A Serpent in Lion's Clothing: Resorted by Lady Lanera
Summary: After the events of the famous dueling club scene, Harry has been resorted into Slytherin. Will he finally find the home he's been looking for? And will Snape find something he's been missing all his life? (Snape/Sinistra)
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Misc > All written in Snape's POV Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity, Self-harm, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: A Serpent in Lion's Clothing
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 37112 Read: 170434 Published: 16 Mar 2010 Updated: 19 May 2010
Seeking Reassurances by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
I know it's kind of an awkward chapter for both Harry and Snape, but I just feel like it's something a twelve-year-old Harry would do. Enjoy. :)

I have been sleeping soundly—the first time in weeks in fact—when someone pounds loudly against the door to my quarters. I grunt once before getting out of bed. I cannot believe the nerve of the person. As I walk towards my door, I sigh after casting Tempus. It is even worse than I think. It is two a.m. I brush off my black robes and sigh. At least the person is not going to be able to tell easily that I have been asleep.

"Enter," I gruffly say.

My door swings open slowly. I am expecting it to be my newest adorning fan, Aurora. However, I am slightly disappointed when it is not her but Harry. My eyes narrow on him. No new blood glistens in the soft light from my candelabras. His facial wounds from before are healing rather well. I cannot see a reason why he has come to my quarters so late at night. My arms fold across my chest as I stare at him.

"I…um…I couldn't sleep," Harry admits quietly before shifting his weight from side to side.

"Is it dreams that are keeping both of us awake or something else?"

"Yeah, sort of," Harry replies. Again, he shifts his weight.

"I take it you are unsettled by your decision to be in Slytherin?" He shakes his head instantly, which makes me sigh heavily. I do not have time to play his games. "Then what is it? In case you do not know, it is two in the morning."

"I…well…" He then quiets and a shudder rakes his body.

"Then why are you here?"

"Like I said," he replies quietly. "I can't sleep."

"Because…" I ask trying to gain an answer from the boy. It feels as if I am pulling teeth from him. I notice his eyes stare at me for a few seconds before he glances away. "If you do not wish to tell me, then I will not be able to help you." Normally, I would just give anyone who can't sleep a dose of Dreamless Sleep, but something in me prevents this action.

"I know. It's just…well…" He then glances with a pleading look. "I don't want to be alone."

"You are never alone, Harry. I am sure Mr. Weasley and Miss Granger are going to be frequently by your side as is Mr. Malfoy."

"And you…?"

"If you wish, but—"

"So then if I do something extremely…freaky, you won't—"

"I will do no such thing," I interrupt. I can see the fears in the boy's green eyes. "I do not abandon those of which I make such a serious vow to, Harry. You need not worry about me casting you away as if you were a house elf. You are my ward."

"Okay," he replies quietly.

"Must I make another vow to convince you of my words?" I ask.

"No."

"Then understand that I am going to keep my promise so you may return to your bed."

"I…um…I don't really want to return to the Tower."

"Mr. Weasley will not take kindly to your sudden disappearance."

"No. It's all right, Snape. Neville knows I'm down here."

"Does he now?" I respond coolly. "And just how does Mr. Longbottom know you're here?"

"Um…well, he kind of told me to come down here and talk to you. He said that it makes him feel better to be around his grandmother when he can't sleep so he thought it might work with us."

"It only works if we have feelings of adoration towards one another. As such, I do not believe we have these feelings." An annoying voice in the back of my mind that sounds like Sinistra's adds yet.

"Oh," he responds glumly. His face drops as his eyes follow suit.

"Am I to continue this charade any longer or would it just be better if you went to bed?" I drawl. I can see the look in the boy's eyes. He has placed his heart on his sleeve once again. All his trust in me will probably lead to our deaths but I care not tonight. "I take it another interesting fact Mr. Longbottom told you is that sometimes a guardian will stay with the child until he falls asleep? Is this what you are wanting?" I keep my tone light-hearted. Even though, inside I am snarling as a rabid dog. I am fatigued. That is my excuse for my temper tonight. "Very well, Harry, go." I point towards a spare room. However, the boy heads towards my room instead. My eyes widen, but I am too shocked to speak.

I watch the boy settle into my warm bed. After the rustling of my sheets stop, I sigh and shake my head. He either does not notice my annoyance or does not care. I then send a nonverbal splitting curse towards the bed so that I can at least have my side. Turning my attention from him, I settle myself in and sigh inwardly. My bed is nearly five feet from his. The candles in the room quickly extinguish and plunge us into uncomfortable silence and darkness.

A good five minutes pass before I hear from Harry again. It nearly startles me since I am so close to continuing my dream. However, I glance towards the boy and give him my attention. After all, he is only seeking reassurances and possibly safety. More than anyone here, I can relate to his feelings. I too once have done his exact thing, except I went to one of my peers for reassurances not an adult.

"I'm sorry for bothering you," he whispers quietly.

"There is no need for that," I reply with a soft yawn. "You are just wishing to feel safe."

"Yeah, but I should feel safe up in the Tower."

"However, memories of your past exploits are stripping you emotionally. It is normal to feel such things after a day that you have had."

"I keep dreaming of the Dursleys screaming for me to help them and I can't get to them in time."

I nearly laugh aloud as I reflect on how true that statement could be considering that Sinistra is still in Surrey. At least I believe she is still there. After all, she is at times more sadistic than the Dark Lord is. I, however, keep it in. My amusement is only going to upset the boy further.

"The Dursleys do not deserve your concern, Harry. They lost that right when they abused you. Is that all that is working on you tonight?"

"No. I've got a whole list," Harry replies before laughing softly. "But it can wait until later now that I'm here. You swear you'll keep me safe, Snape?"

"I swear it," I reply confidently.

"I believe you." A loud sigh then comes from his bed before I hear more rustling of the sheets. "In Slytherin, learned I'm a Parselmouth, gained a guardian, learned you protect me, and am friends with Malfoy…can this year get any stranger?" I do not reply vocally, but in my mind I respond yes.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2107