Grandpa Severus by Nightshade
Summary: When Harry is inexplicably deaged while working a case undercover, his children are suddenly left without a place to live, as Ginny died a few years ago in a tragic Quidditch accident. After an array of problems with other family options, the kids end up living with their paternal grandfather, Severus Snape, whom they've never met. Severus must learn to live with James, Al, and Lily, as well as explain to them why he and Harry remained estranged, even after learning that they were blood relations.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Deaging
Takes Place: 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: None
Prompts: Grandpa Severus
Challenges: Grandpa Severus
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 5400 Read: 14119 Published: 30 Mar 2010 Updated: 02 Apr 2010

1. The Day Everything Changed by Nightshade

2. Meeting Snape part One by Nightshade

3. Meeting Snape part Two by Nightshade

The Day Everything Changed by Nightshade

  Albus, Lily, and James Potter sat in silence as the adults talked quietly about what was going to happen to them. None of the children understood what was happening; all they knew was that this was exactly what it had been like on that fateful day their mother had died.

  Al glanced at his older brother and said softly, “What do you think happened Jamie?”

  James remained stiff and silent, he was ten going on eleven, normally he would have been full of energy and making some kind of joke but he knew this was serious. So he was acting serious; for both Al’s and Lily’s sake. “I don’t know Al.”

   Lily lay curled up like a cat beside their wolfhound, Demon. Silently she watched as the adults spoke in rushed quiet tones.

   Demon whined and licked Lily’s face, sensing his mistress’ distress.

   “Easy boy,” Al said.

    Demon placed his head down and relaxed.

   Everything was silent. Al glanced down the hall and saw Aunt Hermione pacing back and forth. Some thing was defiantly wrong.

  “Ron…what are we going to tell the kids?” Hermione wrung her hands together and continued to pace.

  “The truth, Hermione,” Ron said sadly. “What else can we do?”

  Tears filled Hermione’s eyes. “I know, I know. But Ron…the ministry won’t let us take them in? Why?”

  Ron shook his head. “I don’t know the minister’s keeping his mouth shut about that, said something about a paternal family member(s) needing to take them in.”

Hermione swore and continued to pace. “Will they let us take Harry in?”

  “I’m trying to find out about that.” Ron stood and gently took Hermione by the shoulders. “Luv, the kids are watching you. You need to stop.”

  Hermione spun around and saw that her nephews and niece were indeed watching her. Placing a hand over her mouth Hermione swallowed a sob; “Oh Ron, those poor kids.”

  “I know, I know.” Ron sighed. “We have to tell them.”

  Hermione took in a deep breath and nodded, “Alright.” 

 Ron turned to the doorway and motioned for the kids to come in. “Come here guys.”

  Slowly James and Al stood and walked over toward their uncle and aunt. Lily remained where she was. She didn’t want to know. Demon whined and licked Lily’s hand in silent comfort.

Hermione walked over to her niece and gently brushed Lily’s hair out of the way. “Sweetie, we need to tell you something.”

  Lily remained silent.

  Hermione pulled Lily into her arms and walked back into the dining room. Once everyone was seated Ron began to speak. “There’s no easy way to say this guys…your dad had an accident.”

Al closed his eyes to keep himself from crying. Lily made a face and hugged her aunt tightly.

“He’s…he’s ok right?” James pleaded.

“He’s alive,” Ron began. “But…he’s not…he’s not like you’d expect him to be.”

 “What do you mean Uncle Ron?” Al asked. 

“I mean Al that your dad has been deaged.”

 Al blinked, “What’s deaged Uncle Ron?”

 “It’s when you become younger than you really are Al,” Hermione said quietly.

James laughed in relief. “So…so he’s not dead? Dad’s ok?”

“Kind of James,” Ron answered.

Lily tilted her head in question.

“He’s a baby now.” Hermione said gently.

Everyone went silent. Al and James shot each other a glance; neither knew whether to laugh or to be totally freaked, or both.

They settled for freaked.

“How the bloody hell did dad get deaged?” James demanded.

“James Sirius Potter, watch your mouth.” Hermione admonished.

“Sorry aunt Hermione.” James said shamefaced.

Hermione nodded.

“To answer your question James,” Ron said. “Your dad was on a mission, he was trying to catch a wizard while he was in his lab and a…a potion exploded.”

“Oh.” James folded his arms. ‘No dramatic battle then.’ He thought.

“What happened to the bad wizard?” Al asked.

