When the Boat Comes In by Morgana
Summary: Darkness swallowed Severus's childhood and is threatening to engulf Harry's. Will the man recognize himself in the boy before history repeats itself? [Generally short chapters due to (almost) daily updates]
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Eileen Prince, Hermione, Petunia, Tobias Snape, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: Ship to Shore
Chapters: 60 Completed: Yes Word count: 109493 Read: 483718 Published: 07 Mar 2010 Updated: 16 May 2010
Interlude 5: Daddy Wouldn't Buy Me A Cobra by Morgana

To: L. Malfoy
From: D. Malfoy

10th November

Dear Daddy,

Harry returned to Hogwarts this evening. I must admit that was a little nervous about seeing him again: although, having been raised as a Malfoy, introductions do not fluster me in the slightest, I wasn’t quite sure how I should behave with Harry. I know that you would tell me to act as if everything was normal but it's really rather difficult to perform when one's amongst one's closest friends. I felt sure that I would sound so artificial and that it would be really awkward.

However, when Harry came through the door he had the most beautiful snake around his neck, a lovely little Ball Python called ‘Reggie’, and it felt the most natural thing in the world to go up and say hello to the snake and start talking to Harry about him. In no time we were all sitting around the fire, stroking Reggie and talking about what we did over half term. Harry seems so much happier, which is a relief as I was really quite concerned about him for a while. Professor Snape taught him to disarm, cast a shield and even summon wandlessly! I’m so jealous but, if anyone deserves a nice holiday, it was Harry. Can I invite him over for Christmas?

By the by, I was wondering whether, as I didn’t get a present for being inducted into Slytherin, I might be allowed to have a snake? Professor Snape won’t mind me having one as a familiar, I’m sure; Harry does have a snake, after all and I expect little Reggie could use some company. And, really, it’d be a great shame if a Potter (whose family is, as you know, traditionally Gryffindor) has a snake while his Malfoy best-friend doesn’t: Malfoys have always been Slytherins and, to keep the side up, I really should have a snake familiar too. I was thinking of a King Cobra: they’re very intelligent and would be a great bodyguard for me and Harry. (His Reggie is only little and non-venomous as well, which I think is a terrible oversight considering his situation. Of course, as Harry Potter’s best friend I might also be danger so, really, it would only be sensible to get me a King Cobra.)

Continued:

Oh dear, Harry just tried to feed a mouse to Reggie; as it was dead, Harry had to hold it out to Reggie and, when Reggie lunged, Harry jumped back and the mouse fell behind him. And he stood on it!!! (Lucky that it was already dead, really.) I, of course, helped by cleaning up the poor squashed thing and cast a cleaning charm on Harry’s shoes. I’m not at all squeamish so, really, I think I’d make an excellent snake handler.

With fondest regards to Mummy,

Love Draco.

oOoOo

To: Draco Malfoy
From: Daddy

11th November

Dearest Draco,

Over the last eleven years, your mother and I have grown very fond of you. I suppose one could say that we have become used to having you around. Moreover, I have already brought all your Yule presents and cannot get refunds. Therefore, I really think that it would be for the best if you remained in the land of the upright and breathing for the foreseeable future.

So, no, you cannot have a King Cobra.

Although I did buy you a familiar on your admission to Hogwarts, I am quite willing to also give you a snake; indeed, one would be a good familiar for you and a friend for Harry’s little Reggie. However, Dumbledore would never allow a snake so dangerous as a King Cobra past the castle gates and, for once, I must say that I agree with this policy. If you want to poison yourself, take a Mastery in Potions.

And before you write back extolling the benefits of keeping a King Cobra, I deem it wise to remind you that they EAT other snakes, especially small, non venomous ones like, just as a completely random example, Ball Pythons (i.e. Reggie.) I believe that you would be somewhat upset if you lost Harry’s friendship as soon as you had regained it.

I am glad that Harry is feeling better and of course you can invite him to stay over Christmas. (I will also be extending the invitation to Professor Snape.)

Love Daddy x

oOoOo

To: L. Malfoy
From: D. Malfoy

11th November

Dearest Daddy,

Thank you so much for promising me a snake!

I’m so excited: I really love Reggie, who is incredibly sweet, but it would be just wonderful to have one of my own. I must admit that I hadn’t considered that a Cobra might hurt Reggie. However, as long as I keep a beazor on me at all times, I really do think that a venomous snake would be best. Hogwarts is very dangerous: only last week Harry was attacked by a troll and the gamekeeper, Hagrid, keeps all sorts of wild beasts and we are right on the edge of the Forbidden Forest. Besides, while everyone decent wouldn’t dream of hurting Harry, there are some people, you know, who are crazy enough to try it and, as Harry’s best friend, I would have to defend him. So a poisonous snake really is a wise precaution as it could protect us.

I’d quite like a Naja Naja: they are on our Coat of Arms, after all. Indeed, now I think about it, it really would be quite shameful if a Malfoy had any other type of snake.

