Summer School by Lady Lanera
Summary: In response to Jan_AQ's challenge "Summer School," Harry learns that he is going to be spending his summer in school because he did absolutely appalling on his finals during fourth-year. He's not happy about it, though, because it was supposed to be his first summer of not having to live with the Dursleys. However, at Hogwarts, they have a different approach to summer school than Muggles do. Summer school teachers cannot teach their own subject. What, oh, what will Snape teach, if not Potions?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity, Romance/Het, Violence
Prompts: Summer School
Challenges: Summer School
Series: Ties that Bind
Chapters: 36 Completed: Yes Word count: 81042 Read: 178012 Published: 15 Apr 2010 Updated: 12 Aug 2010
Waiting Ends by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
Enjoy the long awaited answer. I'm not really sure why I torture poor Harry. :)

To say I'm shocked is a huge understatement. I mean, sure, I have been Snape's ward for the past year and it's been great, but adoption…adoption means a family. I've always wanted a family, people who love me, but I gave up on that dream long ago. For thirteen years, I've dreamt of this one moment, and now that it has come, I'm shocked. I know that Snape and I have been getting closer to each other this past year. We've even been a bit friendlier. But this, taking this step, is huge! I would be…I wouldn't just be Harry the poor orphan that Snape takes care of anymore. I would be Harry his legally adopted son. Am I ready for that? Am I ready to say yes to Snape? Am I ready to think of him as my new father?

I can hear someone talking softly in the background, and it takes me a few seconds to realize it is Snape talking. Suddenly, the document disappears as Snape plucks it from my hands. My green eyes dart up, and I stare at Snape. Why did he take it back from me? Is he already regretting having asked me? I open my mouth to speak my fears, but he speaks first.

"I see. Well, then cast it out of your mind, Harry," Snape drawls as he walks away from me with my adoption papers firmly in his hands.

"No, Snape, wait," I say to call him back. My words are just a few seconds too late. I watch in horror as the parchment flies towards the fireplace. Without thinking, I leap forward trying to reach my one shot of true happiness. My fingers catch the paper just as a corner catches on fire.

"What the hell are you doing, Potter?" Snape yells behind me.

However, I ignore him and try to put out the tiny flame that's trying to destroy my happiness. I slam my hand down repeatedly on the enflamed corner, not noticing that it burns my hand in the process. I can't let the flames burn those papers. I need those papers! I am ready for all this. I am most definitely ready to say yes to Snape. I want him as my new father. I need him. I want to be his son!

In pure panic mode, my hand slams harder and harder down on the corner. A few seconds later, I have effectively extinguished the flame and unfortunately crushed the burnt ashes of part of the document. I then grin widely. I saved it. Glancing up at Snape, I notice he is glaring daggers at me.

"Are you bloody INSANE?" he yells before yanking me up to my feet. His eyes are the darkest that I've ever seen them. He looks as if he's practically holding himself back by a thread just to keep himself from throttling me. He rips the adoption paper out of my hands and throws it carelessly back behind him before roughly grabbing my hand to inspect it.

I wince at the blisters already forming on my palm. In all the excitement, I hadn't notice that I burned my hand. I watch Snape carefully examine my burns. I can tell by how he's not breathing heavily anymore that he's calmed down somewhat. In hindsight, that was rather foolish of me to use my hand to put out the flame, but I am not going to let my one chance of happiness disappear.

"Sinistra, bring me—thank you," Snape says as Professor Sinistra silently hands him a jar of orange goop, which I recognize as burn-healing paste.

I smile softly while Snape gently rubs the paste into my palm. He's being extra careful not to hurt me. My eyes then dart towards Professor Sinistra who hasn't moved away from us. Her eyes catch mine, and I can see relief and amusement hidden behind her dark eyes. I then notice that she's holding onto my badly burned adoption papers.

"You're a goddamn fool, Potter," Snape growls softly. "You're lucky you only burned your hand." He then angrily shakes his head as he massages more of the paste into my palm. "No goddamn reason for you to leap at the fireplace like an imbecile towards a piece of paper that has no purpose for either of us anyway," he mumbles.

