Summer School by Lady Lanera
Summary: In response to Jan_AQ's challenge "Summer School," Harry learns that he is going to be spending his summer in school because he did absolutely appalling on his finals during fourth-year. He's not happy about it, though, because it was supposed to be his first summer of not having to live with the Dursleys. However, at Hogwarts, they have a different approach to summer school than Muggles do. Summer school teachers cannot teach their own subject. What, oh, what will Snape teach, if not Potions?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Sinistra
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity, Romance/Het, Violence
Prompts: Summer School
Challenges: Summer School
Series: Ties that Bind
Chapters: 36 Completed: Yes Word count: 81042 Read: 177992 Published: 15 Apr 2010 Updated: 12 Aug 2010
Detention with Snape by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
Enjoy. :)

I somberly walk into the classroom that is almost as dour as its teacher is. I then snort at the thought. That just goes to show that I've spent a lot of time with Ron these past weeks. I would probably do it again, though. I haven't had nearly enough fun in my life. I mean, other than Quidditch, DADA, Charms, and Transfiguration I'm not good at this whole school thing here.

"Sit," Snape says without looking up from the book he's reading at his desk.

I do as he says and sigh heavily. My cloak is somewhat scratchy against my neck, but I'm not about to let Snape learn that. He might then make me drink another potion because I could be allergic to my cloak, god forbid. I then look around the room. The stupid Muggle saying comes to my mind then. I glance back to Snape awaiting my instructions. He's still reading, though. I start to swing my legs as if I am a little kid. Five minutes pass by with irritating silence, and I can't stand it anymore. The silence is just killing me, so I say that stupid Muggle saying aloud.

"So…love what you've done with the place."

"What in Merlin's name are you talking about?" His head has snapped up as he glances towards me.

"Oh, um…I don't know. It's just something Muggles say."

"And you felt the need to lower yourself why?" he replies while shutting his book.

"No idea. So, what are we doing tonight?"

"We are doing nothing. You are doing something."

"You're honestly going to punish me because of—"

"You thought I wouldn't?" When I wisely remain silent, he looks somewhat pleased with me. "I see that we might have to teach basic thinking over this summer." He then pulls out a copy of my grade report. He then grimaces at the sight of a grade. He tells me luckily which grade is the one troubling him. "You got a Dreadful in Astronomy? How in the hell do you get a Dreadful in Astronomy?"

"Um…well, you see—"

"No. I fail to see how you could get a Dreadful." He then glares at me. "Even Longbottom passed Astronomy. What, you thought you didn't give me enough trouble so you had to fail nearly all your classes? Honestly, Harry, you should have been able to pull off at least an Exceeds Expectations."

"Oh, yeah, and how was I supposed to do that, Snape?"

"Gee, Potter, maybe you could have asked Sinistra the times she ate dinner with us."

"It's not my fault."

"Oh, and whose fault is it?" He then crosses his arms, making me glance away.  "Oh no you don't, Harry. Look at me when I am speaking to you." His eyes meet mine. "I believe I'd like to hear who you are blaming for this."

"It's my fault," I mutter grudgingly under my breath.

"Oh and why is that?"

"Because—"

"Because you were being lazy, because you have a poor attitude concerning school, because you stupidly believed me not to care about your grades, and because you failed to ask for help when you so badly needed it. I believe the Headmaster has told you once that we at Hogwarts will always be here to help if only a person asks for it, but did you ask? No. You naively allowed yourself and your grades to suffer all the while you were out having fun. I understand that you wish to have a normal childhood, but I believe we both know that likelihood of happening is about as likely as Sinistra teaching Potions. It won't ever happen, and if it does, then something is seriously wrong with the world."

"I'm sorry. How many times must I say it?"

"Until you actually mean it, Harry," he replies calmly. "Until you actually understand that not all adults are the same bastards as your so-called relatives were. You could have asked, but you didn't. As a result, you now have to attend summer school."

"But—"

"Yes, well, you should have thought about that before you failed your classes, Harry." He then shakes his head before looking at me. "Honestly, a Dreadful in Astronomy…?"

"I hate you."

"Ah, is this the part where I'm supposed to melt into a puddle of tears?" he mocks. "Grow up. Life is not always going to be fun. I would have thought you learned that at least."

"Ron said—"

"Oh yes, the great Ronald Weasley, do tell me what that idiot said? Quite frankly, I'm impressed he even had a thought."

I glare at Snape, but it doesn't affect him in the slightest.

"Ron said that I deserved a relaxing summer after the years I've had with the Dursleys."

"Well, Mr. Weasley is just a child, so of course he'd say that. All you children think about is fun. Hell, I wonder what all of you would do if we teachers just suddenly decided that we didn't want to teach anymore but wanted to play?"

"Probably like you more," I mumble.

"Which is why we don't do such idiotic things," he responds with a slight growl.

"Yeah, but—"

"Honestly, you are fourteen. Do try to act like one instead of this toddler you're impersonating."

"Well, I—"

"Did you ask either me or Professor Sinistra for help?"

"Well, no, but—"

"And did you ask Professors Binns or Sprout?"

"Well, no, but—"

"Well no but nothing," he responds quickly. "You failed to ask for help, Harry. Do you understand how others might perceive this to be a bad thing? It is a tendency of yours that we must work on, which is why I recommended to the Headmaster that you attend summer school."

"It's not because of my grades then?"

"Your grades were only an opportunity, Harry. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness. It is a sign of maturity." He then sighs. "Remember that always." He then jerks his head towards the door. "You're dismissed, but I expect to see you first thing tomorrow morning for school." I do as he says and leave.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2127