“He was also deaged.”

“Good. Serves him right,” Al glared down at the table. ‘Stupid git, you hurt my dad.

Lily pulled herself away from Hermione and went to sit beside Demon. The seven year old witch wrapped her arms around Demon’s neck and buried her face in his black pelt.

“Oh, Lily,” Hermione went and knelt down beside Lily. “Sweetie, your dad is going to be just fine. Grandma and Grandpa have already said they’d take Harry while Aunt Minerva, Uncle Filius, and I look for the cure. Everything’s going to be alright.”

“The ministry will let grams and gramps take Dad?” James asked remembering what he’d heard.

“They’d better.” Ron growled.  

“Ronald.” Hermione glared and then motioned with her eyes toward the children.

“Right, sorry.” Ron pulled his fingers through his hair. Sighing, “Guys there’s one more thing we have to tell you.”

“What, Uncle Ron?” Al asked.

Ron and Hermione shot each other a sad look before continuing. “Guys, apparently there is a law that states…that states you guys can’t stay with us.”

“WHAT?!” Albus and James jumped to their feet’s.

“But why Uncle Ron, why can’t we stay with you?” Al asked with tears in his eyes.

“Yeah, why can’t we?” James demanded. 

“I don’t know guys, but you are going to have to stay with…with your grandfather.”

The kids glanced at each other. “I thought dad was staying with grandma and grandpa?” Al said.

“Not Grandpa Weasley, Al, your dad’s dad.” Hermione said sadly.

James blinked. “No…no way. Dad said his dad was dead. Grandpa James and Grandma Lily died when he was a baby.”

“Your dad’s step dad died with your grandma Lily. But your dad’s birth father is still alive.” Hermione said quietly.

“Why haven’t we met him?” Al asked.

“I don’t know Al.” Ron said. 

Lily glared and got to her feet. She walked over to Al and looked him in the eyes. Al nodded. “Lily wants to know why we have to live with him.”

“Because he’s your paternal grandfather,” Hermione answered.

Lily tapped Albus and looked him in the eye again.

“When do we have to go?”

“Tomorrow, a ministry official is going to bring you.” 

Lily turned and ran out of the room. Demon stood and went after her. For a few moments all they could hear was a ‘Thud, thud, thud’ from the giant dog. Then there was a ‘Bang!’ when Lily slammed her door shut.

“Do we have to?” James asked sadly.

“I’m sorry James, but yes you do.” Hermione stood up strait and walked over to her nephews. “I promise you though, I will do everything I can to help your dad.”

“Thanks Aunt Hermione.” Al said quietly. 

James stood up. “Can I go to my room?”

“Sure kido.” Ron said. 

James ran out of the room and headed to his room, Albus ran after him. Once both boys got to their room they stayed there in silence. Thinking about how everything had changed, again.

HP******

Severus Snape glared at the letter sitting before him, ‘Leave it to you boy to get me involved with your problems.’ Snape stood and walked over to his liquor cabinet and grabbed a bottle of fire whiskey and a glass. Seething he poured himself a hefty amount and gulped it down in one swig. ‘Damn you Potter, damn you!’

Still enraged he walked back over to his chair and sat down. He practically slammed the bottle and glass onto his desk. Again he glanced at the letter that the ministry had sent him.

Dear, Professor S. T. Snape,

It is my deepest regret to have to inform you that your son, Mr. Harry James Potter, was injured in the line of duty last Thursday. While I cannot give you the specifics as too how your son was wounded I can notify you that it was for a noble cause. Now as to the extent of your son’s injuries it is the following;

 #1Minor Concussion

#2Broken Arm

#3Broken Leg

#4Deaged

Again I am deeply sorry for how this must affect you. I also must inform you that while your son is unable to care for his children you have been given guardianship of them. A Ministry official will be bringing your grandchildren to your home tomorrow.

The Ministry is doing everything that it can for your son Professor. May Merlin bless your family and be with you in this difficult time.

Sincerely,                        

                Angus Wilfred, Minister of Magic

Snape sneered and gulped down another glass of whiskey, ‘Guardianship of his brats, just what I wanted.’ Sighing Snape leaned back and closed his eyes. ‘How did I get stuck with this hell of a life?

For the remainder of the night Snape continued to drink his whiskey. It wasn’t until sunrise that Severus Snape finally passed out.
To be continued...
Meeting Snape part One by Nightshade

Lily quietly opened the door to her bedroom and stepped out into the hall. Everyone was asleep, and the moon was still high up in the sky. Demon whined causing Lily to glare and put a finger to her lips to silence the wolfhound.

