Inverted by Morgana
Summary: Mr Potter's best friends at Hogwarts were Mr Black and Mr Lupin, his arch-enemy Mr Snape and his childhood sweetheart, Ms Evans. On graduating Hogwarts, Mr. Potter married Ms Evans and they had a son: his name was Harry Severus Potter...
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, James, Lily, Remus, Sirius, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Character Death, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 21839 Read: 22614 Published: 08 Apr 2010 Updated: 21 Feb 2011
Aftermath by Morgana

DAILY PROPHET

*Special Evening Edition*

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is DEAD!

The Daily Prophet can exclusively reveal that, tonight, You-Know-Who, the most evil wizard in living memory, was killed at the home of Ministry of Magic executive Severus Roderick Potter, 21.

Mr Potter, who is the youngest Head of Spell Development at the Ministry of Magic for over 126 years, went into hiding last year with his wife, Lily, and young son, Harry, upon receiving intelligence of He-Who-Must-Not-be-Named intent to kill the young family. Although Mr and Mrs Potter’s home in Godric’s Hollow, named after the famed Hogwarts founder, Godric Gryffindor, was placed under the Fidelus Charm, their Secret Keeper, Auror Remus John Lupin, was murdered earlier this evening and the Deatheaters, You-Know-Who’s henchmen, tortured an unnamed individual who had been privy to the Potters’ location into disclosing the Potter’s whereabouts.

However, if He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named believed that victory was at hand when he arrived at Godric’s Hollow, he was to meet with the greatest and final surprise of his life. Mr Potter, who was standing in the front hallway of the safe-house, disarmed and beheaded the dark wizard before he could cross the threshold, using a spell of the Ministry Head’s own invention, which cuts flesh as if the caster’s wand was a sword.

Tonight, Mr Potter, a Ravenclaw, who was Head-Boy and came top of his year at Hogwarts with seven Outstanding N.E.W.Ts and twelve OWLs, ten of which were Outstandings, issued the following statement:

“Voldemort is dead and while it is natural to wish to celebrate, I ask that it be remembered that this victory has been won at an overwhelming cost. Many witches and wizards have lost their lives in the war against Voldemort and, last night, Remus John Lupin, a brave, good and decent man, joined their number, murdered for no other reason than that his decision to risk his life to protect myself and my family. Remus Lupin leaves behind grieving parents and a devastated fiancée, whose only consolation is that it appears that his death was quick, unexpected and painless. Lily, Sirius and I will never cease to mourn Remus, whose kindness, gentle, dry sense of humour and solid reliability made him a friend to treasure. Remus will be buried at a private service in Diagon Temple next Wednesday evening; any donations or flowers should be sent to St Mungos Hospital.

I would also like to note that, during tonight’s tragic events, a decent, kind and upstanding witch was seriously injured by prolonged exposure to the cruciatus curse. Lily and I send our fondest regards and best wishes to her and her family and hope for a swift recovery. Thank you.”

As editor of the Daily Prophet, I, Mungus Digglesworth, would like to extend my thanks, on behalf of the Daily Prophet and, indeed, the entire wizarding population, to the exceptionally modest, heroic and inspiring Mr Potter- or, as some people are already calling him, the ‘Saviour’- for ridding the world of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

oOoOo

“Mr Black, I am aware that you wish to apprehend the, mmh, people who murdered Mr Lupin but I simply cannot sanction it.”

“Barty, I..!”

“No, Mr Black. I am well aware that you were very close to Mr Lupin and, therefore, it would be, hmh, wholly inappropriate for you be present at the sting. You are in no fit state…”

“I don’t care what state I am in, you bastard! I’ve got to be there!” Sirius shouted, tears streaming down his pale, tired face.

“You are on compassionate leave until further notice, Mr Black.” said Bartemius Crouch, stiffly, standing up “Albus, please ensure that he remains on Hogwarts grounds.”

“Yes, of course” the Headmaster replied, gently placing an arm around Sirius’s quaking shoulders.

“I should have been there for him, Albus!” Sirius moaned “I…It’s my fault! I told Sev to make Remus Secret-keeper!”

“Come, my boy. If anyone is at fault, it is me” Dumbledore sighed “I should have offered myself as secret keeper.”

“Why didn’t you then?!” sobbed Sirius.

“I am old, my boy.” Dumbledore explained sadly “Voldemort may not be able to defeat me in battle, but, at my age, I walk with death every day. I thought it possible that Severus and Lily would need to remain in hiding for many years.”

There was a quiet knock.

“Yes, yes, come in, do.” The door into Albus’s private quarters opened and Lily stumbled out, her face blotchy and tearstained, supported by Severus who, pale, drawn and rigid, seemed to only remain upright by sheer force of will. Since Voldemort’s destruction, Severus, Lily and Harry had been staying in the safest place in the Hogwarts: Dumbledore’s tower.

Lily looked over at Sirius, who, with black eyelashes were laden with tears and handsome mouth aquiver, looked a changed man from the buoyant, boyish man who had called upon them but yesterday. “Oh Sirius!”

