When the Boat Comes In by Morgana
Summary: Darkness swallowed Severus's childhood and is threatening to engulf Harry's. Will the man recognize himself in the boy before history repeats itself? [Generally short chapters due to (almost) daily updates]
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Eileen Prince, Hermione, Petunia, Tobias Snape, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: Ship to Shore
Chapters: 60 Completed: Yes Word count: 109493 Read: 483743 Published: 07 Mar 2010 Updated: 16 May 2010
Potions Prodigy by Morgana

"Thee firstern dutie of the Basilysk iys to ken thee kindern as thye owyn."


Severus Snape always changed after the feast. The dungeon bat image, while a useful tool in bringing unruly Gryffindors and too-clever-by-half Ravenclaws to heel, was not appropriate for the Basilisk to wear in ‘the Nest’, otherwise known as the Slytherin Common Room and Dorms.

So, after a quick shower, Professor Snape changed into a set of soft, forest-green dress robes: regal as to befit his station but rather less intimidating than black on black. He flicked a handful of floo powder into the fire and stepped through into the Slytherin Common Room. The Prefects had done well, all the children were sitting in a semi-circle around the fire, awaiting his appearance. Harry was slouching near the back, half hidden behind a chair. Sitting beside him was the Malfoy boy who- irritating little snot that he is- was poking Harry in the ribs, trying to get the other boy to sit up straight. Severus cleared his throat.

“What does the Bible tell us about snakes?" Severus intoned "It tells us that they are the incarnation of the devil, a cold-blooded, cold-hearted creature who must be shunned, a beast who will kill with no other motive than a love of bloodshed.

Many people will tell you that those who belong to the House of the snake are similarly cold-hearted, evil, dangerous and blood-thirsty." Severus paused significantly.

"But what does the Bible tell us about wizards and witches, we who bear the gift of magic? It says that good Christians should not suffer us to live. That we should be tortured and murdered. Let us not forget that, if one is to believe that snakes are devils incarnate, then so are witches and wizards. Are you a devil, Mr. Malfoy?”

“Dad, ah, I mean Father often tells me so!” Grinned Draco.

“A bad example perhaps.” replied Severus with a brief smile. “Let us now consider how the cultures who revered magic considered snakes. Asclepius, Greek God of Medicine, used snakes as conducts for his healing: non-venomous snakes would live in his temple and the infirm, the injured would sleep amongst them and be healed through these sacred snakes ministrations. Even today, many muggle pharmacies have the rod of Asclepius as their insignia. Maybe you too will one-day bear the snake as your emblem as you heal wounds of mind and body.

The cobra Goddess Wadjet, on the other hand, was charged with the protection of Egypt, the safeguarding of the monarch, the people and the land. The golden badges of Aurors, round and bright as the sun, echo Wadjet’s symbol. Perhaps one day you too will bear this badge and Wadjet’s duty to protect the people and the state.

Wadjet was also a goddess of wisdom: although associated with all of the land, Wadjet held the papyrus fields particularly sacred. Maybe you too will learn to love the papyrus and Wadjet will whisper her secrets into your ears. I certainly hope so for my sake.”

Severus’s eye caught a glimmer of green: Harry had raised his head and was listening avidly.

“And, perhaps, one of you will even be the avatar of the great serpent god Dahn and prevent the world from flying into splinters.

From creation to destruction to regeneration, snakes live in folklore as both good and bad but they are always, always powerful. You too will find power in your lives paths and I hope that you will choose gods like Ophion and Nuwa, the creators, Quetzacoatl, the regenerator, Asclepius, the healer, Wadjet, the protector and Dahn the savour, you will use that power for the benefit of wizard-kind.”

Severus paused.

“However, there are many who will see you, my snakes, as Apep, god of chaos and destruction. Therefore, outside the Serpent’s Nest, you will behave with the decorum and integrity as befits young gentle-mages. You will give those who suspect and would denigrate you no chance to find fault with your manner, speech or actions.

While you remain at Hogwarts, I expect you all to complete your courses to the best of your ability. To this end, I will be allocating study groups: where one of you is weak, another will be strong.

And although I don’t expect you to like each other- indeed it is rare that I don’t spend one evening a term extracting one snakes’ fangs from another’s tail- I do expect you to keep such disputes to the Serpent’s Nest.”

