Summer School by Lady Lanera
Summary: In response to Jan_AQ's challenge "Summer School," Harry learns that he is going to be spending his summer in school because he did absolutely appalling on his finals during fourth-year. He's not happy about it, though, because it was supposed to be his first summer of not having to live with the Dursleys. However, at Hogwarts, they have a different approach to summer school than Muggles do. Summer school teachers cannot teach their own subject. What, oh, what will Snape teach, if not Potions?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity, Romance/Het, Violence
Prompts: Summer School
Challenges: Summer School
Series: Ties that Bind
Chapters: 36 Completed: Yes Word count: 81042 Read: 178029 Published: 15 Apr 2010 Updated: 12 Aug 2010
Bridging the Gap by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
Hope all of you enjoy the long chapter. :)

"How can…um…you…you know…hear me?" I ask hesitantly. I'm rather certain that I haven't spoken aloud, which only means one thing. "Wait. There is such a thing as mind reading?"

"Not exactly," Professor Sinistra replies before glancing at Snape. She then sighs and glances at me. "There's a form of mental arts that Severus and I both know that unfortunately makes you practically scream in our heads." My eyes narrow on her.

"I've never heard of anything like this," I respond.

"Of course you haven't," Snape drawls. "It's not something a person would ever learn at Hogwarts from their teachers." He then shakes his head slowly. "Normally, we don't lower our barriers near students. However, we've had to in your case given your track record for trouble."

I then whirl around towards Professor Sinistra. They probably already know what I'm going to say, but I feel I need to say it anyway. I mean, who could blame me?

"That's how you knew about Malfoy," I exclaim. She nods curtly before drawing in a breath. I then glance towards Snape. "And that's why you started acting like a—" I stop myself short before I say the word 'git.' "That's why you were acting so strange," I say correcting myself. He nods curtly in response. "But isn't there a law or something against reading your student's mind?"

"Potter, the Headmaster doesn't care what we do if it saves your life," Snape responds. "And you need not tell Mr. Weasley about any of this. You are the only student whose thoughts I listen to."

"So is it like a telly then? You just tune into whatever channel my thoughts are on and listen?" Snape chuckles at me and shakes his head.

"It is most definitely not like that, Potter." He then sighs before glancing at the floor.

I've never seen him act before so strangely. I glance at Professor Sinistra and see her smile. I watch Snape as he collects his thoughts. He looks like he is wrestling with himself over telling me.

"Severus, tell him. Harry needs to know."

"Very well," Snape replies. He then holds my gaze. "As part of our agreement with your guardianship, I had asked the Headmaster if it was acceptable if I created a bridge between our minds." My eyes narrow on him, but he continues. "After our signing of the papers, I entered your mind and created the current bridge between our minds. I can discreetly hear your thoughts, and I am withholding mine from you." I then briefly glance towards Professor Sinistra. "Her mental link is through me. As with you, there are times when I withhold my thoughts from her."

"Severus taught me Occlumency while we were students at Hogwarts so a mental bond formed between us," she explains. "I cannot hear you as well as Severus can, but I can still hear you. You're just a tad bit more muffled." She then smiles again. "I make it a habit not to be listening in, though. There are only so many snide thoughts a person can take before she starts to feel like she's going insane. And I've reached my tolerance for that long ago."

"I apologize for not informing you earlier of the link between us, but I did not wish you to be using it foolishly."

"Yeah, I got that," I reply quietly. "So this link is why you always walk in after I do something wrong?" He smirks and folds his arms in a manner that I know is his 'What do you think'. "You said that you're not letting me hear your thoughts. I could, though?" I ask. "I mean, we could communicate in our heads like telepathically?"

"We could, but I fail to see what good that would do."

It'd just be nice to know I'm not alone, I think before glancing up. Snape catches my eyes again and sighs. As soon as I thought it, I knew he heard it. Stupid, stupid, that was so stupid, Harry, I chastise myself.

Mr. Potter, cease in your debasing of yourself any further, Snape's voice drawls in my mind, and know that you are never alone.

I glance at Snape. I don't know how to explain it, but just his saying that has calmed my nerves. I feel my silly fears pushed aside and a strange peace falls over me. I draw in a breath, hoping the feeling remains for forever. However, the feeling then quickly retracts, and I feel almost empty.

