Summer School by Lady Lanera
Summary: In response to Jan_AQ's challenge "Summer School," Harry learns that he is going to be spending his summer in school because he did absolutely appalling on his finals during fourth-year. He's not happy about it, though, because it was supposed to be his first summer of not having to live with the Dursleys. However, at Hogwarts, they have a different approach to summer school than Muggles do. Summer school teachers cannot teach their own subject. What, oh, what will Snape teach, if not Potions?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity, Romance/Het, Violence
Prompts: Summer School
Challenges: Summer School
Series: Ties that Bind
Chapters: 36 Completed: Yes Word count: 81042 Read: 178006 Published: 15 Apr 2010 Updated: 12 Aug 2010
Swordplay in History by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
Enjoy. :)

I walk into my History of Magic class and drop myself into my seat. My head then hits my desk. Snape is so going to murder me. I don't have a chance. I hear the rest of the students filter in, and I have to force myself to look up at Professor Flitwick.

"Oh, my, Mr. Potter, are you certain you are well enough for class?" Professor Flitwick says with concern as he stands atop of a stack of books.

"Yes, sir," I respond somberly. I quietly then open up my textbook and glance at the words. I can hear the small Charms professor droning on about some war, but I'm not paying attention. Instead, I'm flipping through my textbook.

"What's wrong with you, Potter?" Malfoy hisses next to me.

"Nothing," I respond with a huff.

"That's bull, Potter, and you know it. What's wrong?"

"Oh, what do you care anyway, Malfoy?" I angrily snarl back in a low voice so Flitwick doesn't catch us talking. The last thing I need is Snape hearing that I was talking in class.

"It's not cause of me, is it? You know, because of my stupid hex on you?"

"No, it's got nothing to do with you, Malfoy. Now, leave me the hell alone."

"Jeez, Potter, I was only trying to help," responds the blond Slytherin.

"Yeah, well, I don't need your help, Malfoy." I then angrily flip towards the front of my textbook. My anger ceases instantly when I reach the Founders' history. One drawing in particular draws my attention the most. It is a picture of Slytherin and Gryffindor. My eyes narrow on the two wizards, and I slowly lean forward towards it to see what both men are holding in their hands. It can't be, can it? I then glance towards Malfoy who is busy writing notes down. "Hey, Malfoy, look on page 35 for a moment." The blond gives me the look of 'why should I,' which I can understand. "Just do it." He huffs loudly, but finally turns to the page. "Is Slytherin holding a sword in his right hand?" I watch Malfoy to see his reaction.

"Yeah, why, Potter?" responds Malfoy glancing at me with a strange look.

I only smile in response. It seems rather foolish of me to think it, but Malfoy really is the only one who would be able to help me find it. All of the other students would tell Snape in a heartbeat. Malfoy at least has some sense. I then shudder as the thought occurs that Malfoy's a bit like Hermione. They're both smart and amazing at Potions. I then sigh. If Ron ever found out I willingly went anywhere with Malfoy, he'd kill me, but Snape was already going to kill me anyway. So what did it matter?

"Wait a minute. This isn't another of your stupid adventures, is it, Potter? Because if it is, then count me out of it. I already got my arse reamed by Snape for last time you and I did anything."

"Oh, come on, Draco. Where's your sense of fun?"

"It's called self-preservation, Potter," Draco drawled. "It's a trait you Gryffindors wish you had."

"Hey, I have survival instincts, Malfoy."

"Then why don't you ever use then, Potter?" He then huffs loudly before glancing at me. "You do realize that if Snape finds out what you're up to that he's going to make damn sure that next term you aren't with your friends, right?"

"Well, then we won't tell him, will we, Draco?"

"You're crazy, Potter. He'll know the minute he sees us together." Malfoy then glances back to Flitwick. "Just pay attention and get your grades up. Merlin knows it might do you some good."

"Oh, yeah, and why are you here, Malfoy?" I snottily snarl towards him. I know that he is here because of something dealing with his father. I remember that from after I woke up in the Infirmary. However, my temper has taken over unfortunately. I wait for Draco's reply, but he doesn't.

"Ah, Mr. Potter, would you like to answer my question?" Professor Flitwick asks.

"Um, yeah, sure, sir," I respond glancing back at the Charms professor.

"Excellent, now, legend states that the famed Sword of Excalibur now rests where?"

"In a lake, sir," I respond. "Arthur told his knights to throw his sword into a lake so no one could have it. Supposedly, it rests now with the Lady of the Lake."

"Excellent, Mr. Potter." Flitwick then lectures more about the famed sword, which I truthfully listen only with one ear. I can't stop thinking about Slytherin's sword.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2127