Severus conjured four arrows.

“One arrow, I can snap between my thumb and forefinger” there was a sharp crunch as the arrow broke “while three arrows cannot be broken” Severus tossed the bundle to Marcus Flint, a burly teenager, who gamely tried (and failed) to break the three arrows.

Severus continued “United, you can stand firm against the world, divided, you will break. And, while we are on the subject, your detractors will not be among the students alone. I will protect your interests and fight your corners but, if you hand weapons to your enemies, you will hurt not only yourselves but the rest of your house, including and especially me. Therefore, if your words or actions gain you detention with another teacher, you will also serve detention with me.”

Severus bowed. “The hour is late and your day has been long. Tomorrow, I will be expecting my first years for interviews. A parchment denoting your interview times is attached to the notice board. Goodnight.”

Severus threw a handful of floo powder into the fire and stepped into his chambers. A stiff whiskey, his leather armchair and a chapter of Dickens sounded just about perfect.

OoOoO

“And, of course, ‘Draco’ is Latin for ‘dragon’ and dragons are close relatives of snakes. Indeed, many of the snakes in mythology are wyrms, which are a kind of dragon.”

Harry nodded. Conversation with Draco was refreshingly uncomplicated; just nod, smile, laugh or shake your head at the appropriate moment and he chatted on quite happily.

“Well, I can see what my sister, Violet, meant when she said that it would make a damn sight more sense having Professor Snape teach History of Magic” interrupted Pansy “Binns is an awful bore. He’s a ghost, you know. Bored himself to death, according to Violet.”

“So, really, where else could I have been. Or you, Harry. What he said about Dahn was aimed at you, I could tell” Draco gave Harry a significant look “Of course, Professor Snape does have to toe the party line. As my father always says, the walls have ears. Especially in Hogwarts.”

Harry nodded. By now they were in the boy’s dorm; a snug yet spacious room with flocked cream wall-paper, polished parquet floor and six four poster beds with plump pillows and thick duvets, in cream silk, and heavy green velvet curtains. Lamps were affixed to the headboards of the bed and, beside each four-poster, was a wardrobe and, on the floor, a soft green rug.

“Well, better be getting some shut eye.” Announced Draco “Professor Snape’s quizzes are infamous. I’m going to have the bed by the window, by the way. You can have the one by the fire.”

Draco opened his trunk and grabbed his school robes “Better hang these up to get rid of the creases. The wardrobes have the most splendid de-creasing and cleaning charms. Oh, and, once you touch them, they won’t open for anyone but you and the Basilisk.”

“The Basilisk?” queried Harry.

“Our head of house; in mythology, the Basilisk is the king of the serpents.”

“Oh.” Harry grabbed his school clothes quickly and jammed them onto the hangers. Hagrid, while being a kindly soul, didn’t know his own strength and, in ‘helping’ Harry to pack his trunk, had creased everything. Including the trunk.

Before re-locking his case, Harry grabbed his potions text book. If he could just read a chapter every half an hour, he could have the book finished by half-four.”

OoOoO

“Mr. Potter, while you may not find Potions an enthralling prospect, please refrain from falling asleep on the desk.”

Harry twitched upright, blinking desperately. Severus sighed, it would not be a good start to the year to drag his 'star' student over the coals.

Whilst reciting his ‘Introduction to Potions’ speech, Severus was aware of a pair of large green eyes taking in his every word. Green and shining, like a young beech leaf against the sun light. So similar in shape and expression too, they only lacked her fiery eye-lashes. The warmth in his stomach curdled as he turned to look into the face of a young James Potter.

“Mr. Potter…” Severus hesitated as his mind regained supremacy; Potter was a Slytherin and, after preaching house unity, he had to practice it. After all, the boy was still but a child.

“What, pray, is a bezoar?”

“Goat! Ah, I mean its this little stone that’s found in the stomachs of gold-horn goats. If you’re poisoned, you suck on it.” Harry looked up at Severus, hope glimmering behind the fear in his eyes. Lily’s eyes. The tiniest cockle of Severus’s heart had the audacity to warm itself. He squashed the feeling ruthlessly.