Lots of Love,

Draco.

OoOoO

To: Draco Malfoy
From: Lucius Malfoy

19.00 hours, 11th November

Dear Draco,

Have you considered that, if you are in so much danger merely by being Harry Potter’s best-friend, that I might forbid you from associating with him?

I will consider your point on venomous snakes. However I will not allow you a cobra of any description. No, not even a Naja Naja. They are depicted on our Coat of Arms for a reason, Draco. (If you need a clue, our motto is ‘Nemo me impune lacessit’ or ‘No one harms me with impunity.’)

Love Daddy.

oOoOo

To: Mummy
From: Draco

21.00 hours, 11th November

Dear Mummy,

Daddy’s being really mean! He’s threatened to forbid me from seeing Harry! All because I asked for a stupid snake.

I’ll look really stupid if everyone else in Slytherin has a snake and I don’t. Harry’s got one, Theo’s getting one and even Pansy’s getting a snake! She said so earlier this evening.

I don’t see why I’m not allowed a venomous snake when Theo’s getting one. I’ll look a real sissy if all I have is something like a corn snake!

Love Draco.

oOoOo

From the desk of Narcissa Malfoy

12th November

Darling Draco,

Daddy was just teasing; of course we would not forbid you from being friends with dear, little Harry. However, my Dragon, I do hope that you will be careful and not follow your friend into danger; discretion is the better part of valour.

Daddy has spoken to Mr Nott, Theodore’s father and, apparently, he has selected a Puget Sound Garter Snake for Theo; garter snake venom is not harmful to humans and, therefore, the snake will be quite innocuous. Severus, as you know, gave Harry a python and Mr Parkinson is buying a nice Lavender Corn-snake for Pansy, again not dangerous species. I am sure that you would not lose status, Draco, by owning only a mildly dangerous snake.

Write a nice letter of apology to your father; you know how it upsets him when you quarrel.

Love Mummy xxx

oOoOo

To: L. Malfoy
From: D. Malfoy

12th November

Dear Daddy,

I am so sorry that I got upset and cross; I was just worried that you wouldn’t let Harry be my best friend anymore and I over-reacted. I really missed Harry when he wasn’t talking to me.

I just wanted a venomous snake because I thought it would be cool. You’ve always said that people should look up to our family and I thought, if I had the most powerful familiar, it’d be really brilliant. Besides, I really do want to look after Harry; I think his Aunt was really mean to him and I don’t want anyone else to hurt him. I was really scared when I heard that he'd been attacked by the troll.

I love you,

Draco.

p.s. Blaise suggested that a Black Mamba might be a good beginner’s snake.

oOoOo

To: B. Zabini
From: L. Malfoy

12th November

Dear Blaise,

I have just spoken to your mother who, I must say, was highly amused by your suggestion. May I comment that your little deception was cruel, uncalled for and devastatingly Slytherin.

Please explain your joke to my son.

Yours respectfully,

L. Malfoy.

oOoOo

To: S. Snape
From: L. Malfoy

12th November

Dear Severus,

Draco has been pestering me for a venomous snake for the past few days and, I fear, I will not have a moments peace until I procure something sufficiently deadly. What would be your position on a Belchers Water Snake (Hydrophis Belcheri)?

Admittedly, Hydrophis Belcheri is the most poisonous serpent known to wizardkind but Guinevere Zabini, who, as you know, is an internationally renowned expert on venomous snakes, has informed me that Hydrophis Belcheri are remarkably docile: one has to practically pummel the buggers before they’ll decide to bite and, even then, there is a one in four chance that they’ll actually choose to secrete venom. The Hufflepuff of serpents, what?

Hippocrates Schlange has a nice little specimen who, he says, is exceptionally good natured even for a Hydrophis Belcheri. She can be supplied in a shatterproof aquarium and, of course, spells will be added to ensure that she cannot get out and no one other than Draco can enter her aquarium. Draco will, of course, be forbidden from handling her unless he (and anyone else in the room) has a bezoar in his/their mouths.

The serpent eats fish and, naturally, you can examine her if you so wish. I would be very grateful, old friend, if you can give me an affirmative and sooner rather than later. Once Draco has got an idea into his head, he’s worse than old Marmaduke with a bone.

Yours Sincerely,

Lucius.

Postscript: Cissa has reminded me that I was supposed to invite you and young Harry for Christmas. It would be wonderful to see you again and to finally meet the young man of whom Draco has been telling me so much. Shameful business about Harry’s Aunt; people like that should be publicly flogged. I haven’t mentioned anything about Harry's history to Draco, of course. L.

The End.
End Notes:
Yes, I know, Lucius spoils Draco rotten lol!

Harry's accident with the mouse actually happened to us, when my father first fed our boa constrictor a mouse: Dad held out the dead rodent, Arrow lunged, Dad jerked back, the mouse flew behind him and squash! A cleaning charm would have been very useful.

Reggie's personality is based strongly on Arrow's: sweet, funny, loving and obsessed with water!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2095