"It's all right, Harry. You'll get used to it with time. As Severus said, though, you can only use the link in emergencies."

"Why?"

"If someone, say a certain dark lord for example, learned that Severus and your mind were linked, it'd be dangerous," Professor Sinistra responds. "We need to keep this between us, Harry. Do you understand? You cannot tell any of the Weasleys nor Hermione. It's not that we don't trust them because they've shown through the years that they are entirely trustworthy and loyal."

"Then why is it?"

"To protect them, Harry," she responds softly. "We won't tell them in order to protect them." She then drew in a deep breath. "However, we do need to talk about your telling the Weasleys about Severus and me." She folds her arms across her chest. "I'm sure Severus would agree that you didn't do it to be malicious, but there is a specific reason why we didn't want anyone to know, Harry."

"Oh," I reply. "I'm sorry, Professor. I didn't know."

"Of course you didn't. However, that foolish Gryffindor side of yours is going to need to be silenced." She then glances towards Severus. "Now, it isn't my place to say this, but it appears that it'd be in our best interest if you started to act a bit more…Slytherin."

"But I'm a Gryffindor."

"That is sorely obvious, Potter," Snape drawls with a scoff.

"Professor, I don't understand. What is it that you're asking me?" I ask ignoring Snape.

"Well, it seems to me that you need to learn how to act with a bit more self-preservation and more thinking before acting. Since you are the ward of the head of Slytherin, I'm sure you could perhaps learn what it means to be a Slytherin."

"But I'm a Gryffindor, though," I respond, still not understanding.

"Do you think the Hat sorts you based on black and white traits?" I shake my head. "You're correct. It doesn't. For example, your friend Hermione is a Gryffindor. She is very brave and loyal, and I'm sure Severus would agree with me on that description. However, she is also extremely brilliant. Is she not, Harry?" I nod. "Then could you not say that she has some Ravenclaw tendencies in her?"

"Yeah," I respond with a sigh. "So you're going to work on emphasizing more Slytherin in me?"

"Precisely," Professor Sinistra replies smiling. "You will still be a Gryffindor, Harry. We won't take that from you. It is your true House." When Snape scoffs, she instantly glares at him. "No, Severus, it is his true House. He belongs in Gryffindor with his friends."

"He speaks to snakes, Aurora," Snape silkily retorts.

"We still don't know if that is something Harry can do or if it something that transferred," she reminds him. She then glances back at me, and I can see the warmth in her dark eyes. "Even Salazar Slytherin had Gryffindor tendencies at times, Harry. There's nothing for you to concern yourself over."

"I'm not concerned, though. But what do you mean that he had Gryffindor tendencies? I always heard that he wanted to kill the Muggleborns. There doesn't seem to be anything Gryffindor about that."

"Well, before Slytherin acted on his prejudices, he was friends with Gryffindor. Now, legend has it that a wizard came to Hogwarts. Most of the details have been lost with time about that wizard, but what most people do know is that the wizard tried to sway Slytherin to his side in order to usurp Gryffindor so that Hogwarts stopped accepting Muggleborns. As I said before, Slytherin and Gryffindor were still friends at this time. So when this wizard tried to sway Slytherin, Slytherin became outraged. He showed fierce loyalty to Gryffindor and refused to betray his friend. In fact, legend has it that Slytherin used the Sword of Gryffindor to kill the wizard."

"But that sword is only for true Gryffindors, though," I instantly say.

"Oh, yes, and it is, Harry, but that day Slytherin showed it that he was in that moment a true Gryffindor."

My eyes narrow. Some parts of that story don't make any sense with what Dumbledore had told me after the whole Chamber of Secrets incident.

"Well, that is at least one theory. The other theory is that Slytherin killed the wizard with his own sword, which according to that legend is as legendary as Gryffindor's sword," Snape interjects. "It all depends on which story you would rather believe."

"Slytherin had a sword like Gryffindor's?"

"Supposedly, they both received swords after the Goblin Wars. However, no one has ever found evidence of this supposed Sword of Slytherin," Snape answers. I can tell he doesn't give it much merit.