Swiftly she tiptoed toward her father’s bedroom and opened the door. The bed was made and everything was sill exactly as he’d left it almost two days ago. Tears welled up in Lily’s eyes, sniffing she walked over to her father’s wardrobe and pulled out his favorite sweater, it was one that Ginny had made for him. She brought it to her face and sniffed it. Her daddy’s scent was still there, a small comfort.

“What are you doing Lily?” Albus asked.

Lily practically jumped out of her skin she was so scared. Her older brothers stood there in their pajamas watching their little sister clutch their father’s favorite sweater.

Al cautiously entered the bedroom until he stood beside his little sister. “I miss him to, Lil.”

Lily silently cried and clung to the sweater like her very life depended on it.

James came up to her and knelt down so they were at eye level. “Come on Lil, everything’s gonna be ok. You heard Aunt Hermione. She and uncle Filius, and Aunt Minerva won’t rest until he’s back to normal.”

Lily locked eyes with James and sniffed.

“I promise.” James said.

Lily turned to Albus.

“I promise too.”

Lily reached out and pet Demon who had silently followed the children into his master’s room.

“Come on, we should get some rest.” James said quietly.

Lily turned and climbed onto her father’s bed. Demon barked softly and leapt up after her. Turning around a couple of times in a circle he lay down beside Lily, content to just stay there with her.

Lily placed her thumb in her mouth and closed her eyes.           

James shook his head and sighed.           

Al just shrugged and climbed in next to Lily. “Come on Jamie, you know you want to.”           

James snorted but climbed up and laid himself down beside Demon.           

Al stared up at the ceiling for a few moments then he looked down and watched Lily sleep beside him. “Do you think she’ll ever start talking again?” He asked James.

James kept his eyes closed but spoke, “Honestly? I don’t know it’s been year Al.”           

Al sighed. “I can’t believe she just stopped talking though. It’s unreal.”           

“We’ve had this conversation before.” James said.           

“Yeah I know.” Al sighed again.            

James opened his eyes and sat up so he was looking down at Albus. “Can you really blame her though? I mean she was with mum when…when it happened.”           

“No. I can’t blame her.”            

James sighed and lay back down. “Go to sleep Al.”           

 “Ok, night James.”           

“Night, Al.”           

Soon all three Potters were asleep.                 

HP******

Hermione and Ron woke the kids up early so they could double check their things. The ministry official was to arrive before noon. Al and James muttered and glared the whole time they packed while Lily just silently packed up the things she was bringing and walked around the house like she was haunted.            

But everyone was used to that by now, unfortunately.           

“Ron, Snape has no idea what these kids have been through,” Hermione snapped as they waited for the MO to arrive. “He’s not the type of person to be able to handle them, especially Lily!” She added vehemently.            

 “Hermione, there is nothing we can do right now.” Ron said sadly. “You have no idea how long it took us to convince them to let us keep Harry. They wanted to send him off to St. Mungos!”           

Hermione glared and started cursing again.           

“Rose and Hugo have asked if they can visit them too, luv.” Ron informed his wife.           

“Let’s just see how this falls out Ron.” Hermione said darkly.           

 “Alright, luv,” Ron sighed and glanced up and noticed Lily standing there looking at them. “Hi princess, are you alight?”           

Lily slowly walked over to her uncle and hugged him tightly.           

Ron kissed his nieces head and hugged her back.            

“We’re ready Aunt Hermione, Uncle Ron.” Al said sadly.           

Hermione smiled at her nephews and motioned for them to come into the den. The boys piled their stuff next to Lily’s and slowly approached the sofa and sat down beside their uncle. “Now boys, be on your best behavior while with your grandfather. He’s a very strict person so it’s best to stay on his good side,” Hermione said.           

“Like the git has a good side.” Ron muttered under his breath.           

 “Ron!” Hermione snapped.           

 “Sorry.” Ron turned so he was facing the boys. “Al, most likely your grandfather will be really strict with you because you look so much like your old man. Don’t take it to heart ok, you show him respect…he’ll most likely lay off you.”           

“Ron!” Hermione hissed.           

“It’s true Hermione; I’m not going to send these kids over there only to have them totally taken by surprise.”           

Hermione sighed.           

