Mistress of Slytherin by Lady Lanera
Summary: The Golden Trio tries to prove that Snape really is a vampire one day. However, they learn a secret about Snape that sends Harry and Snape's dislike for each other into a talespin through a series of events.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Time Travel, Vampires
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: Yes Word count: 30253 Read: 87109 Published: 05 Mar 2010 Updated: 06 Jun 2010
Syrene's Gift by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
Enjoy the extremely long chapter of select lines/scenes from every single book/movie in the series. :)

Inside Harry's battered mind, he saw images and heard thoughts of various people that didn't make a bit of sense. However, he watched each scene with utter curiosity and an open mind. When he then saw the familiar pale witch that he'd met several times, he knew precisely what he was dreaming. He was seeing the real timeline, not the one he was stuck in now. He sighed as she blended back into the mist, and the first scene appeared.

A younger Severus Snape who was probably about twenty-one stood in the rain staring at an old house that seemed familiar to Harry. The lanky wizard closed his eyes before sucking in a deep breath and walking into the house. Harry naturally followed, wondering what was affecting the usually unsettled man. When the two stopped in a badly damaged room that had only a crib in it, Harry's eyes widened. Snape had come to the house where Voldemort had killed Harry's parents.

"Evening, Severus," a tired Dumbledore spoke as he and McGonagall slowly walked into the room. The older wizard and witch were extremely somber while they took in the sight. "I did not expect to find you here this evening."

Snape didn't respond, though. He only kept his gaze with the spot on the floor in front of the crib. The man looked utterly lost and distraught for some reason. In fact, he appeared to be in his own little world not even registering that Dumbledore and McGonagall were in the room with him.

"Severus," Dumbledore repeated quietly.

"Kill me," Snape whispered. He then glanced towards Dumbledore and McGonagall. His eyes gave away the fact that he had given up on life. "Kill me, Albus. I have no reason to live anymore. Kill me so I can be with her again."

"You know that I will not, Severus," Dumbledore responded with a soft sigh. "The boy still lives, Severus. You can still protect him for her. That can be your reason."

"The boy…? The boy lives, but Lily doesn't?" Snape then angrily punched the wall. "I don't give a damn about the boy, Albus. I want Lily back! I want her alive! I don't care about him!"

"Minerva," Dumbledore quietly said, glancing towards the witch.

"Albus," she responded warningly before motioning towards Snape.

"He must see the child that he cares not for, my dear." A few seconds later, a small house elf popped in holding a small bundle wrapped in a blanket. The house elf quietly walked towards Snape and held the bundle out.

"No," Snape responded fiercely. "I do not care about that damn boy! Get him away from me!"

"Severus," Dumbledore said bitingly. "Take that boy in your arms and look at him!"

"You don't own me, Dumbledore!" growled Snape.

"Unfortunately, you are correct. I do not own you, Severus. However, Voldemort does."

"How dare you!" snarled Snape as he drew his wand and leveled it at Dumbledore.

"Albus," McGonagall exclaimed outraged.

"Take that child in your arms, Severus, and look at him. Then tell me you don't give a damn about him. If you do that, then I will leave you alone."

"Fine," Snape sneered as he snatched the bundle from the house elf's arms. He glanced down at the child and growled as he noticed the boy was waking. The moment the green eyes met onyx was the moment Dumbledore knew he had won. Harry could see the look of momentary triumph in his face.

"Well, Severus, do you give a damn about the child now?"

"He has her eyes," Snape responded softly.

"Yes." Dumbledore then glanced towards Minerva who understood instantly and gave the wizards their space. Glancing back towards the broken wizard, he drew in a breath. "Severus, the boy still needs someone to look out for him. I surely would do so, but you are a better protector than I am. Please, Severus. Protect the boy for his mother."

In response, Snape glanced down at the young child in his arms and said, "I, Severus Snape, swear on my Wizard's Oath to protect Harry Potter from the Dark Lord and his true followers."

Harry could feel the intense feelings from Snape. He didn't know if it was just another part Syrene allowed him to see or what. But Harry could hear Snape's thoughts clearly. It's not enough, Snape thought. No amount of promises I make would ever make up for what I did to this child. I have to do something. I have to make it right. Snape then closed his eyes before drawing in a deep breath.

