Taking Harry Away by Black Banshee Girl
Summary: When Severus hears the prophecy he at once knows that it’s connected to Lily. He takes Harry away from the Potters, but what will he do with the child and how will that affect the future of the Wizarding World? Based on the Stolen Child challenge by Jan_AQ.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Prompts: Stolen Child
Challenges: Stolen Child
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2104 Read: 3962 Published: 09 Mar 2010 Updated: 09 Mar 2010
Story Notes:
I thought this would be something fun to do. I hope that all of you like it. Also I'm not making any money off of this story. All Characters belong to J.K Rowling.
Taking Harry Away by Black Banshee Girl

Severus Snape hated the Hogs Head and not because it was run by Albus Dumbledore’s brother but because it smelled like goats, you couldn’t say anything without being overheard and very bad things could happen to you. He noticed a very strange woman enter the Hogs Head and ask for a room.

“That will be five sickles,” Dumbledore’s brother told her.

She fished them out and handed them to her. “Thanks, my dear,” she said and headed upstairs.

Severus decided to follow, just to see what the old bag was up to. The woman had taken a seat in the parlor and looked like she was waiting on someone. He entered and studied her. Suddenly she broke out in a harsh voice that made Severus blood run cold.

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not...and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...."

“What the-,” Severus started and then it came to him, “Lily’s in danger.”

And he bolted before Trelawney even knew he had been there.

Severus knew that he should report what he had heard to the Dark Lord but that meant that Lily would be in grave danger. As he was the only one that knew the full prophecy he was the only one that he knew that could prevent Lily’s death. Severus also knew that it was talking about the Potter’s because Lily had a son at the end of July and the little brat was a half-blood, an equal to the Dark Lord.

Severus transformed into a cat and entered through an open window. The Potters were there, laughing at some joke that Sirius had said. Severus was very glad that Remus wasn’t there because he would have smelled him. He then crept upstairs and changed into his human form. Harry blasted Potter was sound asleep but still Severus cast a silencing charm on him and then bundled him up.

“I know you’re the one that will defeat the Dark Lord but I’m not going to let Lily die,” he said and then he and the child vanished.

Smuggling the baby out of England was easy since no one was looking for him and would never suspect that Severus had done the deed. He took the boy to France, to his summer home that had once belonged to the Prince family. At once a house elf appeared.

“Take the new Master upstairs and don’t wake him,” Severus ordered, “I have to go back to England before I’m missed.”

“As you wish, Master Severus,” the house elf said and Severus headed back to Voldemort’s fold.


“My baby is gone, Albus, Harry is gone,” Lily Potter said.

“Any signs that magic was done to the door?” Dumbledore asked Kingsley.

“None, Headmaster,” Kingsley said.

“Don’t worry, Lily, we will find Harry,” Dumbledore vowed.

“By the way, Albus, how did the interview with Trelawney go?”

“Disappointing,” Dumbledore said, “I’m not continuing Divination.”

“Sorry to hear that,” Kingsley said.

“What are we going to do about my son?” James asked.

“We will search all of England and get a hold of any of our friends oversees,” Dumbledore said, “We will find Harry and then bring in the person that took him.”


The years passed for everyone and Harry, now Sebastian, grew to be a very bright boy. Severus took him under his wing and taught him how to brew potions, as well as Charms. Due to the fact that Severus didn’t want the Dark Lord to find him he had a magical tutor come in and teach him. Meanwhile Severus went looking for the different parts of Voldemort’s soul.

He used all forms of magic to find them and one by one each part was destroyed. When he got home Sebastian ran to hug him and he felt his heart melt.

“Hello, Sebastian,” Severus said, “How are things at home?”

Sebastian, now seventeen, was an excellent Potion brewer and had invented a few potions of his own.

“Great, dad,” Sebastian said.

“Good to hear,” Severus said, “I’ve got Ravenclaw’s stupid tiara and I need the potion that we brewed last night.”

“Will this be the last one?” Sebastian asked.

“Yes,” Severus answered, “Except for Tom Riddle’s own soul. That I planned to take care of myself.”

Sebastian went into the lab and got the potion that his father wanted. He then returned and Severus poured it over the crown. It burst into flames and was gone.

“Sebastian, I want you to do something for me,” Severus said.

“Sure, what,” was the statement.

“I’m going to kill Tom Riddle forever and I want you to make me a promise, not an Unbreakable Vow, but a promise. Promise me that you will return to England and find your parents. Their still alive as Tom hasn’t gloated, and I want you to find work there. Your about to become a Potions Master and I want you to rely on your skills and not money to get by.”

Sebastian stared at him. “You don’t think your coming back?”

“I don’t know,” Severus said, “But just promise me that you’ll do that.”

“I will,” Sebastian promised.

“Good,” Severus said, “Now I’m going to rest and tomorrow I’ll be gone.”

He headed upstairs and soon he was gone.

The next day Sebastian woke up to no dad. He prayed that his dad would be alright and that he wouldn’t have to return to England. His dad had told him that a prophecy had hung over his head and that’s why he took him away. Well he was glad that he had as he wouldn’t be the great brewer that he was today.

“Would Master like something to eat?” the house elf asked.

“Yes, I would,” Sebastian said and the house elf went off to fix him something.


Severus entered the Dark Lord room, with the poison in hand. Peter had just made the Dark Lord something to eat and he hadn’t come in. Quickly he placed the poison in his drink and then left. A few hours later Bellatrix came running in, looking scared.

“The Dark Lord is dead!” she screamed, “He’s dead!”