Ron turned his gaze to James. “James, being the little prankster you are you will defiantly be on his watch list. Be good, don’t do any pranks or cause any trouble.” Ron suddenly turned red and eyed him sternly. “Don’t tease your brother and sister and absolutely NO SPIT BOMBS!”           

James blushed. ‘It was only that one time.’           

Al snickered.           

“That goes for you too young man,” Hermione said sternly. “It’s in your best interest to behave yourself. Understood?”           

“Yes Aunt Hermione.” Al said.           

Ron turned his eyes to Lily. “Lily, most likely your grandfather will be very hard on you too, because of…your lack of communication. So…just be a good girl alright.”           

 Lily nodded.           

Demon barked.           

“Lily wants to take Demon with her.” James said.           

“I don’t know,” Hermione began.           

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK!           

Everyone went silent.            

‘Pop!’ Kreacher appeared before them. “Mr. Shacklebolt is here.”           

“Thank you Kreacher.” Ron said.           

Al turned to face the old house elf. “I’ll miss you Kreacher.”           

Kreacher smiled gently. “Kreacher will miss the Masters and Mistress as well.”           

Demon barked.           

“Yes, yes and the oversized rug too,” Kreacher muttered.           

Lily smiled and waved to Kreacher. Kreacher smiled back and walked up to his Mistress. “If Mistress is ever in need just calls me.”           

Lily got down off her uncle’s lap and hugged the old elf.           

Kreacher coughed and left again with a ‘pop’.           

Mr. Shacklebolt entered to den and smiled sadly at the family. “Hello everyone, I wish I could be here for a happier reason.”           

“Hello, Kingsley.” Hermione said politely.           

Kingsley sighed and glanced at the kids. “You all ready to go?”           

Al turned to his aunt and uncle, “Can’t you come with us? Please.”           

“I’m sorry Al, we can’t.” Hermione embraced her youngest nephew and gently kissed his head. “But we will visit you as soon as we can. I promise.”           

James gave a ‘humph’ and went to grab his bags.           

Al hugged his aunt before turning to grab his things too.           

Lily trembled slightly before going to grab her own bag and Demon’s leash. She wouldn’t leave without him.           

Kingsley moved over to Hermione and Ron, “Do you really think Snape’ll let them keep the dog?”           

“I hope so,” Hermione said quietly. “Lily needs Demon; she’s very dependent on him.”           

Kingsley nodded. “Well, we should be off. Come on, lads, little lady.” Kingsley bowed slightly to Lily. “We’ll be going by floo powder. Have any of you used it before?”           

“Al and I have,” James said. “Lily has too, but only with dad or…or mum.”           

Kingsley nodded, “Very well, here is your floo powder, boys.” Al and James each took a handful.  “Lily, would you mind it if I carried you through?”           

Lily shook her head.           

“I can take Demon,” Al said to his little sister.           

Lily handed Albus the leash.           

“Ok the address is Snape residence, Spinner’s End.”           

James and Al looked at each other and swallowed.            

“Do you want me to go first?” Kingsley asked quietly.           

“Please.” Al said softly.           

Kingsley smiled gently and ruffled up Albus’s hair. He stepped into the fireplace and nodded once to Ron and Hermione. “Hold on tightly, lass.”           

Lily closed her eyes and gripped Kingsley hard.           

“Snape Residence, Spinner’s End,” in a burst of green flames they were gone.           

Al waved once to his aunt and uncle before leading Demon into the fire place with him and said loudly, “Snape Residence, Spinner’s End!” then he too was gone.           

James being the last merely walked forward and repeated what the other’s had done. “See us soon. Please.” Then he was gone.           

Hermione gasped and finally broke down sobbing. Ron gently held his wife whispering they’d be fine over and over again. 

HP*****            

Kingsley landed easily in the small study. “Severus, Severus are you here?”           

“Where else would I be, Shacklebolt?” A silky voice asked.           

Lily trembled and kept her face hidden in Kingsley’s robes.           

“Where are the other two?” Snape asked as he remained seated where he was.           

Kingsley looked around. The study looked like someone had had a duel in it. Snape himself looked like his normal greasy self except for some dark bags under his eyes. There was an empty bottle of whiskey and a half filled glass beside him. “You’re drunk.”           

“Not that it is any of your concern, Shacklebolt but I was drunk.” Snape sneered.           

Unfortunately Lily had chosen then to look up. She locked eyes with Snape for a moment before she hid her face again.           

