Grandpa Severus by Nightshade
Summary: When Harry is inexplicably deaged while working a case undercover, his children are suddenly left without a place to live, as Ginny died a few years ago in a tragic Quidditch accident. After an array of problems with other family options, the kids end up living with their paternal grandfather, Severus Snape, whom they've never met. Severus must learn to live with James, Al, and Lily, as well as explain to them why he and Harry remained estranged, even after learning that they were blood relations.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Deaging
Takes Place: 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: None
Prompts: Grandpa Severus
Challenges: Grandpa Severus
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 5400 Read: 14120 Published: 30 Mar 2010 Updated: 02 Apr 2010
The Day Everything Changed by Nightshade

  Albus, Lily, and James Potter sat in silence as the adults talked quietly about what was going to happen to them. None of the children understood what was happening; all they knew was that this was exactly what it had been like on that fateful day their mother had died.

  Al glanced at his older brother and said softly, “What do you think happened Jamie?”

  James remained stiff and silent, he was ten going on eleven, normally he would have been full of energy and making some kind of joke but he knew this was serious. So he was acting serious; for both Al’s and Lily’s sake. “I don’t know Al.”

   Lily lay curled up like a cat beside their wolfhound, Demon. Silently she watched as the adults spoke in rushed quiet tones.

   Demon whined and licked Lily’s face, sensing his mistress’ distress.

   “Easy boy,” Al said.

    Demon placed his head down and relaxed.

   Everything was silent. Al glanced down the hall and saw Aunt Hermione pacing back and forth. Some thing was defiantly wrong.

  “Ron…what are we going to tell the kids?” Hermione wrung her hands together and continued to pace.

  “The truth, Hermione,” Ron said sadly. “What else can we do?”

  Tears filled Hermione’s eyes. “I know, I know. But Ron…the ministry won’t let us take them in? Why?”

  Ron shook his head. “I don’t know the minister’s keeping his mouth shut about that, said something about a paternal family member(s) needing to take them in.”

Hermione swore and continued to pace. “Will they let us take Harry in?”

  “I’m trying to find out about that.” Ron stood and gently took Hermione by the shoulders. “Luv, the kids are watching you. You need to stop.”

  Hermione spun around and saw that her nephews and niece were indeed watching her. Placing a hand over her mouth Hermione swallowed a sob; “Oh Ron, those poor kids.”

  “I know, I know.” Ron sighed. “We have to tell them.”

  Hermione took in a deep breath and nodded, “Alright.” 

 Ron turned to the doorway and motioned for the kids to come in. “Come here guys.”

  Slowly James and Al stood and walked over toward their uncle and aunt. Lily remained where she was. She didn’t want to know. Demon whined and licked Lily’s hand in silent comfort.

Hermione walked over to her niece and gently brushed Lily’s hair out of the way. “Sweetie, we need to tell you something.”

  Lily remained silent.

  Hermione pulled Lily into her arms and walked back into the dining room. Once everyone was seated Ron began to speak. “There’s no easy way to say this guys…your dad had an accident.”

Al closed his eyes to keep himself from crying. Lily made a face and hugged her aunt tightly.

“He’s…he’s ok right?” James pleaded.

“He’s alive,” Ron began. “But…he’s not…he’s not like you’d expect him to be.”

 “What do you mean Uncle Ron?” Al asked. 

“I mean Al that your dad has been deaged.”

 Al blinked, “What’s deaged Uncle Ron?”

 “It’s when you become younger than you really are Al,” Hermione said quietly.

James laughed in relief. “So…so he’s not dead? Dad’s ok?”

“Kind of James,” Ron answered.

Lily tilted her head in question.

“He’s a baby now.” Hermione said gently.

Everyone went silent. Al and James shot each other a glance; neither knew whether to laugh or to be totally freaked, or both.

They settled for freaked.

“How the bloody hell did dad get deaged?” James demanded.

“James Sirius Potter, watch your mouth.” Hermione admonished.

“Sorry aunt Hermione.” James said shamefaced.

Hermione nodded.

“To answer your question James,” Ron said. “Your dad was on a mission, he was trying to catch a wizard while he was in his lab and a…a potion exploded.”

“Oh.” James folded his arms. ‘No dramatic battle then.’ He thought.

“What happened to the bad wizard?” Al asked.

“He was also deaged.”