“Very good, and what is the difference between Monkshood and Aconite?” A girl thrust her hand into the air, Harry looked around nervously, unsure as whether he should answer. Snape nodded to him.

“Er… aren’t they the same plant.” ventured Harry.

“Correct. It is more commonly known as Wolfbane.” Severus felt a smile tugging on his lips as an idea struck him. Maybe something from the penultimate chapter?

“And what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?”

“A potion which makes you seem dead whilst you’re alive…” replied Harry “er, it was mentioned in Romeo and Juliet, ah…” At this point, the annoying bushy-haired bint was actually waving her hand in the air, Severus studiously ignored her.

“Your eloquence astounds me, Mr Potter. However, having studied your potions text all night, it is unsurprising that perfect coherence is beyond your capabilities. Five points to Slytherin for near complete knowledge of your textbook.”

Draco nudged Harry, grinning.

“And one point from Slytherin: the next time you decide to study past midnight, it’ll be fifty.”

Crabbe frowned “You lost us points, Harry!”

“One from five is four, Vin. Harry still won us four points overall. Honestly!” sighed Draco melodramatically.

“Now," continued Severus, "while Mr. Potter, as befitting his celebrity status, has become a potions prodigy before his first lesson, it would not be suitable for us lesser mortals to start with the Draught of Living Death or anything containing poisons such as aconite. Besoars, as Mr. Potter will tell you, are rather rare and my current stock runs to three. Which potion do you suggest we start with, Mr Potter?”

Harry blushed. “Dunno, sir” he muttered, ducking his head.

“Chapter one, then. Well, what are you waiting for? Get reading!”

Whilst Professor Snape was collecting pails of ingredients from the potions cupboards, Harry shyly looked over at him. When Uncle Vernon was still alive, Aunt Petunia had used a certain tone of voice; it sounded nice but there were inflections on certain words which felt nasty, like there was another meaning behind the words. Harry had learnt to listen for those inflections, or he’d catch it later if he didn’t make himself scarce.

Professor Snape’s tone had been sarcastic, even slightly sneering but the inflections hadn’t been all that nasty. The way he said ‘prodigy’ had actually been warm, like he was pleased or something. The Professor also hadn’t continued to pick on Harry once Harry had become embarrassed, which kind of showed that he hadn’t really been trying to be mean. And then there were those points. Points meant a lot to Slytherin: Harry had noticed how the other teachers were reluctant to give them points- even when Draco had succeeded in transfiguring his button from green to red on first go, Professor McGonagall hadn’t given him a point. Harry winning points had made Draco happy- so happy that he even stood up for Harry when Vince picked on him. No one had ever done that before.

Harry grinned. He was going to become a potions prodigy.

The End.
End Notes:
The quote at the beginning of this chapter is an extract from Salazar Slytherin's book "Thee Dutie of Thee Basilysk", a text designed to aid future Heads of Slytherin House. The spelling follows some of the less idioscyncratic rules of Old English: in modern English this quote would read: "The first duty of the Basilisk is to know the children as well as your own" i.e the Slytherin students should be as familiar to the Head of Slytherin as their own blood-children would be.

On Christianity: when reading this fic, I think it is wisest to remember two things 1. when a character speaks, it is their views (not the author's) which they are expressing and 2. that the wizarding community is bound to feel pretty uncomfortable about Christianity in general: the Bible says that people who use magic should be killed and, therefore, any wizard or witch who reads the Bible is bound to be upset and angered by this message. Moreover, during the past thousand or so years, Christians have committed atrocity upon atrocity on those who they have thought to be witches: they have been burnt (a horrible, exceptionally painful death) and tortured (and I'm not talking about a beating, I'm talking about really gruesome, vicious, humiliating abuse, which only stopped when the victim 'confessed', which could take weeks.) Moreover, even if real witches weren't burnt, the Wizarding World knew about witch-hunts and the prejudice behind them. Additionally, real witches/wizards, especially children, must have been murdered occasionally; a mage's wand could easily be dropped, broken or otherwise lost, if attacked in a one-against-five situation. Therefore, although modern Christianity emphasises the message of love and tolerance, it would be exceptionally odd that if Wizarding culture forgot the persecution of 'witches' within 300 years of it ceasing.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2095