Grandpa Severus by Nightshade
Summary: When Harry is inexplicably deaged while working a case undercover, his children are suddenly left without a place to live, as Ginny died a few years ago in a tragic Quidditch accident. After an array of problems with other family options, the kids end up living with their paternal grandfather, Severus Snape, whom they've never met. Severus must learn to live with James, Al, and Lily, as well as explain to them why he and Harry remained estranged, even after learning that they were blood relations.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Deaging
Takes Place: 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: None
Prompts: Grandpa Severus
Challenges: Grandpa Severus
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 5400 Read: 14120 Published: 30 Mar 2010 Updated: 02 Apr 2010
Meeting Snape part Two by Nightshade

Lily sat between her brothers as they sat silently on the bed in the bedroom Snape had sent them too. She wrapped her arms tightly around herself as she thought about how mean and cranky their grandfather had looked. He scared her something awful!           

“He’s a greasy git.” James muttered.           

“Better not let him hear you call him that,” Albus said in a bored tone. “I bet he’s worse than Aunt Minerva, punishment wise.”

Snape stood silently outside the room listening, ‘You’d win that bet boy.’ He thought.

“Still, he didn’t have to shout or insult dad like that.” James snapped. “He doesn’t even know us and he hates us.”

Lily nodded her head firmly in agreement.

“Plus he scared Lily,” James added. “Lily didn’t do anything to him.”

Lily again nodded her head to Albus.

“I’m warning you Jamie; don’t push your luck with him. I’ve got a bad feeling about him.”

Snape raised an eyebrow. ‘Apparently Potter had at least one son with half a brain.’

“Lily says she’s got a bad feeling about him too.” Albus added.

‘Lily says? I thought she didn’t speak.’ Snape opened the door slightly so he could watch the three children. Luckily they hadn’t noticed his presence. He watched as the small red headed girl locked eyes with James. No words were spoken but it was clear they were conversing. ‘Fascinating, she seems to have a natural ability for Occlumency.’ Snape tilted his head as he watched the small child. ‘She looks almost exactly like Lily. Though she doesn’t have her eyes, she inherited the Weasley’s blue eyes.’ Slowly he turned his gaze to James. He was unquestionably a Weasley. He resembled his uncle Ron a great deal. Finally Snape turned his eyes to Albus. Snape swallowed slightly. He was literally a spitting image of his father. He even had his eyes, Lily’s eyes. ‘Damn!’           

Sighing Snape pushed the door completely open and glared at the trio of Potters.           

Albus visible gulped.           

Lily held on tight to Demon who was lying beside and on top of her. Demon growled but kept his head resting upon his mistress’s lap.           

James just glared right back at Snape.           

“I suggest you wipe that scowl off your face, otherwise you will see what I’m like when I’m truly irritated, boy.” Snape growled.           

James’s face quickly went blank.           

Smart boy,’ Snape stepped further into the room and eyed the children. “Do you know who I am?”           

“Professor Severus Snape, sir.” Al said respectfully or what he hoped was respectfully.           

“Correct.” Snape clasped his hands behind his back. “Until your father is…improved…you are to be staying with me.” His gaze grew hard. “Rest assured I’m no happier about this arrangement then you.”           

James snorted quietly.           

Snape’s eyes locked with James’s. “Do you have something you wish to share, Mr. Potter?”           

Ignoring the look Lily and Albus gave him James stood and said, “Yeah, I do have something to say. I think you’re a grouch. You don’t even know us and you hate us. That doesn’t make any sense.”           

Al shook his head and placed his head in his hands. ‘James is dead…and he’s going to take Lily and me with him.’            

Snape raised an eyebrow, his face appeared completely calm but his voice informed them otherwise. “I ‘hate you’ as you say, Mr. Potter, because you are exactly as I thought you’d be. A spoiled little boy who thinks he can say and do whatever he likes. That is the first thing you had better learn Mr. Potter. I DO NOT tolerate disrespect. You will respect me, or you will most assuredly regret it.”           

James looked like he was going to say something when Lily hit him hard on the arm and glared. Clearly she was telling him to ‘Shut up!’           

Snape eyed the witch and said emotionlessly. “The same goes for you and your brother, Miss Potter.”           

Lily merely nodded.           

“How old are you?” Snape demanded. He knew how old she was but wanted to see how she’d respond.           

Lily turned to James.           

“She’s,”           

“I believe I asked Miss. Potter, Mr. Potter.” Snape snapped.           

James glared.           

“If you glare at me one more time Mr. Potter you will regret it!” Snape snarled.           

James slowly removed his glare but it was clear he was furious.           

“Miss. Potter, how old are you?”           

Lily held up seven fingers.           

“Speak.”           

Lily shook her head.           

“Are you incapable of speaking?”           

Lily blinked confused.           

“Do you know how to speak Miss Potter?” Snape asked lowly clearly losing what little patience he had.            

Lily slowly nodded once.           

“Then speak.”           

Lily shook her head.           

This infuriated Snape, he hated it when people, especially annoying children, refused to follow an order. Snape stepped closer to Lily and said in a low voice. “When I ask you something you will speak. Am I understood Miss Potter?”           

Lily trembled causing Demon to jump to the floor and stand protectively in front of Lily. Growling the large wolfhound bared his teeth, his dark black eyes flashing red.           