"What would happen if someone found the sword?" I ask curiously.

"Oh, no you don't," Snape growls glaring at me. "Listen to me very carefully, Potter. You are not to look for that sword. I don't care if you do think you're Merlin's gift to this world. You are not going to look for that sword. And if I ever find out that you were, then I assure you that I will make damn sure you deink octopi for an entire year with your bare hands. Is that understood?"

"Yes, sir," I respond softly. Jeez, Snape, I was only asking, I think moodily.

"That will be quite enough of your attitude, Potter," he growls. "You've nearly given me heart failure twice now with your ridiculous stunts. I will not let you succeed in trying it a third time."

I can't help it. I grin at his words. It is the closest we've come to him admitting orally that he cares since he received guardianship of me. I can feel his glare, but it doesn't make me stop smiling. He cares. He truly does care for me. I then feel Professor Sinistra gently rest her hands on my shoulders as she stands behind me.

"Harry, stop goading Severus. Severus, stop snarling at Harry," she says motherly. I glance up at her with my wide grin. She glances down at me and rolls her eyes. "You are such a Gryffindor," she teases before ruffling my hair affectionately. She then narrows her eyes on me. "You still owe me that summary of what Severus taught you the other day." Something in me rises up and before I know it, I am rambling like a Hufflepuff on butterbeer.

"I learned about the Andromeda constellation. Like Snape taught me, that the person who discovered it probably named it after Greek Mythology subjects." She smiles at me and nods. I can tell she's trying not to laugh. I don't know why I'm rambling, but I am unfortunately. Hearing myself, I would be just like her wanting to laugh. I'm being ridiculous right now. However, I can't stop myself. "Oh, and I learned how to remember its location too. Cassiopeia was Andromeda's mother so that helps with determining its location because a parent is always above her child in family trees. Then Snape taught me that Perseus became Andromeda's husband, so that's why he's next to her in the sky." After I finish, I take a very large gulp of air. I haven't even realized that I haven't taken a breath for a while.

"Sounds like you learned a lot, Harry," Professor Sinistra replies before glancing at Severus.

"Yeah, I have," I reply. "Snape's a great teacher." I then hear what I said. "Oh no, I didn't, oh, I didn't mean you weren't a good teacher. You are, Professor. It's just—" she then interrupts me.

"Hush, Harry. I understood what you meant. You didn't insult me."

I then sigh heavily. I'm acting like a complete idiot in front of her, and I don't even know why. She has to be thinking I'm an imbecile. I'm sure without a doubt that is what Snape is thinking at least.

Not at all, Potter, Snape's voice drawls in my head. I'm just enjoying listening to you dig yourself into a very large hole.

I glance at Snape. He meets my glance with his own. I can see the amusement in his eyes. I'm glad I could entertain Snape. I feel my spirits dwindle again. I am such an idiot. I then start to count the seconds of silence in my head silently. I wish I knew why I was being such an idiot around her.

Would you like a hint, Potter? I sigh dejectedly in response. You are feeling affection towards her because you crave the motherly warmth she's been giving you. I open my mouth to retort, but Snape speaks in my head again. There is nothing wrong with that feeling, Potter. It is natural. Your Muggle relatives paid no attention to you, and while you will not admit so vocally, I know the truth.

I feel a chill sweep down my spine at that statement. If Snape does know the full extent of the Dursleys' abuse, then… I allow my thought to flutter away. I don't want to remember it. Not now with Snape around. Probably I wouldn't want him ever to know the full truth. It's good for everyone right now to think that the Dursleys only neglected me.

"Well, Severus, do you want to tell him the good news? Or should I tell him?"

"What good news?" I ask curiously. I watch Snape then sigh before he motions to her to tell.

"Madam Pomfrey believes that you are strong enough to go to your classes today. In other words, Harry, she's absolved your prison sentence," Professor Sinistra jokes.

I can't help but laugh. I know it's not even a funny joke. I then sigh. Snape's probably right. I probably do crave the attention she's giving me. However, I quickly forget it as I realize what they said. I don't have to be stuck in the dreary rooms anymore. I can go to classes. Who would have thought that would have made me so happy? It's funny how quickly things change.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2127