"Pull out your wand," Snape replied before glancing from the small child to Dumbledore.

"Why?"

"I must make the Unbreakable Vow."

"Severus, you need not do anything so extreme."

"No, Albus, I must do this. I must tie myself to the boy's fate for Lily."

"If you are certain," Dumbledore asked. Snape curtly nodded. "Very well," he said before glancing towards the witch watching them. "Minerva will perform it." At the sight of the questioning glance from the witch, he sighed again. "Do not say anything. Just do this, Minerva." Dumbledore and Snape then clasped hands.

"Will you, Severus Snape, watch over Harry Potter as he grows up?"

"I will," Snape responded instantly. From McGonagall's wand came the tendrils of light, which slowly wrapped around Snape and Dumbledore's wrists.

"And will you, to the best of your ability, protect young Harry from harm?"

"I will." More tendrils of light enclosed around them before vanishing.

"Then it is done, Severus."

Harry could feel the remorse and guilt Snape gave off. He could also feel the man's heart breaking as he held the child. A few seconds later, he curiously watched Snape bend his head towards Harry's younger self and whisper in the child's ear. Harry had to crane his neck to hear Snape's words.

"I will not allow your mother's sacrifice die in vain, my child."

Before Harry could see any more of that scene, the surroundings blurred again. When the setting reappeared, Harry now stood next to an older version of Snape who was watching a Quidditch match. Harry could easily identify the teams playing. It was the Slytherin vs. Gryffindor match. His eyes narrowed at this finding because he knew he hadn't been at the game. Yet, there Harry was, flying around the Quidditch pitch in his crimson uniform.

Harry's mouth dropped seconds later when he saw his broom going psychotic. When he saw himself hanging on by one hand, he gulped. He then glanced towards Snape. His eyes narrowed on the wizard because the man was mouthing something fluidly. Harry tried to focus on the words, but he couldn't catch the words. He then glanced towards himself again and then back at Snape. Was Snape trying to kill him?

It was then that Harry saw Quirrell sitting behind Snape. Something in the man's eyes made Harry know that it wasn't Snape trying to kill him, but instead the purple turbaned DADA professor. When Harry glanced back at Snape, he watched a small wand poke out from underneath Snape's legs. His eyes narrowed. He had seen that particular wand somewhere.

When two seconds later Snape's robes caught on fire, Harry knew. He caught the brief flash of bushy hair retreating back into the darkness of underneath the bleachers. He watched Snape stand up and attempt to put the fire out. And Harry grinned when Snape shoved the man behind him back, which knocked Quirrell off the back of the bleachers. Glancing back at his self, he nodded as he quickly swung back onto his broom before taking off again. He wasn't crazy. It was supposed to have been Quirrell!

The scene changed again, though. This time his surroundings were a dark chamber. A sparkling jeweled silver sword, a black diary, a young girl that Harry thought was familiar, and a giant snake were all scattered around a slightly older version of himself. Harry's eyes narrowed on the wound to his forearm from where it looked like something bit him. He could feel this version of himself dying.

"Soon everyone will learn of my return," a young man in Slytherin robes said as he stood over this version of Harry. "And you, Harry Potter, will be nothing but a memory."

Harry watched himself grab a giant tooth from next to him before stabbing the black diary. Harry's eyes narrowed. What possible good would that do? However, the diary instantly started to spurt ink as if the diary had been alive. Harry didn't have time to focus on what was happening because the scene quickly changed once more.

"Nice doggy," an older version of Ron whimpered as he slowly back up. "Nice doggy!"

Harry glanced toward Hermione, Ron, and himself. He caught the blood on Ron's leg. Something had bit his friend. However, Harry quickly glanced back at the werewolf that stalked towards the three huddled Gryffindors.

"There you are, Potter!" Snape sneered as he emerged from a hole underneath the Whomping Willow. The man didn't look very happy. However, the second the creature behind Snape growled, Snape whirled around with wide eyes. He instantly stepped in front of the three badly frightened children and held his arms back to hold them behind him.