“How?” her husband asked.

“Poisoned,” she answered and they all looked at Severus. “You killed him.”

“I don’t know-.”

But a blast of green light came out of her wand and he was dead before he hit the ground.


Sebastian heard that Voldemort had been defeated and deep down he knew that his dad had died. Sighing he packed his bags with a quick wave of his wand and had the house elf come with him. There was nothing left for him in France, nothing but very bad memories and good ones of a loving dad that had taken him away so that he wouldn’t suffer at the hands of very bad people.


“Come in,” Dumbledore called out and the door opened and a figure entered.

“I understand that you need a Potions Master,” the voice said.

He looked up and was shocked to see someone that he hadn’t seen in seventeen years.

“Harry,” Dumbledore said.

The figure frowned, “I’m Sebastian Snape,” the figure said, “I heard that Professor Slughorn is leaving.”

“Um, yes,” Dumbledore said, “The war is fully over and he feels the need to move on.”

“I’m here to apply for the job of Potions Master,” Sebastian said.

“You’re hired,” Dumbledore said at once.

When his new Potions Master left he at once alerted James and Lily Potter, because he felt that they needed to know. They had several children already and the news that Harry had finally returned would be big news to them. They had given up hope of ever finding him. But what he wanted to know was why he used the word Snape as his last name.

“When can we see him?” James demanded.

“He’s settling in his office but you’ll see him real soon,” Dumbledore said.

“Office,” Lily said, confused.

Dumbledore allowed himself a small smile, “He’s our new Potions Master.”


Sebastian worked hard to clean up the mess that Slughorn had left. He placed a photo of his dad on his office desk and then started to check how fresh the supplies where. He was surprised that any of them were still good. A sudden knock on the door made him turn and he saw three men standing there.

“What do you want?” Sebastian asked.

“I wanted to see my son,” one of the men said, “Where have you been? Who took you?”

“I’ve been in France and my dad took me,” Sebastian said, “Now if you’re done with your question and answer session I have to get my things ready for my classes.”

“Gods, he even sounds like Snape,” the other man said.

“Son, did Snape take you away from us because if he did I’ll-.”

Sebastian pounded his fist into the desk, “You would do what, kill him,” he said, “I’m sorry but you missed your chance.”

“And what did old Snape do, get himself run over because he’s so ugly.”

“James, stop,” the other man said, “It’s clear that he’s in morning.”

“Morning, for that greasy git,” James said, “Don’t make me laugh. My Harry would have hated him on sight.”

“I’M NOT YOUR HARRY,” Sebastian screamed, “I’M SEBASTIAN SNAPE, POTIONS MASTER, AND I WON’T HAVE YOU TALKING BAD ABOUT MY DAD. HE HELPED TO DEFEAT TOM RIDDLE AND I DEMAND THAT YOU SHOW HIM RESPECT.”

“Like-.”

Sebastian pointed his wand at James.

“Get out; Potter,” Sebastian snarled, “Get out or I swear I will hex you so badly that your wife won’t be able to tell who you are.”

James glared at him and then motioned for his friends to leave. “It’s clear that Harry has never, nor will, he ever come back.”

And Sebastian was left alone.

Eighteen years Later….

“I can’t believe that I’m teaching a boy that’s named after that idiot that thinks that I’m his dad,” Sebastian told his wife, Hermione Snape.

“Well our daughter is going so that should make up for something,” she said.

“Nothing can make up with how much of a git Potter is and his grandson will be worse,” Sebastian told her. “And if James stinking Potter Jr. harms Athena I swear I’ll use his body parts for my potions.”

Hermione smiled at him, “So why don’t you want to believe that James is your father?”

“Because James Potter is a stuck up snob that thinks that Quidditch is the best game on earth,” Sebastian said, “And he walks around like he just got off his broom.”

Hermione sighed, “Dumbledore says that he’s your father.”

“True but in my minds eye the only father that I had was Severus Snape,” Sebastian said, “He died to protect the Wizarding world from Tom Riddle and I’m not going back to being Harry Potter just because James won’t believe that my dad was a good man.”

“Come on, lets go and watch the sorting,” Hermione said.

They entered the Great Hall, James Potter and his stupid wife, Lily, glaring at them. He knew that his mum would never forgive him for almost hexing her husband but he didn’t care. Lily might have given birth to him but she was no mother.

“Potter, James,” Professor Longbottom called.

Sebastian watched as the thorn in his side was sorted and into Hufflepuff.

James seemed shocked and his father demanded resorting. Sebastian just glared at him and crossed his arms. James Potter always thought that he could have whatever he wanted. And now he was going to try it again with his grandchild.

“Headmaster, I think that James’s grandson should go to Hufflepuff,” Sebastian said.

“I agree, sorry James,” Dumbledore said.

“Stinking Snape,” James hissed as the little boy went over to the Hufflepuff table.

Ten minutes later Athena had her turn and she was placed in Gryffindor. Sebastian and Hermione clapped as she bounded over to the Gryffindor table. James turned and faced Sebastian.

“Don’t think that I haven’t taught my son to defend himself from the likes of you and your rotten wife.”

“Same here,” Sebastian said, glaring at him.

Oh Sebastian Snape was going to have fun with that rotten Hufflepuff. Above the ghost of Severus Snape smiled.

“He’s a chip off the old block,” he said, “And that’s why I’m so proud of you. Enjoy your Voldemort-free life; you’ve earned it, my son.”

The End.
End Notes:
I hope that you all enjoyed this one-shot.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2097