“Good. Serves him right,” Al glared down at the table. ‘Stupid git, you hurt my dad.

Lily pulled herself away from Hermione and went to sit beside Demon. The seven year old witch wrapped her arms around Demon’s neck and buried her face in his black pelt.

“Oh, Lily,” Hermione went and knelt down beside Lily. “Sweetie, your dad is going to be just fine. Grandma and Grandpa have already said they’d take Harry while Aunt Minerva, Uncle Filius, and I look for the cure. Everything’s going to be alright.”

“The ministry will let grams and gramps take Dad?” James asked remembering what he’d heard.

“They’d better.” Ron growled.  

“Ronald.” Hermione glared and then motioned with her eyes toward the children.

“Right, sorry.” Ron pulled his fingers through his hair. Sighing, “Guys there’s one more thing we have to tell you.”

“What, Uncle Ron?” Al asked.

Ron and Hermione shot each other a sad look before continuing. “Guys, apparently there is a law that states…that states you guys can’t stay with us.”

“WHAT?!” Albus and James jumped to their feet’s.

“But why Uncle Ron, why can’t we stay with you?” Al asked with tears in his eyes.

“Yeah, why can’t we?” James demanded. 

“I don’t know guys, but you are going to have to stay with…with your grandfather.”

The kids glanced at each other. “I thought dad was staying with grandma and grandpa?” Al said.

“Not Grandpa Weasley, Al, your dad’s dad.” Hermione said sadly.

James blinked. “No…no way. Dad said his dad was dead. Grandpa James and Grandma Lily died when he was a baby.”

“Your dad’s step dad died with your grandma Lily. But your dad’s birth father is still alive.” Hermione said quietly.

“Why haven’t we met him?” Al asked.

“I don’t know Al.” Ron said. 

Lily glared and got to her feet. She walked over to Al and looked him in the eyes. Al nodded. “Lily wants to know why we have to live with him.”

“Because he’s your paternal grandfather,” Hermione answered.

Lily tapped Albus and looked him in the eye again.

“When do we have to go?”

“Tomorrow, a ministry official is going to bring you.” 

Lily turned and ran out of the room. Demon stood and went after her. For a few moments all they could hear was a ‘Thud, thud, thud’ from the giant dog. Then there was a ‘Bang!’ when Lily slammed her door shut.

“Do we have to?” James asked sadly.

“I’m sorry James, but yes you do.” Hermione stood up strait and walked over to her nephews. “I promise you though, I will do everything I can to help your dad.”

“Thanks Aunt Hermione.” Al said quietly. 

James stood up. “Can I go to my room?”

“Sure kido.” Ron said. 

James ran out of the room and headed to his room, Albus ran after him. Once both boys got to their room they stayed there in silence. Thinking about how everything had changed, again.

HP******

Severus Snape glared at the letter sitting before him, ‘Leave it to you boy to get me involved with your problems.’ Snape stood and walked over to his liquor cabinet and grabbed a bottle of fire whiskey and a glass. Seething he poured himself a hefty amount and gulped it down in one swig. ‘Damn you Potter, damn you!’

Still enraged he walked back over to his chair and sat down. He practically slammed the bottle and glass onto his desk. Again he glanced at the letter that the ministry had sent him.

Dear, Professor S. T. Snape,

It is my deepest regret to have to inform you that your son, Mr. Harry James Potter, was injured in the line of duty last Thursday. While I cannot give you the specifics as too how your son was wounded I can notify you that it was for a noble cause. Now as to the extent of your son’s injuries it is the following;

 #1Minor Concussion

#2Broken Arm

#3Broken Leg

#4Deaged

Again I am deeply sorry for how this must affect you. I also must inform you that while your son is unable to care for his children you have been given guardianship of them. A Ministry official will be bringing your grandchildren to your home tomorrow.

The Ministry is doing everything that it can for your son Professor. May Merlin bless your family and be with you in this difficult time.

Sincerely,                        

                Angus Wilfred, Minister of Magic

Snape sneered and gulped down another glass of whiskey, ‘Guardianship of his brats, just what I wanted.’ Sighing Snape leaned back and closed his eyes. ‘How did I get stuck with this hell of a life?

For the remainder of the night Snape continued to drink his whiskey. It wasn’t until sunrise that Severus Snape finally passed out.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2114