Harry screamed the exact second Hermione did when the werewolf slashed its paw at Snape. The werewolf struck the wizard in the chest and sending him to the ground, which made the other three too. Harry glanced from the four towards the werewolf. However, when a scruffy dog appeared and attacked the werewolf, Harry glanced back at the four. He didn't know what was happening. Who was the dog and where did it come from?

"Sirius!" the older version of Harry yelled suddenly.

Harry then glanced towards the dog and werewolf that were disappearing into the forest. Who was Sirius? He couldn't focus on that very long because the version of himself quickly took off after the dog and werewolf. What in the world was going on?

"Come back here, Potter!" yelled Snape as he held back Hermione and Ron.

The surroundings blurred again before the office of the DADA professor appeared. Harry glanced from Snape, Dumbledore, McGonagall, himself, and the man in the chair. He watched again as Snape pulled his older version back from danger. The man in the chair had started to lunge for Harry.

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours," the man sneered before laughing hysterically. The man then pulled up his left sleeve, which revealed a dark tattoo of a skull with a snake coming out of it.

Harry felt a chill travel down his spine at the sight. However, he glanced back and watched Dumbledore roughly push up his older version's sleeve. Someone had carved something into Harry's arm with a knife. He winced at the sight before glancing back at the unknown man.

"You know what that means, Dumbledore, don't you? He's back. Lord Voldemort has returned."

Snape's office then appeared as the black mist slowly retreated. Harry glanced around. He and Snape were the only ones in the office, but Snape had his wand out. He glanced at himself and shook his head. He looked like he had just had an intense Quidditch practice. Sweat covered his shirt, and he was panting horribly.

"You're just like your father," Snape sneered as he quietly retreated to his desk. "Lazy, arrogant," he continued.

"Don't say a word against my father!" his older self yelled back standing from the chair he had rested in previously.

"Weak," Snape sneered again.

"I'm not weak!"

"Then prove it!" yelled Snape as a strange emotion crossed his face. "Control your emotions! Discipline your mind!" It appeared that Snape had a personal interest in order to see Harry succeed.

When Harry saw Snape fluidly enter his casting stance, he felt the urge to cast a spell back at the man. However, Harry didn't. He guessed whatever he'd cast for a spell wouldn't work anyway. He glanced from Snape and back to himself. They both looked drained and at end wits with each other.

"Legilimens," Snape said casting his spell.

A series of quick images flashed before Harry's eyes, which truthfully made him feel sick. However, when the images stopped with him hugging a man with wavy hair, he narrowed his eyes.

"Sirius," that Harry said embracing the man.

"I may vomit," Snape drawled. The office quickly came back into view, and Harry felt himself panting right alongside his older self. These images were very powerful.

"Stop it," his older self said.

"Is this what you call control?" responded Snape with a look of disappointment.

"We've been at it for hours if I could just rest."

Harry felt his heart race when Snape lunged at his older self. The wizard didn't appreciate his request. Then again, Snape was a rather demanding individual. His older self should have expected that.

"The Dark Lord isn't resting," Snape sneered as the dark mist settled in and altered the scene.

Harry felt his chest tighten at the sight of Hagrid's hut engulfed in flames as the scene appeared. However, sounds of shouting and spells whizzing past quickly caught his attention. He watched Snape, looking as menacing as always, stalk towards this Harry.

"You dare use my own spells against me, Potter? It was I who invented them—I, the Half-Blood Prince. You'd turn my inventions on me, like your filthy father, would you? I don't think so—NO!" Snape roared as he knelt beside Harry. He easily kicked Harry's wand far away from him.

"Kill me then. Kill me like you killed him, you coward—" screamed this Harry.

"DON'T CALL ME A COWARD!" roared Snape like a feral creature.

Harry's eyes narrowed on the scene. Who had Snape killed? Why was he so angry with the man? What had happened to them this term? He glanced around and saw a scruffy looking man shoving Draco down the hill towards the front gates. He then glanced back at Snape and himself, but the annoying dark mist quickly changed the surroundings into a forest near a lake.