Snape blinked. “That dog is a demon?!”           

“Half demon actually,” Albus said.           

Snape blinked and slumped slightly. “How is it possible?”           

“It’s really a funny story actually,” Al began but the look Snape gave him shut him up. “Anyway he’s bonded to the family, especially Lily seeing as she found him.” He hastily mumbled.           

“That thing will not be staying here.” Snape said firmly.           

Lily’s eyes filled with tears and she wrapped her arms around Demon who, sensing her distress, licked her face tenderly.           

“I’m contacting Shacklebolt to come and take it back.” Snape turned to walk away but stopped when he felt small arms wrap around his legs. Lily had literally sprung to Snape and was holding on for dear life. Tears streamed down her cheeks silently as she shook her head over and over again; silently pleading with Snape not to take Demon away.           

“Sir, please don’t send Demon away!” Al begged. “He’s really a good dog. And he won’t be a bother…we promise. We’ll look after him. We always do! He’s our responsibility at home. Please don’t take him away!”           

“Yeah, and we’ll behave ourselves. We swear!” James added.           

Snape heard what the boys were saying but his eyes were fixed on the small girl hanging onto his legs. She seemed so fragile, so much like her grandmother and name sake. Why was it that Fate was always conspiring against him? Sighing Snape grabbed Lily’s arms and pulled her away. “I will hold you to your word. If you behave…and take care of the mutt then you may keep him.” The boys and Lily smiled broadly. “However, one screw up and it’s gone! Understood?”           

“Yes, sir,” Al and James said in unison.           

Lily nodded her head firmly, still smiling and saluted Snape.           

Snape glared. “And I don’t take kindly to cheek.”           

Lily quickly stopped smiling and bowed her head solemnly.           

That’s better.’ Snape thought. Though for some reason his heart wasn’t completely in it. “Have any of you eaten lunch?”           

“No sir.” They replied.           

“Follow me.” Snape turned and exited the room. Al and James followed their grandfather silently down the stairs. Lily pet Demon and motioned for him to stay put, not wanting to test her grandfather’s patience and have him change his mind.           

“While you are here you will have chores. One of you will help wash the dishes, one of you will dry, and the third will put them away. Everyday someone will have a different job. If you cannot agree on who does what then I will decide for you and I’ll make sure none of you are happy about it. Understood?”           

The children nodded.           

“You will be expected to keep your room clean and to make sure you have clean clothes.” He stopped at the doorway into the kitchen and glared. “If you wait until you have no clothes to inform me that you need to use the wash then you will be punished.”           

Lily tugged at James’s sleeve and motioned with her head.           

“Lily wants to know what you’d do to punish us.” He asked reluctantly. He personally didn’t want to know.           

Snape snorted and eyed Lily. “I’ll make you wash them the old muggle fashioned way, with nothing but a sink, water, and soap.”           

Lily made a face but nodded.           

Snape pushed the door open revealing a small kitchen/dining room. It wasn’t anything fancy but it served its purpose. “Sit.”           

The children went to the table and sat, wondering what else their strange and bad-tempered grandfather would say.           

“Here are the rules. Bedtime is 7:30, lights out at 8:00.”           

“What?” James asked. “We haven’t gone to bed that early in years!”           

Snape glared.           

James gulped and shrank into his seat.           

“You will also not be allowed to leave the house without me,”           

"What do you mean leave the house?” Al asked.           

“I mean exactly what I said, Mr. Potter. You are to stay indoors unless I tell you otherwise or am with you.” Snape answered darkly.           

Lily’s eyes widened and she started making motions with her hands; she was using sign language now.           

“Lily wants to know how we are going to walk Demon and let him… take care of himself.” James blushed. “He can’t stay in the house forever.”           

Snape traced his upper lip for a moment before saying slowly. “You may let him out back, granted he stays away from my garden.”           

Lily nodded.           

“You are to show me respect. And you are to keep yourselves where you belong. That means you are not allowed in my Potions lab or in my study unless I give you permission. And you are never allowed in my bedroom.”           

The children glanced at each other, ‘Like they’d want to go in there.’           

“As for punishments,”           

This got their attention.           

“If you use fowl language I will solve the problem by washing your mouth out. You will be given three chances, if you repeat your offense a third time you will have your mouth washed. If you’re lucky I’ll use a bar of soap,” Snape glared, “If you’re lucky.”           

Al glanced at James. ‘What happens if they weren’t lucky?’           

“If you break any of my other rules or are disrespectful you will be grounded and forced to write an essay.” Snape leaned forward and eyed each child for a few minutes before saying slowly and clearly. “My most important rule is that you keep yourselves out of trouble! Something your father and aunt and uncle could never do.” Snape leaned back and eyed them. “You will abide by my rules, especially that one. I don’t want another trouble trio in my life.”           

They nodded solemnly.           

Sighing Snape waved his wand and made several sandwiches appear. “Eat, when you’re done I will show you around the house and where you will be staying.”           

Slowly each child took a sandwich and began to eat. At first it was totally silent but then Albus couldn’t take it anymore. “What are we supposed to call you?”           

Snape blinked, slightly surprised by the question.           

Lily and James stopped eating and waited for the answer.           

Quickly he recovered and said stiffly, “Professor, or sir.”

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2114