A Serpent in Lion's Clothing: Resorted by Lady Lanera
Summary: After the events of the famous dueling club scene, Harry has been resorted into Slytherin. Will he finally find the home he's been looking for? And will Snape find something he's been missing all his life? (Snape/Sinistra)
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Misc > All written in Snape's POV Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity, Self-harm, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: A Serpent in Lion's Clothing
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 37112 Read: 170458 Published: 16 Mar 2010 Updated: 19 May 2010
Interlude of Potions Class by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
Enjoy.

I cast a quick Tempus and sigh. Today is going to be the first Potions class with Harry as a Slytherin. Unfortunately, it is with all of his other former Gryffindors. I can only imagine how the boy has been surviving. Perhaps it is wrong of me to resort the boy into my house. After all, Gryffindor seems to have not disowned him. I have learned that interesting information from the Weasley twins. Of course, I perhaps might have left a potions recipe out that they possibly can use for as a prank, but I have left recipes out before for them accidently. No one ever traces it back to me, and who is ever going to believe the Weasley twins if they (Merlin forbid) tell anyone that Severus Snape, git of the dungeons, gave them a potions recipe?

The door to my classroom opens. It is Weasley and Granger walking in along with Potter. I bite back my scathing lecture. I have promised both Albus and Minerva that I am not going to say anything to him about consorting with his old House. That is the one condition. However, as my eyes narrow on the patch just above the boy's robes, I find it harder to bite back my words. His patch is crimson, not emerald. The boy is wearing his old Gryffindor robes.

Before I can say anything, though, my door opens again. Unfortunately, curiosity has bitten me this day so I glance towards it. My eyes instantly catch the dried blood on Draco's white shirt. I then quickly look over him and see the bruises and cuts to his face. Someone has attacked him. I cannot help it. Out of habit, I glare at Harry. That is when I notice that Harry too has a split lip and bruised cheek. I calmly (as calmly as one can be in this situation) walk over to both boys. It is rather amazing actually that Draco sits near Harry, and that neither boy has an issue with it. My thoughts I know are wrong. Draco and Harry haven't attacked each other. It is someone else who has attacked them. My gut wrenches as I quickly realize that it has to be someone from my house.

"Mr. Potter, Mr. Malfoy, who did this to you?" I ask softly. Both boys stare at me, but say nothing. I then catch Granger's eye. She is worried about them (well, probably just Harry). I decide then that I am going to speak with her after class. I quickly revise this decision when Weasley glares at me. Perhaps including Weasley into our conversation will smooth things over. Oh, Merlin, what do I care what two Gryffindors think of my anyway? I think. I then sigh heavily as I answer my own question. I care because they're Harry's friends. I need them if I am ever to protect Harry properly. I glance at both Gryffindors and narrow my eyes on them. Well, they truly aren't the worst sort. Granger is certainly the smart one in the lot, so she could be a good influence. Weasley is…a Weasley. If nothing else, he is good for entertainment purposes.

"No one, Professor," Draco responds quietly interrupting my thoughts.

Without thinking of how it looks to four thirteen year olds, I cast a nonverbal and wandless locking spell that engages the wards around my classroom. As the door slams shut, shrieks instantly ring out from behind it. I then lean down in my intimidating way.

"Do not lie to me, Mr. Malfoy," I say in a deadly voice.

"Fine, you want to know so damn bad? I'll tell you," Harry snarls towards me. "It was your house. What's wrong, Snape? Can't even believe a Slytherin would attack—"

"That's quite enough, Mr. Potter," I respond quietly. It takes all my control not to slap the boy for his sassiness. "I am correct to assume that this incident occurred last night?" Harry doesn't respond, but Draco slowly nods. "Very well, I see I shall have to call a meeting tonight."

"Oh, like you care, Snape," Harry raves.

"On the contrary, Mr. Potter, I do care."

"Only because I'm stuck in your damn House because the Headmaster's gone insane."

"It was not the Headmaster's decision, Mr. Potter." The green eyes narrow on me suspiciously.

"You!" accuses Harry. "But why would you ever—? You hate me!"

"I do not hate you, Mr. Potter, nor does Mr. Malfoy. Need I defend you as Draco has in order for you to understand?"

"You tried to kill me my first year!"

"I saved you, you idiot boy. Quirrell was the one who was trying to kill you."

"You hate me because of my father!"

"No. While that was the case before, it is not now."

"Oh, yeah, what changed, Snape?"

"Obviously, my opinion of you, Mr. Potter," I drawl.

"Oh, come on. Don't give me this crap, Snape! What changed?"

"You spoke Parseltongue, Mr. Potter." I watch the boy's gears in his mind turn feverishly as he tries to think of a way out. Inside I smile slight when I see the boy's light bulb comes on. This ought to be good, I think to myself.

"So…I bet loads of people here can."

"Then you would lose that bet, Mr. Potter. It is very rare to possess that ability so naturally."

Harry then sighs heavily before he glances towards Granger and Weasley. They all seem to want to ask a question, but I can smell their fear. I then glance at Draco who quickly looks away. Somehow, I know I should be upset that those lions corrupted my godson, but I cannot. I've learned long ago that there is nothing wrong with Gryffindors. However, my role in the big plan requires me to be an ass to everyone but Slytherin.

Hence, another reason I am glad Harry is now in my House. If Dumbledore is right and I must teach Harry certain skills that I possess, then we have made the right decision to resort him. I know that I could not be able to teach him properly with our level of distrust. At least now, I can make up for some of the damaging remarks I've made the past year. After all, can anyone truly ever imagine Harry learning Occlumency or (Merlin forbid) Legilimency from me with our prior relationship? It would be disastrous and would probably end up being the reason of why another person close to Harry has died.

I then sigh heavily. I made a vow on Lily's grave that I would protect her son. It is the least I can do since I am the main reason she and Potter are dead. So having Harry resorted in my mind shows that I am serious about my vow. After all, distancing me from the boy hasn't worked. I nearly got the boy killed twice last year because of it. Again, I sigh. This year is going to be different, though. If the boy has taught me one thing, it is that I need to be on my guard always. An echoed memory of my sorting flashes before my eyes. 'While here your House will be your home…' Can I truly ever give that to Harry who deserves the home I took from him? Yes, I answer in my mind.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2107