Harry instantly noticed the bright white doe that was looking at his older self. It was a remarkable sight. He felt his heart constrict as he remembered something Professor Sinistra had told him once. His mother's Patronus, whatever that was, was a doe. Could this be showing him that his mother would return to him?

Harry received his answer a few seconds later when he saw Snape peaking from out behind a tree staring at his older self. The older wizard's ebony wand was out as he led the white doe towards the frozen edge of the lake. The man lingered for a few moments, which Harry watched with curiosity. The man looked horribly aged and tired now. Harry could also see remorse and longing in the man's eyes as he stared at Harry's older self who was pulling out a glittering silver sword from the water. The black robed wizard then turned and fled away. Harry guessed that Snape left because he had completed his mission. He had noticed that the man didn't like to remain in one spot for too long.

The scene quickly changed again, and Harry's eyes narrowed. He was now in an old run down building of some kind. The wind blew horribly through it and made it creak.

Harry's mouth dropped as he saw the blood draining from the wound to Snape's neck and the older version of himself kneeling next to Snape. He could feel the darkness settling into Snape's mind, and the fact the man was not at all scared to die. That last part scared Harry the most. Harry always thought death was something to fear. How could anyone, least of all Snape, just give up?

"Look…at…me!" rasped Snape as he held Harry's older self's eyes.

Harry instantly could feel the relief in Snape as the two pairs of eyes met, onyx and emerald. Snape seemed to be at peace with his death. A strange silvery, for the lack of a better word, thing then leaked out of Snape as the man lie dying. Harry's older version of himself quickly bottled it up, which made Harry's eyes narrow. What was that strange stuff? The scene changed once more, and this time Harry was in the Great Hall.

"Don't you get it, Riddle? Snape was never yours to begin with! The moment you started hunting my mum was the moment you lost him forever! Oh, he beat you at your own game, Riddle!"

"You lie, Potter," a snake-like man sneered as his red eyes darted around the room wildly. "Severus was mine! He told me himself that there were purer women he could have been with than your Mudblood mother!"

"You never saw his Patronus then, did you, Riddle? His Patronus was the same as my mum's was. It was a doe, and it remained one until you killed him. He loved her more than anything before in his life, and that love was what protected me all these years. You lost, Riddle. You are the one who will lose everything in the end!"

"Avada Kedavra," the red-eyed man yelled as he pointed his wand at Harry's older self.

"Expelliarmus," his older self yelled back. The spells rebounded off each other. The green jet of light slammed against the wizard named Riddle.

Harry instantly felt a satisfying feeling wash over him coming from his older self. It was over. He had defeated whoever this wizard Riddle was. He had won. Harry then felt eyes on him, which made him whirl around to see who it was. To say he was shocked was an understatement. Hidden in the darkness of the Great Hall was Severus Snape. The man looked like hell, but he was there.

Someone had torn off a part of Snape's robes and tied it around his neck in order to control the bleeding. He leaned heavily against the far wall. He was the whitest Harry had ever seen him, and he looked like he could collapse at any moment. However, there was warmth in Snape's eyes now as he stared at Harry's older self. Not being able to identify properly what the emotion was on Snape's face, Harry guessed that (could it be?) pride in the older wizard's face.

Harry then watched Syrene slowly walk out of the mist and hold her hand out to Snape. She looked grave as ever. Harry quietly walked over to them when he noticed that she was speaking rather hushed to Snape. The rest of the people in the Great Hall didn't seem to notice at all that Snape and Syrene were there.

"The boy survived, Severus," Syrene whispered as she held him upright.

"Obviously," Snape drawled in a rasp.

"But look around. Look at all the faces of the dead. Look how much he lost because of his survival." Syrene then sighed. "He lost his parents, the ones who would have shown him love and affection. The Muggles he lived with showed him none of that. They only showed him brutality and hatred. Unfortunately, the deaths of his parents cannot be undone, but the others can, Severus."

"I was…was to be one of them," Snape rasped before groaning quietly.

"Yes, and you will die." Syrene then glanced towards the bodies in the Great Hall. "Cedric Diggory, you taught him, did you not?" Snape coughed harshly, but nodded. "You could prevent his death so that Mr. Diggory lived a long life."

