How a Hat Changed Hogwarts by frodolove12
Summary: People don’t fit into labels, or neat little boxes. Can you ever say someone is really just smart, loyal, cunning, or brave? Never a mixture? Always a definitive line, thick and black, clean cut? No of course not. The sorting hat stops sorting. What effect will this have on Snape and a young Harry?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 6599 Read: 33734 Published: 07 Apr 2010 Updated: 27 Feb 2011
The First Step Toward Change by frodolove12
Author's Notes:
I know there's not much action in this chapter, but it takes it up to the place were I can start in with a lot more plot/character development next time. Sorry it's so short, but I've been busy with school. So tell me what you think :)

I spent the rest of the night in Snape’s office, until the clear morning rays of sun cut through my suspended rest like a knife. Hats can’t exactly sleep, but my mind calms down enough for me to rest. I suppose it would be like when humans are sleeping, and they have those moments when they are half awake, half asleep. Of course, that’s only an educated guess. Hats cannot sleep. Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to sleep, to dream. Yes, hats can be wistful.

Snape was nowhere to be found, and, basing my decision off of the fresh looking sunlight, I assumed he was at breakfast.

Resting upon the shelf as I was, I took the opportunity to survey my surroundings. Snape’s office was large, a somber looking wooden desk in one corner, large windows upon one wall, bookshelves upon the others, and some chairs before a fireplace. Snape must have forgotten to close the heavy black curtains last night with all the turmoil going on. I thought of him as the kind of person who would like his office dark. But then again, what did I know about him? Maybe he loved sunlight.

I was pulled out of my musing by a loud creaking noise. The dark wooden door had swung open, Snape striding in, walking so swiftly his billowing black robes seemed to be a blur. I was surprised that he came right towards me. What could he possibly want?

“The rest of the staff deems it necessary to consult with you again,” said Snape, voice low and quick. “They think they can get you to explain. But it won’t work, will it?” asked Snape in that same silky tone. I didn’t reply, so he simply grabbed me off the shelf and set off again with his long strides toward the Great Hall.

We entered the Great Hall, where I could see the purple sleeping bags of the night before had been cleared away. The Hall looked empty without the four house tables, and the distressed children milling around didn’t help. They stared at us as we passed, a few calling out to Snape, who ignored them as he made his way to the small room behind the staff table.

It discouraged me to see the teachers all sitting around the table, same hopeless and confused expressions on their faces as the night before. Weren’t they supposed to be the most magically trained and intelligent witches and wizards of the day? Then why was this causing them such distress?

Snape set me down on the center of the table, and the professors futilely questioned me again. It wasn’t long before Snape cut in.

“As I have previously mentioned, the hat isn’t going to talk,” he said, black eyes swiftly glancing at the assembled staff. “Seeing as this is a school, it would be wise if we started teaching,” he said, pausing as his words sank in.

“But-how? We have no idea what to do!” exclaimed Sprout, her gray hair flying in all directions and a frazzled look upon her normally good natured face.

“I would suggest setting up temporary dormitories for the students. Have them housed alphabetically, with a professor in charge of each section. At least until something else is done,” said Snape, tone icy.

Dumbledore nodded and spoke, “Yes, that seems to be a good idea. I’ll just go do the spells to create the dormitories, shall I? Severus, why don’t you go explain to the students.”

Finishing his cheerful speech, Dumbledore strode out of the room, leaving Snape fuming. He did not want to speak to the brats, didn’t wish to console them. But what could he do, seeing as the Headmaster had ordered him too?

` I saw the anger play out on Snape’s face before he carefully controlled it, still seeming impatient as he stalked out of the room.

Snape’s magically magnified voice drifted back towards me as he explained what was going to happen to the students. Immediately afterwards, I could hear the children’s whines and cries of outrage, their complaints of being separated from their friends.

Seeing as I am such an expert on children, I have noticed that they can make a big deal out of the smallest things, like this. Was it really true that they would never see their friends again? What about classes, meals, and free time?

Snape, however, not being a man known for his patience, spoke in a dangerously quiet voice that silenced the children, though I could still sense the feelings of anger and disappointment.

Next, I heard the ever cheerful voice of Albus Dumbledore speaking the children.

“As Professor Snape has already explained to you, we are drawing up a temporary alphabetical dormitory system. Children with last names A-G will be in dormitories together, with Professor Flitwick as their moderator. Last names H-L will be together, with Professor Sprout. M-R shall be sharing rooms, and have Professor Snape as their leader. And lastly S-Z will be together with Professor McGonagall. Please go toward your assigned teacher, who will you show you the way to your new rooms.”

Dumbledore stepped off the teacher’s platform and back into the room, explaining to the professors about their new charges and how the children’s dormitories would be located close to their own.

“And Severus, I think it would be wise if you took the Sorting Hat with you. You seem to understand it the best.”

As Dumbledore left, I could see Snape looked surprised at this suggestion, but nonetheless grabbed me again and headed out into the confusion that was the Great Hall.

Snape walked to an empty corner, simply waiting for the students to come and find him. He waved his wand and a list of the students he would be in charge of appeared before him. His black eyes scanned the page, and I could see them grow darker when he reached a certain spot.

Soon, a small assembly of children had gathered around Snape. The tiny first years looked quite frightened of him, and who could blame them? Snape was the least friendly teacher they could have been assigned too.

I saw Snape look up, and I guessed he had somehow sensed that all the students were here. That was when I noticed his gaze linger on one particular child in the group.

Harry Potter stood at the back, his large green eyes watching Snape warily. He seemed even tinier than the other first years, who were all dwarfed by some of the older students.

Potter looked even more afraid than the other students. Draco Malfoy was at his side, looking more at ease.

Snape continued to watch him, a furrow forming between his brow. I wondered what he thought of Potter.

Snape tore his gaze away from the boy, looking at the students around him, and began walking off without a word to them as they trailed along behind him.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Review Please :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2117