Just then Albus and Demon fell through the fire place closely followed by James.           

“Ah, here they are.” Snape said darkly.           

James glared and got to his feet.           

Demon growled and bared his teeth at the man that smelled of death and hurt.           

“What…is …that…thing?” Snape growled while glaring at Demon.           

“That’s Demon, sir.” Albus said quietly.           

Snape locked eyes with Albus before sneering. “You’re the spitting image of your father.”           

Albus felt anger fill him.           

“Hey lay off our dad, he’s the greatest man there is.” James snapped angrily.           

Snape’s eyes narrowed, “Oh really? Let me enlighten you of something Mr. Potter. Your father is an arrogant, attention seeking fool. And it is no wonder he is in the position he is in now. I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner.”           

James glared and was about to say something when the whiskey bottle shattered. Quickly he turned and stared at Lily. She was shaking like a leaf. “Now look what you’ve done, you git.” James didn’t care that he was being disrespectful. He was scaring his baby sister.           

Albus glared to and went over to Lily. “It’s ok Lil,” he said softly, “Just calm down ok?”           

Kingsley glared at Snape.           

Snape glared at James and seemed ready to hex him when finally he seemed to calm himself. “Leave this room, and go up the stairs. You are not to go into any of the rooms except for the one with the door open. You are to STAY THERE or you will suffer the consequences. Am I understood?”           

James seemed ready to argue but Albus elbowed him and shook his head.            

Kingsley gently pulled Lily away from him and set her down onto the ground. “Lily, go with your brothers ok?”           

Lily looked like she’d rather do anything but, but she slowly nodded her head and motioned with her hand for Demon to come with her.            

Panting, the large dog trotted over to her and licked her hand.           

Albus took Lily’s hand and gently tugged her away toward the door.           

Once they were gone Snape exploded. “Take…them…back…now!”            

“Severus, whether you like it or not they are your grandchildren. And right now they need you to let them stay here. Not give them a hard time!” Kingsley said.           

“I don’t want them. I didn’t want their father, I don’t want them. I just want to be left alone!” Snape snapped. Glaring he stomped over to his chair and sat himself down.           

“Severus…they have to stay here. It’s the law.”           

Snape glared.           

“There are some things you should know about your grandchildren.”           

“Don’t call them that.”           

“Lily especially,” Kingsley went on as though Snape hadn’t spoke. “She doesn’t speak, Severus.”           

Snape blinked. “She’s mute?”           

“She just stopped talking. Healers say it’s because of her mother’s death. She hasn’t said one word in over a year.” Kingsley said sadly.           

Snape closed his eyes and pinched his nose, ‘Just what I need a traumatized child.’

“How old is she?”           

“She’s seven, Albus is nine, and James is ten going on eleven.”           

Snape sighed, “How long?”           

“I beg your pardon?”           

“How long must I keep these brats under my roof?”           

“Until Harry is cured,” Kingsley said darkly.           

Which had better be soon,’ Snape thought forebodingly.

Kingsley sighed and turned to leave, “And one more thing. Leave the dog alone. Those kids need him. He’s all they’ve got left seeing as you don’t seem to give a damn.” With one final dark look Kingsley left the Snape home.           

 Snape glared at the spot where Kingsley had been then he looked up toward the ceiling. Why did some higher being hate him so much?               

To be continued...
Meeting Snape part Two by Nightshade

Lily sat between her brothers as they sat silently on the bed in the bedroom Snape had sent them too. She wrapped her arms tightly around herself as she thought about how mean and cranky their grandfather had looked. He scared her something awful!           

“He’s a greasy git.” James muttered.           

“Better not let him hear you call him that,” Albus said in a bored tone. “I bet he’s worse than Aunt Minerva, punishment wise.”

Snape stood silently outside the room listening, ‘You’d win that bet boy.’ He thought.

“Still, he didn’t have to shout or insult dad like that.” James snapped. “He doesn’t even know us and he hates us.”

Lily nodded her head firmly in agreement.

“Plus he scared Lily,” James added. “Lily didn’t do anything to him.”

Lily again nodded her head to Albus.

“I’m warning you Jamie; don’t push your luck with him. I’ve got a bad feeling about him.”

Snape raised an eyebrow. ‘Apparently Potter had at least one son with half a brain.’

“Lily says she’s got a bad feeling about him too.” Albus added.