"It…it's not my…my decision," Snape responded groaning again.

"Sirius Black, a man who tortured you all throughout your years at Hogwarts," Syrene said. "His death was particularly brutal, wasn't it? In fact, I believe during your lessons with the boy you saw how it affected him. His godfather murdered before his very eyes. It is a shame," she said shaking her head slowly. "Forgive me, Severus, but it is a shame that you would allow petty grudges from your childhood days to harm the boy."

"Again, not…not my decision," Snape rasped before coughing harshly again.

"Albus Dumbledore, a man you loved like a father when your own could not love you," Syrene whispered before scoffing. "The man used you for his own agenda. He made you spy at great risk to yourself. He raised that boy for slaughter, and you only learned about it before you were to kill him. Convenient for him, I would say," Syrene drawled. "He was your second master, was he not, Severus? He may never have branded you as Riddle did, but you were his. I wonder if you had to do it again if you would still choose Dumbledore's side." Snape coughed harshly once more and groaned as he gasped for breath. It was getting harder to breathe. "I would not blame you if you allowed his death to remain."

"No," Snape rasped harshly. "It…it is not my…my decision to choose who lives and who dies."

"Charity Burbage, Alastor Moody, the boy's owl Hedwig," Syrene rhythmically said in rapid fire. "Bathilda Bagshot, the house elf named Dobby, Vincent Crabbe, Remus Lupin, Dora Tonks, Colin Creevy, Fred Weasley, need I go on, Severus? All of their deaths could have been prevented."

"Not… my decision," Snape rasped.

"You saw the boy's home life with the Muggles entrusted with his care, I believe, yes?" He nodded curtly. "I wonder how you could sleep at night knowing that Lily's son was being treated no more than a house elf in the Malfoy's care. You heard no doubt that lout of a Muggle man call the boy a freak. Yes?" she asked. "And that did not enrage you, Severus?"

"I…I could do…do nothing to help him," Snape replied with short gasps of air. "Blood protections," he clarified with a deathly rasp.

"You could do a hell of a lot more than what you did, Severus," Syrene snapped. "But you chose not to because you allowed your hatred of the boy's father to prevent you to see the boy himself. I believe in fact your wise white wizard Dumbledore himself told you numerous times to look beyond the boy's physical attributes and see that he was not his father." She then shook her head angrily when Snape closed his eyes. "The only reason you are alive now is because I am keeping you alive, Severus. You have an opportunity to give the boy a chance for a better life than this one. You have a way to prevent this slaughter from ever occurring. Yet you do not take it because of whom the boy's father is, something the boy cannot control. If you had been the boy's father, Severus, then what would you have done? Would you have done what was necessary to protect him at all cost as your oath swore to? Would you have watched over him as if he were your own? Or would you do as Dumbledore did and raise that boy as a pig for slaughter?"

Snape fell to his knees then and grabbed his neck. He gasped for air as it became harder to breathe. Harry could feel that this death wasn't so peaceful for Snape. He wanted desperately to cast several of those spells that he had seen the others use, but he didn't have his wand with him. He was as helpless as Snape was.

"You could have it, you know," Syrene whispered quietly. "You could have your son with Lily. All you need to do is say the word, Severus."

"Not…my…decision," rasped Snape coughing violently. He then took a breath gasping for air.

"I'm giving you that decision, though, Severus. You could ensure he has a loving home instead of the prison Dumbledore forces him to live in. You could ensure he'd be your son with Lily, not James Potter's son. You could ensure that the Prince line continues. Severus, I'm giving this decision to you."

"I…don't…want…it," he said gasping.

"Look at that boy, Severus, and tell me that he doesn't deserve happiness. Tell me that he doesn't deserve a warm family to love him. Tell me that he doesn't deserve to live without thinking all those deaths were his fault. Severus, I want you to look at that boy. Look at him!" Snape groaned quietly, but did glance towards the older version of Harry. "Now tell me you don't love him."

"I…" Snape's voice trailed off before he hung his head and shook softly.

