How a Hat Changed Hogwarts by frodolove12
Summary: People don’t fit into labels, or neat little boxes. Can you ever say someone is really just smart, loyal, cunning, or brave? Never a mixture? Always a definitive line, thick and black, clean cut? No of course not. The sorting hat stops sorting. What effect will this have on Snape and a young Harry?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 6599 Read: 33733 Published: 07 Apr 2010 Updated: 27 Feb 2011
Plastered Smiles by frodolove12
Author's Notes:
Thanks to everyone who reviewed, especially those who left long reviews or helped me out with my mistakes.

As the pair made their way closer to the doors, I watched as Snape paused. He then turned away from Potter and briskly strode over towards me, grabbing me off the table. As he carried me back to Potter without a word, I wondered why he had done it. What use could I possibly be? But really, I was quite pleased I would be able to witness whatever they decided to talk to Potter about. Better than staying here with all these unhappy children.

Snape led Potter and me into a room off of the Great Hall. The teachers were all sitting around it silently. I suppose they agreed to stop talking once Potter came in, fake smiles plastered on their faces. Trying to hide their tension and fear behind smiles. I doubt they fooled him. As I've said before, he's a bright child.

Snape gestured towards a seat, and Harry sat, nervously perched on the edge of the chair, hands fidgeting.

"Hello there, Harry," said McGonagall, her voice falsely sweet. As if nothing had just happened. I knew Harry wasn't buying it.

His bright green eyes darkened, a furrow formed between his eyes, and his voice was full of mistrust as he answered back, "Hello."

"We were just wondering if you could tell us anything the hat said to you?" she asked. Harry winced, barely noticeable. That was odd. None of the teachers noticed except Snape, who watched the child with his dark eyes.

"It didn't say anything to me that," Harry answered, voice quiet but firm.

McGonagall's smile faltered. "Are you quite sure? You're not in trouble you know. Even if it told you not to say anything, you must tell us."

Harry frowned before he spoke. "I am sure. It didn't say anything. Why would it tell me not to, even if it did? I think its message is clear enough," he answered.

I had to give the boy credit. He didn't crack under pressure, and he stood his ground. Traits of both Gryffindor and Slytherin.

The teachers weren't even pretending to be happy anymore. I could tell Potter noticed their attitude change once they realized he didn't have any information they wanted.

"Thank you, Mr. Potter," said one of the teachers, nodding towards Snape, who swiftly stood up and walked toward Harry.

"Come," he said, voice impassive like his face, while Harry slowly stood and left the room.

I wonder if Snape had said anything to him. I doubted it though, knowing the Potions Master rarely revealed what he was thinking right away. I also wondered what Potter told his new friend about his encounter with the teachers. Although I was stuck in a room with irritated professors, I can imagine what he told him. Yes, hats have imaginations.

A few minutes later, Snape returned. The teachers were at a loss. They tried questioning me, to no avail. Let them figure this out on their own. They were supposed to be highly skilled, weren't they? They could come up with a solution by themselves, couldn't they?

After about another hour of pointless conversation, the teachers got up tiredly and left, one by one. Finally, the only one left in the room was Snape, who walked over to me.

"Finally decided to do something?" he said snidely in my ear before picking me up and folding me, which hurt quite a lot, I might add.

Snape made his way to his private chambers in the dungeons, me along for the ride. There were a few things I was certain of. I had shaken Hogwarts, and this man might be a key to stabilizing it once more.

I also needed to talk to Harry Potter.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Review Please :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2117