Albus watched the three friends embrace: Severus, eyes pinched closed, back poker-straight and expression blank, held Lily and Sirius tightly as they wept with heartbroken abandon in his arms. It was times like these that Albus knew how old he was, in soul as well as body. The last time Albus had cried in another’s arms, cried as if his heart would break, was when he took Gellert to his cell in Nurmengard: the beautiful, brilliant, tragically misguided man had held him, comforted him and kissed him goodbye before they parted forever. As the cell door had closed, Albus’s wounded, festering heart had shuddered and died.

Now another young man, whose heart was so full of grief that he could not shed a tear, had lost one he loved, albeit platonically, and gained empty, worthless accolade for defeating a dark wizard. Yes, Voldemort, unlike Gellert, would have killed Severus and his family had he not destroyed him, but the old Headmaster knew that was, at best, cold comfort. And Albus had yet more bad news to impart.

Once the children’s wails of grief had softened into sobbing breaths, Albus turned to them and spoke in a soft voice “I am aware that you are deeply bereft and, if matters could wait, I would not trouble you further…”

“What is it, Albus” Severus asked, his voice soft yet hoarse.

“I am very sorry to have to tell you…”

“Not Molly! Oh! No, no…” wailed Lily, turning to bury her head in Severus’s shoulder.

“I have received a positive account of Mrs Weasley’s progress.” Albus replied quietly “The healers expect that she will make a full recovery.”

“And Arthur?” asked Severus.

“Arthur is under medical observation: he is, of course, deeply distressed and disturbed by their ordeal and, naturally but most unfortunately, feels great guilt for having revealed your location” the Headmaster said heavily.

“Please tell him” Severus said “Tell him that I would have done the same if Lily…”

Sirius nodded “He’s not to blame…”

Albus nodded “The news I have to impart… I must ask you to brace yourself. Last night, after Voldemort’s downfall was discovered, a group of Deatheaters, determined to discover your whereabouts, visited Little Whining…”

Lily jerked up, her green eyes wide and terrified. “My sister…”

“Yes, Lily” Albus sighed “Petunia and Vernon Dursley were killed yesterday. Aurors had already been dispatched to remove your sister and brother in law to a safe-house, I sent them the moment I heard of Voldemort’s demise. Alas, they were mere minutes too late.”

As Lily wept, Severus asked, in a strained voice “You make no mention of a child. The Dursleys had a son, a boy of about Harry’s age?”

“Dudley Dursley survived” Albus replied “Bellatrix, Rabastan and Rudolphus Lestrange and young Master Crouch were apprehended before they were aware that the child was asleep upstairs.”

“Crouch?” Sirius spat “Crouch’s son! A deatheater!”

“Where is my nephew!” Lily demanded “What has happened to him?!”

“Calm yourself, Sirius. The boy has been apprehended and will be tried for his crimes. Lily, your nephew is currently in the care of Frank and Alice Longbottom, who have moved to another secure location following last night’s events.

“He should be with me! I’m his aunt!” sobbed Lily.

Severus rested his cheek against his wife’s head and closed his aching, dulled eyes “We will raise Dudley as our own, Albus.”

“Very well, my boy.”

oOoOo

DAILY PROPHET

*Special Evening Edition*

Deatheaters Apprehended At Fake Funeral

This evening sixteen Death-eaters, members of the terrorist organisation upon which He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named founded his power, were apprehended during a sting operation focused around the fake funeral of War-Hero, Auror Remus John Lupin, who was secretly laid to rest in an undisclosed location earlier this week.

The terrorists staged the dastardly ambush in hope of murdering Mr Lupin’s childhood friend, Severus Potter, who, last week, killed Voldemort when the evil warlock staged an attack on the Potter household. However, the ambushers quickly realised that they, themselves, had walked into an ambush when senior officials Alastor ‘mad-eye’ Moody and Amelia Bones, disguised as the Potters, mounted an offensive against the intruders, aided by 'priest' Bartemius Crouch and the fifty other ‘mourners’ from the Ministry of Magic Auror department.

Swiftly overwhelmed, the fleeing Deatheaters fell foul of anti-apparition jinxes and, surrounded by the brave defenders of Magical Law, surrendered to justice.

Eight Deatheaters died in the battle of Diagon Temple this evening: Fenrir Greyback, Abraham Goyle, Marvolo Mulciber, Antonin Dolohov, Evan Rosier, Solomon and Arctus Avery and Augustus Rookwood. Among those captured were Timothy Selwyn, Gaius Nott, Stephen Yaxley, Alecto Carrow, Waldern Mcnair, Graham Crabbe, Orcus Travers and Walter Nott.

Aurors Alastor Moody, Frank Longbottom, Hester Jones and Sturgis Podmore were injured during their valiant efforts to bring these wicked terrorists to justice. I, Mungus Digglesworth, would like to extend my thanks, on behalf of the Daily Prophet and, I am sure, the wizarding population of Great Britain, to these brave Witches and Wizards and wish them a speedy and complete recovery.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2122