"Severus, she saw the best in you when you only saw the worst. Years ago, you made a mistake. Don't keep paying for that mistake. Allow yourself this gift."

"She…chose Potter, though," Snape whispered.

"Yes, she did, but you were always in her heart, Severus."

"I can't," he rasped. "I can't make that decision. She chose him."

"Lily Evans and James Potter will die, Severus. No one can prevent James or Lily's deaths."

"Why?" cried Snape. "Why must she die?"

"So that Harry may live, Severus," Syrene responded somberly. "You saw how her sacrifice helped Harry defeat Riddle. Without her death, no one could stop Riddle from destroying everything that we hold dear in this world. Severus, I know that you would do anything to keep her alive. It is noble and brave, but it is also foolish."

"If I changed his lineage, I would be dishonoring her," Snape said.

"No, Severus, you wouldn't. She would never know that her son's father is in fact not James Potter. No one would know—"

"Then I would be changing nothing," Snape interrupted before coughing again.

"You would be changing everything. The boy would have his father, someone who loved him. Severus, no one would know until the time was right when you were both ready to tell the world of your familial relationship. Severus, Lily would never know, though. You would not create any strife between Lily and James."

"She…would curse me when she learned of it," Snape rasped.

"I believe she'd curse me more than you, Severus," Syrene responded with a pleasant smile. "Once she and James saw how you care for Harry, then I believe they would accept your decision."

"I can do nothing for him now," Snape somberly said.

"Perhaps not now, but before you can," she replied. "All it takes, Severus, is your word."

"He would…learn of this then?"

"Yes."

"I love Lily, but I cannot dishonor her," Snape responded before closing his eyes.

"Then the boy will be raised like slaughter yet again, and all that he holds dear to his heart will die. He will lose everything, Severus. All because you won't make the decision," she said coldly.

Harry inhaled deeply. He wanted to yell encouragement to Snape for not deciding to do it, but he knew that Snape sometime did give in. The scene then dissolved and Harry found himself in a nursery. He instantly recognized his toddler version of himself sitting in the crib. He then saw Snape and Syrene.

"Why…why did you bring me here?" Snape gasped. He appeared to have become weaker with time, but Harry could tell that this scene was probably only a few minutes after what he had just seen.

"You made the Unbreakable Vow in this very nursery years ago, Severus. Look at that small helpless child," she said pointing at the toddler watching them with curiosity. "Tomorrow, he will lose his parents forever. Tomorrow, Voldemort will come into this very house here and murder them before trying to do the same to this child. Look at him, Severus. Look into that sweet face of this very child of your best friend. Tomorrow night, after Voldemort murders this child's parents, Dumbledore, thinking he is doing what is best for the child, will leave him on the front step of Petunia and Vernon Dursleys' house. The boy will live in a cupboard for ten years. The Dursleys will starve, yell, beat, and treat him like crap for years without anyone raising a hand back. When he gets his letter, they will try to outrun it just so that no one ever finds out the degree of abuse the boy suffered while under their care. As the years progress, he will start to believe that bad things happen to him because he is a bad person. He will believe naively that all the deaths, in fact the entire slaughter, that occurs is his fault. Tell me now, Severus. Do you still believe it dishonors Lily's memory by not caring for her child?"

"What must I do?" Snape rasped softly.

"Your blood must mix with his. Then repeat the following phrase: In loco pater," she instructed.

Harry watched Snape unravel the bandage around his neck. He instantly winced at the sight of the wound. It didn't look any better than it had before. Slowly, he watched Snape carefully pick up his toddler self. The man gently cut the child's palm and immediately whispered hushed words of sympathy to the crying child. Harry could tell that Snape, this Snape, did love him in the end. He could see the pain in the man's face at hurting the small child. Tears stung Harry's eyes as he watched the scene in silence. His younger toddler self had put his little arms around Snape's neck as if to hug the man.

"In loco pater," Snape whispered embracing the child tenderly against his chest.

Harry then watched a bluish light move from Snape into the small child. A few seconds later, Snape gently set the child back into his crib before carding the small boy's unruly hair.

"Goodbye, my son," Snape whispered. The dark mist took over, and Harry was back in darkness.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2094