How a Hat Changed Hogwarts by frodolove12
Summary: People don’t fit into labels, or neat little boxes. Can you ever say someone is really just smart, loyal, cunning, or brave? Never a mixture? Always a definitive line, thick and black, clean cut? No of course not. The sorting hat stops sorting. What effect will this have on Snape and a young Harry?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 6599 Read: 33740 Published: 07 Apr 2010 Updated: 27 Feb 2011
The Expressions of Severus Snape by frodolove12
Author's Notes:
Thanks to everyone who reviewed :)

I continued to watch as the young blonde went and sat by Potter. He dragged a nearby sleeping bag closer to him, and settled himself down. I was intent upon these two, and as the blonde began speaking I carefully read his lips. Yes, hats can read lips.

"I'm Draco," he began, looking at Harry curiously. "Harry," said Potter nervously. "What just happened?" asked Draco, though it seemed as if half to himself. "I-I don't know. The hat didn't say anything to me," said Harry, still nervous. Draco focused on Harry now, looking at him again. "I just want to thank you," Draco said with a small smile. "Thank me? For what?" asked Harry, completely confused. So far he had been getting dirty looks, whispers, and pointed fingers coming his way.

"Well, I don't know what you did, but you stopped the sorting," aid Draco, continuing to smile. "I didn't do anything," Harry insisted quietly. Draco shrugged, but continued to look happy. The only happy face I had seen so far.

"Why are you happy about the sorting being stopped?" asked Harry, who I could tell was interested. Draco paused a moment before answering. "You don't really know much about sorting, do you? I've heard you were raised by muggles," Draco began. Harry nodded, confirming both Draco's question and statement. "Then I guess it'll be kind of hard for you to understand. But I'll try to explain anyway."

I wondered what the boy was talking about. I'd never yet met a child who didn't like sorting. I'd met those who wanted to be in certain houses, or wanted their friends to be with them, but I'd never actually heard a student complain. This boy was odd, and I wondered why I hadn't realized this as I sat upon his head.

"All my family's been in Slytherin. There's been a lot of pressure on me all summer. But how am I supposed to control what house I get sorted into? Anyways, I didn't really know if I wanted to be in Slytherin. But if I didn't, father said I'd disgrace the family," Draco said, tone quieter now.

"I'm sorry," said Harry, and I could tell he really meant it. Apparently, so could Draco. "Thanks. But now I don't have to worry about it." Harry just nodded. "Something wrong?" Draco asked, looking concerned. Harry didn't say anything for a few minutes, but then spoke up. "What if everyone hates me because of this?" he said in a small voice. "How could anyone hate you? You're Harry Potter!" Draco said, trying to be comforting.

This was clearly the wrong thing to say, for Harry just continued to look miserable. "You should just relax. The teachers will figure out something to help make things better. I'm sure people will get over this. Eventually," said Draco, frowning a bit at how scared Harry looked.

"But what if they don't? And why did this have to happen to me? Is there something wrong with me?" Harry asked, voice becoming quieter and quieter as he spoke. "Of course not!" exclaimed Draco. "Don't be ridiculous. Everything will be fine. By the way, what's your favorite Quidditch team?" Draco asked, trying to lighten things up with happier subjects. "What's Quidditch?" asked Harry. "What's Quidditch? The best sport in the world!" said Draco, launching into an explanation of the game, and his experiences flying. "You'll see, it'll be great once we start flying." Harry was beginning to look happier, and I could see that the boys got along well.

This helped boost my confidence about this whole thing. Frankly, I was having my doubts about doing something so drastic. But clearly, these two were proof. What if they had been in different houses?

Just as I was indulging myself in thoughts about how I had made the right choice, Severus Snape walked into the hall. Silence fell around his intimidating presence, and no student dared to ask him a question. "Harry Potter," he said, voice soft yet commanding.

I watched as the young boy stood up, trembling slightly, and made his way over to the tall man. I also noted the look on Snape's face. Wonder.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2117