"But it does have a reason," I reply just as quietly as he does. A few moments later, I notice him stop in his ministrations of my hand and glance at me. "I was trying to say yes," I whisper. "You didn't let me say it, though."

"Merlin, Potter, I gave you plenty of time to give me your answer! You just refused to speak."

"Because it's a big step for us, Snape," I argue. "I've always wanted a family. Every time I get close to having one, though, I lose that one shot. I just don't want to mess this shot up, Snape." He stares at me for a few moments before continuing his deep massage of the paste into my palm. He is rather skilled at healing. I'll give him that much.

"So you then thought what? That I'd just know what you were trying to say?"

"Well, we do have that link, don't we?" I point out. He's trying his best to avoid my eyes.

"In case it has escaped your notice, Harry, I am trying not to invade your privacy."

"That would have been a good time to invade my privacy, though. I mean, sometimes I just get so wrapped up in my own head that I lose sight of things." I then glance towards my happiness in Professor Sinistra's hands. "Can it be repaired?"

"It's badly burned, Harry, but it does appear that all areas where you have to sign are still intact," Professor Sinistra says with a faint smile. "We'd just have to be very careful with it."

"So if I wanted to, I could still sign it?" She nods before glancing at Snape. "Snape, I want to be part of a family. I want a dad."

"That document is badly burned, though. I'll speak with the headmaster, however, about—"

"No," I exclaim. "No, Snape, I don't want to wait anymore. I've waited thirteen years already. Can't we just sign this document?"

"Potter, that document looks like it met a dragon, though."

"So…who cares? As long as we can still sign it, we should."

"It is a Ministry document, though, Harry. When we sign that document, it will appear within seconds deep inside of the Ministry. What do you think the poor Ministry official will think about either of us when he or she sees that monstrosity?"

"Well, I think it states us rather well, Snape. We're both survivors like it. Now, I like it burnt, and I don't want another document. I want that one," I argue.

"Potter—"

"No," I respond childishly. "I don't want to wait another day for the Ministry to send us a new one. I want to be your son now." He stares at me for a few moments before muttering something under his breath. He then conjures up a quill and glances towards Professor Sinistra. All three of us slowly walk towards the island in the kitchenette. I watch Snape sign first before slicing his finger on the metallic bottom of the document. I watch him press his bleeding finger onto the spot next to his signature and watch it glow for a few seconds before fading. "I have to do that too?" I ask rather shocked. From what I had learned about Muggle adoptions, it was nowhere near like this one.

"If you wish for the adoption to go through, then yes," Snape replies. He then glances at me. "You didn't honestly believe that we Wizards just signed a document claiming a child as ours, did you?" I don't respond, which makes him sigh. "Adoptions are taken very seriously in our world. With my signature, I am showing proof of consent to the adoption. With my blood stained next to it, I am stating that I wish us to be of the same flesh and blood as any normal child would be with his parent."

"Then why did your blood glow just a few seconds ago?"

"It's his magic, Harry," Professor Sinistra explains. "You see, he is adopting you by blood, by magic, and by legal means. It's a full adoption. When a person does this, it usually symbolizes that he cares deeply for the child and wishes for the child to be his own."

"Isn't that what an adoption is supposed to be, though?"

"Yes, but sometimes people just adopt to adopt unfortunately. Severus, however, is bonding you by blood and magic to him. You see, you share magical and blood bonds with your parents. By Severus doing this, he is claiming you to be his son by magic and blood. Genetically speaking, you'll still be the son of James and Lily Potter. However, the adoption will magically bond you with Severus as if he were your true father."

"Oh," I say quietly. "I'll still have some of my dad in me, though, right?"

"Of course, Harry," Professor Sinistra responds. "Nothing can ever take a father from his son."

I nod slowly before grabbing the quill from Snape. I sign my name just below his and sigh. I can't help but wonder if this bonding thing will hurt. I take a deep breath and decide just to suck it up. I slice my finger along the metal edge at the bottom and press my blood deeply into the document. I then pull my finger back and smile as my blood glows before fading.

"That's it?" I ask, glancing at both adults. I receive my answer a few moments later as the document vanishes with a faint pop. I smile widely. I am now the adopted child of Severus Snape. Who would have thought that would actually be a good thing? I wonder what Ron and Hermione will say.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2127