‘Lily says? I thought she didn’t speak.’ Snape opened the door slightly so he could watch the three children. Luckily they hadn’t noticed his presence. He watched as the small red headed girl locked eyes with James. No words were spoken but it was clear they were conversing. ‘Fascinating, she seems to have a natural ability for Occlumency.’ Snape tilted his head as he watched the small child. ‘She looks almost exactly like Lily. Though she doesn’t have her eyes, she inherited the Weasley’s blue eyes.’ Slowly he turned his gaze to James. He was unquestionably a Weasley. He resembled his uncle Ron a great deal. Finally Snape turned his eyes to Albus. Snape swallowed slightly. He was literally a spitting image of his father. He even had his eyes, Lily’s eyes. ‘Damn!’           

Sighing Snape pushed the door completely open and glared at the trio of Potters.           

Albus visible gulped.           

Lily held on tight to Demon who was lying beside and on top of her. Demon growled but kept his head resting upon his mistress’s lap.           

James just glared right back at Snape.           

“I suggest you wipe that scowl off your face, otherwise you will see what I’m like when I’m truly irritated, boy.” Snape growled.           

James’s face quickly went blank.           

Smart boy,’ Snape stepped further into the room and eyed the children. “Do you know who I am?”           

“Professor Severus Snape, sir.” Al said respectfully or what he hoped was respectfully.           

“Correct.” Snape clasped his hands behind his back. “Until your father is…improved…you are to be staying with me.” His gaze grew hard. “Rest assured I’m no happier about this arrangement then you.”           

James snorted quietly.           

Snape’s eyes locked with James’s. “Do you have something you wish to share, Mr. Potter?”           

Ignoring the look Lily and Albus gave him James stood and said, “Yeah, I do have something to say. I think you’re a grouch. You don’t even know us and you hate us. That doesn’t make any sense.”           

Al shook his head and placed his head in his hands. ‘James is dead…and he’s going to take Lily and me with him.’            

Snape raised an eyebrow, his face appeared completely calm but his voice informed them otherwise. “I ‘hate you’ as you say, Mr. Potter, because you are exactly as I thought you’d be. A spoiled little boy who thinks he can say and do whatever he likes. That is the first thing you had better learn Mr. Potter. I DO NOT tolerate disrespect. You will respect me, or you will most assuredly regret it.”           

James looked like he was going to say something when Lily hit him hard on the arm and glared. Clearly she was telling him to ‘Shut up!’           

Snape eyed the witch and said emotionlessly. “The same goes for you and your brother, Miss Potter.”           

Lily merely nodded.           

“How old are you?” Snape demanded. He knew how old she was but wanted to see how she’d respond.           

Lily turned to James.           

“She’s,”           

“I believe I asked Miss. Potter, Mr. Potter.” Snape snapped.           

James glared.           

“If you glare at me one more time Mr. Potter you will regret it!” Snape snarled.           

James slowly removed his glare but it was clear he was furious.           

“Miss. Potter, how old are you?”           

Lily held up seven fingers.           

“Speak.”           

Lily shook her head.           

“Are you incapable of speaking?”           

Lily blinked confused.           

“Do you know how to speak Miss Potter?” Snape asked lowly clearly losing what little patience he had.            

Lily slowly nodded once.           

“Then speak.”           

Lily shook her head.           

This infuriated Snape, he hated it when people, especially annoying children, refused to follow an order. Snape stepped closer to Lily and said in a low voice. “When I ask you something you will speak. Am I understood Miss Potter?”           

Lily trembled causing Demon to jump to the floor and stand protectively in front of Lily. Growling the large wolfhound bared his teeth, his dark black eyes flashing red.           

Snape blinked. “That dog is a demon?!”           

“Half demon actually,” Albus said.           

Snape blinked and slumped slightly. “How is it possible?”           

“It’s really a funny story actually,” Al began but the look Snape gave him shut him up. “Anyway he’s bonded to the family, especially Lily seeing as she found him.” He hastily mumbled.           

“That thing will not be staying here.” Snape said firmly.           

Lily’s eyes filled with tears and she wrapped her arms around Demon who, sensing her distress, licked her face tenderly.           

“I’m contacting Shacklebolt to come and take it back.” Snape turned to walk away but stopped when he felt small arms wrap around his legs. Lily had literally sprung to Snape and was holding on for dear life. Tears streamed down her cheeks silently as she shook her head over and over again; silently pleading with Snape not to take Demon away.           

