for me today, but you will be making sure a bludger doesn't hit me," Harry said with a little laugh. When he saw Snape's curt nod, he felt his chest tighten. He was so close to having what he always dreamed about having. Only Snape didn't want it, though. Harry sighed heavily. He wouldn't force the wizard because he knew no good would come out of that.

"Yes, I will be watching you from the stands this afternoon. However, I cannot interfere with bludgers. It is against the rules for any professor to interfere. Bludgers unfortunately are part of the game and I believe your father thought them to be half the fun."

"Did you play Quidditch when you were at school, sir?"

"One game," Snape replied with a sigh. "It unfortunately was against Gryffindor."

"What happened?"

"Regrettably, I was trying to knock your father off his broom. I did not see the bludger that headed my way until after it struck me in the chest. After that game, I never took the field again."

"Did it hurt?"

"Of course it hurt," growled Snape. He then sighed before shaking his head. "I apologize. I failed to recall that you have yet to start a game. Yes, bludgers hurt, Potter. In fact, the bludger that struck me shattered my breastbone and fractured several ribs. I believe that as a result I had numerous internal injuries. So for a week, the matron at the time confined me to a cot in the Hospital Wing."

Harry winced and gulped back his fear. Oliver hadn't told him any of that. In fact, neither had the Weasley twins told him anything about serious injuries. He felt himself shake from a chill.

"Maybe I should go tell Wood that I quit."

"If you did, you would be forcing Gryffindor to forfeit their game to Ravenclaw," Snape replied. "While the decision rests solely with you, I would not recommend it. As much as it pains me to admit this, it would help you reclaim some of what you lost. Your father loved Quidditch. And from what I have seen in you thus far, you share that interest."

"But I could get hurt," Harry countered.

"Potter, knowing you, you could get hurt walking down the staircases. It would make no difference. Risk follows you around like a Bowtruckle. Quidditch is dangerous, yes. And you will definitely risk injury to yourself any given day, but I would think that it'd be something your foolish Gryffindor side would overcome in order to get to know your father better."

"You'll be watching?"

"Always," Snape replied.

"I guess I can live with it then." Harry then glanced at the sky. The game would be starting soon, and he still wasn't ready. Soon afterwards, he felt a cool tingle against his skin, which made him turn back. Snape's ebony wand was drawn and pointed at him. Glancing down at his clothes, he instantly noticed his Gryffindor Quidditch uniform. He then glanced up at Snape, only to find the man gone.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2094