Summer School by Lady Lanera
Summary: In response to Jan_AQ's challenge "Summer School," Harry learns that he is going to be spending his summer in school because he did absolutely appalling on his finals during fourth-year. He's not happy about it, though, because it was supposed to be his first summer of not having to live with the Dursleys. However, at Hogwarts, they have a different approach to summer school than Muggles do. Summer school teachers cannot teach their own subject. What, oh, what will Snape teach, if not Potions?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity, Romance/Het, Violence
Prompts: Summer School
Challenges: Summer School
Series: Ties that Bind
Chapters: 36 Completed: Yes Word count: 81042 Read: 177992 Published: 15 Apr 2010 Updated: 12 Aug 2010
Loving Shadows by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
Enjoy. :)

The next time I awaken, it is dark out again. I draw in a deep breath and instantly notice that it doesn't hurt to breathe anymore. My eyes flutter open before I glance around. It appears I am alone in the Infirmary, but the question is for how long. Madam Pomfrey is not one to wait for a person to wake up fully before she jumps on one of her patients again.

My eyes notice the dark shadow resting in the chair to my left. I smile softly. It is rather nice to know someone who cares for me stayed the night. I watch Snape sleep for a few more minutes before sighing. I can tell he's uncomfortable in his chair. However, it warms my heart that he stayed with me.

A movement out of the corner of my eye makes me glance towards the movement. My eyes narrow on the second figure next to my bedside. Curled up in a chair is Professor Sinistra, who is to my right. Her eyes hide carefully as she too sleeps soundly. I should have known that she would have been here with Snape. I then bite back a sigh when her eyes open.

"Harry," Professor Sinistra quietly whispers while she leans forward towards me. "How are you?" I only shrug, which makes her nod. She then glances at Snape. "He's certainly going to be stiff."

I flash a brief amused smile at her. I can imagine how Snape would grumble once he awakens. I then watch Professor Sinistra stand up before she leans over me. She presses a gentle kiss against my forehead and smoothes my hair down. I cannot help it as my stomach clenches at the tenderness she shows me. It is so reminiscent of how a mother acts with her child.

"You still owe me that duel, Harry," Professor Sinistra whispers quietly with a smirk. "I expect you to make a full recovery. Is that understood?" I nod once. "Good boy," she replies lovingly. "I should probably go before Severus wakes up. Wouldn't want to hear the grump in the morning," she jokes. "Sleep well, Harry, and I'll see you in the morning." She then quietly leaves, and I sigh.

I didn't even have a chance to tell her what I learned in Snape's Astronomy class. However, I think maybe that is the point of her leaving…the fact that we are going to speak again. Maybe summer school isn't so bad.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2127