“Sir, please don’t send Demon away!” Al begged. “He’s really a good dog. And he won’t be a bother…we promise. We’ll look after him. We always do! He’s our responsibility at home. Please don’t take him away!”           

“Yeah, and we’ll behave ourselves. We swear!” James added.           

Snape heard what the boys were saying but his eyes were fixed on the small girl hanging onto his legs. She seemed so fragile, so much like her grandmother and name sake. Why was it that Fate was always conspiring against him? Sighing Snape grabbed Lily’s arms and pulled her away. “I will hold you to your word. If you behave…and take care of the mutt then you may keep him.” The boys and Lily smiled broadly. “However, one screw up and it’s gone! Understood?”           

“Yes, sir,” Al and James said in unison.           

Lily nodded her head firmly, still smiling and saluted Snape.           

Snape glared. “And I don’t take kindly to cheek.”           

Lily quickly stopped smiling and bowed her head solemnly.           

That’s better.’ Snape thought. Though for some reason his heart wasn’t completely in it. “Have any of you eaten lunch?”           

“No sir.” They replied.           

“Follow me.” Snape turned and exited the room. Al and James followed their grandfather silently down the stairs. Lily pet Demon and motioned for him to stay put, not wanting to test her grandfather’s patience and have him change his mind.           

“While you are here you will have chores. One of you will help wash the dishes, one of you will dry, and the third will put them away. Everyday someone will have a different job. If you cannot agree on who does what then I will decide for you and I’ll make sure none of you are happy about it. Understood?”           

The children nodded.           

“You will be expected to keep your room clean and to make sure you have clean clothes.” He stopped at the doorway into the kitchen and glared. “If you wait until you have no clothes to inform me that you need to use the wash then you will be punished.”           

Lily tugged at James’s sleeve and motioned with her head.           

“Lily wants to know what you’d do to punish us.” He asked reluctantly. He personally didn’t want to know.           

Snape snorted and eyed Lily. “I’ll make you wash them the old muggle fashioned way, with nothing but a sink, water, and soap.”           

Lily made a face but nodded.           

Snape pushed the door open revealing a small kitchen/dining room. It wasn’t anything fancy but it served its purpose. “Sit.”           

The children went to the table and sat, wondering what else their strange and bad-tempered grandfather would say.           

“Here are the rules. Bedtime is 7:30, lights out at 8:00.”           

“What?” James asked. “We haven’t gone to bed that early in years!”           

Snape glared.           

James gulped and shrank into his seat.           

“You will also not be allowed to leave the house without me,”           

"What do you mean leave the house?” Al asked.           

“I mean exactly what I said, Mr. Potter. You are to stay indoors unless I tell you otherwise or am with you.” Snape answered darkly.           

Lily’s eyes widened and she started making motions with her hands; she was using sign language now.           

“Lily wants to know how we are going to walk Demon and let him… take care of himself.” James blushed. “He can’t stay in the house forever.”           

Snape traced his upper lip for a moment before saying slowly. “You may let him out back, granted he stays away from my garden.”           

Lily nodded.           

“You are to show me respect. And you are to keep yourselves where you belong. That means you are not allowed in my Potions lab or in my study unless I give you permission. And you are never allowed in my bedroom.”           

The children glanced at each other, ‘Like they’d want to go in there.’           

“As for punishments,”           

This got their attention.           

“If you use fowl language I will solve the problem by washing your mouth out. You will be given three chances, if you repeat your offense a third time you will have your mouth washed. If you’re lucky I’ll use a bar of soap,” Snape glared, “If you’re lucky.”           

Al glanced at James. ‘What happens if they weren’t lucky?’           

“If you break any of my other rules or are disrespectful you will be grounded and forced to write an essay.” Snape leaned forward and eyed each child for a few minutes before saying slowly and clearly. “My most important rule is that you keep yourselves out of trouble! Something your father and aunt and uncle could never do.” Snape leaned back and eyed them. “You will abide by my rules, especially that one. I don’t want another trouble trio in my life.”           

They nodded solemnly.           

Sighing Snape waved his wand and made several sandwiches appear. “Eat, when you’re done I will show you around the house and where you will be staying.”           

Slowly each child took a sandwich and began to eat. At first it was totally silent but then Albus couldn’t take it anymore. “What are we supposed to call you?”           

Snape blinked, slightly surprised by the question.           

Lily and James stopped eating and waited for the answer.           

Quickly he recovered and said stiffly, “Professor, or sir.”

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2114